Immigration Promenada One Stop Service

Tywais

I have an aversion to wasting my time, even though I have an abundance of it.

I hopefully got my report done by post, tracking said it got there all I have to do is wait and see if I get the slip back.

The online failed miserably for me.

It seems that the time wasted and cost for some to get there, it would be better to organise either a group booking to say Hong Kong for a day shopping trip or a day charter flight over a border, you may laugh but at least you would have fun and the cost wouldnt be outrageous, plus it would be a way of saying your service to us sucks we will spend our money elsewhere for this.

Just a thought and I have only had 1 beer.

• Replies 597
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The reason for the problems and delays at immigration is the limited cases they are taking. 15 for retirement and 100 for 90 days reports. A lot of people have said 200 but this was only the case on Tuesday as people refused to leave without doing their reports. To give people an idea of how different this is, they are handling roughly 25% of what the old office did. I have seen people asking about posting on facebook groups ect but you can complain straight to immigration either online or call 1111.

I have lived in Chiang Mai for 13 years now and have never regarded the 90 day renewal as little more than a minor irritation until now. Yesterday, (11th. Aug.) I did my first visit to the new office at Promenada, I arrived about 11.30 and the place was very quiet, which I, naively, thought was a good sign. My wife and I approached the door and found a formidable looking lady assistant barring the way, after explaining the reason for my visit I was informed that I was too late and that all queue times had already been taken, she added that I should try again on Thursday but I should be in the queue for a ticket before 8am. This was totally unprecedented, in my experience, for a 90 day renewal and I did express my dissatisfaction to which she advised that I should go to the visa agency next door for assistance. Out of curiosity I did just that. I asked the smiling lady at the agency office if she could get my 90 day renewal today and how much would it cost, she advised me that it was no problem, she could do it there and then for 500 Baht, I declined the offer and left the office. Is this some kind of a scam? how could she arrange the renewal when it was not possible to fit me in? there was no one else waiting at that time and no indications that the Immigration officers were rushed off their feet. My wife approached one Immigration officer to ask if she could do the renewal but received the same advice about using the agency, it would be interesting to know how many people are prepared to pay 500 Baht for this proceedure because, to me, it sounds like extortion. Prior to this experience, I had thought that moving to Promenada was a move to streamline the procedure but now, since reading Thaivisa, I believe no one at Promenada has the authority to sign any papers and they still have to be sent to the old office, surely it would be much easier to have someone there who can sign.

I have lived in Chiang Mai for 13 years now and have never regarded the 90 day renewal as little more than a minor irritation until now. Yesterday, (11th. Aug.) I did my first visit to the new office at Promenada, I arrived about 11.30 and the place was very quiet, which I, naively, thought was a good sign. My wife and I approached the door and found a formidable looking lady assistant barring the way, after explaining the reason for my visit I was informed that I was too late and that all queue times had already been taken, she added that I should try again on Thursday but I should be in the queue for a ticket before 8am. This was totally unprecedented, in my experience, for a 90 day renewal and I did express my dissatisfaction to which she advised that I should go to the visa agency next door for assistance. Out of curiosity I did just that. I asked the smiling lady at the agency office if she could get my 90 day renewal today and how much would it cost, she advised me that it was no problem, she could do it there and then for 500 Baht, I declined the offer and left the office. Is this some kind of a scam? how could she arrange the renewal when it was not possible to fit me in? there was no one else waiting at that time and no indications that the Immigration officers were rushed off their feet. My wife approached one Immigration officer to ask if she could do the renewal but received the same advice about using the agency, it would be interesting to know how many people are prepared to pay 500 Baht for this proceedure because, to me, it sounds like extortion. Prior to this experience, I had thought that moving to Promenada was a move to streamline the procedure but now, since reading Thaivisa, I believe no one at Promenada has the authority to sign any papers and they still have to be sent to the old office, surely it would be much easier to have someone there who can sign.

Wow. If this is accurate then we've reached an unfortunate stage at the CM Immigration Office.

Wow. If this is accurate then we've reached an unfortunate stage at the CM Immigration Office.

Seriously, a visa agency next to immigration and being recommended by immigration staff?

The reason for the problems and delays at immigration is the limited cases they are taking. 15 for retirement and 100 for 90 days reports. A lot of people have said 200 but this was only the case on Tuesday as people refused to leave without doing their reports. To give people an idea of how different this is, they are handling roughly 25% of what the old office did. I have seen people asking about posting on facebook groups ect but you can complain straight to immigration either online or call 1111.

I was there early on Monday and they handled out 20 queue cards for retirement/medical and 200 for 90 day reports. Incidentally, I helped someone with a medical case and I don't think they'd handled one before at the new office. They didn't have the proper forms there.

The confusion on the numbers for 90 day reports may arise from the fact that they only have 100 queue cards for 90 day reports. On Monday, after they'd passed out all 100 (at 8:30 am), they asked the people remaining to stand in a queue and they returned a few minutes later to give them a handwritten slip of paper with a queue number. They told them to return at 1 pm and they'd give them a queue card then. So, in effect, they set up a pre-queue for the afternoon. Whether they do this every day is unknown. Here are the people who were given the handwritten afternoon prequeue tickets for 90 day reports on Monday.

post-68373-0-36504400-1439353595_thumb.j

Also, I watched after 2 pm as people came expecting to do 90 day reports. The people at the "Info desk" did a good job of listening to the hard-luck stories (and looking at the passports) and if someone did have a genuine problem -- like they drove 100 km and were already late and had to pay a fine so there was no way they could mail in their 90 day report, then they did try to work them in to submit a 90 day report.

I have to report my address 4 days before I leave the country when my latest extension expires...as my last extension was 4-5 days before the stamped date in my passport.

Can I mail in my address or do I have to queue from dawn or is this a simpler end-of day process ?

There is another non-pinned thread running about what conditions were like at 8 am yesterday (Tuesday, August 11) at the Promenada Office. You may wish to check out the photo to see that yes, indeed, all 200 queue cards would have been distributed by 8:30 am and that it's doubtful that the line was congested by very many visa agents: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/847482-the-queue-for-immigration-this-morning/?p=9721889

I was there on Monday and it was the same, with the line up the hill, well over 120 people by the time the office opened.

I noticed that new visa agency and thought it rather brilliant that a new visa agency opened that close to the Immigration office. Just like Star Visa is down the street from the U.S. Consulate and does brisk business in helping people fill out the forms to apply for a visa to the U.S. (And yes, the people at the U.S. Consulate have suggested I go to Star Visa when I've needed to have Thai government documents translated into English for business with various U.S. gov't agencies. But no one suspects they get "kick-backs") 500 baht is pretty much the standard rate for asking someone to go to Immigration to file a 90 day report for you -- check out what Chiang Mai Buddy charges. What's different is that you were already there.

There is more empty retail space available near the Immigration office and perhaps some of the other visa agents in town will be opening offices there. Certainly the Promenada management would like to see that.

You didn't get into the particulars of what you'd be "buying" for your 500 baht, but I doubt you would have walked away with your 90 day report slip in your passport. (Incidentally, it's not a "renewal", but a "report") She probably would have made the necessary copies, gotten you to sign everything, your money and then your she would be mailing the 90 day report slip to you. It would have been interesting to see if this new upstart visa agency had the ability just to barge into immigration and cut into the queue and do your 90 day report for you right on the spot.

In trying to think of a solution to this situation instead of just complaining, I had the following thought. I posted portions of this on another string, but I hope the mods will be tolerant as it isn't exactly a double post.

While talking to people waiting at Immigration it was apparent that many do not know or understand their options. Many are possibly not computer literate or do not know where to look for information. The cumbersome Thai Immigration website is difficult to wade through and not multilingual. There were many non English speakers in the queue. The option to mail in 90 day reports is simply not being disseminated to many, many people. This would also apply to online reporting if it ever becomes reliable. As much as some of us would like to believe everyone reads ThaiVisa, they don't. I spoke with an English teacher who had been in Thailand a number of years and of course was computer literate. She was unaware of the mail in option.

I think one of the easiest, and most cost effective, solutions at this point would be for Immigration to create a multi language handout explaining and recommending the mail in process. The handout can be as simple as a single page photocopy. Give it to everyone making their 90 day report or other transaction. The Immigration Officer could hand the person a blank 90 day form to be completed, along with the instruction/information sheet.

Perhaps even the Expats Club or other group could take this on as a community service project.

Doing this for even a few weeks would reach potentially hundreds of people who may not be aware of their options. There may be a better way, but this was the best I could think of for now. We live in an information society, but the information much reach the people.

Edit:typo

Just off of the top of my head, here's what's transpired since the move to Promenada (based upon firsthand reports):

1. No more on-line queue system. Ever.

2. No indoor seating; outdoor seating area shared with livestock.

3. No toilet facilities until mid-morning.

4. Only one employee to process retirement extensions, so fewer processed daily.

5. No computers, everything done manually.

6. Person with signature approval at another geographic location, delays processing.

7. Fewer 90 day reports processed each day creating need to arrive at 08:00 (or thereabouts).

8. No easily visible sign showing which queue number is next; numbers are not necessarily called in order.

On the bright side, at least the location is inconvenient.

I agree with all your points and most of all the stupid location at Promenada - I wonder how all the people that cheered about the move feel now ... Are you still happy about Promenada ...?

Apparently some people aren't paying attention. I'm not a cheerleader for Promenada, but......

#2 Livestock are gone during the week

#3 Toilet facilities are open as early as 5 am

#6 Technically, the person with the signature authority seems to be coming to Promenada to do the OKs -- or maybe some days the passports make the trips and maybe some days the signer makes the trip. Who knows? It doesn't really matter. It's still a mess.

#7 No actually, they didn't process more more than 200 90-day reports at the old facility. Suddenly, it seems every old f@rt in Chiang Mai has decided he needs a day out at the mall. Why they can't go to Maya and check out the new Duke's is beyond me. Maybe because David won't make them sit outside in the heat on little wooden stools for hours. I know I'll probably garner criticism for these comments, but we retired people really shouldn't consider filing 90 day reports in person a form of entertainment.

It was not aimed at you Nancy - your reports from this new place at Promenada are very helpful. Wife and I esp liked the pics of the goats so keep up the good Work, every post you make about it help us (we go on tuesday for 90 day ... uurrgghhh).

I just remember that quite a lot of people were delighted about the move to Promenada and that I admit I didnt understood ...

I have to report my address 4 days before I leave the country when my latest extension expires...as my last extension was 4-5 days before the stamped date in my passport.

Can I mail in my address or do I have to queue from dawn or is this a simpler end-of day process ?

90 day reports are independent of extensions. It doesn't matter when your extension expires. You can mail in your 90 day report up to 15 days before it is due. Here are the details: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/557382-90-day-report-procedures/

When i did my 90 day last week. The 100 laminated plastic cards had been handed out before 08:40ish when i arrived. Staff said hang about because when numbers 1,2,3.... Have been processed these numbers will be returned to the desk by immigration staff. Within 30mins i had number 11, on the second issue is really 111. I got called at 15:00. A guy worked out how many people were being processed by the speed the numbers were being called. He worked out that it was about 160 a day. Immigration may not issue the full 100 the second time around?

It is amazing that just by moving the office the 90 day turnaround has gone from 1 h 30 - 3 hours at the old office, turn up any time you like to pretty much an all day job at the new office and if you dont arrive by 08:00 you may be wasting your time. I think i was very lucky to to get a number at about 09:00. Many people i spoke to including myself had to visit more than once to complete the 90 day report.

Thanks for sharing your experience at this horrible Promenada Imm.

I think you are right about this being a scam - how convinient of the Agency to open next door to Immigration and having Immigration Officers pushing costumers to the Agency ... I wonder how much the kick-back is ... maybe 50% ...

Getting quite tired of this Circus-Immigration here in CM, time to find another place to live perhaps

I see more and more people switching to mail their 90 day report to such an extent that the next we will hear from Immigration is they have to suspend the mail-in service because they don't have enough staff to process the applications.

Also, it's possible that some high ranking Immigration officer will get a report showing that not many people are using the online application method, and will decide to terminate that, instead of investigating why it is not being used.

If they do not have the space for more than one officer to process retirement visa applications, what are the other officers that used to do the applications prior to the move, doing ? Why can they not process retirement visa applications at both offices, so applicants can choose which one to visit ?

It makes me wonder, here in the Land of Honesty and Non-corruption, that the real agenda here is to push as many foreigners as possible to the Visa Agencies. I'll leave it to the critical thinking capabilities of the reader to come up with a reason as to why there might actually be a grain of truth in that 'wondering' and the 'who benefits' conclusion that might be reached by inquisitive minds.

It will also be interesting to see how new visa agencies open up in the Prom in the near future.

This morning at Chiang Mai Immigration at the Promenada. They gave out 15 Queue numbers for retirement extensions. For 90 day reports they gave out 100. To be sure of getting your extension done you would need to be at the immigration at 5am.

post-243749-0-54567300-1439429895_thumb.

It makes me wonder, here in the Land of Honesty and Non-corruption, that the real agenda here is to push as many foreigners as possible to the Visa Agencies. I'll leave it to the critical thinking capabilities of the reader to come up with a reason as to why there might actually be a grain of truth in that 'wondering' and the 'who benefits' conclusion that might be reached by inquisitive minds.

It will also be interesting to see how new visa agencies open up in the Prom in the near future.

I know your post is a form of sarcasm but..........500 baht & it could have been done instantly sounds like a deal to me when compared with sitting in the sun not once but

again on the return trip...maybe more?. Folks complain yet in every country favors are available but in most countries favors are limited to the select few that have the connections

here you have the option to get a task done...free no? done yes.

All that aside a person has to be a raging lunatic to even go to immigration for a 90 day report when 34 baht TOTAL for registered mail both ways gets it done simply.

Yes I have read many here are older folks who know nothing of computers/internet etc but come on folks....You want to move to a foreign country it is your job to make yourself aware

of the rules & regs , what is required & how to get it done yourself easily.

If your not capable of that then options exists...whether it is the 500 baht payment or hire someone else to do all your required tasks up to you. But ultimately it is your job

to figure it out. If not perhaps living outside of your home country is just too hard ?

To those who claim maybe Imm is pushing for agents....Can you blame them if they did? ( I personally do not believe this to be the case) But reading here the raving

complaints about a system when options such as mail in or hiring an agent exists boggles my mind & I truly pity the Imm workers who have to deal with these types day after day after

looooooooong day. I would go nuts & would make it as unpleasant on the unpleasant folks as possible if I were a Imm official...Sorry but that is the truth of it.

The cattle mentioned earlier was real irony considering the cattle numbering 200+ per day bothering Imm with something that they could simply mail in.

Get a grip folks...Get it together....We hope for options...we hope for easier ways to do things...Then we get some easing & folks dont use them.... then complain about the old way they insist

on still using being too hard. Good luck as I do not see banging your head on a wall by choice getting any easier for you.

There is another non-pinned thread running about what conditions were like at 8 am yesterday (Tuesday, August 11) at the Promenada Office. You may wish to check out the photo to see that yes, indeed, all 200 queue cards would have been distributed by 8:30 am and that it's doubtful that the line was congested by very many visa agents: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/847482-the-queue-for-immigration-this-morning/?p=9721889

I was there on Monday and it was the same, with the line up the hill, well over 120 people by the time the office opened.

I noticed that new visa agency and thought it rather brilliant that a new visa agency opened that close to the Immigration office. Just like Star Visa is down the street from the U.S. Consulate and does brisk business in helping people fill out the forms to apply for a visa to the U.S. (And yes, the people at the U.S. Consulate have suggested I go to Star Visa when I've needed to have Thai government documents translated into English for business with various U.S. gov't agencies. But no one suspects they get "kick-backs") 500 baht is pretty much the standard rate for asking someone to go to Immigration to file a 90 day report for you -- check out what Chiang Mai Buddy charges. What's different is that you were already there.

There is more empty retail space available near the Immigration office and perhaps some of the other visa agents in town will be opening offices there. Certainly the Promenada management would like to see that.

You didn't get into the particulars of what you'd be "buying" for your 500 baht, but I doubt you would have walked away with your 90 day report slip in your passport. (Incidentally, it's not a "renewal", but a "report") She probably would have made the necessary copies, gotten you to sign everything, your money and then your she would be mailing the 90 day report slip to you. It would have been interesting to see if this new upstart visa agency had the ability just to barge into immigration and cut into the queue and do your 90 day report for you right on the spot.

Nancy correct me if I am wrong but would she not have had to keep his passport to show the immigration? He would then have to come back to get it. Also if they are doing 200 90 day reports that is just a little over 25 an hour based on a eight hour day. I don't believe they were doing any where near that many at the airport. It would seem the problem is not with them it is with the people who show up rather than mailing in. I find it hard to believe that the moment they move to the Promenade all of a sudden they have 200 a day.

I have to admit it. I was sure things would be better when they moved. But for some reason they cut the staff on the permission to stay to one and a whole lot more people started to show up for their 90 day. That we can't blame on them. Any chance that the new agent is a former immigration worker?

Nancy correct me if I am wrong but would she not have had to keep his passport to show the immigration? He would then have to come back to get it. Also if they are doing 200 90 day reports that is just a little over 25 an hour based on a eight hour day. I don't believe they were doing any where near that many at the airport. It would seem the problem is not with them it is with the people who show up rather than mailing in. I find it hard to believe that the moment they move to the Promenade all of a sudden they have 200 a day.

I don't think the agent would have had to keep the passport....you don't send in your passport when you mail in the 90 day report, you just send copies.

Come to think of it, that's one way that the visa agent at Promenada could have proceeded - charge 500 thb to "take care of it" for the customer, make the necessary copies, send the customer on his way and then mail it to Immigration for the same 74 thb it would have cost the customer to mail it himself, with the customer receiving the receipt back in the mail.

Entrepreneurial GOLD.

I don't think the agent would have had to keep the passport...

At one time that was true but immigration informed the agency I used that they have to see the passport and is why I stopped using an agency as it required two trips every 90 days. One to drop off the passport and one to pick it up. Prior to this change in immigration policy, just signed 4 TM47's and one visit a year to the agency.

For some though that still may be a more convenient option rather than run the gauntlet at immigration.

I tend to agree with a previous poster.

As more and more people start to use the mail in system there will soon be a statement that because of the increased numbers the system will have to be abolished.

Online 90 day reporting seems to only work for a lucky few, (Why they cannot make a simple fix here is beyond me).

Removing online "visa" appointment booking because some people have complained they could not get a slot, or that not enough staff to deal with them is nonsensical.

The new location is not the problem. The system is broken and falling apart and is in drastic need of a complete overhaul.

Currently it's a disgrace!

Preaching to the converted will not fix the situation.

A 'delegation' letter to Immi local & head office with copies to relevant Embassies might be a start. Offers to (re)build reporting and appointment websites might be promoted along with other suggestions for streamlining a major money earner for the RTP.

Who to head up a CNX expats delegation ... NancyL? Tywais? ... Thai language skills and some sort of clout with local Immi bosses would help

A 'delegation' letter to Immi local & head office with copies to relevant Embassies might be a start. Offers to (re)build reporting and appointment websites might be promoted along with other suggestions for streamlining a major money earner for the RTP.

Who to head up a CNX expats delegation ... NancyL? Tywais? ... Thai language skills and some sort of clout with local Immi bosses would help

Admirable,but how many people would want to put their real names to anything effectively criticising the current situation particularly under the administration that the country has at the moment?

Admirable,but how many people would want to put their real names to anything effectively criticising the current situation particularly under the administration that the country has at the moment?

Below is from the immigration website, I am trying to find the link where you can Submit a complaint on-line, as I believe these can be done anonymously.

"Call 1111 – for submitting general complaints: this helpline is operated by the Royal Thai Government as the main channel giving 24-hour service. English Speaking Operators are available through this helpline. The helpline has the authority to coordinate requests for assistance working together with relevant supervisors from every government ministry, departments, provincial authorities, state enterprises, independent agencies, and Royal Thai Embassies in ASEAN countries as well."

With all the confusion @ Promenada & on-line down/terminated, I decided to get a quote from a visa service provider. Annual extension only - close to B8k. 3 monthly reporting - I do myself. Of course, having done this independently for 13 years, I reluctantly passed on this wonderful opportunity.

I experienced the Promenada 90 day report this morning as First. I wanted to know where it is physically located (I am not a mall customer) and second to see just how bad it really is.

Arrived at 0600, number 8 in 90 day report que line

Numbers issued at 0845, I received number 21, 2 girls ahead of me took 8 numbers and the other one 5 numbers

service to provide 90 day report began at 0910 and the girl with 8 numbers jumped que to be first, no number calld om pa system, she responded to a hand signal by one of the girls working the 90 day report desk

There were 2 girls in uniform working off of a single person desk for this service, both helping the girl with 8 numbers

I had been granted permi8ssion to sit inside due to a respitory disability, so I approached the girls and explained my disability and they promptlyy did mine and I got out of there. So yes I had a ring side seat from about 0845 until leaving at 0915. All 90 day numbers/slots gone.

Before I left the desk a farang lady, sit down and 1 of the girls took her documents for processing and I mentioed the numberr system, que etc.(as she jumped at least 13 slots) and she said she had an appointment. I pointed out that there is no provision for 90 day reporting via appointment and both she and the immogration girl knew they had been caught out. A fellow i had met earlier said he knew the farang lady to be a teacher. I did not pursue the matter as I was on the way away from the madhouse.

The 1111 complaint line may be the way to go as the payment of civil servent for doing or expiditing their job is considered bibrey and both the reciever and the one doing the paying are liable for criminal charges as per the present government. It certainly appears to be collusion between individuals and yes i have names of others who saw these happenings.

I have to admit it. I was sure things would be better when they moved. But for some reason they cut the staff on the permission to stay to one and a whole lot more people started to show up for their 90 day. That we can't blame on them. Any chance that the new agent is a former immigration worker?

I was there at 8:15 on the 7th and was done with the 90 day and got a re-entry permit by 10.15. Guess I was lucky.

But in regards to visa agents I did observe an agent with about a dozen sets of forms and passports sitting at the other 90 day desk. So it seems they do go through the process with passport in hand not just the copies. If faced with paying 500 bt or having to come back then I'd pay. But next time I'll use the post.

In all my dealings with Asians I find it is best to offer praise (ie: great staff, clean new premises), not criticise. Then one offers suggestions to help speed up or improve services. It's about working together for mutual benefit.

I have no problem putting my name to something like that and have always, with one Transport Office exception, had a good rapport with Thai Government officials.

I experienced the Promenada 90 day report this morning as First. I wanted to know where it is physically located (I am not a mall customer) and second to see just how bad it really is.

Arrived at 0600, number 8 in 90 day report que line

Numbers issued at 0845, I received number 21, 2 girls ahead of me took 8 numbers and the other one 5 numbers

service to provide 90 day report began at 0910 and the girl with 8 numbers jumped que to be first, no number calld om pa system, she responded to a hand signal by one of the girls working the 90 day report desk

There were 2 girls in uniform working off of a single person desk for this service, both helping the girl with 8 numbers

I had been granted permi8ssion to sit inside due to a respitory disability, so I approached the girls and explained my disability and they promptlyy did mine and I got out of there. So yes I had a ring side seat from about 0845 until leaving at 0915. All 90 day numbers/slots gone.

Before I left the desk a farang lady, sit down and 1 of the girls took her documents for processing and I mentioed the numberr system, que etc.(as she jumped at least 13 slots) and she said she had an appointment. I pointed out that there is no provision for 90 day reporting via appointment and both she and the immogration girl knew they had been caught out. A fellow i had met earlier said he knew the farang lady to be a teacher. I did not pursue the matter as I was on the way away from the madhouse.

The 1111 complaint line may be the way to go as the payment of civil servent for doing or expiditing their job is considered bibrey and both the reciever and the one doing the paying are liable for criminal charges as per the present government. It certainly appears to be collusion between individuals and yes i have names of others who saw these happenings.

The 2 girls were no doubt visa agents. First pay first serve in Thailand.

Archived