can i be a farang buddhist novice without cutting my hair?

srl1

i'm a farang and i would like to help and work with the buddhists in a buddhist temple

but i wont cut my hair, so i can't be a monk right?

can i be a novice with my long hair? and accepted in a temple working with buddhists monks?

Why the obsession with being a Buddhist monk?

Why not just offer your volunteer services as a layperson?

More to the point OP doesn't sound like he has the correct frame of mind.

is simple we kill the batman i want to be barefoot and monks go barefoottt

but also my religion is similar to buddhism

seeking shelter huh ?

not so much, seeking going barefoot

p.d. dont call me a troll for "we kill the batman thing", it was for fun as "is simple" remind me of the joker

what do you mean simple1? i dont have the correct frame of mind?

Sounds like your karma is more attuned to being a Hindu...

im a taoist actually, but some hindu things specially tantric have similar and same things so im in part a hindu also, and part a crhistian and jew nazarite

i never eat grapes because of kosher lol

now that you mention im afraid of karma and going barefoot, as i fear people would hate me for their intolerance and not keep my karma high

that could sound funny for Thais because they tend to be tolerant, but try in some countries to go barefoot everyday in everyplace for many many years as i plan to youll see how much intolerance the sheep will have against you and how much hate you will raise

specially in the middle east, but in europe and eeuu its pretty rejected, only new zewland, australia, south africa in the past, solomon islands, india kind of and thailand kind of are as i know barefoot tolerance

probably there are more, specially the kind of tolerance

but he provided for a short time some amusement. now he is just coffee1.gif

If this is only about going barefoot, then your stated motives for assisting in a Buddhist Temple are less than honorable.

You make if sound as if you wish to pretend to be a Buddhist Monk without accepting the precepts or accepting the cultural rituals involved.

While you can assist as a Layperson, or even practice as a Novice or an Aspirant to become a monk, none of these will give you carte-blanch license to enter any establishment dressed as you like (unless you are accompanying an actual monk as their personal assistant -- but then you go where the monk goes).

Actually monks do not usually go barefoot here.

And no, you cannot be one, even a novice, without cutting your hair nor without convincing an abbott of your sincere interest in Buddhist teachnings, which seems unlikely.

If your hair is that important to you....

You are not ready.

Do you know much about the life of a monk?

im ready, im not ready for stupid dogma

BUDDHA is oftenly depicted with HAIR

ISNT IT?

i respect that monks cut their hair, but that must cut your hair?

its just dogma,

jews keep their hair long as to they teach reach obtain higuer levels of conciousness

photo-146535.gif?_r=1415096014

If this is only about going barefoot, then your stated motives for assisting in a Buddhist Temple are less than honorable.

You make if sound as if you wish to pretend to be a Buddhist Monk without accepting the precepts or accepting the cultural rituals involved.

While you can assist as a Layperson, or even practice as a Novice or an Aspirant to become a monk, none of these will give you carte-blanch license to enter any establishment dressed as you like (unless you are accompanying an actual monk as their personal assistant -- but then you go where the monk goes).

thats true its not honorable you are right

no i mean i would accept them, only the hair

monk personal assistant? thats seems interesting, thank you RichCor you helped me bro

av-14639.jpg?_r=0

Actually monks do not usually go barefoot here.

And no, you cannot be one, even a novice, without cutting your hair nor without convincing an abbott of your sincere interest in Buddhist teachnings, which seems unlikely.

many they do Sheryl (beautiful name)

thats what i thought thanks (about the hair)

i do meditate 7 hours per day, for taoism, which is similar to buddhism in many things isnt it?

Seems to read that i have no income no valid visa, place to stay and seek refuge in a budhist establishment but won'have my hair cut to actually say that i want to be a monk, no way mr try another country and religion.

im a taoist actually, but some hindu things specially tantric have similar and same things so im in part a hindu also, and part a crhistian and jew nazarite

i never eat grapes because of kosher lol

And either extremely confused, or a troll.

i want to go barefoot like them

Then just take off your shoes.

I don't see why bare-footed is desirable but bare-headed is not.

Bare-footed is completely natural. It requires no effort, no resources, no money for shoes, and no wasted time putting the shoes on and taking them off. They are unnecessary possessions.
Shaving one's head, on the other hand, does require an effort and some resources. It's an additional and unnecessary concern. However, during the times of the Buddha, and for many years later, there would have been a good practical reason for a monk, or a wandering ascetic living in the forest, to shave his head.... to avoid getting lice.
The great Bodhisattva, Manjushri, who is claimed to have raised the hill on which the 'monkey temple' of Swayambhunath was built in Kathmandu, supposedly did not shave his head. It is claimed that the monkeys that now swarm over the temple on a regular basis, are reincarnations of Manjushri's head lice. wink.png

Bare-footed is completely natural. It requires no effort, no resources, no money for shoes, and no wasted time putting the shoes on and taking them off. They are unnecessary possessions.
Shaving one's head, on the other hand, does require an effort and some resources. It's an additional and unnecessary concern. However, during the times of the Buddha, and for many years later, there would have been a good practical reason for a monk, or a wandering ascetic living in the forest, to shave his head.... to avoid getting lice.
The great Bodhisattva, Manjushri, who is claimed to have raised the hill on which the 'monkey temple' of Swayambhunath was built in Kathmandu, supposedly did not shave his head. It is claimed that the monkeys that now swarm over the temple on a regular basis, are reincarnations of Manjushri's head lice. wink.png

I believe shaving the head has a lot to do with giving up your obsession with "self".

How you look and individualism has little place in Buddhism.

Once you free yourself from concerns about how you look compared to others, your actions, thoughts, and purpose are available open to a less self centered purpose.

I believe this is also why most armed forces start training recruits by shaving their heads.

I believe shaving the head has a lot to do with giving up your obsession with "self".

How you look and individualism has little place in Buddhism.

Once you free yourself from concerns about how you look compared to others, your actions, thoughts, and purpose are available open to a less self centered purpose.

I believe this is also why most armed forces start training recruits by shaving their heads.

That's the typical explanation that is offered. However, if you think about it, such an explanation makes no sense in a modern environment with the availability of soap and water. Shaving the face is something that most men do every day in order to look nice and appeal to the opposit sex. Not shaving at all, or very rarely having a beard-trim and a haircut, is more indicative of a lack of concern about one's appearance.
One could cite instances of individuals who might deliberately refrain from shaving and cutting their hair, in order to 'stand out' and look different in an extreme way, with a beard reaching down to their waist. That could be considered an issue of ego, which would be against Buddhist principles. However, there are also instances of the opposite being the case, that is, people shaving both head and face as a personal trademark, like the actor Yul Brynner.
I'd say in general, and from personal experience, that a reluctance to shave face and head, and a reluctance to even have a haircut at all, is suggestive of a lack of vanity and is quite in accord with true Buddhist principles.

photo-26383.gif?_r=1406876954

Brit_Doggie

funny brit doggie how you seemed to support me in the beginning until i said "didnt understood that"

you get mad get out of the pm conversation, deleted the message in the post, and no, just because i can quote it copy paste i cant understand it

did it hurt your feelings or something? jesus christ

i was friendly and appreciated your comment didnt understood because my english is not perfect

i hope its not agressive passive behaviour now, well i dont give a if it actually is as i suppose

changing for supporting to "no way mr try another country and religion"

seriously? dont expect me to quote you more

photo-thumb-1922.gif?_r=0

Brucenkhamen

yes i respect the ones who save, either for aesthethics or for monks, but i dont respect that you must

photo-thumb-198206.jpg?_r=1434472988

faraday

no, i share the common connections and similatiries those religions have

but you are the first i see knowing the true meaning of internet troll

VincentRJ

we are designed from nature to be resistant to lice, lice is no real problem

thanks for the info of Bodhisattva, Manjushri

photo-thumb-147745.jpg?_r=1433249795

willyumiii

maybe, but buddha didnt shave his head and didnt believe in that HAHAHA!!

nor jesus, nor the intelligent jews wink.png

arm forces i believe do it in a sign of domination, but i really shouldnt be talking about it

VincentRJ

is more indicative of a lack of concern about one's appearance.

oh Vincent so girls have a lack of concern about ones appereance?? oh you illuminated me with that info

thats true, those dirty girls who never shave their heads or cut their hairs omg shame on them!!!

or those girls with hair till the waist who wnat to STAND OUT or be different in a extreme way such egos

i agree with your last quote

having short hair is a cultural thing, men cut their hair for tradition, girls have long hair for tradition, jews have long hair for intelligence and because they are great

also to all of you, im a jew nazarite and im forbidden to cut my hair

but u just in dogma, look

HAIR

247162_119766021699451_37942023535243326

HAIRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11781796_119766498366070_524080927863785

holy jesus omg i often ask myself if i like slipknot in a song say, "the only motherf*cker with a brain"

jesus and i have a superdotation in mathemathics but this is simple logic isnt it? you dont need a superdotation to realise buddha is depicted almost always with HAIRRR, even LONG hair

people urgh, i who have the power to illuminate people shall be the shepherd of the pure and innocent

That's the typical explanation that is offered. However, if you think about it, such an explanation makes no sense in a modern environment with the availability of soap and water. Shaving the face is something that most men do every day in order to look nice and appeal to the opposit sex. Not shaving at all, or very rarely having a beard-trim and a haircut, is more indicative of a lack of concern about one's appearance.

One could cite instances of individuals who might deliberately refrain from shaving and cutting their hair, in order to 'stand out' and look different in an extreme way, with a beard reaching down to their waist. That could be considered an issue of ego, which would be against Buddhist principles. However, there are also instances of the opposite being the case, that is, people shaving both head and face as a personal trademark, like the actor Yul Brynner.
I'd say in general, and from personal experience, that a reluctance to shave face and head, and a reluctance to even have a haircut at all, is suggestive of a lack of vanity and is quite in accord with true Buddhist principles.

i think i didnt understood you well and i said bullshit in the other post

i thought you said all men who do not shave their heads are indicative of a lack of concern, i didnt understood that you was saying many men as you are right

i dunno what happenned to me o.O haha

shame on me

i was saying mostly we are designed to have long hair, as women, and should be a normal thing, the intelligent knoww and keeps large

and its said its required for achieving higuer counciousness os something like that, by jews

also its said that have other many benefits

i think its a conspiracy to cut it in men

also i think men look fuglier with short hair, analogous to emma watson look fuglier with short hair

Emma-Watson-Short-Hairstyle-Blonde-Hair.

and men look beautiful in long hair, like roman reigns

also its logical that it has a purpose, being the only animals our hair grows so much must be a reason its logic

also in reality whats for men and whats for women its just culture, we should really be accepted as to go naked in streets as that is our anatomy and people get offended by their own anatomy

wearing a skirt is neutral, is not a womens thing, its just cultural

makeup is used by women but in reality is not a women thing just a piece of matter added to the face

painting nails etc

im only saying this out of shame of what i said in the post, sorry

lack of concern to not shave, many people are like that indeed except the intelligent, girls love long hair in themselves and men should to if not for brainwash tradition

and should be not by so many to stand out and being a extreme thing but a normal thing according to nature

i did not understood well, shame on me

Archived