What to do about WP/visa when changing employers

Hello everyone,

Next month, I will be moving from BKK to Chiang Rai to start a new job with an international NGO (locally registered as a "foundation"). My current WP and visa expire on Aug 30th, the expiration date of my current contract. I will be using up my accrued holiday, so will be leaving BKK on Aug 15th to go to CR.

This is an amicable split with my current company, and there are no hard feelings, meaning that if I ask for help with paperwork, I am sure they will give it to me.

So here's my question: is it realistically possible for me to be able to either transfer my WP to or apply for a new WP for my new job without having to do a visa trip to another country? This would be much more preferable as I want to hit the ground running with my new organization without having to take a few days off in the beginning to go to Laos.

There is no transfer of a work permit. Your existing extension will need to be canceled and then you apply for a new one.

Your new employer will need to apply for your new work permit and obtain a work permit approval letter. Then when your current work permit is canceled the new one will be issued..

You will need a termination letter to cancel your current extension.

Immigration will post date the extension cancellation to the date on the termination letter. You should get the cancellation done before going to CR. Then with documents from you new employer and the work permit application approval letter you would apply for a new extension on the cancellation date.

it will be a matter of getting the correct date on the termination letter so that you can apply for a new extension.

• Like 1

I was recently informed that work permits are only transferred in 'exceptional' circumstances. The paperwork is easier for the company if the employee leaves and re- applies for a new Non B Visa... Its a chance for a few days in Laos perhaps??

I was recently informed that work permits are only transferred in 'exceptional' circumstances. The paperwork is easier for the company if the employee leaves and re- applies for a new Non B Visa... Its a chance for a few days in Laos perhaps??

Work permits are not and have not been transferrable to new employers for more than about 15 years now.

You can add a second job, in the same labour district, into an existing WP, but it is complex and requires the full support of both employers, plus it would still require cancellation if you left the employ of the first employer entered into the WP..

There is no transfer of a work permit. Your existing extension will need to be canceled and then you apply for a new one.

Your new employer will need to apply for your new work permit and obtain a work permit approval letter. Then when your current work permit is canceled the new one will be issued..

You will need a termination letter to cancel your current extension.

Immigration will post date the extension cancellation to the date on the termination letter. You should get the cancellation done before going to CR. Then with documents from you new employer and the work permit application approval letter you would apply for a new extension on the cancellation date.

it will be a matter of getting the correct date on the termination letter so that you can apply for a new extension.

UJ,

what is the situation here?...Is there an overlap permitted to allow for the visa extension to take place or is a new extension and by default an new visa required? or can the existing extension be rolled over even though the original extension has been cancelled.

As I wrote the cancellation can be post dated for few days that would give a person time to apply for a new extension. Normally the post dating would not be needed if the cancellation and extension was being done at the same office.

It is a matter of getting all the documents required to apply for the new extension.

As I wrote the cancellation can be post dated for few days that would give a person time to apply for a new extension. Normally the post dating would not be needed if the cancellation and extension was being done at the same office.

It is a matter of getting all the documents required to apply for the new extension.

Thanks for the clarification.

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the responses.

I know that the WP cannot be transferred. After speaking to a colleague, it is possible to apply for a new WP and get it semi-fast tracked in order to get the new WP within the 7-day extension after cancelling the previous WP. However, it all comes down to timing, as many of you stated.

My particular case is even more complex since the two jobs are located in different provinces. So, tomorrow I will be contacting the MoL to find out if I can take my WP with me to CR and cancel it in the office there. If I can, I should be able to apply for the new WP with enough time to get it done, then get my 1-year extension.

Will update as I go through the process.

BBTJ

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the responses.

I know that the WP cannot be transferred. After speaking to a colleague, it is possible to apply for a new WP and get it semi-fast tracked in order to get the new WP within the 7-day extension after cancelling the previous WP. However, it all comes down to timing, as many of you stated.

My particular case is even more complex since the two jobs are located in different provinces. So, tomorrow I will be contacting the MoL to find out if I can take my WP with me to CR and cancel it in the office there. If I can, I should be able to apply for the new WP with enough time to get it done, then get my 1-year extension.

Will update as I go through the process.

BBTJ

Cancellation needs to be done at the issuing office - but can be easily done by a third party.

You need the new WP application to be successfully filed using form WP1, nothing to stop you/your employer doing this in advance of the cancellation of your existing WP/Extension..

• 5 weeks later...