Thais will soon dial 911 as universal emergency number

webfact

Sometimes certain people need instructions even for the most basic day to day functions .An American blonde was asked by the NY police why she didn't call them on nine eleven when her car broke down and caused an obstruction on the highway . She answered " I did try to call you and I dialled the 9 but couldn't find the 11 laugh.png

Before you get too excited, will it have the same people / clowns answering the phones

Or should I say NOT answering.

Also will there be anyone with more English than just Hello whistling.gif

Of course not.

They will say "Haalooo???? Khun Yoo nai?"

...and you will ask yourself the same question.

I'm at 99/550 Moo 10 Khaotalo Eackmongkol 4 Soi 17 Nongprue Banglamung Chonburi 20150

Whew!

In the USA I can just say 210 Johnson Street 30445.

Perhaps it would be easier if you went to the States to make your emergency call?

This sounds like a good idea.

Would also be a good idea if the Government could sort out the street numbering system, because when you make an emergency call the first question the caller gets is "Where are you calling from and it is pointless saying 5/5 Moo7 Bangkok (or any such address) You must explain it something like between the PTT station and the 7 eleven on Soi......

Before you get too excited, will it have the same people / clowns answering the phones

Or should I say NOT answering.

Also will there be anyone with more English than just Hello whistling.gif

Of course not.

They will say "Haalooo???? Khun Yoo nai?"

...and you will ask yourself the same question.

I'm at 99/550 Moo 10 Khaotalo Eackmongkol 4 Soi 17 Nongprue Banglamung Chonburi 20150

Whew!

In the USA I can just say 210 Johnson Street 30445.

I suspect they will use 911 in conjunction with GPS so will already know your location. I don't think they will need to go to those lengths but lets see

New Technology is there for this

112 Emergency Number Dropped to Avoid Confusion with Lese Majeste
By Khaosod English

14369495721436949667l.jpg
A sign hung by activists calling for abolition of Section 112 at the Criminal Court in Bangkok, 12 February 2012 [Matichon]

BANGKOK — Thailand's military government has chosen 911 as the country's new emergency service number, instead of the alternative 112, which was dropped because of its connection to the draconian law that outlaws criticism of the Thai monarchy.

Maj.Gen. Sansern Kaewkamnerd, a government spokesperson, said the new number will cover all emergency services. Currently, Thailand has separate hotlines for different authorities - 191 for police, 199 for firefighters, and 1155 for tourist police, etc.

According to Maj.Gen. Sansern, the government was considering either 911 or 112 for the new telephone number, but ultimately rejected the latter because of its association with the Kindgom’s lese majeste law, which falls under Section 112 of the Thai Criminal Codes.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1436949572

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2015-07-15

This sounds like a good idea.

Would also be a good idea if the Government could sort out the street numbering system, because when you make an emergency call the first question the caller gets is "Where are you calling from and it is pointless saying 5/5 Moo7 Bangkok (or any such address) You must explain it something like between the PTT station and the 7 eleven on Soi......

The national number for powercuts are able to find us very easily when wife states where we are.

Here's what's available elsewhere:

999 (emergency telephone number) - Wikipedia, the free ...

What is the obsession with referencing the USA? Is it intended to provoke?

It is also the same number as Paraguay, Uruguay, Costa Rica and Canada. In 1959, the first 911 system in North America was set up in Winnipeg, Why not just say, the Canadian concept adopted by the USA?

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2014/07/911-become-emergency-call-number-united-states/

191 still active as legislative process is needed to change the Police emergency line to 911

BANGKOK, 15 July 2015 (NNT) - People across Thailand can still call the existing police emergency number 191 when they need help pending a change to the universal hotline 911 which is under a preparatory process, according to National Police Chief Pol Gen Somyot Pumpanmuang.

On Tuesday, the cabinet approved 911 as Thailand’s universal emergency call. It is expected to come into force after an amendment to the National Emergency Call Act.

Gen Somyot underlined that the change to the number was not initiated by police, but it was the government’s wish that there should be only one universal number for all people to report emergency cases.

Responding to a question on media criticism over his apparent delight expressed upon Japan's release of former Bangkok police chief Kamronwit Thoopkrachang, Gen Somyot insisted his expression was made as a fellow Thai national. He blamed some media outlets for such a criticism and said that they were biased against him.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-07-15 footer_n.gif

Archived