Page Of Remembrance

Gonzo the Face

Australian Paul (dutchman) who with his wife Nee ran the introduction agency in CM circa 2000-2005 called 'Just Thai Ladies' passed away earlier this year in Australia, aged 56. He went to bed feeling unwell and never woke up. 

I lived in CM for over 20 years and many close friends I met there have now died. Only found out about my good mate Ian (Blinky bill) this year, when in CM for dental work. RIP.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/6/2019 at 10:05 AM, Aussiepeter said:

Australian Paul (dutchman) who with his wife Nee ran the introduction agency in CM circa 2000-2005 called 'Just Thai Ladies' passed away earlier this year in Australia, aged 56. He went to bed feeling unwell and never woke up. 

I lived in CM for over 20 years and many close friends I met there have now died. Only found out about my good mate Ian (Blinky bill) this year, when in CM for dental work. RIP.

Ian (BB ) was one of the greatest characters It was ever my pleasure to meet and do battle with on this forum.

Smashing fella and sorely missed

• Like 2

On 7/28/2019 at 5:29 AM, sxgun said:

Hi all,

I heard that Derek Bleakley had passed away.

He used to hang out at the old bell.

Can anyone confirm this sad news?

John

Hi John - is this Derek Bleakley a big guy from Ireland who had lived in Boston for a long time and had a real estate business?

I’d really appreciate an e-mail -

<<<< Email removed, please use PM function to contact >>>>

I hope it’s not one and the same ????????

Best wishes,

Cathryn

Edited by metisdead
18) You will not post phone numbers, email addresses, business names, or web/Facebook/Twitter/Google+ addresses in posts or signatures.

• 1 month later...
On 10/19/2018 at 11:43 AM, richabb1 said:

I read that Graeham Monaghan of cricket sizes fame and other cricket interests in Chiang Mai passed away. A true gentleman and sure to be missed. 

Graeham was a top bloke. The man behind Dennis Lilly and the aluminium bat many years ago.

• Like 2

Lee Arlen Thomas died in September; he was the founder and moderator of the local 'Writers Without Borders' group, which, for more than 10 years, gave writers, and poets, a weekly venue to/read/share their work.

Thanks, Khun Lee !

~o:37;

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 1 month later...

Martin Ballard, a long-time ChiangMai resident, passed away today after a lengthy illness.  He was known for his tireless support of fellow American veterans.  His kind smile and geniune compassion will long be remembered.  His memorial service will take place at McKean this Thursday, Jan 23 at 1:30PM.

• 4 weeks later...

Sadly, after over a week in intensive care here in Chiang Mai, one of the Chiang Mai Photographic Group's regular members, Tim Corp, died on Sunday February 9th of an embolism. He had been struggling with his health for the past few months, but attended our last meeting where he told us he was on the mend so this came as a big shock.

Tim graduated in 1997 with a degree in Photography and Animation from Columbia College of Chicago (CCC). In his varied incarnations as a contemporary artist, he was involved in the creative visuals industry for many years.  An award winning CG Visual Designer, Tim was honoured with an Emmy, dozens of ITVA’S, a couple as Videographer, an Aegis, a Princeton Art and Science award as well a plethora of random print and design credits. In the last few years he took up photography, and featured in two Chiang Mai Photography Group exhibitions as well as a three-month solo gallery showing at SangDee Galleries for his light projection project, ”FullFrontalProjection”.   A selection of Tim's work can be see on his website: here.

Tim's choice of impressive footwear, exciting hairstyles and permanently attached sunglasses ensured he never failed to stand out in a crowd but he will be most remembered by his fellow photographers as a talented artist who brought some exciting and fresh ideas to the CMPG and other creative and arts organisations in the city.  From slide projections on naked models and retro Cosplay movie posters to some amazing light painting collaborations, Tim's work always amazed and amused while his willingness to grab a microphone and speak his mind at our meetings resulted in thoughtful and often entertaining contributions.  He'll be much missed.

Tim's funeral was held yesterday and a Remembrance Gathering/Wake will be held at SangDee Gallery on Tuesday February 18th from 8pm

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This thread has been around for quite a while now, quite a few years actually, and a thought just popped into my mind.  Do any of our members know of anyone who has posted to this thread, kindly paying respects to a lost friend, that now has themselves gone to their final reward.

Interesting to know if they wrote nicely about someone else only to become a future person in the spotlight.

Anybody got any input?

Blinky Bill comes to mind.

Edited by Gonzo the Face
update
  • Like 2

• 4 months later...
On 10/16/2020 at 12:44 PM, richabb1 said:

Read that Maurice Bromley passed on during the week in the Philippines. Top guy. 

Sad news and he can't have been very old. He and his wife were also very active in the Cricket Sixes at one time. Looks like it has been a bad year for cricketers.

• 2 months later...

Some of you would have known Phil Williams [UK]. Well there were actually 2x Phil Williams both from the UK. Phil1= owned Mango Fishing & he often added to the CM forum. He suffered a bout of cancer in the Uk but came back to ChiangMai to be with Dtoy his partner. Sad to say he often carried 3 pkts of cigs wherever he went? & for some time had a small Coffee shop with Dtoy just past Loi Kroh Rd.

The other Phil Williams  being No2 once owned the Pirate Cove after the original ex GI owner headed back State side--[ the Pirate mascot Macaw parrot is still alive in Thaton as at writing- 2020 ]. Phil2 on-sold the Pirate Cove & spent a lot of time in the Philippines but got ill and died back in the UK. Both good chaps & sad --- may they RIP.  Well thats a little to add since I haven't been around for a few years but still alive & kicking & still get back to ChiangMai..........but certainly miss those 20-30 years back..........as its not the same anymore---those were the best days in CM????                                                                                                                                         

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...

John Shenk cremation was today.  John lived in Bangkok and Mae Rim and worked overseas.  He was an American engineer from Kansas whose home was Thailand for over 50 years.  Intelligent kind man much appreciated.

• 2 months later...
On 3/26/2021 at 3:16 PM, georgegeorgia said:

Where are all these guys going ?

Lol - reminds me of when I went to Imm. a few years back to get my annual marriage extension stamp after the 30 days wait and the girl on reception, upon viewing my passport, asked me "Why are you here?" 

• Haha 2

• 5 months later...

Mr Andy Aston ,who lived for several years in Sansai  C.M ,died in the UK of Cancer to the Brain  in the last week or so . I believe he was a former fire fighter .He socialized out in Chiang mai at a bar called The Bamboo bar ,and another called the 19 th hole .I believe he was a keen golfer .He was only 61years old .He returned to the UK in 2020 because of his illness . 

• Sad 3

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Found out yesterday that a friend of mine in Chiangmai, Philip Marshall, had passed away on Sunday 28th Nov. after a short illness. He lived in the Faham district of the city and was a regular at the Mad Dog bar/restaurant on Moon Muang Road. A quiet, friendly chap who used to arrange Christmas dinner get togethers at several places over the years. I shall miss him, he was one of the 'good guys'. R.I.P my old friend.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 12/14/2021 at 7:31 PM, babyjesus said:

I heard today from his daughter, that Frank Moore AKA PeaceBlondie died at home this past weekend.  Cremation is being planned but I have no other information.

I heard this just a few weeks ago, unfortunately  he was never the same after his stroke  but was well cared for by his partner.

I remember he tried living in Hui Hin and hated it, moved back to CM.

Had a bad motorbike accident if I remember correctly 

RIP Frank

• 2 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, jonwilly said:

I understand that Ron from CM Saloon has passed away. I am told he fell and cracked his head, slipped and fell in the shower.

john

Ron used to be a tenant of mine when he first moved to

Chiang Mai, Showers and roads the most dangerous places

in Thailand.

RIP Ron

Regards Worgeordie

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

RIP ,Used see him many times when i would go for a quiet afternoon drink at the SM Salon next to the UN irish .That was 2018 to early 2019 ,They had happy hour Big Chang B75 .He used zip about on an old Honda wave .He looked early 60s .Kind of young to die .Sounds like it was a quick death ,which is how i would like to go .

• Like 1

On 3/4/2022 at 3:12 PM, Greenside said:

62265956_LRforposting.jpg.e0f3f6477cac718e01a2bf177100ad5b.jpg

Photograph by John Shedrik

I'm sad to report that John Shedrick, talented photographer and Chiang Mai Photographic Group member since its earliest days, passed away on February 20th. John was aged seventy seven and died from cancer, which he had been enduring for a couple of years.  He joined the CMPG back when our meetings were held above Tuskers Bar, and his work was selected for many of our annual exhibitions.

Many of us will probably remember him for his beautiful shots of waterfalls and he never failed to capture the best images of almost every Buddhist ceremony that Chiang Mai has to offer.

18332880971_3e308eb542_o.jpg.b617e82cc0c651d20a4e724ca3b85f3b.jpg

Photograph by John Shedrik

Although John has left us, a lot of his best pictures live on at Flickr (at least until his next subscription renewal) and you can see them here 

Wow, there's a lot of great pics there

• Like 1