Page Of Remembrance

Gonzo the Face

O NO! Are you sure about Oliver? O no, what horrid horrid shame. I thought Horst was lovely, grumy and scrowly, but such a kind big bear, and now Oliver. So sad.

Ceremonies are at Wat Phra Singh. Prayers started at 7pm last night so will probably be the same for the next few days.

• 5 weeks later...

Bummer. I just found out about a young musician friend of mine passing away about 4 days ago. His name was Rick, and he came from the very exotic Faroe Islands - a tiny little place that's out in the middle of nowhere between Iceland, Scotland, and Norway. We had had many chats about his unique language and the history of where he came from. He was only 30 years old,... and it seems a medical condition was what got him. He was cool bass player too, and had a business and tgf here in CM.... A shame. I just got word of a memorial for him, but rather than post it here, I'd ask that anybody that knew him and is interested in coming just send me a PM. The memorial will be this Thurs night, the 24th.

Bummer. I just found out about a young musician friend of mine passing away about 4 days ago. His name was Rick, and he came from the very exotic Faroe Islands - a tiny little place that's out in the middle of nowhere between Iceland, Scotland, and Norway. We had had many chats about his unique language and the history of where he came from. He was only 30 years old,... and it seems a medical condition was what got him. He was cool bass player too, and had a business and tgf here in CM.... A shame. I just got word of a memorial for him, but rather than post it here, I'd ask that anybody that knew him and is interested in coming just send me a PM. The memorial will be this Thurs night, the 24th.

I'm sorry to hear that, RTD.

May he rest in peace.

McG

Anyone have any information on the passing of Derek from UK, former denizon of True Blue and Mad Dog ?

Heard a rumor today.

Sorry, can't help re Derek. Any more clues?

However, I feel it a duty to report the sad demise a few days ago of another Domino/True Blue regular.

His calling card was headed with his self-chosen nickname 'Gador', as in 'alligador' and was surmounted by the Stars & Stripes and the logo of the VFW of which he was a justifiably proud member.

His 'real' name was William Arnold Jnr and, with his Thai wife Suree, he enjoyed a happy retirement in Sanpatong and later Hang Dong, surrounded by many friends of many nations.

Gador succumbed at McCormick Hospital, aged 65, after several weeks excellent care following a stroke. The funeral was held at the central Hang Dong temple on October 23rd. The American flag, brought specially from the US Embassy Bangkok, draped the coffin prior to cremation nearby, and in addition to a farewell salute by fellow VFW members, 'Taps' sounded out followed by some of Gador's favourite country & western songs.

By request, Gador's ashes will be scattered in the Mekong River at Nong Khai, the home town of his beloved Suree.

This was a REAL member of Special Forces, who distinguished himself in peace by NOT speaking of his previous exploits. An extremely friendly, open handed man, Gador left us only days before the announcement of the successful formalisation of a Chiang Mai post of the VFW.

It is fitting that, very soon, on November 11th, after the traditional 10.45am Remembrance Day gathering at the Foreign Cemetery, Chiang Mai, and respects paid by Seri ('Free') Thai, the US Veterans' Day gathering will be held and many thoughts will be with him.

Afterwards, 'more than a few' of your favourite margaritas will be consumed at Gymkhana Club, my friend.

Rick (or Rogvi) was a good chap. I worked with him at Citylife when he first came over to Thailand about 3 or 4 years ago. One year we went down to Hua Hin to play in the elephant polo shindig and I don't think I've ever seen a guy enjoy himself more. Infectious enthusiasm. RIP.

• 4 months later...

Sorry, but I couldn't locate the deaths in Chiang Mai thread.

Jon Gluck was around Chiang Mai for about 20 years and we always called him "Jon the Watch Smuggler". He had a wild life as a junky on the streets of New York as a young lad, later he went back to school at a prestigious University and even later he worked on shrimp boats in Alaska and then he came here and sold watches and Buddhas in Thailand.

I remember that he fell in love with his wife straight-away when he first got here and it took him a few years to convince her to trust him, but he finally won her and he was good to her and loved her to the end.

RIP Jon.

By the way, Jon was around 60 years old and he smoked like a chimney!

Edited by Ulysses G.

Jon Gluck was around Chiang Mai for about 20 years and we always called him "Jon the Watch Smuggler". He had a wild life as a junky on the streets of New York as a young lad, later he went back to school at a prestigious University and even later he worked on shrimp boats in Alaska and then he came here and sold watches and Buddhas in Thailand.

I remember that he fell in love with his wife straight-away when he first got here and it took him a few years to convince her to trust him, but he finally won her and he was good to her and loved her to the end.

RIP Jon.

I met Jon a few years ago - a good man. may he rest in peace.

RIP Jon.

Merged with the Page of Remembrance as requested

CB

RIP Jon.

Rest in Peace Jon,

jon's wife told me this sad news this morning, :o

She said he got a son and some relatives in US. but don't know how to contact them

anyone knows how to contact his relatives in the US ?

tommy

Knew John pretty good even not seeing him in the past couple years. Really sorry to hear of his passing. Seems like the older we get the more friends we loose, until our number is called.

I do remember that he was quite a good friend of Leung Guy, [Guy Blakely] who used to own the old Flamingo years back. I used to see him quite regularily even after he moved somewhere in Issan to eat his bugs and guts as he used to say. If someone knew how to track down Guy, he may know how and where to contact Johns family. If not maybe the American Consulate has some means

RIP old friend , and save a seat for me.

Gonzo

(It's hardly the most effective serach function I have used. This may be one reason why people begin new threads on old topics ?? ?

Though I think the main reason is to get up-to-date information.)

Rest in peace, all, known or unknown.

(It's hardly the most effective search function I have used. This may be one reason why people begin new threads on old topics ?? ?

Though I think the main reason is to get up-to-date information.)

Rest in peace, all, known or unknown.

Both are valid reasons to start a new topic WaiWai. :D

RIP John.

Deepest sympathies to all concerned. :o

When I saw the title, I assumed it would be this kind of thread.

I am more than a little touched by the depth and sensitivity shown here.

Of course, I haven't known or heard of any of the people here, but after reading the entire thread, I feel much closer to the community that is (was) Chiang Mai expat. In a way, I feel I have learned as much about CM from this thread than from all the others on TV combined

A very interesting sense of history comes through, and a lot of joy too.

There is something very special here - I suggest this thread be pinned.

Sincerely, Mark

Edited by wjmark
  • Like 2

When I saw the title, I assumed it would be this kind of thread.

I am more than a little touched by the depth and sensitivity shown here.

Of course, I haven't known or heard of any of the people here, but after reading the entire thread, I feel much closer to the community that is (was) Chiang Mai expat. In a way, I feel I have learned as much about CM from this thread than from all the others on TV combined

A very interesting sense of history comes through, and a lot of joy too.

There is something very special here - I suggest this thread be pinned.

Sincerely, Mark

Wise remarks, all!

This expat community has always shown respect for 'lost' members, in all but the very few cases of those who were a complete waste of space.

May I commend you to a pleasant (even amusing) little book named 'De Mortius' ("of death") which is produced by the committee of the Foreign Cemetry?

From whole chapters on some occupants of plots, down to brief paragraphs for others, it gives a respectful and insightful view of former residents - and so colours in many fascinating human aspects of modern history here.

It is available at low cost from Chiengmai Gymkhana Club (next to the cemetry) and a few other tasteful outlets. But if you can wait for the latest edition incorporating those who have passed away in the past 5 or 6 years, you may find that even more interesting.

All in favour of this being Pinned, mods........!

I have known Jon Gluck for more years than I care to count, and it was with great sadness that I received a tearful call from his wife last week to tell me that Jon had passed away the day before.

She had the unenviable task of going through his list of friends on his telephone to inform them, and having had to do a similar thing myself some years ago, I know how soul destroying it can be.

A sad loss to Chiangmai. RIP Jon

• 3 months later...
Any of you familiar with Alex Nidorf? Goodlooking intelligent American, 30 yrs. old. He died in his sleep a few ys. ago in Chiangmai. Cause of death never determined. Apparently he was parlty responsible for reducing the opium supply via educating the growers. Alex was destined for great things. A sad waste of life!!

I grew up with him in San Diego, we were best friends for awhile. The world seems emptier without him.

His mother told me that it was thought to be some form of Hantavirus that was responsible for his death.

Something Blinky Bill said triggered a thought in my mind about all the drinking mates that I have known and remember since being in Chiang Mai, specifically those who have passed on

I would like to start a list of those I remember here in Chiang Mai and would like all other local members to chip in and add the names they remember. Just add them onto the list and in this way maybe all of us together or by ourselves can have a drink and say salute, salude, old buddy, I remember and miss you.

Here is the start of the list I would like to remember, add to it if you like and see how many we can remember.

Salute Good Buddies :o

Skipper

Andy the Scot

J. B. Gross

Jeremy

Roger Morton

Allister the Scot

Jack Wall

Rick Cherry [ Dr. Lic ]

Crickett ........ way before her time

add on guys and gals

:D

Some years ago I used to be a regular visitor at Housewives, a daytime lady bar establishment.

There was me, American Tom with the red hair, Alistair the Scot and Mike Cook. Poor Alistair was discovered dead in his apartment about 5 years ago. He had been in there for quite a while and the body was in a bad state when they found him.

Mike Cook is now 81 and completely house bound. See photo below.

If any of the old gang see this, please pm me, love to hear from you.

post-40525-1214325704_thumb.jpg

Edited by distortedlink

One night when Alistair first came to Chiang Mai to live, he went into Spotlight and just walked around grabbing any woman's boobs that happened to be in front of him. The tough old Mamasan that now works at Foxy Lady threw heavy glass ashtrays at his head and threw him out of Spotlight forever! :o

Edited by Ulysses G.

One night when Alistair first came to Chiang Mai to live, he went into Spotlight and just walked around grabbing any woman's boobs that happened to be in front of him. The tough old Mamasan that now works at Foxy Lady threw heavy glass ashtrays at his head and threw him out of Spotlight forever! :o

Yes, that was Alistair. He was banned from lots of places, but actually he was quite harmless.

Alistair died alone in his apartment from a burst appendix.

Edited by distortedlink

• 4 months later...
Something Blinky Bill said triggered a thought in my mind about all the drinking mates that I have known and remember since being in Chiang Mai, specifically those who have passed on

I would like to start a list of those I remember here in Chiang Mai and would like all other local members to chip in and add the names they remember. Just add them onto the list and in this way maybe all of us together or by ourselves can have a drink and say salute, salude, old buddy, I remember and miss you.

Here is the start of the list I would like to remember, add to it if you like and see how many we can remember.

Salute Good Buddies :o

Skipper

Andy the Scot

J. B. Gross

Jeremy

Roger Morton

Allister the Scot

Jack Wall

Rick Cherry [ Dr. Lic ]

Crickett ........ way before her time

Andy "Mao's" drinking buddie Ronnie from England

Martin West

and what of "Abe" last I heard old Bill(known long ago as Avocado Bill ")and others were looking after him.

Rudi

I went to CM first in 92,ended up living there for a few years .It was interesting times and I learned a lot about life there(often the hard way).I remember Skipper very well.... I liked him.

And what has become of Max(Moon Garden Max a long time ago)?

There were so many colourful charachters around then.

Thanks for this thread ..it was a great memory jolt.

I'm still kind of connected to the place as my wife is from Mae Rim,living in Canada now over 6 years...time flies.

Hope to visit early next year

Cheers

add on guys and gals

:D

I have now read through the complete Page of Rememberance .

Many names I am aquainted with, some better than others.The fond kind way that many of these people are remembered is very touching.

As mentioned ,I first arrived early 92,and started increasing my time there each year.

Eventually I ended up living there for 5 years returning to Canada late 2001.

Events and circumstances left me(I left myself?) in a most precarious situation,culminating with a business partner(Steve Shaia was his name) leaving me high and dry in C.M monies owed not forthcoming.

It was an exhilarating,dangerous,precarious situation which I ultimately survived...an amazing learning experience.

I was not really part of the established Falang ex pat community ..but many were in need of a particular plant,a business I eventually was obliged to undertake ,that of marketing special herb which I used to go get myself up in the Mts on my trusty Honda Dream.

In this way I got to know many people.Wonder if anyone still remembers me.?

I have now read through the complete Page of Rememberance .

Many names I am aquainted with, some better than others.The fond kind way that many of these people are remembered is very touching.

As mentioned ,I first arrived early 92,and started increasing my time there each year.

Eventually I ended up living there for 5 years returning to Canada late 2001.

Events and circumstances left me(I left myself?) in a most precarious situation,culminating with a business partner(Steve Shaia was his name) leaving me high and dry in C.M monies owed not forthcoming.

It was an exhilarating,dangerous,precarious situation which I ultimately survived...an amazing learning experience.

I was not really part of the established Falang ex pat community ..but many were in need of a particular plant,a business I eventually was obliged to undertake ,that of marketing special herb which I used to go get myself up in the Mts on my trusty Honda Dream.

In this way I got to know many people.Wonder if anyone still remembers me.?

Friend , who ever you may be...

The intent of this thread was to remember and show respect for our friends that have passed away.

Not for those who wish they were, or maybe, should be dead. There are other ways to find out if you are still on anyones mind.

I respectfully sugest that if you wish to find out if any one remembers you, you look around your old haunts, or start a new thread. Let us have this one thread so we can and are able to remember and show the respect for those mentioned , who have passed on.

Thanks for your understanding

Gonzo

• Like 1

• 2 months later...