Facebook Friends?

matman

I first joined Facebook back in 2007 - back then it was the thing to do. However I rarely use facebook now, probably only for gleaning some information on my two children who due to my vindictive ex wife I have been estranged.

Those who use facebook know that on a regular basis names of other Facebook users are listed in ' people you may know', these are usually 'friends' of a person in your own friends list, but also names of other Facebook users generated at random, or are they?, given the millions (Billions) of Facebook users, wouldn't you consider it more than coincidental that some Facebook users suggested, appear to come straight from my Yahoo email address book or my list of Skype contacts, does Facebook have access to my Email/Skype contacts or has hacked into them and is using my contact lists without my consent.

The weirdest contact suggested was actually my estranged daughter whose Surname had been changed to my ex wifes maiden name.

Sometimes When composing an Email, and I insert the first letter of the intended recipients name, so I can 'auto insert' from my contact list, I find that many of the 'suggested' email address's, are not in my contact list and are not known to me.

Can anyone throw any light on how these occurrances are happening, and whether they should be, and if not who would one complain to as it would seem to me that an abuse of my privacy is taking place.

Sometimes When composing an Email, and I insert the first letter of the intended recipients name, so I can 'auto insert' from my contact list, I find that many of the 'suggested' email address's, are not in my contact list and are not known to me.

Can you be a little more specific on what your using for email?

Web Browser based google gMail, or is this on Facebook with messages.

Facebook, and Google+ use algorithms based on Six Degrees of Separation to identify friends you may have in common with others in your group.

Though this isn't usually presented when composing an actual EMAIL.

Facebook access information on your P.C. laptop or smartphone. It can track users telephone numbers or email addresses hence why you see these as people you may know. I have never liked faceache and do not hold a personal account based on security issues, although for a business is a fantastic marketing tool. Anyone you have emailed in the past or called with your smartphone if faceache is added will also be receiving you in their people they may know.More worrying is the acceptance of games downloads, the security issues of these is horrendous.

I have never signed up for Faeces Book, but I notice from my Linked-In account I am ofen asked if I know certain people and these names and email addresses could have only come from a web mail account of mine although whenever I am asked if I would like the spyware to sarch my email accounts for people who may be on Linked in, I am always very careful to refuse it the priviledge

I am sure the propsed names come from an old email account as many of them are not on Linked in and the email adress propsed are no longer in use for those people.

Soon I will be deleting my Linked in accout too

How much more specific do you need when my OP stated that it appeared some of the contacts came from my YAHOO Email address book

How much more specific do you need when my OP stated that it appeared some of the contacts came from my YAHOO Email address book

As your Yahoo Email can be accessed using a 'Program Client', 'lightweight app', or 'via web/html', each fetches and offers suggestions a bit differently. Since you threw Facebook into the mix, potentially asking why these 'mixed' contacts were all showing up as suggestions when composing Yahoo Email, It would be nice to know how you access Yahoo Email, and whether the suggestions are generated by the Email Program Client, The OS via your consolidated Contacts (OS specific), Yahoo's Servers, or some other magically invasive mixture.

It's possible YOU unknowingly gave these 'services' permanent access to your email contacts.

Suggest you access this for your FaceBook issue:

Why is "People you may know" suggesting work contacts unrelated to my FB?

FaceBook: Manage Invites and Imported Contacts

The people listed here are contacts you've uploaded to Facebook. If you have chosen to continuously upload your address book, you may have uploaded information about these contacts beyond just the emails or phone numbers shown below. You can view other data you've uploaded to Facebook by visiting our Help Center.

'Applications' on your device that are allowed to access/read your contacts may also interact with that database and write/update the records, sometimes disastrously so, overwriting data. Other apps may just scrap contact data (sometimes continuously) and write to a server-side database where they constantly match recorded phone numbers to make suggestions.
As another poster stated, a similar issue occurs with Linkedin. The User Agreement allows Linkedin to continuously 'mine' a users contacts so they can over aggressively promote its service by sending emails to users' contacts.

The main thing Facebook uses is the friends list in Facebook itself.

It looks at the list of your friends and if a match is found offers you one of their other friends.

THis means there is a strong probaility that one of the friends offered is known to you.

Archived