Coup News -- Chiang Mai

chanchao

Thought I'd start one topic to discuss current political matters as they relate to Chiang Mai.

Noticed remarkably few things out of the ordinary this morning. Regular working day. Phones work, regular flights going out, flights coming in, ATMs no problem & no queues, gas stations same price as yesterday, no queues.. As the baht is likely going down the drain (at least initially) I thought it a good idea to fill up the cars right now.

Noticed some military guys (no vehicles) near the intersection of the Hang Dong road and the Middle Ring. Not sure if that's common at many major intersections or that it's because it's close to the airport.

Cheers,

Chanchao

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I havne't seen anything new posted since about 9am. Have we been cut off?

Saw 2 tanks on the inner ring road near Nong Hoi this morning. And the Hang Dong Samoeng traffic lights were also being patrolled by soldiers with big guns.

Is this going to get really serious? Or is it just a 2-3 day thing? I still have internet here, but I'm wondering with there being no new posts on the forum if this post will even make it....

Cheers,

TT

I have just seen a few tanks on TV in Chiang Mai, and lots of Soldiers that just seem to be loitering around with guns.

We have to be aware that CM IS Taksin territory, and there may be a lot of people that are very unhappy about this situation.

Lets just hope things remain calm

thais (according to local news) seem to wonder why this was not done earlier. so much political uncertainty that perhaps this would end it all once and for all. there are tanks all over the city area (chiang mai). reason is to keep thing calm and not to allow for any gatherings that might provoke violence.

We have to be aware that CM IS Taksin territory, and there may be a lot of people that are very unhappy about this situation.

As soon as Thaksin started mentioning a certain "Influentual Figure" in a negative way, he lost most of his remaining support.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Just went along the river through Nong Hoi, onto Mahidol Rd towards Airport plaza where I did a u turn and returned the same way.

There's an apc with 2 soldiers with soft hats at the Nong Hoi/Mahidol junction. On Mahidol Rd I saw an apc with around 8 soldiers on top followed by 2 trucks of soldiers each with around 20 soldiers each. All had soft hats and no weapons visible. I followed the trucks back to Gawila Barracks. Something is happening at the barracks: there is a line of civilians waiting to enter the main building. There's also a channel 7 newscrew outside.

I saw armed soldiers on Mahidol Rd at the junction just before the bridge. Around 5 soldiers all with hard hats, battle kit and weapons.

Didn't see any tanks, only armoured personnel carriers (apc)

Edited by Loaded

Didn't see any tanks, only armoured personnel carriers (apc)

Hmm... maybe that's what I saw and I'm calling it by the wrong name. What's an apc, exactly? What I saw was rectangular, made of metal, and had a big gun sticking out the front of it. No doors, just a hatch on top to get in and out. Is that a tank or an apc?

As you can see, GI Joe was not high on my list of frequently watched cartoons as a child. :o

Cheers,

TT

anyone know if schools are expected to be open tomorrow?

Decided to go into work (Chiangmai University) to see what's up. First clue, barely any cars in the parking lot. :o Would say >90% didn't show up and no classes in session. No military prescence though. Guess I will go back home and see if UBC is back on the air.

Edited by tywais

I have just driven past the airport and the military are stopping cars at a checkpoint they have set up.... once they realised I was 'ferang' I was waived past with a smile. There are about 20 or more armed soldiers scattered around the front of the airport, which is suiting the security guards who are sat with their feet up reading newspapers and drinking coffee!

> does anyone have pictures to share on situation on chiang mai roads?

Well, I brought my camera on a trip to Tesco, past the airport and around town and the main issue is that everything looks so normal.

Got the cursory inspection going through the airport, but that was it. I honestly have yet to find one local person doing anything different from usual.

I drove mid-morning from San-Sai to Rincome & back.

At the intersection of the outer-ring-road, and the CM-Mae-Jo road, there were a dozen armed soldiers plus a jeep/Humvee with what looked like an anti-tank gun on the back, pointing up towards Mae-Jo.

No other sightings of soldiers or police anywhere along the way.

Traffic was lighter than normal, but business seems to be going-on, as usual. No worries.

Long Live His Majesty, the King. :o

post-22124-1158740702_thumb.jpgpost-22124-1158740534_thumb.jpgpost-22124-1158740891_thumb.jpg

> does anyone have pictures to share on situation on chiang mai roads?

Well, I brought my camera on a trip to Tesco, past the airport and around town and the main issue is that everything looks so normal.

Got the cursory inspection going through the airport, but that was it. I honestly have yet to find one local person doing anything different from usual.

Here are a couple taken this morn by the US Consulate, and the Tasehban across from Bears Den

Got a few photos from the northside of CM...

This was a place where I felt nervous this morning about 8am, close to my house. I found out about the Coup via the internet, when I first woke up, there was this 'Love the King' music playing on all the local Thai stations. I joked with my HK, "This is the same thing that hapened in 1991", meaning the last coup. Then, a guy came on tv and told the story, and it was 1991 all over again... I don't feel unsafe at all, so I shouldn't worry anymore than I did 15 years ago...

But, here they are guarding an intersection... I don't know why.

DSCF1278.JPG

Then I was passed by these APC's heading towards the Nai Amphur.

DSCF1288.jpg

Maybe for lunch..

DSCF1301.jpg

And this is on Mae Jo road, north of outer ring road intersection. These two guys were backed up by a very large Howitzer- pointed straight at our cars...

tanks1.jpg

So, it does look like it should.

I am building a new house in Green Valley golf Course, and one of my influential neighbours is our illustrious ex PM.

Soldiers at the gate today with M-16's taking ID cards and photps of all who enter. I did not bother to drive down past his house and minded my own business. In any case he is not at home so why all the bluster?

And to think I used to joke to my friends about the tanks getting their directions straight as they drove down my street during a coup!!