Thaksin Overthrown In Army Coup

george

Ahh... sorry, so this is all normal then. I guess the tanks were just for reassurance. I see it all now; how silly of me. Of course, many would like to have got all the info from the TV but they all seemed to develop some kind of fault at the crucial moment. Believe me when I say, that from now on I will believe everything that comes out of the Generals' mouths. After all TIT! :D

Maybe you have been in South America too long Kayo :D

Yep, that I have... :D:D

I`m leaving in ten days though! :o:D

yeah, You are right.

To an extent.

What i can state more clearly now is this:

there has been no grab for power as such, as YET! And lord forbid there will be one.

this is not a situation that I feel should be compared to past instances, like those of the nineties.

I think it should be best observed for a little while, and see what happens.

In my post, I was avoiding stating what I felt, in that, I HOPE it is all being done for the right reasons. To Oust a Megalomaniac out of power.

Now, perhaps this is not so democratic as some other nations, but good god man, I wish the U.S, for example, would have done the same witht he baboon they have now, for example.

It would NOT diminish my respect for democracy one bit.

If it be for the right reasons.

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just heard that Gen Sondhi was appointed because being a muslim, he would be better able to deal with the unrest in the South... Now he's taken over the country... News from other parts (Australia, Singapore?) advises foreigners to stay indoors.

Did I hear someone say the Islamic radicals want to take over the world?

Pray for peace as this has great potential to become really ugly...

Kayo not to be flippant, but first thing I would do if I was throwing a coup would cut off all media and make sure the word is out that this action is with full support of the monarch - whether it was true or not - lends needed legitimacy. :D

Aye fair enough... I was just busy typing the following.

I`ve backed off you see...

Good Klown... Give the Klown a Bone!! :D:D

Ahh... sorry, so this is all normal then. I guess the tanks were just for reassurance. I see it all now; how silly of me. Of course, many would like to have got all the info from the TV but they all seemed to develop some kind of fault at the crucial moment. Believe me when I say, that from now on I will believe everything that comes out of the Generals' mouths. After all TIT! :D

Maybe you have been in South America too long Kayo :D

Yep, that I have... :D:D

I`m leaving in ten days though! :o:D

yeah, You are right.

To an extent.

What i can state more clearly now is this:

there has been no grab for power as such, as YET! And lord forbid there will be one.

this is not a situation that I feel should be compared to past instances, like those of the nineties.

I think it should be best observed for a little while, and see what happens.

In my post, I was avoiding stating what I felt, in that, I HOPE it is all being done for the right reasons. To Oust a Megalomaniac out of power.

Now, perhaps this is not so democratic as some other nations, but good god man, I wish the U.S, for example, would have done the same witht he baboon they have now, for example.

It would NOT diminish my respect for democracy one bit.

If it be for the right reasons.

Edited by kayo

Believe me, I am not here to defend Taxin. But I do find it utterly amazing how many people seem to think that a military coup is a good idea. It takes a very long time for a country to establish credibility with the international community, and Thailand had made great strides over the past ten years in doing just that. Yes there are many problems, but to suggest that the a military take-over and a bunch of promises from generals is the best way to resolve the issue is horses**t.

I am not just saying this in comparison to western democracies. This looks bad stacked up against most Asian systems too.

I sincerely hope that democracy is restored as soon as possible. I just wonder what will happen when the next government does not meet the requirements in certain quarters. I am sure the generals will have a solution though!

They really say that, Brit? I think they prepared a nice cell for him - all his men were arrested or fleed the country.

Sudarat's left for France, Thammarak reportedly escaped, Supreme Commander (not the army chief) was arrested, Chidchai, Thaksin's First Deputy PM in charge of the country in his absense arrested, Channel 9 head Mingkwan arrested. Maybe there are more. Or, that Dusit, Samak's friend was also arrested.

Will see a major clean up in coming days.

That brings us to the most important question - what next. They can't let all those crooks from TRT to stand the election. They can't suspend Constitution indefinitely.

One thing I'm almost sure of - Suvarnabhumi will be delayed.

The Coup govt says Thaskin can return and participate in the upcoming elections. :D What if TRT wins again??? :o

That is bad news. Very bizarre. It will only start the acrimony all over again. I am predicting a protracted period of uncertainty however, so that would explain why.

The thing is TRT is popular. It should be allowed to continue, although Thaksin should be run out of town on a rail.

Believe me, I am not here to defend Taxin. But I do find it utterly amazing how many people seem to think that a military coup is a good idea. It takes a very long time for a country to establish credibility with the international community, and Thailand had made great strides over the past ten years in doing just that. Yes there are many problems, but to suggest that the a military take-over and a bunch of promises from generals is the best way to resolve the issue is horses**t.

I am not just saying this in comparison to western democracies. This looks bad stacked up against most Asian systems too.

I sincerely hope that democracy is restored as soon as possible. I just wonder what will happen when the next government does not meet the requirements in certain quarters. I am sure the generals will have a solution though!

It may look bad but it's necessary. Thaksin's autocracy revealed the weaknesses of the Thai constitution. It has to be done over.

I don't think much of world cares about interregnums like this. There is a commitment to democracy that isn't going away. THailand isnt' the Philippines under Marcos of Burma under SLORC.

Martial law has been imposed across Thailand

The Army Commander-in-Chief, Gen. Sonthi Boonyaratkalin (สนธิ บุญยรัตกลิน), the head of the Administrative Reform Committee under the Constitutional Monarchy, has imposed martial law across Thailand.

Gen. Sonthi cancelled the emergency situation in Bangkok declared earlier by former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

The committee seized power from the government yesterday.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 20 September 2006

Martial law has been imposed across Thailand

The Army Commander-in-Chief, Gen. Sonthi Boonyaratkalin (สนธิ บุญยรัตกลิน), the head of the Administrative Reform Committee under the Constitutional Monarchy, has imposed martial law across Thailand.

Gen. Sonthi cancelled the emergency situation in Bangkok declared earlier by former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

The committee seized power from the government yesterday.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 20 September 2006

I doubt if you will hear any statements from the palace in the next 48 hours.

BBC news is back on cable, reporting on the coup. BBC News online quote: "The soldiers posted around the city waved and smiled at people passing by, even posing with local people for photographs next to their tanks."

On bbc news the guy from human rights watch said that he would have been much happier if Taxin had been ousted by the PAD, by democratic means. Of course. Would be a lot better. But what if it had never happened?

The sentiment that Thailand should behave like a western country assumes that Thailand is like a western country and that's simply not true.

- Opposition parties

- Checks and balances

- Strong constitution

- Separaction of judiciary and executive

None of that exists in LOS. Impeachment proceedings and major corruption lawsuits would be underway if Thailand was western.

Anyway, I am holding off on any further judgement until the King makes an announcement.

We live in interesting times.

Third announcement of the Administrative Reform Committee under the Constitutional Monarchy

The Administrative Reform Committee under the Constitutional Monarchy revoked the 1997 constitution following a power seizure yesterday.

In its third announcement, the committee also terminated the Senate, the House of Representatives, the cabinet and the Constitutional Court. Privy councilors remain in office and continue doing their duties, it said.

All courts other than the Constitutional Court still have the power to work on legal proceedings, according to the announcement.

The Administrative Reform Committee under the Constitutional Monarchy cites social division and disunity as reasons for reform

The Administrative Reform Committee under the Constitutional Monarchy led by General Sonthi Bunyaratglin(สนธิ บุญยรัตกลิน) has declared its seizure of power from the caretaker government led by Pol. Lt-Col.Thaksin Shinawatra.

In its first official statement issued last night at 11.50 pm. and read through all television and radio stations, the Administrative Reform Committee under the Constitutional Monarchy, said it has the necessity to seize power from the caretaker government as the latter's national administration had created serious conflicts, rifts and disunity in the Thai society in a way that had never happened before in the Thai history. Conflicting parties wanted only to defeat the other side and used different tactics which seemed to be increasingly violent days by days, in order to achieve their goal. Most people kept suspicious of the national administration by the caretaker government which showed widespread corruption. The statement said official units and independent organizations had been dominated by political influence, which prevented them from following their objectives specified in the Constitution and led to many problems and obstacles in their political participation.

The Administrative Reform Committee under the Constitutional Monarchy stressed that the said influence was often in contempt of the monarchy which is highly respected by the Thai people. And despite continuous efforts by several sectors to establish social compromises, the conflicts continue.

The Administrative Reform Committee under the Constitutional Monarchy, which has as its members the commanders-in-chief of the three armed forces and the commissioner general of the Royal Thai Police, reiterated that it never had the intention to seize power for itself and will urgently return the power under the democratic system to the Thai people in order to bring back peace and national security, as well as to protect the beloved monarchy revered by all the Thai people.

Fourth announcement of the Administrative Reform Committee under the Constitutional Monarchy

The Army Commander-in-Chief, Gen. Sonthi Boonyaratkalin (สนธิ บุญยรัตกลิน), the head of the Administrative Reform Committee under the Constitutional Monarchy, now exercises the powers belonging to the Prime Minister as well as the Cabinet.

Gen. Sonthi has ordered those powers transferred to him, and Thailand does not have a prime minister for the time being.

He has ordered permanent-secretaries of all ministries to exercise the powers belonging to the ministers in doing their duties.

The Administrative Reform Committee prohibits manoeuvres by all military units

Manoeuvres by all military and police units are prohibited unless ordered by the Administrative Reform Committee under the Constitutional Monarchy.

In its second announcement after seizing power from the government yesterday, the committee ordered all military and police officers to report to their units.

The order was given by army commander-in-chief Gen. Sonthi Boonyaratglin (สนธิ บุญยรัตกลิน), who heads the Administrative Reform Committee.

The Administrative Reform Committee under the Constitutional Monarchy

The only burning question I would ask is, how can you have a constitutional monarchy when you have just scraped the constitution and the constitutional court?

A question every Thai should seriously ask themselves over the following days weeks, months or years.

Early analysis if I dare;

Based on news and other reports the coup is consistent with the military’s position in the news over the last 2 months. I think that democracy in Thailand became sick with the Thaksin infection, and now drastic measures are needed to save the host. As the constitution been suspended for the moment, I can see possible repeal of many of the Thaksin laws that allowed corruption to flourish hence reset to 2000. Until the King speaks I feel we should take what the military says at face value and go about business as normal as possible. It seems thus far to be in line with being a forced necessity to save the country and not a power grab.

The possibility of a counter coup remains real but with each passing hour the chances diminish of it being successful. A counter coup would certainly involve discharging of weapons in Bangkok. Because of that we should follow the advise of our own governments but keep an eye on the news. I suspect that the next 72 hours will be critical as to the direction of Thailand.

I think today is a good day to wear yellow.

From an email alert issued by The US Embassy in Bangkok:

Attention American Citizens:

A group calling itself the Committee for Democratic Reform under the Monarchy as Head of State has apparently seized control of the government institutions in Bangkok and declared martial law.

We have seen various reports that the military has deployed troops around key government facilities and other strategic locations around Bangkok.

There are no indications of any violence at this point.

We advise all American Citizens to continue to monitor the situation closely, avoid any large gatherings and exercise discretion when moving about the city.

At this point, we are not advising Americans to leave Thailand; however, Americans planning to travel to Thailand may wish to carefully consider their options before traveling until the situation becomes clearer.

The Embassy will continue to follow developments closely. If there is any important information regarding the security of US citizens the Embassy will post it on the U.S. Embassy Bangkok and Department of State websites.

Well done Jai Dee, see you got my point.

My UBC has been out all morning "No Signal" Me only or is this a result of the coup take over of some TV stations?

Mine is also out. I have two accounts (2 separate satellite dishes), and both are out. Perhaps the others have UBC via cable, but transmissions from Thai Com seem to be blocked (at least as it relates to UBC).

We should all remember the adage, "be careful what you wish for" and let's just hope that, in the end, it will all turn out well. But any country which can be taken over by their military is hardly a good thing no matter how incompetent Thaksin may have been.

"Incompetent"? Wrong word. Try "Greedy" and "Corrupt"

I just heard that Gen Sondhi was appointed because being a muslim, he would be better able to deal with the unrest in the South... Now he's taken over the country... News from other parts (Australia, Singapore?) advises foreigners to stay indoors.

Did I hear someone say the Islamic radicals want to take over the world?

Pray for peace as this has great potential to become really ugly...

Gen. Sondhi Boonyaratkalin is apparently close to the monarch and has apparently been appointed acting prime minister on a temporary basis and he happens to be a Muslim.

I don't see your dots connecting here... Islamic radicals?

Stay indoors...

post-22730-1158713449.jpg

How is it that "guests" in this country so easily forget that "the people" twice voted in the current Prime Minister?

Does the military in your country get involved in politics when they don't like the results of an election?

I say follow the money trail. Who has been bankrolling all the anti-government propoganda since the last election?

Can you spell a-l-c-o-h-o-l and t-o-b-a-c-c-o ?

Interesting that there is so much goodwill for an sacked military strongmen with utterly disregard for democracy. Sonti did not receieved one vote, I would say. Let's hope that these so called reformist, and loyalists will eventually be brought to justice. it is a crime against the people of thailand overthrowing an democartically elected government. the fact that they act weeks before an election show their rel ill intentions

Spot on - the ends don't justify the means - boot him out via the electoral process or do they fear democracy?

They fear a rigged election with Toxin paying for votes as he did last time.. if (note the if brit) this has royal backing there will be a fast election and it will be a lot fairer as there will no longer be one party buying votes either directly or indirectly.

I fear that this is not over yet, however I think you will see the extent of this goverments corruption on public display shortly.

Remember Sondi's words recently, the Army belongs to the king not to the goverment and I personally doubt this happened without anyone (u know who) being aware.

The corrupt ones are running, those who have nothing to fear will stay. I agree this is a big step but you have to stop comparing democracy here to that of the west, elections are bought plain and simple and that stiffles democracy, rural people vote with their wallets not with their mind for the most.

At least it has taken PCN and Pattaya People News of the air for a day..:o