Koh Tao: Trial opens for 2 accused of killing British tourists

webfact

I have yet to hear anyone quoting the British police as saying that they had access to. Or tested any DNA.

well now you have.

Nope

I have seen something saying that the defense says......

Only reason I can think of for your posts are purely to muddy the waters and hijack the thread with irrelevant and meaningless comments

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Speaking outside the Koh Samui Provincial Court, lead defence lawyer Nakhon Chompuchat said: "We have received information from Britain that shows inconsistencies in the prosecution case. It is significant evidence."

The perfect case........hey general

Mr Nakhon if you expect justice to be done i would expect all parties to be able to scrutinise evidence and ask serious questions of the investigative process.

I feel dreadfully sorry for the boys on trial. I just can't see how they did it when all viable evidence points elsewhere. They've suffered enough so hope they are acquitted sooner rather than later

There were also people sorry for Charles Manson so let's not jump to any concusions. The baby faced 20-year olds are perfectly capable of rape and murder.

Speaking outside the Koh Samui Provincial Court, lead defence lawyer Nakhon Chompuchat said: "We have received information from Britain that shows inconsistencies in the prosecution case. It is significant evidence."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/thailand/11725454/Thai-police-officer-describes-finding-bodies-of-British-backpackers-during-murder-trial.html

Personally I don't buy this "we were tortured into confessing" c&%#p. They would have to do a lot more to me than just a few slaps to get a confession which would certainly mean the gallows or life in jail. Flaying or removing body parts comes to mind. The Burmese boys looked pretty healthy to me after the alleged "torture".

Bodies of two British backpackers 'found by blood covered rocks', murder trial hears

By Press Association

The bodies of two British backpackers murdered on a beach in Thailand were found partially naked near blood spattered rocks, a Thai court has heard.

Hannah Witheridge, 23, from Great Yarmouth, Norfolk, and David Miller, 24, from Jersey, were killed on the island of Koh Tao last September.

Their families have travelled to the nearby island of Koh Samui where Burmese migrants Zaw Lin and Wai Phyo, also known as Win Zaw Htun, stand charged with murder and rape.

The first policeman on the scene described getting a call at 6.30am that morning informing him that two bodies had been found on the beach.

"I found a man's body lying on the beach with seawater lapping his body," said Lieutenant Jakrapan Kaewkao, a witness for the prosecution.

"Then I found the woman's body behind the rocks."

He added that the bodies, both of which were mostly unclothed, were several yards apart and said Ms Witheridge's bore signs of physical assault.

He also said the rocks were spotted with blood.

A doctor who examined the bodies of the two Britons is expected to be called later.

Bodies of two British backpackers 'found by blood covered rocks', murder trial hears
By Press Association
The bodies of two British backpackers murdered on a beach in Thailand were found partially naked near blood spattered rocks, a Thai court has heard.
Hannah Witheridge, 23, from Great Yarmouth, Norfolk, and David Miller, 24, from Jersey, were killed on the island of Koh Tao last September.
Their families have travelled to the nearby island of Koh Samui where Burmese migrants Zaw Lin and Wai Phyo, also known as Win Zaw Htun, stand charged with murder and rape.
The first policeman on the scene described getting a call at 6.30am that morning informing him that two bodies had been found on the beach.
"I found a man's body lying on the beach with seawater lapping his body," said Lieutenant Jakrapan Kaewkao, a witness for the prosecution.
"Then I found the woman's body behind the rocks."
He added that the bodies, both of which were mostly unclothed, were several yards apart and said Ms Witheridge's bore signs of physical assault.
He also said the rocks were spotted with blood.
A doctor who examined the bodies of the two Britons is expected to be called later.

Who called him? It wasn't the village headman and his brother now was it. Who were those local yocals screwing up the crime scene in the early release of photos?

Ruling expected tomorrow on whether DNA evidence in British backpacker murders can be retested by an independent laboratory. #kohtao

I hope so,not much is being said about how it was obtained from the Burmese boys, and not much about the lawyer that wittnessed the boys bruises.

I caught a taxi in Bangkok the other day and talked to the driver about it and he expessed concerns that the boys did not do this and were scapegoats, so there must be a big doubt in the general publics minds.

I feel though that they might get the wrong end of the stick as face saving may well rule the day.

Terrible thing for the parents to go through.

I hope that the truth does surface.

Mr Nakhon if you expect justice to be done i would expect all parties to be able to scrutinise evidence and ask serious questions of the investigative process.

I feel dreadfully sorry for the boys on trial. I just can't see how they did it when all viable evidence points elsewhere. They've suffered enough so hope they are acquitted sooner rather than later

I really don't see why you should feel sorry for the boys who are accused of Raping and Murdering that girl, and other boy. You should feel happy for them now.

After all they have been held in Custody since last October. But now they have a change to present all this "viable evidence" you claim they have and thus surely they will be set free.

I mean who could hold anyone with all this viable evidence that nobody has seen or heard about yet, with all this media attention?

Personally I don't buy this "we were tortured into confessing" c&%#p. They would have to do a lot more to me than just a few slaps to get a confession which would certainly mean the gallows or life in jail. Flaying or removing body parts comes to mind. The Burmese boys looked pretty healthy to me after the alleged "torture".

Do you know the alleged method of torture and did you examine their bodies? Or did you make your detailed analysis from news reports?

Speaking outside the Koh Samui Provincial Court, lead defence lawyer Nakhon Chompuchat said they have received information from Britain that shows inconsistencies in the prosecution case. It is significant evidence."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/thailand/11725454/Thai-police-officer-describes-finding-bodies-of-British-backpackers-during-murder-trial.html

If the judge rules that there cant be a new independent DNA test are we to believe that the British have made a mistake and this is the perfect case?

Might be a conspiracy theorist to insinuate anything untoward! tongue.png

Statement: Defence Lawyers Team, Koh Tao Case
The Lawyers Council of Thailand is confident that the mechanisms of the justice system including prosecution officials, defence lawyers and the court itself will be able to ensure that the United Kingdom, Myanmar and other countries across the world consider and accept the Thai justice system as adhering to standards of international justice.

Fine, to have confidence. But let's see what really happens. Actions speak louder than words. Already, the judge changed one of his decicions (agreed in April to defense request to have key evidence reviewed, ....then reneged two weeks later).

Great to see that the people are starting to see what some what some posters are really like and ignoring them is the best medicine for them .

Yes, I could have responded, but what's the mileage in having a meaningless debate argument. Now the Brits are helping the defence, and if independent testing of DNA is permitted, I'm hopeful the prosecution's case will founder on the rocks of truthful disclosure.

Which Brits are helping the defense?

What, so you and friends can pinpoint them to threaten 'defamation of character' lawsuits? Would you like their hotels and rooms numbers also?

Well good for you, that you're so tough to not break under physical and psychological torture. Not all of us are so tough. The session started with threats - to the boys - that they were illegals and would suffer for that. It was not until 2 months later that it was proven, at the first arraignment before the judge, that they were legally in Thailand.

At the 'safe house' the boys were also told that a broken bottle was used as a weapn, so they admitted to that also. Even though no mention of a bottle or broken glass was made prior to that interrogation, and of course, no glass was found at the site. The non-professional translator was mentioned (afterwards by the boys) as the scariest of all the elder men in the room. The translator broached the broken glass ruse. He could have shouted at the boys that a 3 headed eagle was involved, and the boys would have agreed to that also.

If you think that torture must show up in facial bruises and cuts, here's a suggestion which might disavow you of that fallacy. Come on down to my basement sometime. I've got a few tools and devices which can get you singing Louie Louie in a very high register, while licking my boots, ....and there won't be any bruises or cuts shown on your upper body the next day.

Policeman describes finding the bodies of Hannah Witheridge and David Miller

By Jonathan Samuels, Senior News Correspondent

KOH SAMUI:-- A policeman has described finding the bodies of British backpackers Hannah Witheridge and David Miller, as the trial of the two men accused of their murder begins in Thailand.

The pair were killed last September shortly after meeting on the holiday island of Koh Tao.

Their bodies were found on the beach. Prosecutors say Hannah, 23, from Norfolk, had been raped and beaten.

David, 24, from Jersey, drowned in the sea after receiving head injuries.

The first witness in the trial on Koh Samui, Lt Jakrapan Kaewkao, told the court he found a gruesome sight as he arrived on the scene shortly after getting a 6.30am call.

He said: "I found a man's body lying on the beach. Then I found the woman's body behind the rocks."

Spots of blood were on the rocks, he added, and the two bodies were several metres apart and nearly naked.

Read more: http://news.sky.com/story/1515031/brit-backpacker-murders-thailand-trial-begins

The first witness in the trial on Koh Samui, Lt Jakrapan Kaewkao, told the court he found a gruesome sight as he arrived on the scene shortly after getting a 6.30am call.

I hope the person the person that made the call is included in the trial .

Wasn't it mon that made the call.

From in touch guest house.

The one that some have suspected knows more than he is saying.

KOH SAMUI:-- A policeman has described finding the bodies of British backpackers Hannah Witheridge and David Miller, as the trial of the two men accused of their murder begins in Thailand.

The pair were killed last September shortly after meeting on the holiday island of Koh Tao.

Their bodies were found on the beach. Prosecutors say Hannah, 23, from Norfolk, had been raped and beaten.

He said: "I found a man's body lying on the beach. Then I found the woman's body behind the rocks."

Spots of blood were on the rocks, he added, and the two bodies were several metres apart and nearly naked.

Read more: http://news.sky.com/story/1515031/brit-backpacker-murders-thailand-trial-begins

time to check phone records and prove who actually found the bodies "maybe mon just knocked on his policeman friends door and said we have a problem "

This is David vs Goliath stuff. And on such an unlevel playing field too. If the DNA evidence cannot be independently tested after UK disputes it then UK needs to grow some balls and really kick up a stink - will that happen? Doubtful if it's left to the usual diplomat and political lines. If independent re-testing is denied by the court then I hope UK just throws out to the media what it has found to help cast doubt and also draw attention to the fit up. If things really start looking tenuous then the media must start pushing.

Problem for the people who want it to go away is who can the crimes be pinned on if the Burmese Two become less viable suspects?

RTP / forensics even said themselves that they recovered 3 different lots of DNA from Hannah in one of their news conferences back at the time yet outwardly they don't seem worried about whoever number 3 is?? (nor genuine number 1 or 2 for that matter).

Of course the local police know who really did this, possibly even some involvement - after all our friend Mon had a very chummy police friend with him when they went looking for someone to try and pin it on (their initial seemingly preferred target being a silent, hanging Mr McCanna - now why would they want their chosen one to be silent rather than brought to justice?).

I hope some surprise witnesses turn up, if not blocked by the shady legal system.

Statement: Defence Lawyers Team, Koh Tao Case
KOH SAMUI:-- A team of defence lawyers assumed responsibility for this case in the name of the Lawyers Council of Thailand as this appeared to be a situation where the accused had been tortured to confess to the crimes they are accused of.
The accused in this case are migrant workers but all their basic human rights for access to justice as the accused and defendants in a criminal case should be respected.
The Lawyers Council of Thailand expects justice to be achieved for all parties to this case and is working to ensure the truth is revealed. The Lawyers Council of Thailand is confident that the mechanisms of the justice system including prosecution officials, defence lawyers and the court itself will be able to ensure that the United Kingdom, Myanmar and other countries across the world consider and accept the Thai justice system as adhering to standards of international justice.
The Lawyers Council of Thailand hopes that both domestic and international media will cooperate in reporting the truth in this case in a correct manner, in a way that respects the deceased and their families and in such a way as to ensure justice for all parties to the case in accordance with everyone’s expectations. I would like to thank the media in advance for your cooperation.
Mr. Nakhon Chomphuchat
Koh Samui
8th July 2015

"The Lawyers Council of Thailand hopes that both domestic and international media will cooperate in reporting the truth in this case in a correct manner, in a way that respects the deceased and their families and in such a way as to ensure justice for all parties to the case in accordance with everyone’s expectations. I would like to thank the media in advance for your cooperation."

That's very rich of them to say when the defense team, and their proxies, have been busy for months disseminating and encouraging all sort of speculation and rumor mongering to hold the trial "on the court of public opinion" directly in opposition with the stated wishes from the victim's families.

That's very rich of you to say when the "defense team and their proxies" have had no option as they have been denied access to any evidence!

Maybe the police concerned know how to torture and leave no marks.

Yes it was according to a previous poster on here who is close to the action "Islandlife"

He said the cleaner found the bodies then told Mon, Mon in turn called his buddies the cops

Great to see that the people are starting to see what some what some posters are really like and ignoring them is the best medicine for them .

Yes, I could have responded, but what's the mileage in having a meaningless debate argument. Now the Brits are helping the defence, and if independent testing of DNA is permitted, I'm hopeful the prosecution's case will founder on the rocks of truthful disclosure.

Yes! I agree that an argument is not called for here, but also people are entitled to their own opinion, and this should be respected also.

But since people like Theory so much here, let me throw one out of my own for a change.

Let's say that the Defense is granted Credible Independent Testing of the DNA for the 2 accused. Which personally I hope they are allowed to do. But lets also say it doesn't turn out to be what the Defense Team expected. After all, the only ones who really know if they are guilty or innocent are the 2 accused. So instead of the DNA Testing Negative, it comes back Positive, and there DNA Matches the DNA found inside of Hannah.

Now I am not saying for sure this would happen, or even suggesting this, but my Theory is that if it ever did unfold this way, which it should if they were guilty, then the Defense Team's Ship is Sunk! There is no turning back from their.

As it stands now, and without Independent Testing, to some it may raise doubt in their minds as to the DNA Testing they have. Like you for instance. But through Independent Testing, they leave no doubt at all. So I hope they are granted Independent Testing, but also in this case I would be careful for what I ask for, as you might get it.

I guess either way the truth will come out. If the court allow the defence independent testing of the DNA the truth will be for all to see. If the court does not allow it, then the truth is also there for all to see.

Yes! I agree that an argument is not called for here, but also people are entitled to their own opinion, and this should be respected also.

But since people like Theory so much here, let me throw one out of my own for a change.

Let's say that the Defense is granted Credible Independent Testing of the DNA for the 2 accused. Which personally I hope they are allowed to do. But lets also say it doesn't turn out to be what the Defense Team expected. After all, the only ones who really know if they are guilty or innocent are the 2 accused. So instead of the DNA Testing Negative, it comes back Positive, and there DNA Matches the DNA found inside of Hannah.

Now I am not saying for sure this would happen, or even suggesting this, but my Theory is that if it ever did unfold this way, which it should if they were guilty, then the Defense Team's Ship is Sunk! There is no turning back from their.

As it stands now, and without Independent Testing, to some it may raise doubt in their minds as to the DNA Testing they have. Like you for instance. But through Independent Testing, they leave no doubt at all. So I hope they are granted Independent Testing, but also in this case I would be careful for what I ask for, as you might get it.

But I think your missing the point of the implications of this. If the UK has DNA evidence that conflicts with the RTP DNA then thats it! No matter what amount of re testing is done you can never match one set of DNA with another separate DNA.

You also miss the point, its not just a few posters on here questioning the DNA nor is it just the defense team. It is the UK, why is that? Clue could be in my latter sentence.

this case was an absolute farce to begin with the crime scene was tarnished to begin with because people were allowed to walk all over it secondly when these boys were dna tested they passed thirdly the british police were allowed to observe so they didn't serve any useful purpose the whole thing smells.

I have yet to hear anyone quoting the British police as saying that they had access to. Or tested any DNA.

well now you have.

Nope

I have seen something saying that the defense says......

Only reason I can think of for your posts are purely to muddy the waters and hijack the thread with irrelevant and meaningless comments

Nothing meaningless about pointing out that the defense is making a claim and that publicly the UK police haven't corroborated it.

It will be interesting if it is true. Personally, I doubt the veracity of the claim, but it is possible.

Sooo, electrical shock to your testicles, or water boarding, and things such as that wouldn't bother you in the least, right? God, what a Manley Man you must be!

On the other hand, I spent 20 years as a U.S. Marine, and I can guarantee that I know ways to torture that can make you curse your own mother for ever giving birth to you, make you admit to being the man on the grassy knoll in the Kennedy assassination, make you confess to being the mastermind behind the 9/11 attack, and - (here's the important part, so pay attention) - not leave a single bruise or mark on your body, tough guy.

I guess either way the truth will come out. If the court allow the defence independent testing of the DNA the truth will be for all to see. If the court does not allow it, then the truth is also there for all to see.

Providing of course that the re-tested samples are genuine. Should it happen it would be nice to know what samples were tested, how they were acquired, what is the possibility of tampering etc. I'll be a bit stunned if there are rock solid tamper free samples still and the court allows independent testing of these.

I wonder why the UK did not make the reports from the UK coppers that went over. The UK government keeping Thai authorities happy by saying nothing. The court case should be held a long way away.

Will be a white wash I am thinking.

Archived