Thaksin Overthrown In Army Coup

george

It's a pity they couldn't get rid of Thaksin through normal means. Democracy is suspended.

On the other hand, pretending to be a democracy when in fact it isn't, is not a clever move either.

Thailand is, and has been a "banana republic" all along, it's Thaksin himself who declared it the first world, first rate democracy. Generals are just being honest and realistic - it's better to behave according to your nature and level of development that pretend to be something you are not.

Overall, good move, but sad it was the only choice left.

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well done Jai Dee, see you got my point.

My UBC has been out all morning "No Signal" Me only or is this a result of the coup take over of some TV stations?

Mine is also out. I have two accounts (2 separate satellite dishes), and both are out. Perhaps the others have UBC via cable, but transmissions from Thai Com seem to be blocked (at least as it relates to UBC).

Well, I'm getting full coverage from the BBC on my PSI system so what are the coup leaders trying to achieve by only blocking a percentage of the media.

A less dramatic, and more probable, scenario would have HM the King speak with the leaders of the coup, have them lay down their arms, and allow the PM to regain control.

Yes that would be the appropriate action in a democracy, but it won't happen.

Thaksin could not be badgered out, defiantly could not be voted out, so it didn't leave a lot of choices. If you wanted the Government out you had to use force, rather than democracy.

I'm really sad for the Thai people, who didn't need more turmoil with all the divisiveness in the country over the last months. This action is a huge step backward for the democratic process in Thailand. Whether you like Thaksin or not he didn't take over power under the mask of darkness with Tanks, but by the ballot box.

"A counter coup would certainly involve discharging of weapons in Bangkok."

A less dramatic, and more probable, scenario would have HM the King speak with the leaders of the coup, have them lay down their arms, and allow the PM to regain control.

Very, very, unlikely this time. :o

Yes that would be the appropriate action in a democracy, but it won't happen.

Thaksin could not be badgered out, defiantly could not be voted out, so it didn't leave a lot of choices. If you wanted the Government out you had to use force, rather than democracy.

I'm really sad for the Thai people, who didn't need more turmoil with all the divisiveness in the country over the last months. This action is a huge step backward for the democratic process in Thailand. Whether you like Thaksin or not he didn't take over power under the mask of darkness with Tanks, but by the ballot box.

Yes , correct the ballot box that was pre bought by u no hoo.... are you the only one who was not aware in reality of the vote buying,,,,,, he who has the most money to buy votes wins. but we can't talk about that because it has been decreed that it does not exist.

I'm often asked why I live in Singapore and not in Thailand . . . my business is in Thailand, I have a house near Krabi, etc . . .

Because it is a banana republic, that's why. Let's hope that this will create a clean slate, as is planned, and a new and cleaner direction is set for the country.

Don't hold your breath.A new goverment is likely to be just as bad as the old one.......Let's hope it's not worse.

At least it has taken PCN and Pattaya People News of the air for a day..:o

Sadly, these 2 ridiculous channels never stopped broadcasting. Surreal to catch glimpses of tanks on the web while listening to Pattaya People News' cheery reports on City Hall's new fleet of motorcycles or Tony welcoming you to his world for the Nth time.

Yes , correct the ballot box that was pre bought by u no hoo.... are you the only one who was not aware in reality of the vote buying,,,,,,

All the parties buy votes and have for ever, possibly you were not aware of that, I've even made posts on TVisa about the buying process and how my Mother in Law got her new glasses buy playing the Democrats against the TRT. Vote buying is defiantly not the same as taking over the country at gunpoint, at least the voters that were paid had a choice to do as they pleased.

The Nation:
A spokesman announced on TV pool that Gen Sonthi Boonyaratglin, the head of the Administrative Reform Council will make a statement at 9 am.

All will be revealed at 9 am...

I wonder whether the new powers-that-be will restore the UBC signal so that the antenna-less amongst us may be privy to this great unveiling?

Well it's about time. Even the army and top brass have a limit to the bullshit they were going to take from someone like Thaksin.

Unfortunately it seems Thaksin has been given the green light to leave with his swag of ill-gotten loot which is very unfortunate.

I would have preferred to have seen a Mussolini style lynching with him and Pojaman hanging upside down in front of Parliament.

The good news is it will hopefully keep the hordes of Italians at home instead of invading Phuket this Christmas.

The normal programming hasn't resumed at 8.10 as promised but there are announcements of a 9AM public address every two minutes.

CNN and other news channels are still off UBC, HBO is on as usual.

All the parties buy votes and have for ever

That's why no one really cares about the election results if the country gets screwed, and Generals went right to the source.

I wish they could have managed to oust him "democratically", but as all parties by votes, democracy it's not on the menu, is it?

Opposition Senator Mechai Viravaidya welcomed Mr Thaksin's departure, despite doubts about the methods used.

"I'm delighted he's gone," he said. "It would have been great if he had resigned voluntarily, but apparently he was too stubborn. But at least it's better than an assassination."

The BBC

Interesting that there is so much goodwill for an sacked military strongmen with utterly disregard for democracy. Sonti did not receieved one vote, I would say. Let's hope that these so called reformist, and loyalists will eventually be brought to justice. it is a crime against the people of thailand overthrowing an democartically elected government. the fact that they act weeks before an election show their rel ill intentions

Interesting that a democratically elected government has spent the past few years being anything but democratic.Becoming the only real party in an election run is hardly democratic. TRT has forced the hands of some to take the only possible measures to avoid another corrupt landslide election.

It may be the best thing to have happened and IMHO if it's not a Thaksin ploy then I hope they freeze his assets and take back everything he has "stolen" through his dodgy dealings and business.

Som nam na

:o

My sentiments entirely.

He bought his way into power. The April 2006 elections were far from democratic. Anyone who believes they were lives in cuckoo land.

"som nam naa indeed"

:o "short history"

Coup as it unfolds

The Nation monitors the events that led to the coup as well as events after it as following:

Sept 19

8.00 am Thaksin Shinawatra calls an urgent teleconference with all armed forces' commanders at Government House, but none attends.

Gen Sonthi Boonyaratkarin, the army chief, later says the meeting is hastily called. Rumor then spread around the capital and the stock market that a coup de tat is under way.

12.00 am After finishing the webcamera teleconference with Thaksin, who is New York, several Cabinet members check with reporters if there would really be a coup.

6.30 pm The Army's special forces from Lopburi move into Bangkok. Gen Prem Tinnasulalonda, president of Privy Council, has an audience with HM the King, reportedly on a meritmaking ceremony for ML Bau Kittiyakala.

6.55 pm Thai News Agency reports that Thaksin will return to Bangkok on Thursday, instead of Friday.

8.00 pm 191 police receive M16 rifles to prepare for an antiriot assignment.

9.00 pm The Army'[s special forces from Lopburi arrive at the Army's Bangkok headquarters.

Web surfers post messages on Pantip.com asking if there is a coup de tat.

9.10 pm The armyowned TV Channel 5's mobile TV broadcast unit arrives at the Army's Bangkok headquarters.

9.30 pm TV channel 5 cancels regular programming and puts on air royallyauthored songs.

Reporters at Government House say situation is normal, but rumour was rife that deputy premier Pol Gen Chidchai Vanasatit and defence minister Gen Thammarak Isarangkun have been under custody.

Panthongthae, Thaksin's son, reportedly has left Thailand for the UK.

9.40 pm Police commandos arrive Baan Chansongra, Thaksin's residence.

10.00 pm Army tanks take position at Bangkok Makkawan Rangsan Bridge and Rajdamnern Avenue.

10.10 pm CNN reports Bangkok situation

10.20pm Thaksin declares a state of emergency via the phone from New York. He also issues two orders, transferring en Sondhi from the post of army chief to the PM's Office, and naming Gen Rungroj Mahasaranond as the officer in charge of the crisis.

11pm "The Administrative Reform Council" (ARC) issues a first statement on TV network, saying the armed forces and national police have peacefully seized control of Bangkok and surrounding areas. Soldier seize the Shinawatra Building, iTV television stationand Thaksin's residence.

11.15pm Soldiers put steel barricades at Sri Ayudha and Rajdamnoen Roads

11.50pm ARC issues the second statement explaining the reasons for the coup d'etat, citing national disunity and rampant corruption. ARC says it plans to return power quickly to the people

12.39am ARC issues third statement, nullifying the constitution, the caretaker Cabinet and the Constitutional Court.

8:00 am ARC spokesman announces Gen Sonthi will make announcement on TVs at 9 am. The spokesman also announces that TV stations can resume their normal programmes but most continue to relay signals from Channel 5 except iTV, which briefly airs its morning news programme.

8:50 am: Permanent officials and rectors of universities start arriving at the Army headquarters to report themselves to the ARC. Khunying Jaruvan Mainthaka, the auditor-general, flashes a thumb-up to reporters.

9:16 am Sonthi holds a press conference. The first part of his statement is similar to the first statement of the ARC. He says the ARC has to seize power to solve the country's problems caused by the Thaksin admnistration.

Sonthi appears on TV along with the police chief and commanders of other armed forces in the four-minute announcement.

After Sonthi finishes reading the statement, a spokeswoman announces that the TV pool is disbanded and TV stations resume normal programmes.

--

:D

Interesting that there is so much goodwill for an sacked military strongmen with utterly disregard for democracy. Sonti did not receieved one vote, I would say. Let's hope that these so called reformist, and loyalists will eventually be brought to justice. it is a crime against the people of thailand overthrowing an democartically elected government. the fact that they act weeks before an election show their rel ill intentions

Geeeez mate the writings on the wall, the people had enough of the corrupt, thieving pig............and he's oughta here with all his wealth....it's a peoples coup and about bloody time.........nice timing I must admit, just before he was about o address the UN.......big loss of face or what :o

***edited by sbk***