New Immigration Office

Tywais

Well this could be a good thing

Curious to see what I or others can find out about two things...

1- Mail in 90 day address remains the same or changes

2- Is the sign at old Immigration literal or just space limited?

Meaning....I do not think they would do retirement extensions at one place & Extensions based on marriage at the other.

If I had to guess I would think the old place will be closed for renovations.

Because it is the same officers who do both types of extensions

So unless they have doubled their employee count running two offices would require quite a bit more workers or both offices would be much slower.

If I get a chance will stop by the old office this week & inquire at least about the mail in address as ironically according to my calender reminder I have to send a 90 on July 20th smile.png

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll believe it's a good thing when we get to see the size and physical accommodation at the new facility.

Will it be a spacious area with enough chairs for all individuals waiting for service, have places to fill out forms, and a modern common-sense queuing system -- or will it be a shoe-box sized store front where everyone will need to stand outside in the mall, queues are handed out to a frenzied group of customers once a day in a "he who is the most aggressive gets a ticket" manner, and you can fill out your forms using the floor as a table and a place to sit.

And, where is the Promanade Resort. Is it a mall or a real resort? I have no idea where this place is. And Floor G? That's 7 stories. Do they have an elevator for disabled / handicapped foreigners?

One plus, maybe it will actually have A/C.

The new space at Promenada is no larger than the current location at the airport... If anything, the net total space is smaller...

Floor G is on the ground floor of the mall, no elevator, escalator or stairs required... In fact, the new immigration office is accessible from the parking garage...

The mall does not open until 11:00am, although Rimping is open at 8:00am... So it is possible to have an early immigration appointment and still grab a bite to eat at the Rimping restaurant before the rest of the mall opens...

I've been there, talked to the guys doing the fitting out. It's a tiny area, a lot smaller than the current premises. After the officers' desks are brought in, IMO, there will be enough room for about 10 of us. Totally inadequate. I am really disappointed that the opportunity to construct a sizable facility has been missed. No idea about photocopy facilities. The two plus points are adequate parking and plenty of food and drink outlets, plus a Rimping.

It looks like they're moving the so-called "One-Stop" services out to Promenada, i.e. the services they can approve immediately upon application like extensions of stay for reasons of retirement, tourist or medical need. Other extensions, like marriage and business aren't approved immediately and require higher level of sign-off and more scrutiny of the application. Those services appear to be remaining at the old location, implying the higher level bosses are remaining there.

Would be great if the online queue system accounted for 95% of slots. No need for crowds hanging around all day thumbsup.gif

What a great idea -- to expand the on-line queue system, with one for the Prom and one for the Airport and no need for crowds waiting around.

I was in the Immigration office on the 29th of June for my 'marriage' extension. I had queue # 407 and waited about 2 hours - the 400 queue were skipping around because there are 2 desks or counters - 3 & 4. Many higher #'s went before 407. When we finally got our application interview, the officer was quick and efficient and it lasted 15 to 20 minutes. The office was questioned closely by my wife about the 'big move' to Promanada and the officer was very much of the opinion that they would move but when is anyone's guess. From this year's experience, my own opinion is, the queue system is the great roadblock. The interview has always been pretty quick and this year was the fastest yet. Assigning a time to come in for the next year, seems a possible solution to the long wait. I realize some folks may not be able to make the date/time assigned but that would not be the Immigration Service's problem - perhaps a queue to change that date/time coffee1.gif For me, trying to get a slot 100 days before my renewal...at midnight, is silly - because computers have large storage capacity and huge memory chips. Seems a simple task to assign the computer to calculate how many are renewing on any given date and have enough officers to handle the flow. I don't mind waiting but the ordeal is an art form here. I do get the opportunity to talk to other expats and another positive is officers assigning #'s outside the building did NOT allow line jumping!

I last went to see what the new offices would look like about a month ago. It seems to me that there are 3 adjoining units. The largest is probably the waiting area, which is about the size of the current waiting area, or slightly smaller. The middle unit is probably for the immigration officers, and the third unit may be for a photocopying room. Unless the services provided are split between the existing office and the new one, I can't see that the waiting area at the new location will be big enough, however that is only my opinion, we have to be be patient and see what transpires on the 20th.

Please all you arm chair critics of my post and just general SB throwers read the following from one of the above posts. Its time to pull your head out of your well you know gently put its your backside and repeat after me " I done seen the light I admit I was wrong" Of course all you die harders could say the guy that made the following statement has a big imagination but your only extending your silly reason during this silly season. Boy I sure would like to know what some of you guys are smoking. Well get your fingers back on the keys and have at it as your obviously in denial. Welcome to the real world.

I've been there, talked to the guys doing the fitting out. It's a tiny area, a lot smaller than the current premises. After the officers' desks are brought in, IMO, there will be enough room for about 10 of us. Totally inadequate. I am really disappointed that the opportunity to construct a sizable facility has been missed. No idea about photocopy facilities. The two plus points are adequate parking and plenty of food and drink outlets, plus a Rimping.

I'd like to thank immigration for opening this new location and providing TV users more opportunities to complain about potential disasters, mistakes and poor planning that may one day, possibly, in some way happen in the future.

I'm not a pessimist, but a realist. Most of us who "complain about potential disasters, mistakes and poor planning that may one day, possibly, in some way happen in the future" have more than likely experienced such on multiple occasions here in the Land of Smiles.

But, if you missed my above post, if I'm wrong, I'll admit it. So to repeat:

If the new immigration has plenty of seating for all it's customers, a modern and efficient queuing system, and plenty of room to complete paperwork, and receives a majority of kudos and accolades from Chiang Mai resident expats and travelers regarding how wonderful the new immigration service is, well, next 4th of July I'll put on a grass skirt and dance the hulu in front of their office at noon.

July 4th 2016 is a Monday, so that should provide some levity and entertainment should I somehow be wrong in my assessments.

The new office is near the Promenade but not within it if I understand correctly so check Google maps before you get out there. It is actually south and west of the Promeande.

That office has been there for some time to handle residency certificates and Burmese visas... The airport immigration office is moving into the ground floor of the Promenada Mall...

The new office is near the Promenade but not within it if I understand correctly so check Google maps before you get out there. It is actually south and west of the Promeande.

I don't think that's true....it is going to be actually in the mall itself. There's been plenty of discussion on here in the past few weeks about it, including photos, and mall diagrams.

Reports are that it is directly below Tom n Tom's coffee.

Wrong. This has been discussed many times already. It is IN PROMENADA.

I'd like to thank immigration for opening this new location and providing TV users more opportunities to complain about potential disasters, mistakes and poor planning that may one day, possibly, in some way happen in the future.

I'm not a pessimist, but a realist. Most of us who "complain about potential disasters, mistakes and poor planning that may one day, possibly, in some way happen in the future" have more than likely experienced such on multiple occasions here in the Land of Smiles.

If the new immigration has plenty of seating for all it's customers, a modern and efficient queuing system, and plenty of room to complete paperwork, and receives a majority of kudos and accolades from Chiang Mai resident expats and travelers regarding how wonderful the new immigration service is, well, next 4th of July I'll put on a grass skirt and dance the hulu in front of their office at noon.

July 4th 2016 is a Monday, so that should provide some levity and entertainment should I somehow be wrong in my assessments.

I'm sure there will be problems but I'd rather wait for them to actually develop before I complain about them. And the fact is, if immigration started handing out free bricks of gold to every visitor, people would be complaining that they were too heavy to carry home.

I will begin removing off topic posts without further notice. Some removed just now. We need to keep this topic with useful information so others don't have to wade through unhelpful posts.

Please all you arm chair critics of my post and just general SB throwers read the following from one of the above posts. Its time to pull your head out of your well you know gently put its your backside and repeat after me " I done seen the light I admit I was wrong" Of course all you die harders could say the guy that made the following statement has a big imagination but your only extending your silly reason during this silly season. Boy I sure would like to know what some of you guys are smoking. Well get your fingers back on the keys and have at it as your obviously in denial. Welcome to the real world.

You are of course presuming that all the services will be moving there. As has been pointed out this is not necessarily going to be the case. Also as the 90 day reporting on line becomes more reliable it will also lessen the clients using the facilities.

The one fly in the ointment may be that they are not going to be allowing for a larger ex pat community.

I will begin removing off topic posts without further notice. Some removed just now. We need to keep this topic with useful information so others don't have to wade through unhelpful posts.

Thnx! Wading through that mess for a little real info was like giving birth to a pair of buffalos.

I sincerely hope I get to see that.tongue.png But I know I won't see it. There are to many TV posters who will complain about any thing.sad.png

That office has been there for some time to handle residency certificates and Burmese visas... The airport immigration office is moving into the ground floor of the Promenada Mall...

I was talking with Dave the owner of Dukes.

He tells me it will be on the ground floor in the same building as the Dukes is in.

Well done Chiang Mai immigration, good news indeed.

Good News? What's good about a limited hours (open 11am) Immigration at the Prom? 85% of expats needing services live within 3 km of the Old City,...not the LONG ride to the Promenada. In 2 years I've only been there twice,...transportation there is a headache (and costly) from Nimman neighborhood.

Dumb, dumb. dumb,...accept those getting a bonus for creating this inconvenient hardship.

FYI:

CM IMMI services 3 (three!) provinces. Chiangmai, Lamphun and Lampang.

Do you have a map?

I was not aware of that,...nevertheless,...with the exception of Doi Saket and the area within 3 km of the Old City, is there a sizable population of expats? Been to Lampang a few times,...never saw a single expat,...maybe they only come out at night. Yes,...I have maps,...and from a geographical POV, the Prom is a good location for a Chiangmai, Lamphun and Lampang area.

The older expat population, predominately residing at the numerous condos within 3 km of the Old City, generally don't have cars,...whereas those fewer expats who live outside that area, must have their own vehicles to live so far out of the city.

All in all,...I hold my position,...the Prom is not only a bad idea for the majority,...but a hardship.

..the Prom is not only a bad idea for the majority,...but a hardship.

One trip a year to the Prom is a hardship for the majority?

Are the CM expats really a bunch of people that weak or is it just mental weakness? I do not get into town much so perhaps I have missed something here.

Or perhaps the poster is misinformed as suggested by his view that Doi Saket and within 3 km of the moat are the expat centers. Good morning Mae Joe, Sankampang, Hang Dong, Mae Rim, San Sai other ........

I can't wait to see who wins the Promenada Stakes with the first report back of their experience at that location. It will probably be Thai Visa's best read report for the year. Does anyone appointment or need to be there on that historic day?

We are counting the days with baited breath.

You can walk to Promenada. Take the underpass under Superhighway, Or cross at the lights near Makro thumbsup.gif

Ha, ha - that's awesome. So to get there by 04:30 a.m. to wait in line you'd have to start walking at 03:30 a.m. Might as well just do last call at Spicy and start from there, lol.

I have a new policy regarding extensions, If I can't get an online appointment, I will arrive during regular business hours with all documents and expect service, if they cannot accomidate me that day ,they will need to tell me what time to arrive the next day during business hours, I will flat out refuse to arrive and Que at 4:30 am... if their system is broken, and it is, they need to fix it.

All in all,...I hold my position,...the Prom is not only a bad idea for the majority,...but a hardship.

Do you realise it's only a 10 minute drive from central airport to promenada?

With the way some people are going on you'd thing they were moving to bloody Lumphon.

Look at Bangkok and how far away immigration is from "the majority"

There is a shuttle service from town to Promenada.

You can hire a bicycle for 50B a day.

Big C Don Chan has songtaews waiting and is the same distance from Promenada as Airport Plaza is from immigration.

The Burmese have been getting to across the road from Promenada for years on their 4 figure salary.

If a retired guy can't afford a 150B tuk tuk once every 3 months I pity him.

This has to be the most miserable bunch of posters on all of ThaiVisa.

Feeling lonely without any complaints of future problems so I finally came up with one. Underground Parking at the Promenada is very limited . This is going to require people to park in the sun.

I'm outraged!

Archived