Page Of Remembrance

Gonzo the Face

Something Blinky Bill said triggered a thought in my mind about all the drinking mates that I have known and remember since being in Chiang Mai, specifically those who have passed on

I would like to start a list of those I remember here in Chiang Mai and would like all other local members to chip in and add the names they remember. Just add them onto the list and in this way maybe all of us together or by ourselves can have a drink and say salute, salude, old buddy, I remember and miss you.

Here is the start of the list I would like to remember, add to it if you like and see how many we can remember.

Salute Good Buddies :o

Skipper

Andy the Scot

J. B. Gross

Jeremy

Roger Morton

Allister the Scot

Jack Wall

Rick Cherry [ Dr. Lic ]

Crickett ........ way before her time

add on guys and gals

:D

And there is Rolfe (Flamingo Bar)

And I just learned that Dennis Monkhouse passed away some time back in Australia. Still working, had breakfast and died at his desk. !!

He hadn't visited Chiangmai for a couple of years but was well known to many on the forum, MM & BB being just a couple.

I just hope that I am as sharp at 75 as he was at 86.

• 3 weeks later...

Not to wish ill on any soul,and not to add to the page if it is before his time, but someone just told me that The Andy Gill had passed on.....

However you feel/felt about Andy, he is/was a character...

Any one know any thing about this...... last I heard he was living in UK or back in Europe//

gonzo

Not to wish ill on any soul,and not to add to the page if it is before his time, but someone just told me that The Andy Gill had passed on.....

However you feel/felt about Andy, he is/was a character...

Any one know any thing about this...... last I heard he was living in UK or back in Europe//

gonzo

Haven't heard Gonz but I'm sure if that if it is true word will come through soon enough.

Anyone know what happened to the American who ran Oasis bar - now Johns Place/Cozy corner??

Pretty sure that he drank himself to death. :o

Old Stuart/Stewart. You got that one right UG, a bottle or 2 of the heavy stuff a day will do it. And his missus was just waiting for him to die. She wasn't a very nice lady.

If I remember correctly, he locked himself in a room above the bar and people used to send up supplies through the window in a metal bucket with a rope and pulley system for quite a length of time. :D

Chiang Mai was WILD before all the yuppies moved in. :o

Edited by Ulysses G.

Anyone know what happened to the American who ran Oasis bar - now Johns Place/Cozy corner??

Old Stuart/Stewart. You got that one right UG, a bottle or 2 of the heavy stuff a day will do it. And his missus was just waiting for him to die. She wasn't a very nice lady.

She was in all likelihood the reason that he was drinking.

She was in all likelihood the reason that he was drinking.

Yes, Stuart died from alchoholism. For some reason I can't even remember the name of his wife, but her common nickname was simply "the dragon lady".

Thanks. Interesting.

Any other stories about regulars at Oasis?

In the early 1980s I met 3 Aussies who were regulars, I mean drinking at the Oasis just about every night, who had robbed a bank down under and were living a fun life on the lam in Chiang Mai town.

Thanks. Interesting.

In the early 1980s I met 3 Aussies who were regulars, I mean drinking at the Oasis just about every night, who had robbed a bank down under and were living a fun life on the lam in Chiang Mai town.

Ahh... those were the days! :o

Thanks. Interesting.

Typical story from some Aussies here to have a good time, no matter the story :o

Thanks. Interesting.

Typical story from some Aussies here to have a good time, no matter the story :o

Good point as I have never met an Aussie in the bars of Chiang Mai not having a good time. Then there was at least one Aussie, working in Chiang Mai at about the same time who went back to Australia where they did not appreciate his living in the fast lane and he ended up becoming a guest of the Australian government under rather confining conditions.

• 3 months later...
Snowflake.

Wally Buddy.

I see only 2 ladies, Cricket and Snowflake mentioned.

These 2 Thai ladies were both real characters married to expats.

Surely there have been some western women pass away here over the years.

Shame on Blinky Bill forgetting Max Brown

From someone who doesn't drink alcohol or hang out in the nitelife here, It's not surprising when I say that in my time here, I haven't met any of those mentioned here in my 22 years of living in Chiang Mai... And feeling pretty happy about it.

Edited by Ajarn

I seem to remember a certain gentleman who managed one of Chiang Mai's most notorious nightspots for a while who bore more than a passing resembalance to yourself.

You might be a morally upstanding member of CM's moral minority, but he was a real rascal! :D

Yeah, that was an interesting experience, for sure. A LONG time ago :o

I don't consider myself to be a morally upstanding person...

Just a person :D

I haven't seen any mention of the gentleman who owned the Coq D'Or..? I never met him, but it seems he was quite a character. He left some of his books to Premcenter School library.

I think his surname was Telfer - can't remember his first name.

What about Adrian Gundelach - one of the founders of the Cricket Sixes

Adrian was Bangkok based.

Wasn't Max mentioned earlier? If not, my apologies.

Blinkster, you are quite right about Adrian Gundelach being based in Bangkok. Thought I would mention him as his son, Mark, lived in Chiang Mai for a while before going down the Tobacco Road (to Malawi, I think).

There was Scotsman, Terry McKinney, who lived in Chiangmai until Max Brown hired him. He topped himself in Lampang last year.

• 4 weeks later...

.... and now one of the saddest to mention.......

..... had become very close to me......

...... almost like a member of the family, who I grew to know would always be there when needed...

..... died not a natural death but more premeditated....

..... one all on this forum knew.......

...... I speak of course of the most recent killing of ........

....... The Red Lion / O'Mally Thread...... may it not rest in peace until the killer is found and fermented in tomato paste....

:o:D:D

....... The Red Lion / O'Mally [sic] Thread......

:o:D :D

My crocodile tears, too, are flowing copiously down my cheeks.

..... had become very close to me......

...... almost like a member of the family, who I grew to know would always be there when needed...

..... died not a natural death but more premeditated....

..... one all on this forum knew.......

....... The Red Lion / O'Mally Thread...... may it not rest in peace until the killer is found and fermented in tomato paste....

:o:D:D

First up to ensure I am on topic:

two guys you most probably don't know but good mates of mine

Pommy Paul - played sax with me and was killed on his motorbike heading up to Mae Sai doing an early morning visa run. He was clipped by a car or truck and left on the side of the road. As far as I know no one has ever been charged or identified as the person responsible.

Ben - don't know his surname - used to drink with me at the #1 - went back to Oz feeling ill and the doctors here couldn't find anything wrong with him. Died in hospital a couple of days from getting back to Brisbane.

Now the Red Lion/O'Mally Thread

I used to read that regularly and sorely miss it. I think it went beyond the initial thread which was a toussle between the two pubs and why one was better than the other. It developed into a "CM drinking hole forum" which IMHO is a needed area of discussion.

With this in mind I have started up the "good places to drink in Chiang Mai" forum http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=112385

I would be very happy to see you good gentlemen continue the Red Lion/O'Malley's postings at this forum

regards

Crow Boy