Thaksin Overthrown In Army Coup

george

Thai army declares Weds holiday, markets closed

BANGKOK (Reuters) - The Thai armed forces declared Wednesday a government, bank and market holiday a day after a coup to oust Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, a coup spokesman said in a televised address.

The president of Thailand's stock market said earlier it would open as usual, but the coup spokesman said the holiday was called to help maintain calm in the southeast Asian nation.

-- thestar.com.my

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting that there is so much goodwill for an sacked military strongmen with utterly disregard for democracy. Sonti did not receieved one vote, I would say. Let's hope that these so called reformist, and loyalists will eventually be brought to justice. it is a crime against the people of thailand overthrowing an democartically elected government. the fact that they act weeks before an election show their rel ill intentions

Hate to disagree with you old boy but I think it was Patrick Henry who said "The Tree of Liberty Should be refreshed with the blood of tyrants from time to time". Shinawatra is/was a tyrant. He will probably escape alive. just my 2 cents.

There hasn't been any violence yet right? Does the Military Rule mean that people, Thai citizens themselves, can not leave the country? I have in-lwas in Bangkok that we have not yet heard from.

does anyone knows if the phones are working again??

been trying to phone the familly there

US calls for peaceful solution

WASHINGTON: The United States called on the people of Thailand Tuesday to resolve their political differences peacefully, the State Department said.

A spokesman, Kenneth Bailes, said the department had seen reports of military movements and the declaration of a state of emergency by the prime minister.

"We are monitoring developments but the situation at the moment is unclear,'' he said.

"We look to the Thai people to resolve their political differences in a peaceful manner and in accord with the principles of democracy and the rule of law,'' Bailes said. – AP

Thaksin forces the military to act

Former Prime Minister Chuan Leekpai told Associated Press that Thaksin had forced the military to act.

"As politicians, we do not support any kind of coup, but during the past five years, the government of Thaksin created several conditions that forced the military to stage the coup. Thaksin has caused the crisis in the country," he told The AP.

Interesting that there is so much goodwill for an sacked military strongmen with utterly disregard for democracy. Sonti did not receieved one vote, I would say. Let's hope that these so called reformist, and loyalists will eventually be brought to justice. it is a crime against the people of thailand overthrowing an democartically elected government. the fact that they act weeks before an election show their rel ill intentions

You are absolutely right, despite all of the discontent surrounding the Thaksin Administration, what you now have is a military coup, junta, or whatever else you want to label it, and these ends cannot stand in a country that claims to live in a democracy which follows the rule of law. So what you now have is another Myanmar, not something to celebrate.

We should all remember the adage, "be careful what you wish for" and let's just hope that, in the end, it will all turn out well. But any country which can be taken over by their military is hardly a good thing no matter how incompetent Thaksin may have been.

Good luck to all of you living in Thailand.

The problem for defenders of democracy is that Thaksin got into power by perverting democracy. The guys base is the rural areas where votes are routinely bought. Without his millions, he never would have become PM. Sure all the parties do this, but at least this practice is relatively less important in the cities. And in the cities, Thaksin is not popular.

There is a bittersweeet sense of victory and relief among Thaksin's detractor's tonight. Not exactly what they had in mind, but they'll take what they can get.

Now let's hope that the traditional elites find the right people to sort this mess out. They did a decent job of it in 1992 after Suchinda was given the boot.

You are absolutely right, despite all of the discontent surrounding the Thaksin Administration, what you now have is a military coup, junta, or whatever else you want to label it, and these ends cannot stand in a country that claims to live in a democracy which follows the rule of law. So what you now have is another Myanmar, not something to celebrate.

We should all remember the adage, "be careful what you wish for" and let's just hope that, in the end, it will all turn out well. But any country which can be taken over by their military is hardly a good thing no matter how incompetent Thaksin may have been.

Good luck to all of you living in Thailand.

hi...pjalittle...

hold onto your horses matie...

its hardly myanmar....

aleady looking for the tallest tree to hang yourself from....

let this thing unfold....

amarka :o

[Let's hope that these so called reformist, and loyalists will eventually be brought to justice. it is a crime against the people of thailand overthrowing an democartically elected government. the fact that they act weeks before an election show their rel ill intentions

You are absolutely right, despite all of the discontent surrounding the Thaksin Administration, what you now have is a military coup, junta, or whatever else you want to label it, and these ends cannot stand in a country that claims to live in a democracy which follows the rule of law.

any country which can be taken over by their military is hardly a good thing no matter how incompetent Thaksin may have been.

totally agree with you on above sentiment. sure things will be relatively peaceful, and ok even if the army did relinquish power in a short while...appoint someone else as Prime minister or whatever they will call it..but the big question is....where does that leave us in terms of democratic process.

and no i dont believe u can simply tear up the constitution when it suddenly doesnt suit the interest of some small group anymore. whatever happened to the sentiment and hype of the 1997 constitution being the first true people constitution?!

true theres always room for improvement and changes, but hence why these mechanisms are built into the constitution...a process for true democractic reform, not one brought about by force by those who have better weapons and control.

those of you that are saying this coup is right, again bring me back to question of double standard. normally people from the west, especially americans will be all high and mighty about insisting on democratic process. but now suddenly, citing corruption (which any politician in power practice anyway! atleast in thailand!) is good enough reason to throw away all our values and belief in democracy?

Just in:

Thaksin cancels UN speech

He was supposed to have his General Debate speech originally tomorrow ( New York City Time ), but earlier today they had switched it to this evening , right after Prime Minister of Italy Romano Prodi's speech around 7:00 pm.

Retired Lieutenant-General Prapart Sakuntanak said the seizure would be temporary and power "returned to the people" soon.

*That's* what I'm talkin' about!

Thanks George / OP

Your pic shows tuk-tuks astride the tank. I thought they were with the taxi meters in supporting boxhead?

There hasn't been any violence yet right? Does the Military Rule mean that people, Thai citizens themselves, can not leave the country? I have in-lwas in Bangkok that we have not yet heard from.

does anyone knows if the phones are working again??

been trying to phone the familly there

Phoned KW in Sam Prat earlier on tonight VOIP and No Problem..both L/lL and Mobi :o

Democracy ? Thailand? oh please! What on earth is democratic about buying your way in to power ??

As far as the constitution is concerned it's a technicality enabling the coup, nothing more.

Remember TIT and should not be compared to western countries or ideals.

I just hope that it goes through with no violence.

Thai PM 'overthrown in army coup'

Coup: Thai cabinet is sacked

Thai Constitution is revoked by military

Military in control of Bangkok

[bANGKOK: -- A faction of the Thai military led by the army chief says it has overthrown Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra

"We ask for the co-operation of the public and ask your pardon for the inconvenience," the announcement said.

Gotta love those Thai's, polite to a Tee. :o

Er, excuse us while we overthrow the government... please take care while we clean out the PM's office. Slippery when wet. :D

Good job guys! About d a m n time! "Ding dong the witch is dead!" Way to go. Just make it short and sweet so we can get back to enjoying what should be a relaxing and beautifully peaceful country. :D

Bangkok Airport: This just in, overheard at the counter:

Oh, so sorry Mr. Toxin, I'm affraid your visa has been denied as an "undesirable person"... however in 1900 days you will be entitled to a 3 day "former-tyrant" visa. Oh, and, you'll just have a pay a nominal fee of 73 Billion Baht. In the meantime, feel free to sign this affidavit and you're entitled to a free, first-class trip back to America -- ah, yes, just sign there, below where it says "Jon Benet"...

The other side of this would assert that a corrupt authoritarian government is to be removed by force if other constitutional mechanisms have been thwarted by that government.

Consent to be governed should be witheld from a runaway governemnt, and that includes a military acting on behalf of the people and the King. If it is a 1991 repeat then there will likely be floods of Thais in the streets again to reclaim their democracy.

If the military is acting on behalf of a strongman, then the world will act against this. Toxin is surely rallying for this result while at the UN.

Edited by ding

The other side of this would assert that a corrupt authoritarian government is to be removed by force if other constitutional mechanisms have been thwarted by that government.

Consent to be governed should be witheld from a runaway governemnt, and that includes a military acting on behalf of the people and the King. If it is a 1991 repeat then there will likely be floods of Thais in the streets again to reclaim their democracy.

If the military is acting on behalf of a strongman, then the world will act against this. Toxin is surely rallying for this result while at the UN.

Where was the mandate from the people??Do you think that this coup would have happened if Taksin had not fired Gen. Sondhi ?

It totally amazes me and prooves one thing that thailand is not a democracy or this wouldnt take place I hope that no inocents get hurt in this coup and that the people of thailand can select their Pm in the right way by election and not by a Military coup

those of you that are saying this coup is right, again bring me back to question of double standard. normally people from the west, especially americans will be all high and mighty about insisting on democratic process. but now suddenly, citing corruption (which any politician in power practice anyway! atleast in thailand!) is good enough reason to throw away all our values and belief in democracy?

Never forget that the law has 2 powerfull components :

-text

-and its spirit

In Thailand, we had only the first.

I mean : all dictators use the word "democracy", "people", "sovereignty", "electoral process", "rigths" etc. They are democrats, and friends of liberty, on the paper.

In Thailand, the Constitution gave birth to some powerfull institutions... perfect on paper, but all perverted by Thaksin : Electoral Commission, National Counter Corruption Commission etc.

So, at one time, you have to make a choice, with your conscience, and take proper actions.

I say "hurrah" to the Coup.

Of course now, we need to watch carefully what they are going to do.

This country is no stranger to this stuff. In '91 it was more of a surprise but somewhat similar. After a few days the overthrow action itself was unaccepted by the general public and the Army guys were tossed. My guess it will be close to the same this time. Big wake up call for the vote buying camps though. What I'm getting here in Phuket is a 'ching ching law?'... a sigh of relief, then total ambivalence. Both sides had better get their kneepads ready, the King will be expecting them.

'Old and in the way' in Phuket

smokes... wow.. actual news for a change. thanks for this george.

I hang on watching...

btw, just came across this from the bbc.co.uk newsite (top story)

post-12676-1158702305_thumb.jpg

and I zoomed in a little...

post-12676-1158702443_thumb.jpg

Just wondering what nation their gear came from? :o:D

Edited by kayo

I think this wouldn't do any good to tourism , or do i see it wrong ??? I'm guessing but if they are not carefull now and sort this very very quickly Thai economy could end up in a big mess . This together with stricter visa laws , and tightening the foreing companies with houses .... well i see a recipy for disaster coming ....

Where was the mandate from the people??Do you think that this coup would have happened if Taksin had not fired Gen. Sondhi ?

Mandate was on the streets and veiled by a corrupted election.

In '91 it was more of a surprise but somewhat similar. After a few days the overthrow action itself was unaccepted by the general public and the Army guys were tossed.

That's a massive telescoping of events. Matters turned nasty when the coup leader, General Suchinda, tried to become prime minister after the election that followed the coup. The prime minister he had installed, Anand, was highly respected, and seems to have been universally accepted as prime minister again pending fresh elections after the ones following the coup.

blam wrote:

Let's see if Thaksin gets down on his knees and apologises to the King for creating such a mess.

If he even comes back.

He may not pass 'GO' and fly directly to S'pore where his billions are stashed.

Which if the baht drops out, he could buy rather a lot of baht with....

having said that, I just checked www.xe.com and it`s gone UP ten cents... :o:D

Finally he comes to end, but after 30 years in Thailand, I will bet my life that he will be replaced by another rat. All politicians in Thailand are greedy and corrupted in the land of fake smiles. Well, that’s life in a country build up with drugs and prostitution by corrupted politicians.

Many Cabinet members and other people deemed hostile by the "Council of Administrative Reform" have been detained.

{http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2006/09/20/headlines/headlines_30014082.php}

<<<THEN THIS>>>

Caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra Tuesday asked his ministers to refrain from making foreign trips but stand by in the country.

{http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2006/09/20/index.php}