Our Good Friend And Colleague Ajarn Ed Rose Has Passed-On

#1 user_off.pngtango user_popup.png

• av-17071.jpg
  • bullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.png

• user_add.png
  • email_open.png

• Group: Members

Posted Today, 16:37

I was just returning a call to Ed today, Weds 11 August, only to learn from his wife Mali that Ed had just passed on. Mali is busy arranging funeral rites so I did not press the circumstances. Ed had been battling cancer for several years now. An American ex-pat and true citizen of Chiangmai, Ed taught English at CMU for years, and more recently for the CMU medical fraternity at Suandok Hospital. He use to raise purebred cats at his "cattery" as a hobby. Mali, Ed's wife, as you may know is a renowned Thai tutor at AUA in Chiangmai. Ed will lay in rest at his village Wat tomorrow the 12th of August. Their village(I do not recall the name)is on the east bank of the Mae Ping where the bridge crosses the river as you travel from Global House to the Hang Dong Big C. See you tomorrow Ed. Rest In Peace buddy.

Just wanted to pay my respects here to Ajarn Ed, who I was privileged to get to know only during the last year, as he struggled, courageously, with his cancer. We had a few great story-telling jamborees over coffee, and much laughter.

He is one of those rare farangs who really did put down roots here.

His wife is also calling everyone who recently called him, and she told me that she has a friend who will help her in getting access to Ed's e-mail addresses, so others can be notified.

"Rest in Peace," Ajarn Ed

best, ~o:37;

• 2 weeks later...

With the greatest respect to this topic and all those living,dying, passed on and waiting to, may I request the moderator to correct the spelling of the heading of this Topic to read "Remembrance". I believe that to be the correct spelling.

I pay my respect to all those who have gone before us. RIP.

This thread was started in the last half of 2006.

SwaziBird you joined in the last half of 2006.

That means it will soon be 4 years old, and now you see the spelling error ?

Talk about slow readers ! ! ! ! Respectfully of course...

Thanks for pointing out the error I nor anyone else spotted it in the 4 years, or cared to.

Seriously

Thanks

Gonzo

This thread was started in the last half of 2006.

SwaziBird you joined in the last half of 2006.

That means it will soon be 4 years old, and now you see the spelling error ?

Talk about slow readers ! ! ! ! Respectfully of course...

Thanks for pointing out the error I nor anyone else spotted it in the 4 years, or cared to.

Seriously

Thanks

Gonzo

Hello Gonzo,

You are commended for having started this thread 4 years ago. As to being slow to find errors - what's 4 years ? Just remember that it, sometimes, takes a whole lifetime to recognise our errors !

Cheers.

Edited by SwaziBird

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone in this thread remember the Scotsman Ian White?

He had an export business in the night bazaar . Some years ago now (must be 15 or so) coming back from a working trip on the high seas I was ready to meet Ian for a drink when the bartender in one of the sewer alley bars in the night bazaar told me that Ian had passed away but knew nothing about the circumstances. When I had left about 4 month prior to this I knew nothing of any health problems he might have had.

Ian was a great character - spent half his live at sea - after some time in Africa (Lagos, Nigeria - you should have heard the stories!) the middle east and Saudi Arabia - he settled in Chiang Mai. What a great story teller he was. How many nights we spent drinking until the next morning but even at 9 or 10 AM Ian would still not go home - at least after such heavy sessions he would not go out for a week at least.

Not sure if anyone heard the story about Ian and the drunk police man? I am sure it made the rounds in Chiang Mai back then.

After a long night of drinking I had left Ian at around 8 AM - I just could not keep my eyes open anymore - somewhere Ian had breakfast and went on drinking in front of somebodies house in the city. One of the gang drinking there was an (also drunk) off duty policeman - it was around 12 noon when they ran out of beer and the policeman decided he would drive Ian on his motorbike to buy some more beer - coming back from a shop with plastic bags full of beer bottles exactly at the busy intersection where Thapae Road joins Thapae Gate the policeman could not control the bike anymore and fell - Ian fell off the bike with all the beer bottles sent flying - hundreds of people came running to see what had happened - there they where both in the middle of the road totally drunk - causing a traffic jam - Ian trying to salvage the bottles which where not broken - under the applause of the crowd they manged to get the bike started and took off to go on drinking until 5 PM!

What a wonderful person and character he was , intelligent man, officer in the merchant navy - spoke 5 languages fluent - I will never forget when we where the last two customers in a bar he would again and again have "one more for the road"!

Walter Pierson passed away 1/9/2010 at 69 years of age. Services held Sunday 5, Sept at Sankampaeng. He was a frequent patron of the Mad Dog and the old True Blue. Walter came to Chiang Mai about 6 years ago and built his home at Sankampaeng. His military service lead to him being a student of military tactics from Roman times to present day.

A quiet sort of fellow with a varied background, which included sailing in the Pacific, from Japan to Hawaii. He is survived by wife Yod and her/his family. RIP

For your information...

From the Informal Northern Thai Group Bulletin:

A Tribute to Edward Rose

A tribute is being planned by the INTG for Ed Rose, who passed away recently, for the evening of October 12, 2010 at the Alliance Francaise in Chiang Mai(Opposite Wat Chaimongkhon, Chiang Mai). Everyone who knew Ed is invited to attend and share their memories of Ed. There will be a slide-presentation on Ed’s life, and a number of people who knew Ed will speak about him. Anyone else who would like to speak is welcome to do so right after the scheduled presentations.

If you cannot attend and would like to write in a message for the tribute please send it by email to one of the organizers below and your message will be read during the program on the evening of the tribute.

For more information, please contact Pete at pfreeouf(at)yahoo(dot)com or Jack at snowgoose(at)fastmail(dot)cn

Note from the Secretary: The date may be changed due to a technical problem with the projector at the Alliance. Wait for a firm announcement and/or check the Website: http://www.intgcm.thehostserver.com

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to pay my respects here to Ajarn Ed, who I was privileged to get to know only during the last year, as he struggled, courageously, with his cancer. We had a few great story-telling jamborees over coffee, and much laughter.

He is one of those rare farangs who really did put down roots here.

His wife is also calling everyone who recently called him, and she told me that she has a friend who will help her in getting access to Ed's e-mail addresses, so others can be notified.

"Rest in Peace," Ajarn Ed

best, ~o:37;

Ed and I taught at CMU. He was a good man. RIP.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
<br />Christopher Billingsley, a great man, a great friend,heart and soul of any party.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

We lost another good man from this expat community last week. Rutger Addink from Holland, the genial host and expertise behind Massage Salon Loi Kroh, passed away as a result of head injuries sustained when he was hit by a motorcycle last June.

A self-effacing, multi-lingual man, Rutger had a very colourful background, was a born traveller and 'people person'.

He had sold jewelry in Holland which he imported from Afghanistan, a place he visited twice a year by driving there and back in a VW camper van.

In the late 70's/early 80's he owned and ran a high class restaurant in northern France, and for some years was the Food & Beverage Manager for Southern Sun Hotels in S.Africa and Zimbabwe.

Rutger ran a totally respectable, theraputic massage business, was an excellent and loving father to his one daughter and a good friend to many.

No funeral details available at time of posting; info awaited from the Hon Consul of The Netherlands.

<br />Christopher Billingsley, a great man, a great friend,heart and soul of any party.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

We lost another good man from this expat community last week. Rutger Addink from Holland, the genial host and expertise behind Massage Salon Loi Kroh, passed away as a result of head injuries sustained when he was hit by a motorcycle last June.

A self-effacing, multi-lingual man, Rutger had a very colourful background, was a born traveller and 'people person'.

He had sold jewelry in Holland which he imported from Afghanistan, a place he visited twice a year by driving there and back in a VW camper van.

In the late 70's/early 80's he owned and ran a high class restaurant in northern France, and for some years was the Food & Beverage Manager for Southern Sun Hotels in S.Africa and Zimbabwe.

Rutger ran a totally respectable, theraputic massage business, was an excellent and loving father to his one daughter and a good friend to many.

No funeral details available at time of posting; info awaited from the Hon Consul of The Netherlands.

Never met him, but sounds like a most interesting and worthwhile man.

RIP

<br /><br /><br />

I am deeply saddened by this. I used to chat with him occasionally over the past few years when he stopped in at the CM Saloon and I happened to be there.

I remember trading stories of Afghanistan with him- we were both going there in the same era.

Truly a gentleman and a kind soul.

RIP, Rutger.

I'd heard Rutger (I called him Rodger) was in hospital. So sad to hear he's died, I'd been going to his massage shop for at least 10 years, maybe more. The best massage in Chiang Mai in my opinion. My wife did her massage training in his massage school and over the last couple of years he'd taken to popping in for a Sangsom and Coke every now and then. Another death due to a motorcycle accident. A quietly spoken man, who only spoke passionately when discussing Thai massage, which he seemed to truly understand . God Rest his Soul. Sad Loss

My great friend and mentor, Lucas Villiger, founder and owner for many years of the Darling Wine Pub (first on Nimmanhaemin then Huay Kaew Road) passed away from complications during surgery in Switzerland about ten days ago. If any of his friends here are interested, I am thinking of organising a small get together, please PM me for details. You loved him or hated him, he was that kind of guy, but he was fiercely intelligent, cantankerous, hospitable to some while rude to others, but for me, he taught me so much about how to think and view the world. He loved to challenge the mind and for that many of us will forever be grateful. He will be missed.

<br />That is sad to hear.  He was a nice and very interesting man!<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Hi.

So was 'Angel', an American man in his early 40's, quite well known in the local classic car world, who passed away of natural causes some weeks ago. I only heard about this today and, sorry, still don't know his full name.

He was the technical brain behind a fuel saving device which used hydrogen to get better consumption. More info would come from Thai 'Jimmy' of J & N Autos, southern ring road, not far from Global House, who retails the fuel saving kit.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

William Young, Helped U.S. Organize Secret War in Laos, Is Dead at 76 - Obituary in Today's NY Times.

CHIANG MAI, Thailand — William Young, a missionary's son who mixed evangelical zeal with covert missions for the C.I.A. in Southeast Asia and who helped organize the "secret war " in Laos for the United States during the Vietnam War, died on Friday at his home here in northern Thailand. He was 76. (snip ...)

William Young followed his father's path and joined the C.I.A. after a year serving in the United States Army. In the early 1960s, as the war in Vietnam escalated, Mr. Young assembled an army of local tribespeople in neighboring Laos, a force that at its peak reached several thousand men.

"We used to jokingly call him the American warlord," said Bertil Lintner, an author and longtime friend of Mr. Young's. "He was ideally placed to organize the secret war in Laos."

As far as I know, I never met him, but would have liked to. He must have been very knowledgeable about North Thailand and Laos. Anyone here knew him? Lived in and around Chiang Mai almost his whole life by the sound of things.

As far as I know, I never met him, but would have liked to. He must have been very knowledgeable about North Thailand and Laos. Anyone here knew him? Lived in and around Chiang Mai almost his whole life by the sound of things.

I met him a couple of times, but only really knew his son. Bill Young seemed quiet, unassuming and kept a low profile, but then what he had already done by the time I met him in the early '90s -- one would keep a low profile.

His cover was really blown by the seminal book "Politics of Heroin in Southeast Asia". He told me he thought the author McCoy was a fellow agent because he seemed to know so much, so Bill talked openly with him. If you haven't read the book, it really is comprehensive on that fascinating time. It is still widely quoted today and some of the explosive revelations came (unintentionally) from Bill Young.

As I understand it, he was married several times, to hilltribe "princesses".

Bill was a fixture in this part of the world. He used to spend quite a bit of time in Chiang Mai but in past few years came to town for a good meal, less frequently. I enjoyed visiting with him on numerous occasions, each very informative, when you got him going.

RIP