renting a condo not everything as it seems

started looking for a new place to rent as I had been in the place for near 4 years but I was getting fed up with constant

problems with internet and various other things and the delay in getting things fixed.

after a quick look online I spotted the perfect place decent price/furniture/and fittings/near beach.

as I am presently in the uk I emailed the company and asked for the address (it said satahip but also showed jomtien)

a few days later I got an email from an agent describing a condo not far from the water market and quite a bit more rent

it also was a studio as apposed to the one bedroom I had viewed online.

it was nothing like the advertisement and did not have the same id as the one I had inquired about, I think it was a bait and

switch job and there was no perfect condo for rent.

so back to the laptop after a while another decent condo not quite as nice but ticked all the box's and was near the beach

well it showed near the beach but several emails later it emerged that it wasn't where it showed on the map it was actually

on the same road but a fair distance from the beach.

as it was on the baht bus route the location could be allowed so I'm thinking of viewing when the next email arrived with

the add on all water and electric is not included in the rent + cable tv and internet?

in ten years I have never had to pay for cable tv, and internet plus cable are mentioned in the list of amenities as included.

I know the standard "if you want it you have to pay" but it seems like everywhere in pattaya they are trying to squeeze the last

satang out of the punters is this the norm in the condo market now.

In Thailand it's best never to pay any money until you have seen what you are buying and have checked that it is entirely to your satisfaction. Negotiate hard: for every buyer or tenant there are dozens of rooms for sale or for rent.

Scams, lies and deception abound here. Trust no one and get everything in writing.

In Thailand it's best never to pay any money until you have seen what you are buying and have checked that it is entirely to your satisfaction. Negotiate hard: for every buyer or tenant there are dozens of rooms for sale or for rent.

Scams, lies and deception abound here. Trust no one and get everything in writing.

I would go a step further. I would visit at a few different times, morning and night. See if there are any noise issues. And interview a few people who already live there. Are they happy? Is the management reliable and responsive to problems and issues?

Archived