Craft Beer Prices

smokie36

Good concept but it's down to economics. It needs volumes which can be sold and quickly before this type of beer goes off. It's not the same as Thai bottled and canned beer which can be stored for Months.

Once they get it right and attract Customer loyalty prices will tumble.

I will pay for craft beer on special occasions because I really like really good beer and it is interesting to try different brewers and styles. I'm thrilled it is available at all even at the outrageous prices. Agreed, tho, they may not be the best value.

Singha is not bad for a mass prduced lager if it is fresh and/or stored properly and not semi-rancid as it sometimes is, but it gets pretty monotonous and Heineken or Leo aren't too much of a change.

A pint of 15% alc. bourbon and sherry barrel aged Imperial Porter at 500 baht is still a phenomenal beer. If you want to know why people line up to pay through the nose for it try something like that then, It is well worth even 500 baht once a month or so. Unlike cheap beers, It is a true meal in a glass with tons of flavors and layers and I don't need to order another. With regular larger it is too easy to spend more just slugging them back never really satisfied with the taste or the buzz. The new craft beer places also let you try a couple of sips for free as well, which is a big plus.

That said, if you want nice beer, the old school beers from Europe are the way to go. It's really too bad though that the supermarkets in Bangkok don't care enough to regularly stock some of the best value beers such as the Schneider-Weiss or Fuller's lines, which go for 150 baht for 500 ml when available. Weihenstephaner's line which is pretty damn good is more regularly stocked tho, so I suppose, yes, I don't find it justifiable to go out and have craft beer very often. The old school European brewers have found a way to cut costs and are much better value than the craft beers.

Good concept but it's down to economics. It needs volumes which can be sold and quickly before this type of beer goes off. It's not the same as Thai bottled and canned beer which can be stored for Months.

Once they get it right and attract Customer loyalty prices will tumble.

Are Bar prices influenced by customer loyalty ? How many Bars depend on permanent residents ? The next plane load of customers will be landing soon.

Surely, it is competition from neighbouring establishments which has the greatest affect.

In addition to "other attractions" in the bar . . rolleyes.gif

Indeed - I just combined a Burger + IPA (American) at New York Burger (Sukhumvit 22)...

Happy all round - apart from the prices: 500++ Baht Manhattan burger which was very good, I fancied something 'hoppy' so instead of the 120 baht Singha beer (330ml) on offer I chose a couple of American IPA's (330ml)... again, excellent but at 300 baht++ each a little pricey...

For real cheap bottled Craft Beer from the US try JUSMAG.

You have missed your opportunity to be a true Journalist, and not just a commentator.

I am sure that others, like me, quickly read your post and saw

"Went for beer, pint, 870 Baht ... WOW."

Not nearly as eye catching is --- "Went for beer, pint, 435 baht"

There is an arse for every seat .. never in 100 years would I pay that for ... Beer ... a cocktail .. MAYBE in a really nice place with a million dollar view outside .. and ...inside.

Beer? Madness.

I'm happy to report I didn't pay for that round.

No problem with 2k Baht bar bills...as usually I can hardly see them by that stage.

At that particular bar they served very nice mixed nuts too....salted naturally.

Crooks everywhere it seems....Silom has a dearth of good cheap pubs which just encourages these charlatans.....if they added a cheap local beer to their menu craft beer sales would plummet I reckon.

Indeed - I just combined a Burger + IPA (American) at New York Burger (Sukhumvit 22)...

Happy all round - apart from the prices: 500++ Baht Manhattan burger which was very good, I fancied something 'hoppy' so instead of the 120 baht Singha beer (330ml) on offer I chose a couple of American IPA's (330ml)... again, excellent but at 300 baht++ each a little pricey...

I was just in Stockholm and could get a fantastic burger for less than that! At a very touristy place, great views of the rivers, fantastic restaurant though.

500B++ is the same price I'd also pay in, say New York City! Crazy.

Prices in Thailand have indeed risen a bit over the past decade. sad.png

I was just in Stockholm and could get a fantastic burger for less than that! At a very touristy place, great views of the rivers, fantastic restaurant though.

500B++ is the same price I'd also pay in, say New York City! Crazy.

Prices in Thailand have indeed risen a bit over the past decade. sad.png

NYS&B is justifiable as the burgers are of a quality you would expect anywhere in the world for the price.

Beers there are on the reasonable end for Bangkok....try a beer at the Daniel Thaiger's new home for instance....

Edit: I use the term "reasonable" in its loosest interpretation...and for craft beer obviously.

Pattaya

Dumb comment of the day. Next.

Dumb reply of the day. Next. I was trying to load a photo that would not load at first. See if I help you in the future.thumbsup.gif

It Loaded just fine Thanx, smokie36 should keep his fingers off the keybord before engaging his brain.........nuff said,I have already been warned once for off color comments, truthfl or not.

Pattaya

Dumb comment of the day. Next.

Dumb reply of the day. Next. I was trying to load a photo that would not load at first. See if I help you in the future.thumbsup.gif

It Loaded just fine Thanx, smokie36 should keep his fingers off the keybord before engaging his brain.........nuff said,I have already been warned once for off color comments, truthfl or not.

Its the Bangkok forum...nothing to do with Pattaya.

Another one in the box.

Let's put a different angle on this.

These Craft beer places mostly don't sell local beers.

This must surely be because most of their customers would order the cheaper product.

Therefore they must be charging a larger mark up on the craft beers.

Otherwise why not sell them all?

So they are basically ripping their customers off.

Enjoy your beers folks!

This must surely be because most of their customers would order the cheaper product.

Enjoy your beers folks!

Or perhaps the "craft beer places" don't sell Leo and Singha because they aren't craft beers. A place like CRAFT on Soi 23, for example, is trying to establish itself as a niche beer establishment revolving around a selection of craft beers - selling Chang doesn't fit into that model....in fact, you'd lose all credibility as an establishment catering to craft beer aficionados if you did include Chang on the menu.

You know why the imported craft beers are more expensive - import duty and excise taxes. So a Boont Amber Ale, for example, is going to be 300 thb/bottle (or whatever it is.) That sets a baseline pricing model, then, for the makers of Thai craft beer (I guess there are some) to set their prices near because that's the product against which they compete. The people brewing craft beer aren't looking to capture the Leo/Chang/Singha crowd.

The target market for craft beer makers is more upscale, (generally) better educated, and tend to prefer quality over quantity. And they're willing to pay for that quality.

Enjoy your beers folks!

Or perhaps the "craft beer places" don't sell Leo and Singha because they aren't craft beers. A place like CRAFT on Soi 23, for example, is trying to establish itself as a niche beer establishment revolving around a selection of craft beers - selling Chang doesn't fit into that model....in fact, you'd lose all credibility as an establishment catering to craft beer aficionados if you did include Chang on the menu.

You know why the imported craft beers are more expensive - import duty and excise taxes. So a Boont Amber Ale, for example, is going to be 300 thb/bottle (or whatever it is.) That sets a baseline pricing model, then, for the makers of Thai craft beer (I guess there are some) to set their prices near because that's the product against which they compete. The people brewing craft beer aren't looking to capture the Leo/Chang/Singha crowd.

The target market for craft beer makers is more upscale, (generally) better educated, and tend to prefer quality over quantity. And they're willing to pay for that quality.

LOL...well I think they are first and foremost trying to make as much profit as they can.

Call me cynical.

Enjoy your beers folks!

LOL...well I think they are first and foremost trying to make as much profit as they can.

Call me cynical.

No doubt that they're trying to maximize profit. They shouldn't be in business if they aren't. The difference is that they aren't trying to compete on volume of sales (read: lowest price.) They're trying to promote that their product is of a higher quality (sometimes it is, sometimes not) that will command a premium pricing structure.

Enjoy your beers folks!

Call me cynical.

Imagine a business doing something like that, eh?

Archived