New Immigration Office

Tywais

Since it has transitioned from rumor to a certainty based on reports I believe a new topic dedicated to the new office is in order. During this transition there are going to be questions and I will start off a small list of them and hope we can fill in the blanks. A member PMed me with some important questions and will put them here. Current opening date is July 20 at Promenada Resort Mall (Google Map)

1. Transportation - for those without cars/mc how does one get there? There is a free shuttle bus, but there schedule is sparse, limited pickup points, starts late and based on reports unreliable. Next are tuk-tuks, red songthaews, taxis, private hire, etc. So hope members can fill in the blanks as to viability and costs of using these or other options.

2. Mail-in 90 day reports. Same address or is there a new one for the new location?

3. Services. Based on below it would appear some services will still be at the old building. They do not mention extensions based on marriage, extensions based on work/business or extensions for teachers/academics so assume these will continue in the old facility.

Services provided (G Floor Building A)
-Retirement
-90 days report
-Tourist Visa
-Medical Case
-Re-entry Permit

The below are images supplied by members showing the opening. First one by HillyWilly and the second one by maanoi.

post-566-0-50796500-1435984236_thumb.jpg post-566-0-14110800-1435984242_thumb.png

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A couple other questions:

Will they continue to offer some of the same services at the current office? For example, it's my understanding that in some provinces you can submit 90-day reports in several locations.

What about Cert. of Residency? Will that remain across the highway with the Burmese?

"3. Services. Based on below it would appear some services will still be at the old building. They do not mention extensions based on marriage, extensions based on work/business or extensions for teachers/academics so assume these will continue in the old facility."

Or they simply omitted them from the poster in error/lack of space as it makes little sense to have a separate office?

"3. Services. Based on below it would appear some services will still be at the old building. They do not mention extensions based on marriage, extensions based on work/business or extensions for teachers/academics so assume these will continue in the old facility."

Or they simply omitted them from the poster in error/lack of space as it makes little sense to have a separate office?

In a way it does as it will significantly reduce the crowding at one office. Or they may want to do it in steps due to resources & space. Will like to find out as my reserved queue for annual extension is Sept. 7 for purpose of work (academia). smile.png

In a way it does as it will significantly reduce the crowding at one office. Or they may want to do it in steps due to resources & space. Will like to find out as my reserved queue for annual extension is Sept. 7 for purpose of work (academia). smile.png

Waiting for passports to be signed off by the boss is nearly always the longest part of any extensions, it would mean someone would have to be designated to do that if there were 2 offices, not something those in power like to do general(ly)? (-:

Speculation, of course, but if the reason for the move is so that they can renovate/remodel/expand the existing facility, then it's unlikely that any services would remain there.

I'll believe it's a good thing when we get to see the size and physical accommodation at the new facility.

Will it be a spacious area with enough chairs for all individuals waiting for service, have places to fill out forms, and a modern common-sense queuing system -- or will it be a shoe-box sized store front where everyone will need to stand outside in the mall, queues are handed out to a frenzied group of customers once a day in a "he who is the most aggressive gets a ticket" manner, and you can fill out your forms using the floor as a table and a place to sit.

And, where is the Promanade Resort. Is it a mall or a real resort? I have no idea where this place is. And Floor G? That's 7 stories. Do they have an elevator for disabled / handicapped foreigners?

One plus, maybe it will actually have A/C.

I'll believe it's a good thing when we get to see the size and physical accommodation at the new facility.

Will it be a spacious area with enough chairs for all individuals waiting for service, have places to fill out forms, and a modern common-sense queuing system -- or will it be a shoe-box sized store front where everyone will need to stand outside in the mall, queues are handed out to a frenzied group of customers once a day in a "he who is the most aggressive gets a ticket" manner, and you can fill out your forms using the floor as a table and a place to sit.

And, where is the Promanade Resort. Is it a mall or a real resort? I have no idea where this place is. And Floor G? That's 7 stories. Do they have an elevator for disabled / handicapped foreigners?

When's it open for service, that is, on which days and at what time. This 'mall' is not officially open until 11am M-F. So, at what time will immigration services be available?

Promenada Resort Mall Google Maps

Floor G = Ground Floor?

Yep, more than likely now that you mentioned it - thank goodness.

From Promenada FB regarding extensions not on the list.

• So all other types of extensions (work, marriage, student etc) that are not mentioned in this post are still done at the old immigration office?
    • 10403245_837161769678573_260342166983545
      Promenada Resort Mall Chiang Mai Yes, correct at the old immigration office. Services provided at Promenada:
      - Retirement
      - 90 days - Report
      - Tourist Visa
      - Medical Case
      - Re-entry Permit

Well done Chiang Mai immigration, good news indeed.

Well done .Yes we now have half the information required just to add to the confusion.

Would have been simple to do 2 banners, one services we will provide here, and 2 what we provide at Promenada.

Now another couple while it gets sorted

I do not think the question of mailing address for 90 day report was answered,or did I miss it? Mine is due on the 21st of july and would hate to mail it to the old office and be late.Any knowlege about new street address.

That is one of the questions that is still an unknown. Hopefully a member who goes to the old immigration for 90 day reporting will ask about that.

When answers to the various questions are posted and confirmed I will append that to the OP.

I do not think the question of mailing address for 90 day report was answered,or did I miss it? Mine is due on the 21st of july and would hate to mail it to the old office and be late.Any knowlege about new street address.

You can mail in your 90 day report up to 15 days early....so if you mailed it next week the old address should be just fine. thumbsup.gif

When's it open for service, that is, on which days and at what time. This 'mall' is not officially open until 11am M-F. So, at what time will immigration services be available?

Promenada answered that on their FB page. 8:00AM - 4:00PM

Immi officer told me it was smaller... but with parking space. Double the staff might be a good move... whistling.gif

My advice to you and others in similar situations is to go in person to complete your 90 day report on this one occasion until everything is established.

A few days after Immigration has opened in the Promenada, I intend to make a visit and survey the situation so at least I will know exactly where to go and what`s what when I visit for my visa extensions and 90 day reports.

Hopefully the 90 days online report system will be fully operational in the future that will take another load off Immigration and save us some visits.

For the moment there are still too many uncertainties that will not be clear until the new premises is in operation.

G stands for ground floor not seventh floor????

Promenada is a huge shopping mall! Where on earth have you been these last 2 or 3 years since it opened?!

G = ground floor NOT 7th!!

Let's not knock it until we actually see it shall we please?

I said this was a win win scenario when it was first mooted as a concept, am pleased to hear that it's come about, well done to the Mall owners and to Immigration for progressive thinking.

Archived