What's wonderful NOW in Bangkok for the adventurous value seeking eater?

Jingthing

Other option for Indian is Royal India restaurant in Little India...Chakraphet Rd....opposite that outside the mall is a samosa stand...best in Bangkok.....that's the best cheap Indian option....although in the mall...top floor is a great dosa place too...super cheap in there.

Good to know, but so far to go. How much are the samosas? I'm sick of seeing the laughable offerings up Sukhumvit way, three for 70 baht a typical example. Last time I was in Penang they were being sold at street stalls for 5 baht each, so how come the Indians of Bangkok find it so difficult to make samosas at a reasonable price?

To keep it all relevant,

sprq

what year was that when you were in Penang?

I liked Penang a lot but didn't have the impression it was inexpensive when we visited 15 months ago.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I had a good look at that best tables in Bangok list and not gonna lie wouldn't mind trying most of those places. But my budget and temperament is more of an ethnic food risk taker than a hiso high cost so called foodie.

Anyway I did decide on trying one of places.

Supanniga

A bit racist innit?

It's on Thonglor 55 across the road from Soi 7 in a small easy to miss 3 story building.

They have regional Thai food from Trat and Khon Kaen.

Using quality ingredients more or less traditional recipes are offered. The prices may seem low for such a high profile place but as the portions are very small they really aren't. Easy to spend 1000 per there.

A small place so bookings essential for dinner but also open for lunch.

I had 3 dishes and loved them but found the service surprisingly crappy.

Prawns with sator stinky beans and high end special fish paste 190

nam prik khai pu (crab meat with chili paste, B190)

moo cha muang (pork with Guttiferae tree leaves, B170)

The nam prik had some bite. This is not meant to be a spicy food place and that's OK.

Sounds like a lot of food? Well it wasn't. In fact I left hungry and would have considered ordering another dish but the kitchen had closed early.

Some people will feel ripped off and think this is a tourist trap as it does attract mostly foreigners.

I don't feel that way. Simply great Thai food that will delight.

Some great leads so far. Please keep them coming. I will definitely act on some of them. Also this will be helpful to others with adventurous eclectic tastes.

i hope this is true but to tell you the truth food vendors who were once a gem are rare around KSR these days and are mostly serving low quality food in small portions to increase profit

Last minute Thonglor food tasting orgy for "lunch" so starting at Khlua kling pak sod Thonglor soi 5 then turn right when you see the to Toro sign. Place is on the left. No English sign.

Had the khua kling (herbal, stir-fried minced pork, B120) and the gaeng luang (yellow curry with fidh, B180) best ordered with fish.

Best gaeng luang I ever had even in South Thailand.

Then (don't judge) off to Gokfayuen to try lots of their "famous" Hong Kong offerings.

Soi 9 Thonglor.

First the beef brisket mein soup. I compare to San Francisco so I don't know from Hong Kong. I was not super wowed by the beef or the noodles but did very much enjoy the rich broth.

Then a plate of shrimp dumplings with dried roe. OK. I think they would have been better in broth which is of course available with noodles.

Then had a combo boiled chicken with ginger sauce and BBQ with a lovely semi sweet dip over rice. This dish was superb! Especially Chinese BBQ pork.

Prices fair.

Well it's goodbye and good riddance to congested Bangkok for the "paradise" shores of Pattaya.

At CHEF MAN of course!

Oh no. Not the Chef Man of impossible to get a table Chef Man Sathorn.

Instead at the impossible NOT to get a table Chef Man Express in the basement bowels of the (sic) Emquartier.

For the specialty deep fried crispy aromatic duck . 290 baht. Actually it was really really good and not greasy at all.

Then a taro cream bun also from the MAN. Well. Sort of.

Man oh man did I eat well in Bangkok.

Well it's goodbye and good riddance to congested Bangkok for the "paradise" shores of Pattaya.

At CHEF MAN of course!

Oh no. Not the Chef Man of impossible to get a table Chef Man Sathorn.

Instead at the impossible NOT to get a table Chef Man Express in the basement bowels of the (sic) Emquartier.

For the specialty deep fried crispy aromatic duck . 290 baht. Actually it was really really good and not greasy at all.

Then a taro cream bun also from the MAN. Well. Sort of.

Man oh man did I eat well in Bangkok.

Haha your tastes are more eclectic than mine but I'll give one or two of those places a try.

Glad you had a good time JT. :D

I did.

Eclectic may be the polite way to describe my tastes though.

I think the two suggestions about the Burmese place and the Sri Lankan place are the best examples of the kind of tips I was looking for when starting this thread. Also Dailan which I found myself.

I think I did really well with the choices I went with, with of course a few predictable big misses. As in the Nana lasagna.

I didn't get to a dedicated Sechuan place but there is a really good one now in Pattaya and surprisingly did Mexican only once.

Perhaps Bangkokians may want to keep this thread going as a place to add new places more or less in keeping with the "ethnic eclectic" theme? Including of course regional Thai food.

Hopefully I'll be back as well ...

Best Indian is Saras in sukhumvit 20, but it's all veg. Daily regional thali menu's and pretty good breads, chaat, curries, a few dosa but no dead beasts. Horribly inconsistent so give it 2 chances. Go when it's busy. The paneer makhani is nearly butter chicken, it's butter cheese.

Filipino, not really, but chicken egg balut exists in pratu nam. Crunchy chicks.

Not Viet Pho (Fur) but Khun Daeng Kuayjub Nguyen is in pra arthit rd, crazy mouth burns beware from thick glutinous broth. Also not Malay in pra arthit rd but Roti Mataba is pretty close.

Dim Sum try Tim Ho- something (?) in Terminal 21. Egg white and prawn spring roll pretty farken good.

Anyone know of a Pakistani restaurant in Bkk? I want haleem.

Archived