Immigration Promenada One Stop Service

Tywais

Bit more info for you all.

Friend of mine was contacted by immigration to ask about his 90 day (expires next month). Call was from a mobile number not office line, which he thought a bit weird. They advised they would come to his house to talk about it.

3 people turn up (2 immigration officers and 1 other no uniform). They told him that he was advised to use the new visa agency next to the office (in Promeneda), and the non uniformed guy gave him a full brochure.

The english speaking officer said his name was Danny.

So now it look like immigration are going to ask people to use their agency only (Sorry Assist guy!).

Therefor I think we can conclude that the service and the waits (as shown above) are not going to go away unless you use a specific immigration controlled visa office.

A shame, as I had really hoped thinks were improving over here. Many will claim this is more proof of corruption and extortion , and it would be challenging to argue with them.

Sounds like a scam to me.

If immigration was doing it why would they send a non uniformed man to give the pitch? Two officers and their friend are on their own.

Was the two in uniform in real uniforms or look like ones?

• Replies 597
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IF TRUE that "Danny" and the visitors described above were actually Immigration Department personnel, the visit could be considered encouraging a profit-making enterprise in lieu of the Immigration Department's being adequately staffed, managed, and inefficient doing the job it is mandated by law to do. Secondhand stories are, of course, suspect. Such a course can only lead in nasty directions: somebody gets paid for what the Immigration Department should be doing as a government service.

Secondly, the presence of a private agency actually adjacent to the Promenada Immigration Office guaranteeing one-day "expedited" service for a fee raises some very serious questions about the conduct of the office and the department. And that is not to let the other agents off the hook, pleasant and efficient as they might be. They really only exist because the Immigration Department is not fulfilling its duty.

I disagree. They are doing their duty. Otherwise we would all have been out of here years ago.

I don't believe they are really concerned that much about how we do are part. Other than the fact is that if an agent does it the papers will be done right and there will be no hold up.

As for the pushing the use of the one service by immigration. I highly doubt it. Just a scam cooked up by private individuals using immigration as a cover.

They are well aware of the fact that the majority of us don't fool around with them when it comes to are yearly request for permission to stay. We may and do make it an ongoing travesty on Thai Visa but when we are sitting there with the officer at the immigration office we are a different person.wai.gif

Still think there is no agenda?

A trusted friend at immigration passed this on, doing his 90 days yesterday

"An Ausie said he mailed his 90 day in and they called him telling him he had to go into Immigration because the mail ib was only for people living outside of Chiang Mai.They gave him the form back in the same stamp addressed envelope he sent in but made him go into Immigration for it."

Cant blame you for not trusting. I would hazard we are going to see more and more like the below though. All with the "suggestion" we use the new visa company next to their office.

I doubted the veracity of your story, but now accept that it, and the couple of other things you have managed to say in the last week, are true.

I'm sorry. wai2.gif

And I suspect things are going to get pretty interesting for those of us who snagged themselves a front row seat, some sandwiches and a flask of tea.

It has the potential to be a pretty good, if not unmissable parade.

Cant blame you for not trusting. I would hazard we are going to see more and more like the below though. All with the "suggestion" we use the new visa company next to their office.

I doubted the veracity of your story, but now accept that it, and the couple of other things you have managed to say in the last week, are true.

I'm sorry. wai2.gif

And I suspect things are going to get pretty interesting for those of us who snagged themselves a front row seat, some sandwiches and a flask of tea.

Obviously we cant confirm the story, however I have had a few calls from clients stating they have been contacted by immigration, and they have requested to come to their house. For the people thinking this is not immigration maybe think about this...

1. Where did they get their details, eg phone number address etc

2. If you impersonate and officer its a criminal offence (so I highly doubt this to be agents dressing up)

3. Whether they are just doing their job and checking on people, think of the likely effect of having immigration police arrive at your house.

I told our clients the same as what a poster stated on another thread. Take their names and if possible a photo and record the number they called on.

3. Whether they are just doing their job and checking on people, think of the likely effect of having immigration police arrive at your house.

i find tour above quote of the likely effect of having the immgr police arriving at anyones house, completely bewildering!!!!!!

if the alien has his papers etc etc in legal order,what likely effect can happen??? may i ask

there are many aliens, including farungs moonlighting in c/mai,now adays,be nice to see these bums kicked out of the country for good

Still think there is no agenda?

A trusted friend at immigration passed this on, doing his 90 days yesterday

"An Ausie said he mailed his 90 day in and they called him telling him he had to go into Immigration because the mail ib was only for people living outside of Chiang Mai.They gave him the form back in the same stamp addressed envelope he sent in but made him go into Immigration for it."

If this starts happening on a regular basis - CM Immigration's refusing to allow the mail-in 90 day report - it's going to anger a lot of people.

@Konini, still think this is about "a few hundred baht"? 2,000 thb x 20,000 expats = 40 million baht for visa agency annual retirement extension processing fees

2,000 thb x 20,000 expats = 40 million baht for four visa agency 90 day report processing fees

I know what it's worth, in fact I think your figures may be a little conservative; there would appear to be big prizes up for grabs at this particular sideshow. I've been doing a bit of catching up with people and digging and have concluded that the reports of bandits in dem dar hills may not be so far off the mark. While I abhor any kind of corruption, we seem to have descended below the levels of decency into a Gordon Gekko type orgy.

I'm not the one saying it's only a few hundred baht, it's usually the people who are stuck in the non-moving line behind me spitting the words out. I have never and will never knowingly paid a bribe or any other illegal payment. I really have a serious thing about it, and was once stuck at Cambodian immigration at Poipet for several hours for the sake of 200 baht. Which I was never going to pay. I'd rather have the inconvenience (and a clear conscience to go with it)

On the bright side, I think we may be in for an entertaining few weeks.

Pass the popcorn.

I'm sorry. wai2.gif

Obviously we cant confirm the story, however I have had a few calls from clients stating they have been contacted by immigration, and they have requested to come to their house. For the people thinking this is not immigration maybe think about this...

2. If you impersonate and officer its a criminal offence (so I highly doubt this to be agents dressing up)

I told our clients the same as what a poster stated on another thread. Take their names and if possible a photo and record the number they called on.

Were those clients due for 90 day reports or retirement visa renewals in September by any chance?

My wife suggested that I take all of the evidence and send them to the local military authorities accompanied by a letter outlining the precise facts.

In her view army will be very happy to take police in fault.

Unless if they receive also...

All of my previous 90 day reports by post were turned around and back with me in three/four working days. The current one arrived with immigration [EMS tracking info] on the 20th and the return EMS is still 'item not found' on the tracking system seven days later. Just sayin!

It certainly does appear the Thai Immigration might be privatizing their workload.

Let me see... what other countries are privatizing public sector work into private hands. USA. UK, OZ, EU.... most of the west is doing just this.

The funny thing here is, we consider it corruption. But what is the difference if a Washington lobbyist pays to get a law rewritten to favor his immigration business? Not much in my book. It is just on a higher level.

I'd guess that most most people don't really care about any level of corruption as long as it doesn't impact them. But once that corruption makes life little more difficult for them ..... out come the knives. People are typically not overly altruistic.

As a side note. If the aim is to drive business to the private sector the Thais may be doing it right. In the west the government might 'hire' or pay the outside agency. Which in time becomes more expensive. This way, the Thai immigration doesn't lose any revenue. But they do save on increasing costs as the system expands as agencies can bring in bulk 90 day reports (or whatever) to process instead of individuals walking through the door.

My wife suggested that I take all of the evidence and send them to the local military authorities accompanied by a letter outlining the precise facts.
In her view army will be very happy to take police in fault.
Unless if they receive also...

Your wife is obviously a good sort.

If no one does anything about it, nothing will ever be done about it. Sounds very fancy and philosophical, but I it's true.

I'm sorry. wai2.gif

For interest's sake, there have been tales of people having to take neighbours or government officials to immigration to process an extension. If done via an agency, is that still necessary?

It certainly does appear the Thai Immigration might be privatizing their workload.

Let me see... what other countries are privatizing public sector work into private hands. USA. UK, OZ, EU.... most of the west is doing just this.

As a side note. If the aim is to drive business to the private sector the Thais may be doing it right. In the west the government might 'hire' or pay the outside agency. Which in time becomes more expensive. This way, the Thai immigration doesn't lose any revenue. But they do save on increasing costs as the system expands as agencies can bring in bulk 90 day reports (or whatever) to process instead of individuals walking through the door.

Good point IMHO...

As a French, I know french embassy in BKK have changed their system to get a visa for France.

From some years now, the applicant has to go through a private dedicated "agency" collecting and organising all the paper-work. Though they are not entitled to decide on your ability to get a visa.

When eveything is ok, they give you an appointment to meet in person a french embassy officer, who, then, will process your demand.

And, for sure, the applicant has to pay the said "agency"...

Mmmmmh, it seems quite similar...

We had one poster note the crowd in the morning and the unusual number of people who had to have their hand held.

How was it in the Afternoon. Did any one note how many permission to stay a year were given out? They try for 50 a day.

Was there any extra staff such as three for the permission to stay rather than the two. Do they have room for more staff?wai.gif

I have it from a good source that there is room to put in more desks but for some reason they choose not to. He tried to take a picture of all the empty space and was stopped and told "no pictures allowed" Again I repeat there seems to be no dignity for the elderly here. There must be "connected" foreigner here who can come up with an answer to this worsening dilemma.

All of my previous 90 day reports by post were turned around and back with me in three/four working days. The current one arrived with immigration [EMS tracking info] on the 20th and the return EMS is still 'item not found' on the tracking system seven days later. Just sayin!

It's only a week, don't panic. Don't see why you would have used EMS and not rong tabien? EMS tracking info can take a week just to be updated in the computer system.

It's only a week, don't panic. Don't see why you would have used EMS and not rong tabien? EMS tracking info can take a week just to be updated in the computer system.

That's longer than has normally taken, in my experience and as detailed by others. Normally 3-4 days turnaround when sent by EMS....it's always been at Immigration by Day 2 (and is updated to reflect such on the Thai Post website) and back to me by Day 4.

For a 90 day report to Immigration sent via EMS, I've never had it take more than one day for the EMS tracking data to be updated in the Thai Post computer system.

Next Month the immigration at Prom will also take on the processing of Education visas this will probably add around another 50 cases per day.....

what about extension for thai child ? still at the airport ?

Next Month the immigration at Prom will also take on the processing of Education visas this will probably add around another 50 cases per day.....

Hi,

Yes that is still at the airport, along with spouse extensions, business and foundation. I will try to keep the Thai visa members updated as there is likely to be more changes coming.

Hi,

Yes that is still at the airport, along with spouse extensions, business and foundation. I will try to keep the Thai visa members updated as there is likely to be more changes coming.

With every day passing the changes only seem to be detrimental, what else can they have in mind to make the processes even more distasteful?

Good point IMHO...

As a French, I know french embassy in BKK have changed their system to get a visa for France.

From some years now, the applicant has to go through a private dedicated "agency" collecting and organising all the paper-work. Though they are not entitled to decide on your ability to get a visa.

When eveything is ok, they give you an appointment to meet in person a french embassy officer, who, then, will process your demand.

The Thai embassy in Phnom Penh do pretty much the same thing; forcing you to use an 'agent', although very shady looking character hanging around outside the building would be a better description and I'm sure that the reasons for doing it weren't so sensible (making sure that documentation is in order so that you aren't wasting the embassy staff's time) and certainly not altruistic . For that reason - I figured out that the embassy staff were taking at least some of the money we had to pay the 'agent' - we came in on a 30 day exemption and got a proper tourist visa later from a different consulate later. It was a little inconvenient, but meh. I didn't contribute to the global problem of bribery and corruption; I know a lot of others would have just paid them, and most other peope will call me stupid for doing that, but I don't care. My conscience, my decision.

In the case of the French embassy, I would go through an agent without my conscience bothering me.

With every day passing the changes only seem to be detrimental, what else can they have in mind to make the processes even more distasteful?

That question really bothers me. It shouldn't, but it does.

Good point IMHO...

I dont see any similarity at all ... Your French Embassy are dealing with people that apply to enter France as I read it. We are already living here in Thailand ... See the difference ?

Good point IMHO...

I dont see any similarity at all ... Your French Embassy are dealing with people that apply to enter France as I read it. We are already living here in Thailand ... See the difference ?

Gobs got the point I was trying to make. My point was that some governments (and we do not know if this includes Thailand or not yet) feel it necessary to cut costs in many areas. In this case Thai Immigration costs. My point was not who lives where or which direction they travel to and from.

If I am correct the Thai government is struggling with keeping up with a lot of expats and tourists. So they are finding ways to streamline their costs. If they unload a lot of the work (costs) to the agencies they effectively pass the increased costs created by increase expats and tourists on to... you guessed it... the expats and tourists. Where it should be. After all should the Thai people bear the costs of our living here?

Good point IMHO...

Gobs got the point I was trying to make. My point was that some governments (and we do not know if this includes Thailand or not yet) feel it necessary to cut costs in many areas. In this case Thai Immigration costs. My point was not who lives where or which direction they travel to and from.

If I am correct the Thai government is struggling with keeping up with a lot of expats and tourists. So they are finding ways to streamline their costs. If they unload a lot of the work (costs) to the agencies they effectively pass the increased costs created by increase expats and tourists on to... you guessed it... the expats and tourists. Where it should be. After all should the Thai people bear the costs of our living here?

I think the agency streamlining thing is currently only happening in Chiang Mai?

Which independent agency would you recommend to immigration to help reduce the workload? Or perhaps shared equally amongst already in business?

Archived