One week to go: deadline for mandatory prepaid SIM card registration!

Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I registered my phone and then informed my son in the UK on Facebook that I was required to do it. (Part of a general message).

He replied, jokingly, that it sounded like north Korea. Interestingly, the post disappeared within 24 hours. Hmmmm.

Drove to a big AIS in Mall Thalang Phuket but noticed a little AIS shop on my way. No one in there. Skipped in with passport and Samsung Note and said 'Sawasdee - REGISTER kap.'

She nodded and stopped playing a game on her iPhone. She tapped away. On her iPhone. She took a shot of my main page in passport. Finally I think she did the 151. Handed Note back and returned to her war game.

Got to Villa car park 5 minutes later and tried *151#. First time it said busy and second time it said this in English:

"You've already registered your prepaid SIM card for this number with Passport no. ending with. If the number is incorrect please contact AIS shop/telewiz"

There was no number but I felt like a naughty boy at school asking too many questions. Good luck everyone.

If i bought my sim card just a month ago, do i still have to register ?

Didn't they registered me when i bought it ?

If they asked for your ID/passport I assume your SIM is registered.

To be honest, i bought it at the airport, still groggy from my flight so i don't remember if she asked for it or not.

And of course, when i tiped *151 on the cellphone, the message is in Thai :)

To be honest, i bought it at the airport, still groggy from my flight so i don't remember if she asked for it or not.

And of course, when i tiped *151 on the cellphone, the message is in Thai smile.png

You might consider

- ask a Thai

- cut and paste in Google translate

- make a photo and post here

Thank You!

Thank you for this reminder, and especially the numbers to cal to see if the sim is actually registered.

Two months ago I went to AIS:

(1) To register sim, and she took my passport, scanned it, and entered information into the computer.

(2) to have my data transferred to a new (micro) sim.

Just checked .. the number is NOT REGISTERED.

On my way to 7-11 today, since they seem to be the only way to get anything done in Thailand !!!!

And of course, when i tiped *151 on the cellphone, the message is in Thai smile.png

You might consider

- ask a Thai

BINGO:

You might consider

- ask a Thai

I was told by AIS that my number has already been registered, but I am quite certain I never did register. I previously never had any reason to do so and I would remember if I had...

LOL Imagine how much revenue AIS would lose if this were actually enforced! I have however registered mine, just in case ermm.gif

You might consider

- ask a Thai

Good idea.

Cannot copy / past on this SMS so i attached a sceenshot of the message.

0aoDfxi.png

Your number is registered, everything ok.

Getting a message in Thai when you dial *151# is correct. For an English message, dial *151*9#

I tried that, but it still came back in Thai. It's different from the message I got without using the 9, but I still have no idea what it says. :)post-210278-0-22197900-1437809670_thumb.

Out local Soi Bum (7-11 Doorman) will regester your SIM for 100 baht. Quite the Enterpeneur.

I would guest he now has 75-100 numbers in his name and doing a brisk busness that is getting better every day.

...............now no one will ever know

.Jimmy-Savile.jpg

Yes, but....if your phone is stolen, you'll lose your phone number. Depend if it's important for you or not.

I am ( not ) looking forward to all the posts and comments here on TV from people complaining about how unfair this is and that no one ever informed them that they need to do this, after their SIM cards stop working.

How long and how many times have we been warned about this??

You know the posts are coming!

I am out of the country, arriving back on 1st Aug and need my mobile to call family on arrival. Have the government thought of this, or is it the usual Thai "good idea" followed by consequences later ! facepalm.gifwink.png

Another excuse by you to blame the Government. for your problem ? I have noted that you made recent posts to Thai Visa...you have had at least 6 moths to register

If it was only this time I would be happy !

But yes, I am often wrong :-(

I just try to pretend because compared to what I can read on this forum most of the time I feel so smart 5555+

Who believes the BS ? Nothing will happen even after the deadline OF COURSE.

as much as I would like to believe it, I am quite sure that this time you are wrong

Archived