Immigration: Failure to comply with 24-hour foreign guest registration carries B8,000 fine

webfact

i was in a pattaya bar/also guest house wednesday when immigration waltzed in.

2 tg's in pink polo tops with badges, 1 cop in uniform with gun, 1 plain clothed immigration guy with badge.

i was the only customer having a beer but they ignored me.

they fined the guest house 1,600 bht for whatever failure to report but said either pay or we will take all your guests to soi 5 immigration jomtien and it will cost 4,000 each to get them back!

the girls after a call to the falang boss paid of course.

receipt issued but they also checked his CTH footy licence was ok.................what has that got to do with immigration? just trying to find another angle i think.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i was in a pattaya bar/also guest house wednesday when immigration waltzed in.

2 tg's in pink polo tops with badges, 1 cop in uniform with gun, 1 plain clothed immigration guy with badge.

i was the only customer having a beer but they ignored me.

they fined the guest house 1,600 bht for whatever failure to report but said either pay or we will take all your guests to soi 5 immigration jomtien and it will cost 4,000 each to get them back!

the girls after a call to the falang boss paid of course.

receipt issued but they also checked his CTH footy licence was ok.................what has that got to do with immigration? just trying to find another angle i think.

Pattaya has developed into a big city. There are thousands of establishments there. The "visits" from authorities are more irregular in Pattaya. Phuket is smaller.

That said, on Phuket, as businesses close, and many are closing by the week - the ones that are left are going to get squeezed harder and harder in the future by authorities, for the most minor of things.

Sure, they can pass the "extortion tax" onto the customer, which eventually will see them close as well.

"tea money" is drying up on Phuket, but those in authority still want to drink the same amount of tea as they did in the good old days.

They never think this stuff through do they.

What then if you book accommodation via Airbnb?

Please describe the non-intrusive measures you would take to track foreign travellers who may have contracted communicable diseases and who are unlikely to respond to public service announcements. Be as specific as possible.

For extra points, include any grammatically correct English language sentence that includes the words "what", "then" and "if" in sequence.

Didn't think so.

Conclusion - you didn't really think it through.

So, it's all about "communicable diseases" is it, of which, Thailand has more inside its boarders being taken out, rather than outside its boarders being bought in.

I guess you "didn't really think your post through" - or is that "threw?" biggrin.png

Right, the short-term boarders within Thai borders. The ones that might have been on the flight with the Omani MERS dude for example.

I would say yes, it is about that sort of thing. Tracking folks on flights that may have been exposed to disease. Figuring out where people are or what happened to them when overseas relatives report them missing. Various other safety precautions that benefit the peeps passing throo on holiday.

Why else would they bother? Why have immigration decided to do the extra work? Not busy enough already?

Good point. Never thought of that. The official response to the MERS risk may well have caused them to suddenly need 100% 24 hour compliance so they can at least try and trace near seat passengers (to a a MERS carrier). They have the law there, and possibly some other neighbouring Asian countries do not, so Thailand said "Let's get this working." Having said that it may be a fair emergency response but I reckon it will still get a less than 30% compliance. Could be a potentially better earner than VAT if enforced.

Archived