Windows 10 on Mac

george

Would recommend installing it in Parallels or VMware so it doesn't wipe out what you have. Then you can evaluate it to see how it feels. The insider preview is over and is where they were supplying a product key.

Or do I need to install Win 7 first? No way to clean install Win 10 from scratch?

Unfortunately not. Need a licensed version of Windows then go through the free upgrade path. The preview version may still be available out there somewhere. wink.png

Or do I need to install Win 7 first? No way to clean install Win 10 from scratch?

Unfortunately not. Need a licensed version of Windows then go through the free upgrade path. The preview version may still be available out there somewhere. wink.png

I installed the "Preview" on a VM, no prior OS. Though that required being enrolled in the 'program' and they've cut that off a week or so ago.

Surprised MS woudn't let you install it in trial mode.

For the current Win10 .iso their install directions seem to be insisting on a license key on hand.

I have it on my Mac Air. Used Parallels, then installed Win 10 off a usb drive. Registered Win and it is legal. Updated to the latest version today, with no issues. You need at least 2 gigs of ram reserved for Win 10 or it won't install.

Just got an e-mail from Microsoft Insider that you can buy it online or through distributors. So my error thinking one could only use the upgrade path.

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/cat/categoryID.70036700?OCID=WIP_r_Win10_Body_MSStore

Also now listed at Invadeit.com - http://www.invadeit.co.th/category/operating-systems-windows/

• 1 month later...

Virtualbox will give you the ability to run it in a VM for free.....

Yep, Microsoft gives free Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 10 virtual machines for Parellels, VirtualBox, and VMware. They run for 90 days, but just install what you want and then create a snapshot. When the 90 days is almost up you can revert to your snapshot. This is an easy way to do it, but if you really want Windows installed as a true OS, you'll need to use BootCamp.

Archived