Coup News -- Chiang Mai

chanchao

Got a few photos from the northside of CM...

This was a place where I felt nervous this morning about 8am, close to my house. I found out about the Coup via the internet, when I first woke up, there was this 'Love the King' music playing on all the local Thai stations. I joked with my HK, "This is the same thing that hapened in 1991", meaning the last coup. Then, a guy came on tv and told the story, and it was 1991 all over again... I don't feel unsafe at all, so I shouldn't worry anymore than I did 15 years ago...

But, here they are guarding an intersection... I don't know why.

DSCF1278.JPG

Then I was passed by these APC's heading towards the Nai Amphur.

DSCF1288.jpg

Maybe for lunch..

DSCF1301.jpg

And this is on Mae Jo road, north of outer ring road intersection. These two guys were backed up by a very large Howitzer- pointed straight at our cars...

tanks1.jpg

So, it does look like it should.

how was your post edited?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know , for all of the photos I have seen posted here and in the news or TV regarding the equipment used by the Thai Army..... does anyone else feel as I do, that the army is in bad need of having their equipment update ?

Some of the stuff in the Bangkok photos looks to be left over from Korean War days.

Maybe some fender skirts, another antenna or two, some mirrors would help. . .......and definitely some flames by the tracks.......

Come on guys .... time to shine, we are the headlines of the world and they can see us..... :o

Here's a few of 'em.........................

1932: King Prajadhipok is overthrown in a coup d'etat. A military junta led by three educated radicals, Pridi Phanomyang, Major Phibun Sangkhram and Colonel Phahon Phonphaywhasena, takes control. Phrayo Manopakorn is appointed Prime Minister.

1933: Manopakorn dissolves the National Assembly and rules by decree, until he is removed in another coup. Phahon, one of the three involved in the 1932 coup, becomes Prime Minister.

1947: Military coup by General Phin Choonhavan deposes the government. Luang Aphai-Wongse is appointed Prime Minister, but is replaced by Phibun the following year.

1951: Phibun leads another military coup and restores the 1932 version of the constitution.

1957: Following a coup led by General Sarit Thanarat, politician Pote Sarasin is appointed leader of an interim government.

1976: An attempted military coup is defeated in February, but a successful coup in October overthrows Prime Minister Seni Pramoj. Admiral Sa-ngad Chaloryoo, previously minister of defence, is installed as chairman of a National Administrative Reform Council.

Oct 20, 1977: The government of Thanom Kravichien, appointed in 1976, is overthrown by a military coup, again led by Sa-ngad. A military Revolutionary Council takes power.

April 1, 1981: An attempted coup, led by General Sant Chipatima, deputy commander-in-chief of the Army, is suppressed by forces loyal to the government.

Sept 9, 1985: A coup is attempted by Colonel Manoon Roopkachorn; a number of senior officers are later arrested.

Feb 23, 1991: The government of General Chatichai is ousted in a bloodless military coup. Power is assumed by a National Peacekeeping Council, led by General Sunthorn Kongsompong.

Sept 19, 2006: The armed forces take power and dismiss Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra's caretaker government while Thaksin and several other ministers are overseas. The military revoke the constitution and promise a swift return to democracy after political reforms.

You know , for all of the photos I have seen posted here and in the news or TV regarding the equipment used by the Thai Army..... does anyone else feel as I do, that the army is in bad need of having their equipment update ?

Some of the stuff in the Bangkok photos looks to be left over from Korean War days.

Maybe some fender skirts, another antenna or two, some mirrors would help. . .......and definitely some flames by the tracks.......

Come on guys .... time to shine, we are the headlines of the world and they can see us..... :o

I saw a hwmmv today on the news with the wheels pretty shined up. I think the troops knew today would be a parade day. It reminded me of my old days in the army.

What A^^hole edited my post??

The new military government who did you think? :D:D

Coz you got the year wrong of the last coup which was in 1992 :D

The May Unrest in 1992 wasn't a coup. If I remember correctly, students and middle class Thais were trying to get rid of the Military Government from the coup in 1991 and General Suchinda and his boys did his best to discourage them. :o

Edited by Ulysses G.

I feel pretty sad about the current situation. Not sure if I feel disappointed at the suspension of democracy, or at the realization that Thailand never had it in the first place. I guess the main problem with the constitution was that it actually allowed poor up-country folk to decide who runs the place, or allegedly runs the place. One may not like their choice, but that's not the point is it..

I feel pretty sad about the current situation. Not sure if I feel disappointed at the suspension of democracy, or at the realization that Thailand never had it in the first place. I guess the main problem with the constitution was that it actually allowed poor up-country folk to decide who runs the place, or allegedly runs the place. One may not like their choice, but that's not the point is it..

The majority of "poor up country folk" votes were paid for. By who? Guess.

Personally, I feel no loss of 'democracy'... I think there is simply a new boss here. Over my time here, I have spent a lot of time thinking about the sytem here. In fact, I've been amazed at what happens here. What an interesting place!

The majority of "poor up country folk" votes were paid for. By who? Guess.

Blinky,

Its a pretty quiet coup but I dont think its "oh well news" I see no reason to panic and i am not worried about it at all, but is it not big news?

Ok so there have been 18 coups since 1932, personally I dont think that makes it a "here we go again" situation

TH is a developing country whose image is changing slowly and who econmically is missing out in comparison to its neighbours. The political crisis has caused enough instability and maybe get it dealt with once and for helps move it forward but the coup will cause more concerns in investment for long term growth in the country than Toxsin et al still being around

Between the years of 1932 - Mid 80s we have had world wars for the first part and in Asia the likes of Mao, Pol Pot and Ho Chi Mingh running around, Wars in Korea, and of course Vietnam. So lots if political turmoil/coups in TH does not surprise me

No need for any of us to jump on the next plane, just dont think its a casual event as the affect might be subtle but is another set back for TH in its standing within Asia

I'm not trying to have a bitch directed at you but I just think it may be a military coup on the streets without the chaos but it causes lots of other issues

any use of "" is not intended to reference any comments you have made before someone points that out me

Edited by Remo

Blinky,

Its a pretty quiet coup but I dont think its "oh well news" I see no reason to panic and i am not worried about it at all, but is it not big news?..............Who's panicking?

Ok so there have been 18 coups since 1932, personally I dont think that makes it a "here we go again" situation.............Why not?

TH is a developing country whose image is changing slowly and who econmically is missing out in comparison to its neighbours......... Where? Myanmar? Cambodia? Laos? 3 of the poorest nations in SE Asia.

The political crisis has caused enough instability and maybe get it dealt with once and for helps move it forward but the coup will cause more concerns in investment for long term growth in the country than Toxsin et al still being around................Can't agree with that. Previous coups didn't do much to hurt the economy. The news of the coup(s) might frighten off a few tourists.

Between the years of 1932 - Mid 80s we have had world wars for the first part and in Asia the likes of Mao, Pol Pot and Ho Chi Mingh running around, Wars in Korea, and of course Vietnam. So lots if political turmoil/coups in TH does not surprise me.............Yep.

No need for any of us to jump on the next plane, just dont think its a casual event as the affect might be subtle but is another set back for TH in its standing within Asia...........Sit back and enjoy the military on parade.

I'm not trying to have a bitch directed at you but I just think it may be a military coup on the streets without the chaos but it causes lots of other issues.............Good news on the telly?

any use of "" is not intended to reference any comments you have made before someone points that out me..................Now you have really confused me.

Wow.. Decided to venture out, only to find the bars completely normal. Party on as usual.. I'm posting this from Loh Kroh. Many guys didn't even know. Said to one tourist dude "well, you sure picked an interesting time to visit" and he thought i meant the rainy season.... :o oh well.. What's democracy anyway: Two wolves and a chicken voting on what's for dinner.

Its a pretty quiet coup but I dont think its "oh well news" I see no reason to panic and i am not worried about it at all, but is it not big news?..............Who's panicking? Didnt think that was your point was a general comment

Ok so there have been 18 coups since 1932, personally I dont think that makes it a "here we go again" situation.............Why not?

Please dont tell me the 3 you remember is because you have been in and out of the country at different periods and your starting from 1932, why not ? good point remind me if anyone asks me about this situation or anything else in life I will remember to start picking dates from pre WW2 and work my way up to the present day for the most correct answer

TH is a developing country whose image is changing slowly and who econmically is missing out in comparison to its neighbours......... Where? Myanmar? Cambodia? Laos? 3 of the poorest nations in SE Asia.

Your list of countries not mine, should probably have specifiied miles from border and made it clearer that some neighbours are crazy

The political crisis has caused enough instability and maybe get it dealt with once and for helps move it forward but the coup will cause more concerns in investment for long term growth in the country than Toxsin et al still being around................Can't agree with that. Previous coups didn't do much to hurt the economy. The news of the coup(s) might frighten off a few tourists.

Just my personal opinion but why invest in a country where political instability and coups happen (and yes the last one was 15 yrs ago)and go "its just the way it is they have happened before" - Might frighten off a few tourists, for the short term but I didnt mention tourists I said investment, I dont think TH is Iran but instabillity affects confidence which is linked to investment. is the economy of TH not in a slightly different position now than 15 yrs ago? but your right as a company it would be on my list of places to explore opportunities in the next 24 months, I wouldnt look at other countries in the region, the best way to describe the economy of TH 15 years ago is "you cant polish a turd"

Between the years of 1932 - Mid 80s we have had world wars for the first part and in Asia the likes of Mao, Pol Pot and Ho Chi Mingh running around, Wars in Korea, and of course Vietnam. So lots if political turmoil/coups in TH does not surprise me.............Yep.

No need for any of us to jump on the next plane, just dont think its a casual event as the affect might be subtle but is another set back for TH in its standing within Asia...........Sit back and enjoy the military on parade.

It definitely beats the drivel we pay for on UBC

I'm not trying to have a bitch directed at you but I just think it may be a military coup on the streets without the chaos but it causes lots of other issues.............Good news on the telly?

any use of "" is not intended to reference any comments you have made before someone points that out me..................Now you have really confused me.Confusion keeps life interesting

Edited by Remo

Just my personal opinion but why invest in a country where political instability and coups happen (and yes the last one was 15 yrs ago)and go "its just the way it is they have happened before" - Might frighten off a few tourists, for the short term but I didnt mention tourists I said investment, I dont think TH is Iran but instabillity affects confidence which is linked to investment. is the economy of TH not in a slightly different position now than 15 yrs ago? but your right as a company it would be on my list of places to explore opportunities in the next 24 months, I wouldnt look at other countries in the region, the best way to describe the economy of TH 15 years ago is "you cant polish a turd"

Mr. Remo, that seems to be a somewhat oximoronic statement to me.

I think that we all can agree that Thailand is and has been in the recent past , one of the economic stars in SE Asia... Maybe second only to Singapore.

There have been since 1932, 17 acknowledged coups. If a coup is so negative towards the economic growth of Thailand in the past 75 odd years , how did Thailand become so recognized economically in SEA?

Edited by meadish_sweetball

Its a pretty quiet coup but I dont think its "oh well news" I see no reason to panic and i am not worried about it at all, but is it not big news?..............Who's panicking? Didnt think that was your point was a general comment

Please dont tell me the 3 you remember is because you have been in and out of the country at different periods and your starting from 1932, why not ? good point remind me if anyone asks me about this situation or anything else in life I will remember to start picking dates from pre WW2 and work my way up to the present day for the most correct answer

Your list of countries not mine, should probably have specifiied miles from border and made it clearer that some neighbours are crazy

any use of "" is not intended to reference any comments you have made before someone points that out me..................Now you have really confused me.Confusion keeps life interesting

Reamo,

Seems that the Moderators (May Peace Be Upon Them) removed my recent post referring to my opinion of your latest post. I suggested that you be promoted to the top of the 80-90% group of farang living in CNX. If you are not sure what this group represents perhaps you should look back a little at some other topics. :o

Blinky R. Bill

Edited by Blinky Bill

Reamo,

Seems that the Moderators (May Peace Be Upon Them) removed my recent post referring to my opinion of your latest post. I suggested that you be promoted to the top of the 80-90% group of farang living in CNX. If you are not sure what this group represents perhaps you should look back a little at some other topics. :o

Blinky R. Bill

If i'm in the top 80-90% probably best if I dont find out what that group represents, as I am sure for this group, igorance is bliss

Edited by Remo

Reamo,

Blinky R. Bill

If i'm in the top 80-90% probably best if I dont find out what that group represents, as I am sure for this group, igorance is bliss

Remo as a new member, are you working at trying not to fit in ? I would think that most ignorant.

Remo as a new member, are you working at trying not to fit in ? I would think that most ignorant.

All I have done is voice my opinion on how I see the coup, I have not made any personal comments against anyone on this board or made any suggestions that because I have differing opinions to others on the news of the day that they must be a certain type of expat

This topic is an open debate and I am just adding what I think, is that not the point of a forum?, I dont see how my comments are seen as an attempt not to fit in

Edited by Remo

> This topic is an open debate and I am just adding what I think, is

> that not the point of a forum?, I dont see how my comments are

> seen as an attempt not to fit in

I completely agree... Can we all keep it respectful towards each other? Also how new somone is to the forum makes very little difference to the validity of the point they're making. (And you can of course disagree with that point)

Cheers,

Chanchao

guys, a lot of people making good money in the stock markets today. its not closed yet and some shares opened floor and now trading at ceilings. a military coup? didn't notice it.

And I'll bet that ex-pm Tacky and his cronies are making yet more millions on the present market.

Just read this, what do you all think? Thought curuption was strive during T's regime?

Just How Corrupt Was Thaksin?

Bangkok Pundit Blogger - Numerous allegations of corruption have often been made against the government of Thaksin Shinawatra, but are they really backed up with credible evidence? The Thaksin government is the not the first Thai government to face accusations of corruption. During the opposition led Chuan Leekpai government (1997-2001), there were also numerous allegations of corruption yet no coup was staged by the military. What should the threshold of corruption be before a coup is staged? How corrupt is Thailand under Thaksin after all?

The former is subjective and impossible to answer, but the latter can be answered by reference to international surveys on corruption. The World Bank and Transparency International are two respected international organizations who both publish yearly surveys on corruption.

Transparency International undertakes a yearly "Corruptions Perception Index" (CPI). The CPI gives a score out of 10 and the higher the CPI the less corrupt a country is perceived to be. For example, the latest CPI was released on 18 October 2005 and Iceland scored a 9.7 whereas Chad only scored 1.7. Since the Thaksin government first came to power on 6 January 2001, Thailand's CPI has gradually improved as indicated in the table below:

Year CPI

1999 3.2

2000 3.2

2001 3.2

2002 3.2

2003 3.3

2004 3.6

2005 3.8

The World Bank also publishes a survey on Governance Indicators and one of these indicators is Control of Corruption. The Governance Indicators use "276 variables drawn from 31 sources and 25 different organizations". A higher percentile rank indicates better governance ratings. As can be shown by the below table, control of corruption reduced during the term of the opposition Democrat Party, but has gradually improved during the Thaksin government. The Thaksin government has almost manage to restore the control of corruption to the level it was before the Democrat Party took power.

Year Percentile Rank

1998 52.0

2000 45.1

2002 46.6

2003 47.1

2004 48.0

2005 51.2

When the military staged a coup on September 19, one of their claims was the "country has been governed in a way as to suggest widespread corruption". One the leaders of the People's Alliance for Democracy, the group who staged a number of rallies against the Thaksin government earlier this year, has stated that the Thaksin "government is the most corrupt ever". An opinion piece in The Nation newspaper stated that "[m]assive corruption" was one of the "hallmarks of the Thaksin administration".

But while critics of the Thaksin government can claim corruption was a problem during Thaksin's 6 years in government, the evidence suggests the opposite. What do you all think?