A heads up on personal info and duty free receipts

smokie36

I bought some booze for a friend at duty free last week and handed it over to him with the bag still sealed and the receipt inside.

Well he pointed out to me that my passport number...full name and date of birth were on the receipt inside.

Shocking really so just advising you all to be careful when disposing of these.

Edited by smokie36

I think smokie means disposing of the bin, he trust his friend but throwing a bin with personal info away in the trash might be risky. Better to destroy it.

Well having the name and Passport number isn't something a bad guy could use for something.

I think smokie means disposing of the bin, he trust his friend but throwing a bin with personal info away in the trash might be risky. Better to destroy it.

Well having the name and Passport number isn't something a bad guy could use for something.

Not so sure.. a while back in a Dutch TV show a guy had a picture of him and his drivers license. It was taken of the internet by an other guy and he used it to scam people out of money.

Not so sure.. a while back in a Dutch TV show a guy had a picture of him and his drivers license. It was taken of the internet by an other guy and he used it to scam people out of money.

yes there might be some strange cases, but you show your passport a lot times, even to very shady people, like policemen.

I don't see much more danger in it than the normal danger we live in.

yes there might be some strange cases, but you show your passport a lot times, even to very shady people, like policemen.

I don't see much more danger in it than the normal danger we live in.

In itself you may be right. However identity fraud can be a big problem and it starts with bits of information that can then be used to get more information - if that person was so inclined. Thanks to the OP for the heads up thumbsup.gif

Why would you bring in duty free for someone you didn't trust with your personal information?

Sometimes I have to wonder....if you brought it in for yourself it might be prudent to destroy those receipts.

Having your name, passport number and date of birth on paper that goes in rubbish bins that are regularly rummaged through might not be the smartest idea.

That's the only message intended in my OP.

Why would you bring in duty free for someone you didn't trust with your personal information?

Sometimes I have to wonder....if you brought it in for yourself it might be prudent to destroy those receipts.

Having your name, passport number and date of birth on paper that goes in rubbish bins that are regularly rummaged through might not be the smartest idea.

My issue isn't identity theft so much. It's that the Duty Free shop has one more piece of digital information to sell to anyone willing to pay for it (or smart enough to hack in and steal it).

Imagine you get on the plane, and the entertainment system on the seat in front of you says, "Hello, Mr Smokie", then hits you with liquor or cigarette ads targeted to you specifically- from information they got from the Duty Free computer, the airline manifest, and with more information they gleaned from Google and all the other places that collect and sell information on us.

Then you get a nice letter from your health insurance company telling you your rates just went up because you bought 2 cartons of duty free fags and 2 liters of duty free booze, and that puts you into a higher risk group (even though the fags were for a friend).

And next time you apply for a job, there's a big red flag with your packs per day and alcohol consumption, and way too much cold medicine, foretelling a high rate of absenteeism.

Or imagine you get to your destination and find out someone else just passed through immigration in Kuwait an hour ago using a passport with your name and number on it.

TMI is attached to us by our credit card purchases alone. Even more info tied to us when we hand over our passports is TMI plus 2.

The only message i want from you is.....Where the bloody hell is my JD !!!biggrin.png