New Immigration Office

Tywais

You can walk to Promenada. Take the underpass under Superhighway, Or cross at the lights near Makro thumbsup.gif

attachicon.gifwalk to prom.jpg

I am 77 years old living close to KSK central. All I have to say to this idiotic suggestion is "Take a Hike" The only sensible talk transportation wise is a shuttle service. Is there any TV members in complete control of their faculties that can flesh this idea out. The yellow truck idea seems a stretch as they will not pull out till they are full and my g/f states you could wait for hours. I watch the Uber taxi service story and have always felt they are putting hard working taxi drivers out of business but in our case is there any Uber or similar style service here in Chiang Mai.? I will gladly use it. When I went to Phitsanulok now there was a transportation system. Get off of the highway bus and walk a few feet and catch an intercity bus. The reasonable rates were posted on a large board. I am not against a red truck driver making an honest living but I am tired of flagging down endless vehicles to find a driver who will quote a reasonable rate. This only happens when he has a fare in back going in the general direction of the airport. I refuse to crawl into the back of a tuk tuk on my hands and knees and pay double the ST rate. When going to the airport immigration the fare should be 50 to 60 bahts but I am constantly quoted 150 to 120 bahts and its only getting worse. One poster here states pay 150 well guess what from KSW to Promenada will be at least 300 bahts. I am trying to be fair. I know of people that just get in the Songtaew for the same trip and at immigration (airport) give the driver 40 bahts (2 people) and walk away no discussion no argument. Have at it I will sort through the cheap shots and try to gleam nuggets (albeit small) of information.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can walk to Promenada. Take the underpass under Superhighway, Or cross at the lights near Makro thumbsup.gif

I am 77 years old living close to KSK central. All I have to say to this idiotic suggestion is "Take a Hike" The only sensible talk transportation wise is a shuttle service. Is there any TV members in complete control of their faculties that can flesh this idea out. The yellow truck idea seems a stretch as they will not pull out till they are full and my g/f states you could wait for hours. I watch the Uber taxi service story and have always felt they are putting hard working taxi drivers out of business but in our case is there any Uber or similar style service here in Chiang Mai.? I will gladly use it. When I went to Phitsanulok now there was a transportation system. Get off of the highway bus and walk a few feet and catch an intercity bus. The reasonable rates were posted on a large board. I am not against a red truck driver making an honest living but I am tired of flagging down endless vehicles to find a driver who will quote a reasonable rate. This only happens when he has a fare in back going in the general direction of the airport. I refuse to crawl into the back of a tuk tuk on my hands and knees and pay double the ST rate. When going to the airport immigration the fare should be 50 to 60 bahts but I am constantly quoted 150 to 120 bahts and its only getting worse. One poster here states pay 150 well guess what from KSW to Promenada will be at least 300 bahts. I am trying to be fair. I know of people that just get in the Songtaew for the same trip and at immigration (airport) give the driver 40 bahts (2 people) and walk away no discussion no argument. Have at it I will sort through the cheap shots and try to gleam nuggets (albeit small) of information.

Fortunately there are agents and other options available for those unable to physically visit the Promenada.

I am 77 years old living close to KSK central. All I have to say to this idiotic suggestion is "Take a Hike"

Why take the walking option so personally?

Is this your thread?

Take a taxi...

Would be great if the online queue system accounted for 95% of slots. No need for crowds hanging around all day thumbsup.gif

What a great idea -- to expand the on-line queue system, with one for the Prom and one for the Airport and no need for crowds waiting around.

Quite making sense your giving me a headache. Yes expanding the online system would be the greatest idea since sliced bread but great ideas never seem to come to fruitation here. They could hire a bit more staff and when there is no business out front they could go out back and open up the mail containing the 90 day extensions or make the online system work(its well a disaster) and process online reports. Learning how to shuffle your staff to multi task is not a new concept. If they set the process up properly they could operate out of a phone booth well almost. Immigration seems to proud to consult with the foreign community and ask for suggestions that could improve their service. This again would be great public relations. Well must put on my hard hat and safety glasses and await the brick bats.

I am 77 years old living close to KSK central. All I have to say to this idiotic suggestion is "Take a Hike"

Is this your thread?

Take a taxi...

Why take the walking option so personally? Well here is your answer. This to me anyways is a serious topic. I am the first to admit that on a lot of topics I to can "horse around make jokes poke fun" but in this topic I am looking for serious answers. I freely admit that I am not as rich as some TV posters (a lot flaunt their wealth here but thats OK to). Just because I am 77 does not make me senile. All I look for is service at a reasonable rate. I now support a Thai g/f (and not here extended family)and supporting the ST drivers and the rest of the economy is out of the question on my limited resources. Being of Mennonite background can make me frugal at times(yeah I know your not frugal your a cheap charlie ha ha ha save your breath) So now I have bared my soul so lets get on with the topic and find some realistic reasonable answers as stated by Mr. T who opened this topic. Kudo's to you and the rest of the mod's and administrators who put up with us aging armchair push the keys athletes who want to appear as if we know all the answers. Ah heck its all good clean fun. Carry on verbally jousting.

Here's the free shuttle service schedule. So as long as you can get to a pick up location for cheaper than it costs to get to airport immigration this move will actually save you money. (Just don't take the mrs cause she will go shopping and there go all your savings)

Looks like you would have to use the online booking system, since the first shuttle doesn't arrive at Promenada until after 11.30am.

post-148705-0-34006300-1436163997_thumb.

post-148705-0-76384600-1436164000_thumb.

Fortunately there are agents and other options available for those unable to physically visit the Promenada.

To be honest I don't see where the problem is. The transportation is all over the place.

If people don't like it that is not every one else's problem just theirs. It might cost a bit

but it is only a once a year thing not a regular thing. Mail in your 90 days Not sure how

the online is doing but the mail in is still working for the 90 day. I mean lets get real here

if it is a retirement that means that you have 65,000 baht a month minimum.

Once a year. Is not going to break you and you might enjoy the new surroundings.

I'll believe it's a good thing when we get to see the size and physical accommodation at the new facility.

Will it be a spacious area with enough chairs for all individuals waiting for service, have places to fill out forms, and a modern common-sense queuing system -- or will it be a shoe-box sized store front where everyone will need to stand outside in the mall, queues are handed out to a frenzied group of customers once a day in a "he who is the most aggressive gets a ticket" manner, and you can fill out your forms using the floor as a table and a place to sit.

And, where is the Promanade Resort. Is it a mall or a real resort? I have no idea where this place is. And Floor G? That's 7 stories. Do they have an elevator for disabled / handicapped foreigners?

One plus, maybe it will actually have A/C.

I love Promenada. It is a modern AC mall with loads of restaurants and shopping opportunities. Be a chance to combine shopping at Rimping and a movie with 90 day report. Of course lots of nice toilets unlike the disgusting toilet at CM immigration.

7 stories LOL ( Thais number floors ). there are only 2 floors and a basement.

Judging from the photo on a different thread the office is small and there won't be room to sit inside. No idea if they are going to have seats outside, but I'll be taking a folding chair just in case.

For location- just google.

Do you think it will be cheaper than the taxi fare to use an agent? I realise you mean people unable to go there, but that doesn't apply to the OP.

Is this your thread?

Take a taxi...

Why take the walking option so personally? Well here is your answer. This to me anyways is a serious topic. I am the first to admit that on a lot of topics I to can "horse around make jokes poke fun" but in this topic I am looking for serious answers. I freely admit that I am not as rich as some TV posters (a lot flaunt their wealth here but thats OK to). Just because I am 77 does not make me senile. All I look for is service at a reasonable rate. I now support a Thai g/f (and not here extended family)and supporting the ST drivers and the rest of the economy is out of the question on my limited resources. Being of Mennonite background can make me frugal at times(yeah I know your not frugal your a cheap charlie ha ha ha save your breath) So now I have bared my soul so lets get on with the topic and find some realistic reasonable answers as stated by Mr. T who opened this topic. Kudo's to you and the rest of the mod's and administrators who put up with us aging armchair push the keys athletes who want to appear as if we know all the answers. Ah heck its all good clean fun. Carry on verbally jousting.

You don't say from where you have to go to get to Promenada- it makes a difference.

Does your GF not have a m'bike, or are you not able to sit on it?

If the latter applies, I'm afraid you have a problem that I can't see a solution to.

Beats the hell out of getting in a taxi in Hollywood to pay a $50 fare to LAX. You gotta put things in perspective. Chiang Mai transportation sucks. Always has. It in my 'negative' column. But, nobody is forcing either you or I to live here. Ya take the good with the bad. If I ever get more 'checkmarks' in the negative column than the positive column in regards to living in Chiang Mai, then I guess it will be time to move. Won't be the first time.

I have a new policy regarding extensions, If I can't get an online appointment, I will arrive during regular business hours with all documents and expect service, if they cannot accommodate me that day ,they will need to tell me what time to arrive the next day during business hours, I will flat out refuse to arrive and Que at 4:30 am... if their system is broken, and it is, they need to fix it.

Well said Daoyai

How stupid it is to go to immigration at 4.30 in the morning to get a visa extension (retirement visa) ? There is something wrong with the system.This is supposed to be a modern country and it fails so much with the way it treats expats.Most of us have been living here for some years and call this our home .Immigration is using an antiquated system and it is time it grew up and joined the 21st century .

If we are unable to get an appointment online then we are expected to be there at 4.30 in the morning?

I wish more people would adopt Khun Daoyai's attitude and do the same.

Wake up immigration and grow up immigration and join the 21st century

I remind all of the free bus transportation from various hotels round the city to the Prom Mall. The best for me is the Amore Hotel near Tha Pae Gate. True, not many times per day but no cost either. If said bus could be made to run hourly starting at 6 am, but would be gud.

I have a new policy regarding extensions, If I can't get an online appointment, I will arrive during regular business hours with all documents and expect service, if they cannot accomidate me that day ,they will need to tell me what time to arrive the next day during business hours, I will flat out refuse to arrive and Que at 4:30 am... if their system is broken, and it is, they need to fix it.

Please let me know when you do this. It will be worth the trip to see it. I seriously doubt they will give you a time and if they do don't hold your breath.

The system is not that bad it is the same system they have had for quite a while with a few changes.

The real problem is it is understaffed. Hopefully that will be corrected when they move some of the services to the Promenada. Should give them more room. As it is now if they hired any more staff they would have to put their desk in the parking lot.

Lets just let it happen and judge after it has been there long enough to settle in. We could be just tilting at windmills.

No disrespect but the "Thai System" makes up it's own rules and plays them as it sees fit.

We Frangs have to try to learn their rules and play accordingly.

If we fail I don't think they care or mind.

Our Problem.

john

My goodness, talk about over reaction. Immigration Dept. simply opened a new office in a shopping mall, it's not as if the Thai government has just imposed a whole new set of rules and requirements on long term visa holders, nor are they making us jump through hoops, we just have a new nicer location to go to for our visa's, that's all!

My goodness, talk about over reaction. Immigration Dept. simply opened a new office in a shopping mall, it's not as if the Thai government has just imposed a whole new set of rules and requirements on long term visa holders, nor are they making us jump through hoops, we just have a new nicer location to go to for our visa's, that's all!

Nicer location, but way harder to get to/ from. Would have been better in Central Airport, but I guess they got a sweet deal at Promenada.

Nicer location, but way harder to get to/ from. Would have been better in Central Airport, but I guess they got a sweet deal at Promenada.

Just as easy to get to as the present location. Stand by the side of the road and when you see a tuck tuck or songthaew stick your hand out. Tell them where you are going. They will probably give you a price take it or try to bargain it down if you think it is high. Happens all the time.

I wouldn't worry about people getting 30 day extensions. I am sure they will look it up on the web site to see where it is. Already and it is still almost two weeks away most people know. I agree there will be a few who don't check and find out the hard way but it will only take them one lesson and they will have it down pat.

You want to make an omelet you have to break some eggs. Let us just hope they put in enough staff to make it faster.

I wouldn't worry about people getting 30 day extensions. I am sure they will look it up on the web site to see where it is.

Not unless CM Immigration puts some information about this on their site, which is where most will go to find immigration's location. They still have nothing at all regarding the move on their site, they only just today put a news blurb, in Thai, about online 90 day report. Last news update was Oct 2014.

I am not against a red truck driver making an honest living but I am tired of flagging down endless vehicles to find a driver who will quote a reasonable rate. This only happens when he has a fare in back going in the general direction of the airport. I refuse to crawl into the back of a tuk tuk on my hands and knees and pay double the ST rate. When going to the airport immigration the fare should be 50 to 60 bahts but I am constantly quoted 150 to 120 bahts and its only getting worse. One poster here states pay 150 well guess what from KSW to Promenada will be at least 300 bahts. I am trying to be fair. I know of people that just get in the Songtaew for the same trip and at immigration (airport) give the driver 40 bahts (2 people) and walk away no discussion no argument. Have at it I will sort through the cheap shots and try to gleam nuggets (albeit small) of information.

Not specifically about Promenada, but red songtaews in general.

Don't ask for a rate, if money isn't mentioned it's 20 baht. If my trip crosses the river, I pay 30, which I think is fair. My husband doesn't use songtaews often and won't believe me or is scared of arriving somewhere and being forced to pay a large amount, so he asks. Sometimes they say 20 baht, sometimes more, and quite often he's quoted silly prices. They're assuming he's a tourist and treating him as such - not that this is justified of course.

I tell people to never approach a stationery songtaew or tuktuk, always flag down a moving one and have a 20 baht note in your hand; if the driver didn't see it as he pulled in, when you lean into the window to tell him where you're going he's definitely not going to miss it. If he wants more he'll say so, but with the 20 in hand he'll assume you know the price. I've gone from Warrarot market to Airport Plaza dozens of times in red songtaews - if the driver nods, I don't give them an opportunity to quote a price, I just get in (sometimes in the front but usually the back) and I've never paid more than 20 baht. Return is different, I get them to bring me over the bridge and pay 30 baht; I always check by saying 30 baht (saying, not asking) and only a couple of times I've had the driver try to ask for more. A 'really?' smile has gotten me the trip for 30 baht every time, only once has the driver refused to take me and I flagged down another. I won't stand and argue or haggle, there are plenty of them around during the day and I rarely venture out at night.

The standard fare around town (and I include Airport and Central Festival Plaza in around town) is 20 baht. Be confident, don't mention money unless they do and there isn't a problem as the driver will know that you know what the price should be. For the airport itself, we pay 100 baht from Rimping Condo but I don't know about getting to Promenada.

It really does work, I just wish I could convince Mr K it does. Please try it, it has to be worth giving it a chance. thumbsup.gif

I have 1 quote to day a yellow cab from KSK to Promenada 200 bahts. I took his card. It seems a fair price as I will be going only once a year to do my annual. The rest is by mail or online if it ever works. I would encourage readers to keep us all posted on any shuttle services or private means to get there. If you use any reliable reasonable Songtaews post their phone number here keep us in the loop. Also post any mailing addresses for the new location so we can mail in our 90 days. Have a good day pray for more rain.

It all seems quite straight forward so far, we will all need to wait for some answers from CMImmigration in a timely fashion. For me, there are 2 vague areas:

- what (if any ) is the new address for mail-in 90 day reports;

- what will be the status of the online queue system. Presently, it gives appointments for both retirement and marriage extensions, which means that some appointments will randomly be for Promenada and others for the old Airport location. This seems rather chaotic ! ...or will all appointments be at one location ? Of course, they could view the problem as unsolvable, and simply cancel the online queue system. Alternately, we could dream that they would have two systems -- one for the old office and one for the new office.

It all seems quite straight forward so far, we will all need to wait for some answers from CMImmigration in a timely fashion. For me, there are 2 vague areas:

- what will be the status of the online queue system. Presently, it gives appointments for both retirement and marriage extensions, which means that some appointments will randomly be for Promenada and others for the old Airport location. This seems rather chaotic ! ...or will all appointments be at one location ? Of course, they could view the problem as unsolvable, and simply cancel the online queue system. Alternately, we could dream that they would have two systems -- one for the old office and one for the new office.

We could dream that with more staff, there will no longer be a need for the online appointment system. Turn up and be done within an hour or so.

We could dream that with more staff, there will no longer be a need for the online appointment system. Turn up and be done within an hour or so.

The key of course will be more staff. As for mail in I see no reason to change the address they are still going to have an office at the old airport. They will now have room for some one there to take care of all the mail in and hopefully get the bugs out of the on line system.

I have a new policy regarding extensions, If I can't get an online appointment, I will arrive during regular business hours with all documents and expect service, if they cannot accommodate me that day ,they will need to tell me what time to arrive the next day during business hours, I will flat out refuse to arrive and Que at 4:30 am... if their system is broken, and it is, they need to fix it.

Well said Daoyai
How stupid it is to go to immigration at 4.30 in the morning to get a visa extension (retirement visa) ? There is something wrong with the system.This is supposed to be a modern country and it fails so much with the way it treats expats.Most of us have been living here for some years and call this our home .Immigration is using an antiquated system and it is time it grew up and joined the 21st century .
If we are unable to get an appointment online then we are expected to be there at 4.30 in the morning?
I wish more people would adopt Khun Daoyai's attitude and do the same.
Wake up immigration and grow up immigration and join the 21st century

Really ? Who told you this about being a modern country ?

Appears they have a new contact page or I've missed it all this time. I submitted the following questions and hope to get a reply.

1. Do mail in of 90 day reports still use the old address (near Airport) or is there a new one for Promenada?
2. Are extensions of stay based on marriage, business/work, academics/teachers still use the old office?
3. Online queue. Will the online queue be used for both offices?

Thanks in advance for your time and assistance in this important issue.

Or - and I know this sound preposterous - they could have one system that integrates appointments at two different locations. You know, kinda how you can log on to hilton.com and make a room reservation at over 4,000 properties in 91 different countries.

Archived