Can monks drink coffee?

Acharn

When I retired from the Army and returned to Thailand, one of the things I had in mind was to spend some time as a monk. I never got around to it, and probably won't now, but I recently mentioned this desire in passing conversation with a young nephew. Since then the thought has been in my mind, and I've been reviewing the obstacles. One real deal breaker is my coffee addiction. I drink at least five cups a day and sleep like a baby at night. I think a couple of times when I was in my twenties, maybe once when I was in my thirties, I experienced "coffee jitters," a sense of overstimulation from drinking too much coffee. I am not sure, because it's been so many years ago I can't remember. I'm sure it happened once, but don't remember when. What I'm getting at is the question: "Can monks drink coffee all day long?" I know they cannot eat solid food after noon, but I understand it's OK for them to drink fruit juices to ease hunger pangs. I'm just wondering about coffee instead of fruit juice. First think in the morning? Any time not practicing meditation? Please don't tell me how horrible the abbot of your local monastery is or how corrupt the monks you know are. The question is about the rule for drinking coffee.

Coffee is classed as a medicine so can be stored by a monk and taken after noon as long as it's without milk.

However depending on how strict the monastery is you can't just make yourself a cup whenever you feel like it, you'll probably have to wait until it's offered or until a group shared afternoon tea.

One can detox from coffee addiction within a couple of days. Honestly if something this trivial is a stumbling block monastic life is not for you.

Why not go to the local wat? Offer to buy the head honcho a coffee. Then, no need to ask questions.

Not a bad idea. Just asking any of the older monks willing to talk to me (most of them are frightened I'll want them to speak English) would be enough, but I'd be happy to buy them a coffee if there were any place within walking distance that sells coffee.

Coffee is classed as a medicine so can be stored by a monk and taken after noon as long as it's without milk.

However depending on how strict the monastery is you can't just make yourself a cup whenever you feel like it, you'll probably have to wait until it's offered or until a group shared afternoon tea.

That's pretty much what I figured. Thanks for clarifying it for me.

One can detox from coffee addiction within a couple of days. Honestly if something this trivial is a stumbling block monastic life is not for you.

Yes, I probably should have been clearer in my original post that I no longer feel the desire as strongly as I did when I was younger. I don't think you understand addiction, though. Detoxing is not the same as ending/curing the addiction.

Hi A.

I think your question would be resolved to some extent by reflecting on "Your reason for wanting to to be a Monk" & by analyzing the "Food Reflection" often read prior to eating in order bring about a focus on Mindfulness.

At Retreats held at Wat Suan Mokkh a food reflection encouraging Mindfulness is read before any food is consumed.

With wise reflection I eat this food
Not for play, not for intoxication
Not for fattening, not for beautification
Only to maintain this body
To stay alive and healthy
To support the spiritual way of life

Thus I let go of unpleasant feelings
And do not stir up new ones
Thereby the process of life goes on
Blameless, at ease, and in peace

Once you begin to live a Monastic life with genuine Mindfulness you soon come to the realisation that the only importance of food/drink is to sustain ones body.

Any other purpose, be it caffeine addiction, conditioned habit, or appeasement of desire, is no longer relevant.

If I was a Monk, I'd be kidding myself if I went through the regalia and motions for years, whilst failing to devote my energy and focus on the task at hand.

In my personal life, I find that attachments to a raft of desires and aversions, is the minds crafty way of giving us an excuse not to dive into the deep end.

It is one of the most powerful reasons why very few Awaken.

Yes, I probably should have been clearer in my original post that I no longer feel the desire as strongly as I did when I was younger. I don't think you understand addiction, though. Detoxing is not the same as ending/curing the addiction.

One of the interesting aspects of a meditation practice is the ability to observe the addiction process operating.

Amazing what one can sit through so long as you don't think continuing to doing so will immediately kill you.

Smoking is allowed too, as is: buying computer games; Gucchi handbags; the odd Merc; yards of gold leaf; escaping political hot water; all paid for by selling bullet-deflecting amulets. Many monks join this profession as an excuse for not working. Thailand's poor are being systematically fleeced - see the story above about the obscene amount stolen from a Wat.

Smoking is allowed too, as is: buying computer games; Gucchi handbags; the odd Merc; yards of gold leaf; escaping political hot water; all paid for by selling bullet-deflecting amulets. Many monks join this profession as an excuse for not working. Thailand's poor are being systematically fleeced - see the story above about the obscene amount stolen from a Wat.

15 years ago when i came to live here I respected,in my ignorance , monks and the lives I thought they led.

That has evaporated over 15 years. The whole deal is a total myth ,not to say there are not legitimate monks who lead a frugal life but they are far outweighed by the majority who see it as a way to go

through life being responsible only for their own rewards. As MIke says supported by the poor ,oh the irony.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Monks also like their M-150. I remember all the Monk can smoke? Monk can ride motorbike? questions I've asked over the years. Quite the racket they have. We have one Monk that's been by a few times so he can spend the day drinking out back of the house away from prying eyes with a few chosen partners.

I spent some time at our local post office, while my wife had some business there.

I saw at 3 occasions monks sending a parcel.

All 3 put down some money and picked up the change.

Without blinking an eye - and the staff and other customers seemed to consider this normal.

This happened near The Golden Rock and The Footprints of Buddha, major buddhist holy places.

Archived