So How Was Your Coup Today?

John K

Fairly indifferent when the blue screen came up on state TV, as there had been rumors and in the end, my folks had mentioned on more than one occasion over the years that it was almost a norm when they were teenagers.

Walked over to my parents house with my wife and had some coffee while the army songs played in the background (the evening started with army songs then switched over to royal songs), waiting for announcements to come up. Watched for a bit, chatted about the possible implications with my parents, aunt and uncle who live down the soi, and my grandparents, and walked back home and went to sleep. Slept well, as usual.

Overall, it's business as usual: shipments went out to Don Muang as usual this morning. There were some comments from our freight forwarder that they weren't sure whether this would delay their move to the new airport or not. No big deal. Other than that, none of our business operations are directly affected by a public works (the airport in this case). Indirectly, in general the democrats -assuming they get their turn back in power- freewheeling business philosophy is probably better for us over all. I do think the lower classes will lose out a bit (but not to the point of suffering) at the departure of TRT. Most critics will say that none of those populist TRT programs were any good anyway,.... they'll likely be joined by the new ruling party when these programs are all nixed.

:o

edit: almost forgot, a bit dissappointed at the announcement that the bids for the new BTS lines would be pushed back, as down the road in 10-15+ years, this will slow down the increase in property value of a few of our main properties along one of the proposed lines. Not a huge issue, but yes, a slight downer down the road.

Edited by Heng

I am planning my first trip to Thailand this fall, coming from the US, and when I saw the news about the coup I guessed my trip would be changed radically. However, after doing some reading, it appears things might be settled very soon, if not already.

It sure is nice to be able to rely on you people for a real sense of how things are in Thailand.

My coup is all good.....

The doc just gave me 3 days off work for the flu.....so I can read all about this on TV...

My girl in BKK was a bit concerned yesterday morning, she had to stay home with the kids as they couldnt go to school...I think she has since relaxed a bit.

Hi,

For me it has been pretty normal. Lots of emails from worried family and friends back in the UK, and a live chat on local radio too about how normal everything was/is in Bangkok. About half the staff turned up for work, and half of them had disappered by lunchtime.

Today everything, including the traffic, is back to normal. The job now is to convince everyone outside Thailand that it's pretty much business as usual.

Andy.

I think we all realize that the 1997 constitution was flawed. It allowed Toxin to develop an innordinate amount of power, which he controled by influencing rulings, courts, supposed "independent" bodies, etc. He freely distributed cash to encourage support of his regime. In the end, his greed would be his downfall. 80 billion baht wasn't enough for him, he wanted it all, with no taxes, plus the huge power he has developed for himself. (Imagine how different this would have been if he had paid taxes on that money. WOuld he still be here?)

This system that Thai government was working under was not representing the people, it was representing big business interests. The US has been in the pocket of big business for many years, but people have become so jaded to this fact, that they don't think twice about it.

I believe Sonthi to be an honest man, who believes he is doing the best thing for his country. I wish him the best, and I hope that the new system that comes out of this is better able to tackle corruption. Following your concience in the face of money and power is commendable. I hope for nothing but the best for the Thai people and the country.

I believe Sonthi to be an honest man, who believes he is doing the best thing for his country. I wish him the best, and I hope that the new system that comes out of this is better able to tackle corruption. Following your concience in the face of money and power is commendable. I hope for nothing but the best for the Thai people and the country.

I too believe Sonthi is a good person. However once someone has a taste of power it is really hard to let go. We'll see how things go and see who he appoints as interim PM.

Thai history has shown before that generals can be as corrupt as Taksin and even more dangerous look for example of Suchinda in 1991 coup. :o

My coup is going pretty well. Day off work yesterday, so went on a mooch around Tong Lor/Ekamai etc to see all the soldiers (about half of whom were asleep) Loved the lack of traffic

Did the only sensible thing during a coup, played golf at Royal Lat Krabang (next to the new Airport) 35 mins travelling time....the road traffic was very sparse

I found out about the coup almost immediatly last night and wasn't worried at all because I have been through them before.

I watched a lot of news last night ( my CNN/BBC didn't go off) and had a very good coup and a very good day and was filled with pride at the Thai people and the Army for remaining gentle and non-violent and indeed laughing the whole thing off.

Besides the amazing babes, that is why I live here!

How dare you UG, you're not supposed to admit the real reason why 90% of us are here. We are supposed to cover that up in this forum as so many do. Shame on you pal

How dare you UG, you're not supposed to admit the real reason why 90% of us are here.

...and possibly make Immigration understandably consider it necessary to re-think the visa regulations and/or enforce them more strictly. We're gonna see whether the expatriate community will shrink by 90% and prove your theory to be right. :o

Edited by Richard Hall