Thaksin Increases Confidence Of US Businessmen

Jai Dee

PM increases confidence of US businessmen

Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra has assured the United States businessmen and investors that the government of Thailand is capable of developing the economy to support their investments. He is convinced that everything will improve following the general election. The commercial sector in the US has praised the Prime Minister for his visions and the government’s economic policies.

This morning, Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra attended the US Chamber of Commerce and the US Asian Business Council discussion at Grand Hyatt Hotel, where many US businessmen from many different sectors such as insurance, construction, financial, automotive and communication sectors are currently accommodating. The meeting was held for participants to exchange investment and business views and ideas in Thailand.

They also discussed the foreign trade polices in Thailand. The US businessmen said they are worried about the Thai government’s FTA development. However, Prime Minister Thaksin has told them that both countries will benefit from the FTA and it will stimulate the trading between them. He said the FTA will be worked out concretely after the general election in Thailand is over. He said the Thai government will also create a better understanding with the general public no the benefits of this issue. Following the election, all the information of the Thai-US FTA will be revealed so people would truly understand the works of the Thai government.

The commercial sector in the US has praised the Prime Minister for his visions and the government’s economic policies. He said the policies are set in the right direction, and they can help restore the national economy in the short term.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 19 September 2006

"The commercial sector in the US has praised the Prime Minister for his visions and the government’s economic policies."

:o:D:D

Joke of the day!

It's not that funny, really. Thaksin is a cheerleader for globalization and selling off state enterprises. Foreign corporations must love him.

This press release is in all probobility close to the truth. It's no secret that foreign big business is quite fond of Thaksin. He has done a lot to open Thailand up to large foreign corporations, and has promised to do a lot more.

One thing that isn't mentioned in the article although i'm sure someone brought it up, was telling the supermarkets to hold back on building new stores. I should imagine this is very worrying to any large corporation considering any business moves into the Thai economy.

He can fool the Thai rural villagers by boosting his election image, but not foreign businessmen that knew his backside, as the present court cases between him and Mason are still under the radar of American businessmen. Furthermore, his political futures are still in tittle-tattle.

This press release is in all probobility close to the truth. It's no secret that foreign big business is quite fond of Thaksin. He has done a lot to open Thailand up to large foreign corporations, and has promised to do a lot more.

One thing that isn't mentioned in the article although i'm sure someone brought it up, was telling the supermarkets to hold back on building new stores. I should imagine this is very worrying to any large corporation considering any business moves into the Thai economy.

Hit the nail on top...

These 'supermarkets' (chains) are foreign multinationals.

Does anyone think these corporations/multinationals don't have their global bankers/lawyers/accountants to advice them...? :o

The CEO's of international global companies know each other and talk about Thailand..."should we invest or shouldn't we"... :D

LaoPo

Jeezus Christ! I can't believe how guillible my countrymen can be... that is, if this is all true. Keep in mind that the media is run by big money and the truth is not always their ultimate goal.

Facts:

1. We can't own land

2. We can't be the majority share holder

3. We have almost no rights here

4. Thaksin will do anything to save face and/or fill his pockets

I sure hope he doesn't get back in. Say, as he's done half of a term, could he actually get in for ANOTHER four years?? God I hope not.

If I know (good) businessmen I'd say they are among the most diplomatic sorts we have. After all, their money isn't theirs it belongs to shareholders in most cases. Do you think they're ready to insult him with reporters standing round while they still have money-making projects and huge investment already working for them? The econo-outlook studies are an investment in themselves. Whatever the business community has brewing we will be the last to know and The PM of Thailand will be next to the last.

If these Thai politicians had the ability of reason they wouldn't be in the mess they're in. Western business people know he's a dull one in the shed, they don't care, it's money they're after. The stupider The PM is the better. This is the new Banana Republic, it's like Christmas morning for them. The business sperm don't listen the Tox, they look at probabilities on spread sheets all day long. They don't hear a thing he says.

He wants to attract tourism then changes the laws to make it a chore for anyone who can't put 400K in his bank - so that he can invest it and earn a bundle for the time of your stay. He wants a better class of people and I can't blame him, I want a better looking and wealthier girl friend but it ain't going to happen. Rich people don't come to Thailand, they go to Paris, London, Rome, Rio, The Alps, etc. He doesn't need an airport, he doesn't need foreign investment, he needs an Army, a really big one .. he's at war.

Jeezus Christ! I can't believe how guillible my countrymen can be... that is, if this is all true. Keep in mind that the media is run by big money and the truth is not always their ultimate goal.

Facts:

1. We can't own land

2. We can't be the majority share holder

3. We have almost no rights here

4. Thaksin will do anything to save face and/or fill his pockets

I sure hope he doesn't get back in. Say, as he's done half of a term, could he actually get in for ANOTHER four years?? God I hope not.

Well perhaps there were just being polite as there were mikes open and cameras rolling. I suspect off camera a whole new set of words was being used so don’t worry too much. But yes, what he said does give his intentions away that he fully plans to be PM again.

THE NATION:Tue, September 19, 2006 : Last updated 20:10 pm (Thai local time)

Thaksin 'confused' over political future

Caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra said that he is "confused" about and still uncertain whether to accept another term as premier if his party wins upcoming parliamentary elections.

"I will be on the party list, I will be the chairman of the party, but I'm not sure whether I should accept the prime ministership or BECOME GOD ALMIGHTY," Financial Times quoted him as saying at a public forum in New York on Monday.

He was in New York this week to attend UN General Assembly meeting at the UN headquarters and to campaign for Deputy Prime Minister Surakiart Sathirathai to replace outgoing UN top boss Koffi Anadonut.

Asked about the confusion over his future, amid speculation over whether he would step aside after nearly a year of political chaos in Bangkok, Thaksin said that was "because I'm confused :D myself."

Financial Times quoted Thaksin as saying that he would make a decision, and publicly clarify his intentions before the national vote. "I will definitely have to announce before, probably on election registration day but then again maybe after or when I damwell feel like it!."

He also sought to reassure foreign investors that the country would quickly return to normal :o:D after the polls, now expected in the second half of November, with November 19 and 26 mooted as possible dates.

"The new government will be coming to work :D by right after New Year," he said. "So I think within three months things will be back to normal. So it's time to invest. Bring yer money suckers, we're open for busines, Thailand's for sale again.."

Speaking at an event on "The Future of Democracy of Asia," Thaksin lashed out at the anti-Thaksin movements who have campaigned against him as threats to Thai democracy.

"A free and fair democratic election process must not be compromised by those who do not like its outcomes," he said. "When the people have spoken through elections which are judged truly democratic, the people's will must carry the day, and not be compromised by demonstrations in the street. If this were to happen, what can we expect to happen to Asia's democratic future?"

He described the forces arrayed against him as "business leaders who are not successful in debt restructuring … drug dealers, illegal lottery operators, and … some media tycoons" whose interests had been hurt by his government, and said he did not want to capitulate to them.

They are trying to bring him down, Thaksin said, "If I were to step down amidst the process of elections, it means that I sacrifice the democracy for those protestors who lost their own interests," according to Financial Times.

Jeezus what medication is this man on these days? What utter <deleted>. He just doesn't understand that PAD wants him out because he almost singlehandedly has destroyed true democracy in Thailand. Look at his past 5 years. Everyone on this board knows what he's done.

Then just a few days ago he had the temerity to compare himself to Aung San Suu Kyi after he locked himself in his home for a day because he was scared some idiots may have been trying to blow him up in a Mr. Bean style plot with explosives placed in an old car.

Maybe The great leader should be placed under house arrest himself and left to rot for 15 years or more.

The man's a martyr in his own mind. :D

Edited by ratcatcher

"The commercial sector in the US has praised the Prime Minister for his visions and the government’s economic policies."

This sentence is written twice.

It is the last sentence of the first paragraph and also the first sentence of the last paragraph.

I guess they really want us to remember it.