Public acceptance in nuclear power is key to building such plants in Thailand

webfact

Nuclear energy is mid 20th century technology. Better for Thailand to be ahead of the curve than behind it.

They should be considering wind and solar ... it would be way cheaper and also no nuclear waste to deal with and increase costs.

Provencal co-op power would do the trick.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Please please please no to nuclear! !!

Can never get rid of the waste and processing is complex and risky.

I used to work with the damn stuff! !!

Me too. I guess we can both glow in the dark.

As for a previous poster saying nuclear power is carbon neutral !!! If you consider a full life cycle analysis - the process of mining and refining the fuel, the amount of concrete and high grade steel in the construction of the plant, maybe the fuel needed to ship the waste to a reprocessing plant (which would never ever be built in Thailand), and finally building storage facilities to safely keep it for 10,000 years. The carbon neutral debate is wide open and not proved either way as no one has, or been allowed to do a full life cycle analysis. Nuclear power stations were developed in the 50s for one reason only, to generate Plutonium, the power generation capacity was purely a by-product.

Be afraid. Be very afraid:-------OP

Well you would find it quite hard to get a more biased headline that that on an "open discussion" congrats to the editor

Then of course its followed by the usual Thai raciest stereotyping -----

The day Thailand operates a nuclear reactor will mark my last day in the Kingdom.

A country which to date cannot operate a functioning, safe, pedestrian crossing system within its urban areas is not one yet ready for the storage of radioactive material.

I was at Bumrungrad hospital last month---where a friend was having (a successful) triple heart bypass surgery --the nurse told me that it was one of 9 major surgery's that day including a brain tumour removal from someone whom they had flown in from Saudi Arabia for it.

Of course its a well known fact in every farang bar that no Thai person can tie up his own shoelaces unaided---they just don't have the intelligence to light up a 12 amp bulb. Let alone do anything on the level of any of the retired bar fly farangs that grace us with their presence here after retiring.

So the comments about how stupid they are, (from that section) is expected---I just surprised the Editor also brought into the stereotyping with a headline like that. Its a discussion they are having--no one needs to fear an open discussion on options.

--------

*btw--- no I am not a fan of the nuclear option--- Japan is without doubt one of the most hi Thec & safety concious countries in the world

Certainly not in my realm of expertise however I do have an opinion; surprise! If they build a full function nuclear power plant I hope they can come up with a better disposal method for all the nuclear waste than many countries have. America still has waste with no place to put it from the very first reactor. Secondly, if they are going to build one I do hope they look into the day it is no longer serviceable (supposedly 30 years but many countries are trying to run them 40 and 50 years with the expected leaks and venting of steam due to broken pipes) Two had to be shut down in the states this month because of leaks. Anyone who is going to build a Nuclear power plant should also look at how to build a pyramid for when the day comes the thing has to be shut down you might as well just build a pyramid over the sight for it will not be cleaned up in anyone's life time...

Now the good: Thorium Power is supposedly Safer for Nuclear Energy. It has been waiting in the wings for decades but my understanding is making bombs is not one of it's stated abilities... No wonder few have one !

Nuclear fission using thorium is easily within our reach, and, compared with conventional nuclear energy, the risks are considerably lower or so I have read. Again not my expertise but as Thailand is becoming buds with Russia and China in many more things let us all hope the are not sold a design they will surly regret later.

Consider this: Nuclear power using fuel involving uranium-235 and/or plutonium-239 has always been seen as killing two birds with one stone: reducing a countries dependence on importing their energy needs, and creating the fuel needed for nuclear bombs. Thorium power, on the other hand, just doesn't have bomb making military potential.

That's all I have heard/read and believe I have a very shallow understanding of.. Does make sense though, to me....

God forbid. Building one will come down to how many corners they can cut to fill the ministers in charge pockets. They are now in bed with China so they will get their needs from them.

What a disaster it would be to let Thai so called experts build it and contrôl it.

I was at Bumrungrad hospital last month---where a friend was having (a successful) triple heart bypass surgery --the nurse told me that it was one of 9 major surgery's that day including a brain tumour removal from someone whom they had flown in from Saudi Arabia for it.

Of course its a well known fact in every farang bar that no Thai person can tie up his own shoelaces unaided---they just don't have the intelligence to light up a 12 amp bulb. Let alone do anything on the level of any of the retired bar fly farangs that grace us with their presence here after retiring.

So the comments about how stupid they are, (from that section) is expected---I just surprised the Editor also brought into the stereotyping with a headline like that. Its a discussion they are having--no one needs to fear an open discussion on options.

--------

*btw--- no I am not a fan of the nuclear option--- Japan is without doubt one of the most hi Thec & safety concious countries in the world

Hmmm. You aren't really doing your case for supporting the level of Thai education and competence any favours if you don't know the difference between an amp and a volt. Apart from that, your rant was... interesting .

So what is the problem with nuclear power?All they have to do is let it be run by westerners ,,,,100%,,,

My personal problem with it is that it is not safe no matter who is running it, who built it or where it is located.

Well you would find it quite hard to get a more biased headline that that on an "open discussion" congrats to the editor

The day Thailand operates a nuclear reactor will mark my last day in the Kingdom.

A country which to date cannot operate a functioning, safe, pedestrian crossing system within its urban areas is not one yet ready for the storage of radioactive material.

--------

I understand that Fukushima was 1960s technology? Have we not advanced since that time?

More wasted oxygen......whilst a couple major players...Japan & Germany have decided to stop or reduce their dependence on nuclear energy, Thailand would be indebted for decades if only 1 power reactor was constructed.....and that after 10-20 years planning and developement.

Whether Thailand would be permitted to purchase the source is a major factor also.

The Philipines have a reactor, albeit rather old technology nowadays, but have been unable to purchase fuel for obvious reasons.

Renewable energy is the way of the future.....definately not coal, not nuclear......!

Exactly!!

It boggles my mind why Thais cannot make those logic deductions!!

More wasted oxygen......whilst a couple major players...Japan & Germany have decided to stop or reduce their dependence on nuclear energy, Thailand would be indebted for decades if only 1 power reactor was constructed.....and that after 10-20 years planning and developement.

Whether Thailand would be permitted to purchase the source is a major factor also.

The Philipines have a reactor, albeit rather old technology nowadays, but have been unable to purchase fuel for obvious reasons.

Renewable energy is the way of the future.....definately not coal, not nuclear......!

Exactly!!

It boggles my mind why Thais cannot make those logic deductions!!

Yeah right, just Thais eh.....

Tell me more about the BKK reactor powering X-Ray machines in TL and neighbouring countries . Because I don't believe you.

Entirely your choice. But where do you think the isotopes come from, if not from that nuclear reactor? I choose not to tell you more because the information is so easily available and then you don't have to trust me about it at all. The isotopes come from somewhere. Find out where.

Tell me more about the irradiation plants; do they use Cobalt or Caesium isotopes? Or something else? Because I don't believe you again. In any event, do you really not see a difference between the risks present in producing radiation sources for food plants and uranium based power-stations? Really?

Same answer here. Your belief has nothing to do with it and does not affect the quite modern food irradiation plant. You can CHOOSE not to believe, there's not a thing I can — or want to — do about that. I personally don't *believe" anything at all on this subject but I do know some facts, and know how to find more.

Here's something I do believe, though. I believe you also know how. If you actually do not know, tell me and then I'll show you - but of course you won't trust me because you BELIEVE I made a false statement. Why not prove I did? Or didn't?

Tell me more about the irradiation plants; do they use Cobalt or Caesium isotopes? Or something else? Because I don't believe you again. In any event, do you really not see a difference between the risks present in producing radiation sources for food plants and uranium based power-stations? Really?

Does Chernobyl not ring a bell somewhere in your mind? Fukushima? Three-mile island?

The point is that the education system in Thailand produces neither well-educated people nor competent people. This is indisputable. And yet you seem to be saying that they're OK with X-Ray machines so that's good enough. You cannot be serious.

Nuclear power has clear dangers, risks.... and others that are not entirely clear such as terrorist attacks. Yes, it has dangers. So does every form of producing energy. Coal in Krabi has ENORMOUS risks, much greater than nuclear. The risk of terrorism or similar is very real there, and in Songkhla. But that's just a one-off comment, not all that germane. Yes, of course you are right - nuclear power has risks, but it also instills massive, irrational fears in people that aren't justified but are as real as your strange beliefs. We're not Vulcans, but we can be MORE logical than 80% of this thread.

As I say, I don't think nuclear stands a chance in Thailand or in most places. I think it should, but it probably won't. Even though more people died in Ted Kennedy's car than at Three-Mile Island.

Fabulous, just fabulous

The Nuclear Society of Thailand (NST), the Faculty of Science, Kasetsart University and the Ministry Of Science and Technology jointly held a seminar on “Is Nuclear Power Plant Safe?”

Sent me back to 1989 and Steve Stevenson's one hit wonder and lyrics...

Atomic Playboys
We are Radiation Romeos......

Guess these academics have to do and say something to keep the funding alive in this consumerist era we live in

Good job, Thailand. Finally moving to the 21st century and getting nuclear power.

And the only people who think it's scary are thaivisa news topic creators and they only write it's scary so people would click their links

Hmmm. You aren't really doing your case for supporting the level of Thai education and competence any favours if you don't know the difference between an amp and a volt. Apart from that, your rant was... interesting .----Red queen

Your quite correct Red Queen----- I don't know the difference between the 2......& I am not even khon Thai--maybe I should just stick to the shoe tying analogy, I do get a little depressed the way the colonials tend to view the "Natives" especially on this forum.....in the short time I have lived here (16 years) I have been around so many competent Thai people, in different professions. Even down to the girl in the bar who left school at 12 & speaks 4-5 languages--mainly to the farang who after 20 years here still finds it difficult to order a beer in Thai.

I find this country such a nice place to reside in----I just get blown away by the people that get up every morning, just looking to post something negative about it.

Show, show, show....face, face, face.

In stead of hiding from the sun, use her.

You are suggesting using the greatest nuclear reaction the human race has ever known to produce power????

My god....tear up your Green party membership card!!

Lets try wind powered turbines first, take baby steps.

It is amazing how far behind almost (almost) everyone in this alleged discussion is.

Wind powered turbines have been producing electricity into the national grid for years. Chatuchak's functioning, accident-free nuke reactor effectively powers most of the x-ray machines in this and neighbouring countries. Bangkok's nuke plant ALSO produces the isotopes for probably the most modern and efficient food irradiation plant in Asia, which is why so much Thai food is certified for export.

And yes to some ignoramus up there ^^ rice is irradiated and is, indeed "nuked" before it leaves for most markets, including the US. The government doesn't deny it - the government brags about subjecting rice to radiation, along with tonnes of fresh fruit and vegetables. It's almost impossible that you haven't eaten some of that fine radiation yourself since so much of it gets on the local market, by design.

With current knowledge and possible public/private spending, enough electricity to meet demand will not, CAN not be produced from the standard, unimaginative methods so tiringly brought up over and over - wind, solar, waves.... It can NOT meet demand for generations, and that's if there are technological inventions and development we currently know nothing about. We may be able to adapt, but not (say) in 20 years.

In that 20 years, nuclear COULD be set up to be sustainable for many, many further generations. I doubt strongly it will be, but the thing is I *know* wind/solar/wave won't be. And I know you're as eager to charge your phone from a plug-in charger as I am, and as eager to watch a ball game on your electric TV set as I am and as joyful to log on to Thai Visa on your new-fangled electric computer as I am.

That's why the marvelous, developed carbon plants will be used into the foreseeable future. They are all that actually work, now or in the near (50-year) future, except for nuclear which most people view as most people here view - with a combination of ignorance and uninformed opposition - which will drive actual events anyhow. I've got well past hating nuclear ignorance, it's just a fact and it will drive government policy for now, for which I'll shrug and breathe that lovely coastal coal-flecked air from the power plant along with y'all.

Tell me more about the BKK reactor powering X-Ray machines in TL and neighbouring countries . Because I don't believe you.

Does Chernobyl not ring a bell somewhere in your mind? Fukushima? Three-mile island?

The point is that the education system in Thailand produces neither well-educated people nor competent people. This is indisputable. And yet you seem to be saying that they're OK with X-Ray machines so that's good enough. You cannot be serious.

Another irrelevant rant as per usual.

Chernobyl etc do ring a bell...of course they do.

Do not the deaths from car accidents prior to the introduction of seat belts and air bags also ring a bell.

Of course they do.

Thailand produces neither well-educated nor competent people. This is indisputable.

Really??.....who do you think runs the oil refineries and power plants in Thailand?

You seem to be very similar to a previous poster who simply cannot accept that the cold war is over and now needs to move on to another cause to satisfy whatever is lacking in your sad life.

So what is the problem with nuclear power?All they have to do is let it be run by westerners ,,,,100%,,,

My personal problem with it is that it is not safe no matter who is running it, who built it or where it is located.

I can sympathise with your concerns.

But IMHO they are unfounded generally speaking.

I worked with a few Swiss guys many years ago.

Most of their power(in Switzerland) came from a combination of nuke and hydro power.

The nuclear power stations are built below massive dams.

At night time..the lowest electrical demand period..they would use massive pumps to pump water from reservoirs into the dams using the electricity from the nukes.

In the morning when the power usage peaked they would generate using hydro power from the water in the dams . Same in the evenings.

That way they kept the nukes on base load and humming along quite nicely.

Ever heard of Swiss nuclear incident?

Many of the US and I suspect the old USSR navy aircraft carriers and submarines are nuclear powered. Don't hear too much about incidents with them.

--------

I understand that Fukushima was 1960s technology? Have we not advanced since that time?

Some of us have ....mentally....unfortunately not all posters it seems.

"...10 million people were evacuated today in Thailand as radiation levels from the Samut Prakan reactor reached levels not seen since the Fukushima Nuclear Accident of 2011... Experts say the exclusion zone due south of Bangkok will be uninhabitable for 57 years... The Thai government says the claims are overstated and that there is no danger..."

it is really sad here. Thais are so uneducated that they truly believe this is something they could achieve. They can't even build roads properly.

There is no rule of law. There is human trafficking here and you want the same people to have access to plutonium? HAHAHAHAHAHA.

Maybe the airlines can oversee operations.

Look. Japan do. America do. Not hard.

Chernobyl.

Three Mile Island.

Fukushima.

Bangkok.

and please don't compare Thailand with Switzerland.

and please don't compare brilliant western educated Thai doctors to the government idiots who will be put in charge of this monster.

If the Japanese can't do it, what chance do the Thais have. ZERO.

Well goodbye then because Thailand already has a functioning nuclear reactor in Chatuchak. It was comissioned in 1961 and has been operating from 1962 until today.

So don't let the door hit your dumbass on the way out.

The functioning nuclear reactor at Atom for Peace is a small boiling water reactor.....used for reaearch only.....hardly worth a mention, as these quite common in developing countries.

Hardly worth a mention???......

The serious radiological accident in Thailand occurred in Samut Prakan province in 2000......

When sealed radioactive sources are no longer in use, and there is no intention of using them again, they are usually called “disused sealed radioactive source” or “DSRS”. Worldwide, the number of sources that are considered disused is very large [2] and warrants dedicated efforts for their management in a safe and secure manner. If lost or not properly controlled, disused sealed sources can be a threat to human health and the environment. Exposure to large doses of radiation from an unshielded high activity source can be lethal or cause severe radiation injury. If the source capsule is damaged the radioactive material can be released and dispersed, resulting in contamination to the environment, social and economic impacts. 2. Why we need the safety and security management on DSRS The serious radiological accident in Thailand occurred in Samut Prakan province in 2000, when cobalt- 60 head of a disused teletherapy unit was partially dismantled, and taken from that storage to be sold as scrap metals [3]. Three victims died and 10 people received high doses from the radioactive source. It was an expensive lesson to be learned in Thailand.......

So what does one do with the waste? Store it for the next millenium??

http://iopscience.iop.org/1742-6596/611/1/012014/pdf/1742-6596_611_1_012014.pdf

Archived