Do business visa holders get asked to show their work permit by IOs?

Saw this post by UJ in an old thread, was wondering if it's still the case, and how common it is to be asked for a WP at borders etc.

I'm not interested in getting a dodgy one to live here without a WP, was having a debate with someone who was saying it's a preferable option to tourist visas.

There have been other reports of people holding a multiple entry non-b visa being asked for a work permit. Most have been able to enter after giving a good explanation on what they are doing here.

A non-b visa issued for business purposes is for frequent business travelers it is not meant to be used for living here.

Thanks for any input

whistling.gif It is also possible, but rare, that immigration and/or Labor officials may on occasion visit work locations and (usually politely) ask foreign workers to show their Work Permit to them....which is why you should always carry it on your person when working.

I travel in and out of Thailand almost weekly and have never been asked to show my WP in ten years at BKK and DMK.

I guess they have the right to ask, but it has never happened to me.

Been here 4 years and never been asked. Even when my passport expired and I left and entered the Kingdom on a new passport. The WP states that it must be kept with you OR at your place of employment so that is why they could not demand it from you at the border. Your response can and should always be that it is at your place or employment. Immigration will work from your visa first and your justification for the visa second. Don't worry the keyboard warriors who tell you otherwise. They are just that. In 4 years I have never been asked to show it and simply leave it at work as it states on the permit. 'Nuff said.

• Like 1

There is no rule that states your work permit has to stay at your place of work. Their is also certainly not one that says you cannot take it out of the country.

The only rule is that you have to have it with you at your place of work when you a working.

There are people that have more than one place of work shown on their work permit which means that they need to have it with them when the go to that place to work.

• Like 1

I have been asked 3 times in the past 8 years. Twice at land borders, once at Swampy. Luckily I had it with me in all 3 cases.

Possibly you were re-entering while on an extension of stay? Because if one has and actual non-imm 'B' visa, may not have and not need a work permit at all.

Nope. Always multiple entry non-imm B. I don't qualify for an extension of stay so have never had one.

I see. Then in case the person doesn't have a work permit the proper and correct answer when asked would be "I don't work In Thailand. I do business which is not work".

Many people with work permits have no choice but a multiple entry non-b visa because their job and or employer cannot meet the requirements for an extension under clause 2.1 of the police order. It can be salary, number of Thai employees and etc that don't meet the requirements.

The distinction of visa versus extension is important here.

A person who is entering the country for purposes related to business with a Non-B visa will not necessarily have a work permit. For example, I might be someone who is entering Thailand with the purpose of locating products to export, or to find a business partner for my business in another country, or to investigate the possibility of a job or establishing a business in Thailand. I will have an active Non-B visa in my passport that allows my entry into Thailand. No work permit required, and one should not be requested at the border. The visa is valid and all you need.

However, those of us who are here with a work permit, such as myself, usually no longer have a valid Non-B visa. That has typically already expired. We are here on an Extension of Stay that is permitted because we have a work permit. In such a case, our passport does not contain an active visa. In this case, our passport is stamped with the extension. Now, immigration should be perfectly content with the extension stamp. I can see where they may insist that an extension of stay based on a work permit would require showing the work permit, but it does seem a bit unreasonable. I would never carry my work permit out of the country for fear of losing it, and I have no need for it outside of Thailand.