What's the current status of Linux?

torrow

• 1 month later...

With Windows 10 being over the top with privacy issues a lot of people are not wanting to use it. However Microsoft have been very tricky. It has been announced that new PC/Laptops will not be able to use any other version of windows. Yep, that's right. If you buy a new PC/Laptop it will only come with W10 and if you try to install W7 or W8 it will not work. For this reason a lot of people are moving to a Linux based system.

I use Fedora 23 and Ubuntu. Ubuntu is more directed to the "Windows" user, it is very easy to use, it comes with apps already installed and it is just like using an android device when it comes to installing programs. It has the app market so all you need to do is type what you want or the type of app you want and it will list all you need.

Some of the most common apps users really need: (Windows vs linux)

Microsoft office = Libre office

Skype = Skype

Chrome = Chromeium

Firefox = Firefox

Internet explorer = You really need to get out of the cave if you really need it

Photoshop = Krita

I live on Skype as all my customers are overseas they like to call a local number. So from someone that needs Skype to make money let me tell you, there are no issues with Skype on Linux. It works fine on both Fedora and Ubuntu.

With Fedora I use a different desktop environment called Mate, however with Ubuntu I just use the standard desktop environment. For the person that just uses a computer to check email, surf the web, write documents and general stuff like that Linux is a much better system to be running on. Updates are easier, better virus protection and much better interface. Everything is pretty much free unless you want commercial grade products. A lot of developers will make Linux releases however if they don't you have a program called Wine that is basically a windows simulator.

If you are thinking about using a Linux system I would recommend going to the Ubuntu website, downloading it and putting it on a USB stick. When you boot your computer just set your computer to boot by USB. That way you can try Linux on your PC without having to install it. If you don't like it, just remove the USB stick and go back to your normal OS.

Back to MS Office software. Libre office is free and it can read and save as MS office documents. If you are in business you should already have this as some clients will send documents in Libre format. Everything you can do in MS office can be done in Libre office.

One thing that a lot of people don't understand is most linux apps and OS are opensource. This means thousands of people are working on it. Instead of MS Windows where they have set programmers, Linux is built by millions and updated on a regular basis. This is one of the reasons getting a virus or having a system crash is very, very rare. I have found Ubuntu and Fedora to be much more stable than any windows OS I have had and best of all things just work.

For example, whenever you do a fresh windows install, what is the first thing you have to do? Updates and install software and drivers right?

When you install Linux there are no driver installs required. Stuff just works because it is opensource and things you need are already there for you. This OS I am on now is Ubuntu, fresh install and guess what. The internet drivers where already there and working, wireless, bluetooth, sound, everything on this laptop is running.

So if you are thinking about it, go to Ubuntu have a look at the features, download and play. Go to youtube and watch some videos on Ubuntu.

Also, sorry for any typos, I am using a very crappy wireless keyboard so not used to the layout of it.

Hope this post helps.

• 2 months later...

I'm agree with all you said only 3 points:

Laptop: not every Laptop has the hardware to run Linux smoothly.
Wine: Not every MS program is running on Wine

I migrate 2010 to Linux from Wind. XP.

I was just stunned but it cost me much time to go through the topic.

Now I think I will try a Mac as I am pretty p. o..f with Ubuntu as after every upgrade some of my loved features has vanished.

I just do not want to have always my controls changed and it was harder after each upgrade to convert the desktop back to what it was before.

Once I had a complete black screen after a update. The forum helped me as I was not the only one.

My desktop which once runs absolutely stunning is now very slowly.

Linux mint is may be the answer, I will give it a try but I need some body which can service me as I start not to care about the costs.

Back to MS - Never!! But what is the alternative if you do not like to fiddling around with bloody computers.

Anybody has a Idea?

• 2 weeks later...

Now I think I will try a Mac as I am pretty p. o..f with Ubuntu as after every upgrade some of my loved features has vanished.

I just do not want to have always my controls changed and it was harder after each upgrade to convert the desktop back to what it was before.

Once I had a complete black screen after a update. The forum helped me as I was not the only one.

Linux mint is may be the answer, I will give it a try but I need some body which can service me as I start not to care about the costs.

Back to MS - Never!! But what is the alternative if you do not like to fiddling around with bloody computers.

Anybody has a Idea?

If you just want a computer "that just works" buy an Apple. The system is tightly integrated. The apps must pass Apple's stringent rules (any Tom Dick or Harry can write crap software for windows). There is very little added cost on Apple OS X as nothing else is needed. You won't spend endless hours fixing things.

P.S... I don't use Apple. Too expensive for me. I use Linux. I think Apple needs to lower its prices a lot!

Anybody has a Idea?

I can and do help a few people out, from time to time. I am a linux person from way back in the nineties. I live in Lamphun and anyone wanting help with Debian based distros I am occasionally available. Not right now as I am in OZ - not usually available in CM any year (at this time), until the rains clear the atmosphere.

I set up linux MY WAY to do what YOU want. Sounds arrogant I know, but with linux it is the only way I have been able to run my computer shop, for the last 20 yrs or so. Too many come in and say "a friend said" or my mate in "Timbuktu" said the only way.... My answer is, "best you get your friend to do it" OR I cannot work your friends "way", better you find someone that can.

I prefer to stick with .deb based distros, because I believe most "distro hoppers" are less than competent in any/ether of the dominant styles of linux.

I also set up the ability for an individual to allow me to log in to his/her computer from my home. I can instruct, fix so many issues that way. I have a history of fixing almost any issue with "desktop" linux.

It is my life passion - I no longer charge for my services. I "usually" do not bother with windows- any flavour.

PM me if you live close by, I work on desktops & Laptops and anything with a qwerty keyboard. I can advise on security, plus a whole range of other issues. BTW I do not do out calls - you come to me.

Not sure when we will return to Thailand - could be quite a while :-)

last time i used windows was waiting for my overdue laundryshop which was also an internet cafe. was about 5 months ago in a far off country. before that probably between hotel kickout time and waiting for the train in internet cafe about 5 years ago.

i use my netbook or internet enabled phone virtually everyday.

skype? dont use it, but others report it is enabled on the distros i flit between. forget one OS, use many linuxs distros, do what you want on the distro that best enables it. oh and they are all FRREEEE

Archived