Hua Hin ranks seventh spot on the world's 21 best cities for retirement abroad

webfact

"Suffice to say that Hua Hin is perceived to have a much lower crime rate than Pattaya."

By two people. The contributors to the HH column number a whopping two. Almost enough for some bonafide anecdotal evidence.

Not that I disagree with the "findings", just they can't be statistically relevant.

Anyway, Pattaya is a brothel which, from some angles, and in a certain light, occasionally looks like a city.

Hua Hin is a town with just enough potholes to remind you you're in Thailand.

I'm guessing the "low crime rate" isn't the reason that Hua Hin makes the list but Pattaya doesn't !

And here I was thinking I was living in a "family friendly" destination ! rolleyes.gif

So what are the "crime rates"? Do you have any evidence to support.

You mean stats proving that Hua Hin's crime rate is lower than Pattaya's ? Besides simply comparing the number of reported crimes in each city to the perception of the people living in those cities ? The author of the report credits her editorial team and "network of correspondents" for the data used to rate the various factors on their list. I'm not going to splash out the cash for the "full" version of their report in the hopes that it will have definitive data on how they determined Hua Hin's crime rate to be "low".

A comparison on numeo.com shows this:

attachicon.gifcrime comp.jpg

Suffice to say that Hua Hin is perceived to have a much lower crime rate than Pattaya.

Note that when I previously researched crime stats to compare Pattaya with other major tourist destinations of a similar size, many reporting agencies suggested that crime is often under-reported in those places so as not to scare off tourists. In other places it isn't reported due to ineffective policing/record keeping/gov't administration (i.e. no one is bothering to keep track of those things).

As I was doing some research this morning I noticed this article is one of many (very many) "Best Places to Retire in 2015 articles".

There is the:

8 of the best places to retire abroad list;

10 Best Places to Retire in 2015 list;

18 Best Places to Retire Overseas in 2015 list; and the

20 Best Places to Live Overseas in 2015 list, just to note a few and we're just over halfway through the year !

True crime rate can only be expressed as:

An offense rate, or crime rate, defined as the number of offenses per 100,000 population, is derived by first dividing a jurisdiction's population by 100,000 and then dividing the number of offenses by the resulting figure. Not sure that the figures presented by numero are measured that way.

I would imagine that as the 'crime rate' in one goes up the 'fun level' in the other goes down. Do I really want to be bored sh?tless but 100% safe. No. I'll take my 'fun' and be careful.

I live in Hua Hin. It s very safe here, but, I am 59 year old male and it can be very frustrating here sometimes. It could be a real challenge to be 75 or 85 years old here. For anyone wanting to retire here don't forget the language barrier, huge tax on imported goods. Transportation is very dangerous in Thailand. UV index is 13 in Hua Hin. Extreme heat and humidity. Running the air con 24/7. Relentless mosquitoes. Filthy beaches and countryside. Air pollution with clouds of black diesel smoke in your face. Very poor western food in restaurants no matter where you go or what you pay. Poor quality of Thai products, poor quality construction. No rule of law. Of course cost of living is different for everyone but 45,000 baht per month is the lowest I would go or you are just sitting at home watching TV and eating cat food. smile.png

So I am pre-disposed to think the ladies of Panama are worth a shot - once I get back in action again, if I don't die of old age first, waiting for Tx at the VA maybe I will head South to the canal country. Mission: a comparative study of the charms, blessings, attributes of the Panamanian senioritas vs. Thai ladies. Somebody got to do it. Easier langauge to handle, easier Immigration regulations

I'll try to send y'all a report sometime in 2016 tell you the uncensored truth.

The last time I was in Panama was 1967 but I do remember the ladies down there being very leggy and attractive. However, that having been said, I am hearing good things about Ecuador

as a retirement destination so it might be worth checking out if you're in the area.

As with many of the so called Best Places to Retire lists, there are always drawbacks. Income, Standard of Living, Immigration.

HH meets the requirements of many expatriates, and retirees. However, paradise is its not. As previously mentioned, streets/roads are in shocking conditions. The infrastructure simply cannot cope with the many existing developments, never mind the newer ones. It is in MHO a faded old resort town, trading on the past. Many of the Thai people here are not even from this area, imports from Issan, and basically peasants with attitude, and aggressive and only interested in money.

HH restaurants, poor service, poor quality food, whether you go cheap or expensive. HH centre, a cesspool of rundown bars. Stores selling the same crap year in year out.

Your highly exaggerated negative description does not describe the Hua Hin I know. After 30-plus years of visiting and living in Thailand ... and two years of extensive research and visits looking for a new Thai city to buy a house and retire, I chose HH over everywhere else. Now I'm very happy to be living here ... although I wouldn't want to do it on $2K or $3K per month. And I'm happy to be only 2 hours drive from my BKK condo.

45,000 baht per month is the lowest I would go or you are just sitting at home watching TV and eating cat food.

Do you recommend any one brand of cat food over the others?

They have Friskies Brand here. Mackerel flavor is my favorite. It is sort of dry but If you add some cheap oyster sauce it really helps with the taste.

Medellin, Columbia? You cannot be serious about this list. Medellin is not safe for anyone.

Crime Rating: High

Crime Threats

Large cities in Colombia share many of the same problems that plague large cities around the world. The perception of wealth is a primary reason why criminals target Americans and other foreign nationals. On a daily basis, the most prevalent threat to Americans and other foreign nationals is street crime. The most common types of crime include, but are not limited to, muggings, assaults, cell phone theft, credit card fraud, and burglaries. Criminals are quick to resort to violence and commonly use knives and firearms. Crime can turn violent quickly, and most criminals carry one or more weapons; it is not uncommon for a victim to be seriously injured or killed when resisting a robbery.

Maybe better check a better source

Medellin, Columbia? You cannot be serious about this list. Medellin is not safe for anyone.

Crime Rating: High

Crime Threats

Large cities in Colombia share many of the same problems that plague large cities around the world. The perception of wealth is a primary reason why criminals target Americans and other foreign nationals. On a daily basis, the most prevalent threat to Americans and other foreign nationals is street crime. The most common types of crime include, but are not limited to, muggings, assaults, cell phone theft, credit card fraud, and burglaries. Criminals are quick to resort to violence and commonly use knives and firearms. Crime can turn violent quickly, and most criminals carry one or more weapons; it is not uncommon for a victim to be seriously injured or killed when resisting a robbery.

Maybe better check a better source

BWP3, among all the chat about Bangladeshi cat food and such, your post:

a) makes too much sense,

cool.png stands out like a sore thumb,

c) and comes as a welcome anomaly.

Whoever wrote this must have been basing judgements on the HH of ten years ago.

If anyone plans on living on a budget of $975 a month, they must be prepared for conditions just a few steps up from homelessness. Mind you, homelessness in a warm country is infinitely preferable to being stuck in Liverpool or Boston or.....[fill in your own preference] at any time of year.

Cuba is about the only safe place [for a gringo] in North, Central and South America. Alas, it is not possible to stay there long term.

And who would want to? The quality of life is so low in Cuba, why would anyone who had a choice want to live there? I visited many times, and usually could not wait to leave. No public transit that you would want to board, overpriced hotels, old, funky infrastructure, terrible wifi, horrific food, a heinous government, should I go on? Honestly, I could go on for hours. The culture is good, and the people are nice. But, why on earth would anyone want to live there?

I think the area south of Hua Hin is even better. The city of Prachuap Khiri Khan is amazing. Peaceful and charming. Super clean and a lot of festivals, beautiful beaches and great food. It does not have the nightlife that HH has. But, if you are in search of peace and quiet, take a look at PKK. Nearby mountains, national parks, lakes, and a rather pristine natural environment. And the local people really have pride in their area. It shows.

Archived