Thais will soon dial 911 as universal emergency number

webfact

Thais will soon dial 911 as the new and single national emergency number

7-7-2015-12-08-26-PM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Thailand will soon have the national emergency number 911 as a universal hotline number for the people in the whole nation to call when they need emergency assistance. It is the same emergency call number as the Americans when they need help from the police or fire department.

Government deputy spokesman Maj-Gen Sansern Kaewkamnerd said the 911 national emergency call number will come into force after a draft legislation stating the single emergency call number for the people to make call in case they need help was approved by the cabinet today, and passed into law.

He said having a single emergency call number could help to prevent confusion caused by the various existing emergency call numbers now in use.

But he said that the existing emergency numbers like 191 and 1669 will still be in use but call will be automatically redirected to 911 instead.

He also said under the bill approved, false call to the 911 emergency numbers will face legal action.

A committee chaired by Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha will oversee the operation of the 911 emergency calls. Other committee members comprise Royal Thai Police commissioner, minister of Information and Communications Technology, and chairman of the National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission.

The deputy spokesman said two emergency call numbers were proposed by the bill tabled before the cabinet approval. They are 911 emergency numbers used in the US and 112 emergency numbers used in Europe.

However the cabinet chose 911 as a universal emergency number for Thais as 112 might be confused with Article 112 of the Criminal Code which relates to defamation charge, he said.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/thais-will-soon-dial-911-as-the-new-and-single-national-emergency-numbers

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-07-15

If it happens and works this is a really smart move, they should have chosen 999 mind.

Now, will there be English speaking agents available, at least in the tourist hotspots (assuming it's not going to be a national call centre)?

What is the obsession with referencing the USA? Is it intended to provoke?

It is also the same number as Paraguay, Uruguay, Costa Rica and Canada. In 1959, the first 911 system in North America was set up in Winnipeg, Why not just say, the Canadian concept adopted by the USA?

It is also the same number as Paraguay, Uruguay, Costa Rica and Canada. In 1959, the first 911 system in North America was set up in Winnipeg, Why not just say, the Canadian concept adopted by the USA?

Actually emergency numbers have been sporadically used in small regions for a long time but the US along w/AT&T came up with 911. In your reference to Winnipeg, that number was 999 (first used in London in the 30s) but then they copied the 911 US number. The US designated 911 be the emergency number for the country in the late 60s through AT&T. Canada converted to the 911 Number after in the early 70s.

Thais will soon dial 911 as the new and single national emergency number, apparently it will be in Thai only no English speaking, and even if there will be English operators just refer to True Online or Thai Airways call center waiting time, averaging 10-20 minutes on hold.

If it happens and works this is a really smart move, they should have chosen 999 mind.

Now, will there be English speaking agents available, at least in the tourist hotspots (assuming it's not going to be a national call centre)

Should have chosen something more appropriate like 555

Now, will there be English speaking agents available, at least in the tourist hotspots (assuming it's not going to be a national call centre)?

911 is the best because of American TV, movies, and video games. Young Thais are already familiar with 911 being an emergency number because of that influence, so that is the easiest number for everyone to remember and will prevent confusion.

If the Thais setting up their 911 system would like it to work more efficiently, they will build a 911 center for each province and maybe more in the larger provinces. Local people working in the 911 centers will have a better idea of where the emergency is occurring and the nearest assets avialible to respond. It would also be advisable to have all 911 calls digitally recorded for follow up or to play again if the line is dropped during the call.

I did call the 191 before as I witness a guy in the middle of the who fell off from a bike, if you can't describe the location or road where you are at, they are not much of an help. Does not look like they can trace calls like in western countries.

I called but wasn't able to explain exactly which part of the road I'm at, my call got transferred twice. Then they put me on hold for 3 minutes (which felt like a long time when you are making an emergency call) I presume they were speaking with other callers who are reporting the same incident and they came back said ok and just hung up. No mention of saying help is on the way or we got the location. But I stayed and watch other motorist stopping and emergency crew arrive.

Don't put the number on police cars.

The local car thieves will think they are Porches.

That reminds me I need to paint my porch rolleyes.gif

Blame that one on the TV spellcheck function. For some reason it doesn't recognize the car brand in plural form.

I spelled it Porsches to begin with & got the red line so I just changed it, as the red line is usually correct more often than I am.

Before you get too excited, will it have the same people / clowns answering the phones

Or should I say NOT answering.

Also will there be anyone with more English than just Hello whistling.gif

Of course not.

They will say "Haalooo???? Khun Yoo nai?"

...and you will ask yourself the same question.

I'm at 99/550 Moo 10 Khaotalo Eackmongkol 4 Soi 17 Nongprue Banglamung Chonburi 20150

Whew!

In the USA I can just say 210 Johnson Street 30445.

Good to see a Canadian standing up for Canada. They so seldom do.

No doubt there might be certain people, or perhaps government officials, that may well feel happier 'dialling' 666. cheesy.gif

Seriously though, it's a very good move to have a well known & memorable number for the emergency services. smile.png

I just took note of the main picture.....11 microphones, 3 bodyguards, some dude in a silk shirt, a sign language caption (how do deaf people call 911?), and a couple guys in the background texting their mia noi's all for this momentous announcement.

• On the other hand the 112 not chosen is also used in 81 countries so definitely not only in Europe.

Archived