Immigration: Failure to comply with 24-hour foreign guest registration carries B8,000 fine

webfact

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They really have no idea about how to run a country or efficiency. The only thing they can do is create mountains of red tape.

8,000 Baht, about the same penalty as causing death in a vehicle accident. Thailand is in for a real shock when Asia opens up it borders.

"They really have no idea about how to run a country or [sic] efficiency."

You mean like the cutting edge efficiency of the collapsing Eurozone countries or the superbly efficient management of economies & financial markets more generally in the west?

debt_460x231.jpg

Let all the Euro Zone countries follow Greece and get out of Thailand!!!!

so staying at a guesthouse in a remote location without internet....the guest house owner is expected to travel to the nearest police station or to the nearest immigration office?

Could be costly for many thai hotels owners.

Correct .. and within 24 hours of the guest arriving.

And I don't know waht all this forum fuss is all about. This law/rule has been in force for years and years. Big hotels have always complied. Small operators and private owners have rarely complied. Each year Immigration make this sort of 'threat' to encourage owners to comply.

They really have no idea about how to run a country or efficiency. The only thing they can do is create mountains of red tape.

8,000 Baht, about the same penalty as causing death in a vehicle accident. Thailand is in for a real shock when Asia opens up it borders.

Thailand won't be in for any shock when ASEAN opens up. Don't you know: "foreign guests" = farangs. Farangs are specially singled out for the 400 baht fee in parks. I have watched Chinese and other non-Thai Asians go in for the Thai rate. Do you remember the "foreigner medical card" that became available a year or two ago? For a small fee paid up front it made medical care less expensive for "foreigners" living here. I had several friends that got it. Suddenly, the government said, "Hey wait; that card was not supposed to be for farang; that was a mistake." The card has since been taken away from the farangs that had it and is no longer available to non-Asian foreigners.

Maybe they should make us wear a yellow star on our foreheads. Oh wait a minute, don't need that. Round eyes and white face does the trick.

Yeah, I know, I'm paranoid. I sure hope that's all it is. But of course, just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get me.

"They really have no idea about how to run a country or [sic] efficiency."

You mean like the cutting edge efficiency of the collapsing Eurozone countries or the superbly efficient management of economies & financial markets more generally in the west?

debt_460x231.jpg

True , true...but you forgot to include Thailand's Financial collapse in 1997-98 .....and lets not forget the 17 plus Military coups occurring in Thailand in the last 60 years.

Just saying...you know.

Cheers

This is for hotel, resorts and private persons that rent out a condo etc. have nothing to do with the tourist them selfs. No need for you guys to have a titi attack over this nonsense that will not affect you in any way unless you rent out your space or run a hotel/motel/resort. This is nothing new even the U.S. Embassy ask you to give them your contact information incl phone and accommodation.

And if your wife (or her family) owns the house, she has to pay the fine.

Thailand won't be in for any shock when ASEAN opens up. Don't you know: "foreign guests" = farangs. Farangs are specially singled out for the 400 baht fee in parks. I have watched Chinese and other non-Thai Asians go in for the Thai rate. Do you remember the "foreigner medical card" that became available a year or two ago? For a small fee paid up front it made medical care less expensive for "foreigners" living here. I had several friends that got it. Suddenly, the government said, "Hey wait; that card was not supposed to be for farang; that was a mistake." The card has since been taken away from the farangs that had it and is no longer available to non-Asian foreigners.

Maybe they should make us wear a yellow star on our foreheads. Oh wait a minute, don't need that. Round eyes and white face does the trick.

Yeah, I know, I'm paranoid. I sure hope that's all it is. But of course, just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get me.

That health care scheme was announced and meant to be for foreign workers from neighbouring countries, just misinterpreted by some.

Your singling out of farang is totally unjustified.

But feel free to wear your star.

This is for hotel, resorts and private persons that rent out a condo etc. have nothing to do with the tourist them selfs. No need for you guys to have a titi attack over this nonsense that will not affect you in any way unless you rent out your space or run a hotel/motel/resort. This is nothing new even the U.S. Embassy ask you to give them your contact information incl phone and accommodation.

Exactly ... at last a very sensible post. This news topic is directed to private rental businesses. All the majot businesses already know and I expect comply with these long standing registration regulation. Heck... even a small business like ours has been complying for years.
A question? Does this reporting apply to a foreigner living here, ona retirement extension or a work permit, for example, when staying away from the registered home? If for example I live in Pattaya, but go visiting friends in Chiang Mai for a week or so, living in their home, does this need to be reported, and who is responsible?

Where in the world do these people get these ideas from.... Maxi-Silly-Mart?

I agree, same as a recent dictum that everyone must present their Passport/ID Card when sending something through the Post Office to prevent postage of illicit items such as drugs, completely forgetting all the shiny red post boxes right outside ..

A question? Does this reporting apply to a foreigner living here, ona retirement extension or a work permit, for example, when staying away from the registered home? If for example I live in Pattaya, but go visiting friends in Chiang Mai for a week or so, living in their home, does this need to be reported, and who is responsible?

Yes, stay with a friend then that friend or the owner of the residence must by law register you at that address within 24 hours, or be liable for the fine.

Where in the world do these people get these ideas from.... Maxi-Silly-Mart?

I agree, same as a recent dictum that everyone must present their Passport/ID Card when sending something through the Post Office to prevent postage of illicit items such as drugs, completely forgetting all the shiny red post boxes right outside ..

The passport/ID card requirement when sending something at the post office is for parcels only. You know, those things that do not fit in the shine red post boxes outside.

Yes, stay with a friend then that friend or the owner of the residence must by law register you at that address within 24 hours, or be liable for the fine.

As a side issue, in this case, would the farang "friend" attending the Immigration Office or Police Station to report they have a guest staying, be considered to be "working" without a work permit?

I mean, wouldn't it raise suspicions that the "guest" may be a paying guest, and you are "working" by registering them?

Actually, isn't it the case that no payment needs to be received for an activity to it still be considered as working?

well, that will be a great stimulus for the influx of tourists & their money

"Hotel and other accommodation owners in Phuket who fail to comply with the requirement to register foreign guests ..."

Why would the "influx" of tourist be influenced by fines charged to resort or hotel owners?

Wait....hey up....suradit puts on his rose-coloured specs again. What a goody goody. Bet you used to snitch on all your mates when you were at school.

He just happens to be exactly right in what he says.......................wink.png

Lot of people jumping at the headline thinking it is going to affect them personally. Unless you are the owner of a hotel, resort or premises that offers accommodation, move along please, nothing to see here.

"Lot of people jumping at the headline thinking it is going to affect them personally." - have you never had a friend, or family member visit you, and stay at your place?

As a side issue, in this case, would the farang "friend" attending the Immigration Office or Police Station to report they have a guest staying, be considered to be "working" without a work permit?

I mean, wouldn't it raise suspicions that the "guest" may be a paying guest, and you are "working" by registering them?

Actually, isn't it the case that no payment needs to be received for an activity to it still be considered as working?

No, no and yes.

No, no and yes.

How can the last one be yes, with the other two, no?

What about a condo owner renting out their condo? Obviously, the rent is payment.

Marketing, advertising, showing a prospective tenant through, drawing up the lease, registering the tenant with Immigration, arranging repairs etc.

Are they working, or not?

Hey, hey all readers, especially "livinginkata" and "michael8511" ;-)

The laws says accommodation owners have to register their guests!!!

This means ALL(!), read all, that stays in your home, hotel, car or whatever!

Dosen´t matter if paying or not, ALL(!) have to be registered within 24 hours!

Dear readers, this stupid law have been for years, but still as stupid.

Now they found out that Internet exist, before the rule was to fax(!) the important info every night to a Bangkok number.

So don´t forget to register your wife, lover, gay friend, bar girl, kids or just relatives within 24 hours, and every night, because this might end up in a heavy fine.

This law is valid in all Thailand, just so you know.

Do ALL have access to register online?

I think this is what the issue is ALL about.

Maybe not though, maybe it was me that read it wrong and didn't panic, or try to cause panic.......................wink.png

No, no and yes.

How can the last one be yes, with the other two, no?

What about a condo owner renting out their condo? Obviously, the rent is payment.

Marketing, advertising, showing a prospective tenant through, drawing up the lease, registering the tenant with Immigration, arranging repairs etc.

Are they working, or not?

That question has been answered many times already and is off topic.

Again, the answer to your original question is no, no and yes.

I sure hope the Foreign Guess Reporting System works better than the new 90 Day Address Online Reporting System. If it don't, the govt will be collecting tens of thousands Bt8K fines....maybe that's their real plan.

"I sure hope the Foreign Guess [sic] Reporting System works better than ..."

Or even better than the United Airlines system or the New York Stock Exchange system or the Wall Street Journal website which, respectively, grounded all UA aircraft worldwide or halted trading for 3 1/2 hours or crashed all on Wednesday morning.

Not correct! The penalties are specified in Chapter 8 of the Immigration Act and are:

1) For the Alian missing to report his/her arrival within 24 hrs, the penalty is stated in Section 75 of the Act.

"Section 75: Any alien, who fails to comply with the provisions of Section 37 shall be punished with imprisonment not exceeding 1 year or a fine not exceeding 10,000 Baht or both."

2) For the Housemaster missing to report the arrival of an alian within 24 hrs, the penalty is stated in Section 77 of the Act.

"Section 77: Whoever fails to comply with the provision of Section 38 shall be punished with a fine not exceeding 2,000 Baht. If said person is a hotel manager, he shall be punished with a fine from 2,000 Baht to 10,000 Baht."

As the penalties are written in the Act, hence law, an amendment, followed by advertising in the Government Gazette, must take place before any changes are legally valid.

It is off topic but If you are a Thai yes then it could be very well 8000 baht, but if you are a Farang no way you get away with that amount....

I think the fine for not registering a guest within a given period is rather steep.

Who cares,nothing to do with us guests.My regular haunts never ask for any ID.it's all about tax.

Thailand does not know a thing about "efficiency", I mean in all aspects. blink.png

They never think this stuff through do they.

What then if you book accommodation via Airbnb?

Please describe the non-intrusive measures you would take to track foreign travellers who may have contracted communicable diseases and who are unlikely to respond to public service announcements. Be as specific as possible.

For extra points, include any grammatically correct English language sentence that includes the words "what", "then" and "if" in sequence.

Didn't think so.

Conclusion - you didn't really think it through.

So, it's all about "communicable diseases" is it, of which, Thailand has more inside its boarders being taken out, rather than outside its boarders being bought in.

I guess you "didn't really think your post through" - or is that "threw?" biggrin.png

Right, the short-term boarders within Thai borders. The ones that might have been on the flight with the Omani MERS dude for example.

I would say yes, it is about that sort of thing. Tracking folks on flights that may have been exposed to disease. Figuring out where people are or what happened to them when overseas relatives report them missing. Various other safety precautions that benefit the peeps passing throo on holiday.

Why else would they bother? Why have immigration decided to do the extra work? Not busy enough already?

Cause there is Money to extort from small GH owners, especielly if they are farang owned ... The harassment from these uniformed parasites just getting worse ...

In Nong Khai I have been told that it is the visitors responsibility. Ie, my wife does not have to report me I need to report to Immigration within 24 hours (of course it is delayed if Imigration is closed or I come in to Bangkok and take a few days to get to Nong Khai).

In Nong Khai I have been told that it is the visitors responsibility. Ie, my wife does not have to report me I need to report to Immigration within 24 hours (of course it is delayed if Imigration is closed or I come in to Bangkok and take a few days to get to Nong Khai).

And who told you that ? The rule/law is very clear. It is the landlord's responsibility to report and if not (and caught) then the landlord pays the fine. It's very very clear.

Archived