Breathalyzer today

i claudius

Driving along the railway road today I got stopped at about 7pm ,blow he said,so I said where? I always thought they stuck it in your mouth,but it seems you just vaguely blow into a large hole in the end without touching it,well after 3 attempts,I finally got green, lucky I hadn't touched a drop,but it seems they must be cracking down anyone else had the pleasure of the breathalyzer?

I have experienced that test at the same location and time twice in the past few weeks, and the first time I got an amber light, however I hadn't touched alcohol for several days.

No questions asked though, other than, you didn't drink sir.

I have experienced that test at the same location and time twice in the past few weeks, and the first time I got an amber light, however I hadn't touched alcohol for several days.

Railway road is quite long - what location exactly?

Railway road is quite long - what location exactly?

At the cross section near the water office in Naklua.

I passed there the same night but I was driving a car so they never bothered to stop me , only bikes were waved over. I had one beer earlier so happy about that. Drive a car and your almost invisible to the cops.

An amber light signifies incredibly bad breath. not alcohol.

I passed there the same night but I was driving a car so they never bothered to stop me , only bikes were waved over. I had one beer earlier so happy about that. Drive a car and your almost invisible to the cops.

I, and all other cars, was stopped twice at that location while driving the car.

I was driving a car as well,first time I have been stopped,except when I have done something wrong

A friend of mine was stopped at Pattaya Tai and 3rd road a few months ago. He had a bad cold, so hadn't been drinking, but he had to blow. He was in a car.

I hear there's one on Tai and 2nd road quite often also. I've seen them at a variety of places around town. Went through one Saturday, some where on Khaonoi, but only scooters were being stopped.

Apparently all you need to do is is yell at whoever is trying to breathalyze you and chastise him. "How DARE you try to breathalyze me ! Don't you know WHO I AM ! It doesn't matter that I'm in "civilian" clothing and driving a civilian car - you should automatically KNOW who I am and that I am not drunk and therefore should just wave me through. You have no right to stop me !"

I mean, if it works for senior police officers it should work for everyone else right ?

Is there any basis to the rumor going around that if you fail the test you go straight to jail for 30 days ?

I've never heard of that one. I got pulled at the start of this year ( 2 small cans of archa and a reading of 134...! ), and got put on the back of the truck to the Police station. Paid 10K bail (which was later returned), and next day court (read: turn up of your own free will, get put behind bars again, this time at the amphur, sign a paper and fined. 3250 baht in this case). Btw, after paying bail I was allowed to ride home of the scooter that evening.

Is there any basis to the rumor going around that if you fail the test you go straight to jail for 30 days ?

I've never heard of that one. I got pulled at the start of this year ( 2 small cans of archa and a reading of 134...! ), and got put on the back of the truck to the Police station. Paid 10K bail (which was later returned), and next day court (read: turn up of your own free will, get put behind bars again, this time at the amphur, sign a paper and fined. 3250 baht in this case). Btw, after paying bail I was allowed to ride home of the scooter that evening.

So was that penalty high enough to persuade you not to do it again?

The penalty the first offence is 3,000 for motorbike and 6000 for car unless test over 150. Also if you are driving any vehicle and have accident you are not covered by insurance for six months (regardless drunk or sober). Can still drive through.. Which to me is bat s**t crazy! A second offence and they are not nearly so generous..

Don't use mouth spray also as you can be positive without drinking anything !

dont eat fishermans friend before you blow as the meter will go off the chart

What may help is to eat dextrose and hyperventilate. The, just avoid the well known checkpoints. There are some hot-spots. Plan your route and drive foresighted.Then, drive on the right side of the street or even better, hide behind other vehicles. gigglem.gif

So was that penalty high enough to persuade you not to do it again?

I didn't break the law. As I mentioned it was 2 small cans (over a period of about 1h 20 mins with food). But yeah, I don't travel anywhere now. I wanted to challenge them that their machine needed calibrating but they would have none of it. They said "Farang lie because machine say number". You don't have to be guilty to get shafted.

I told friends saying "you probably won't believe me but it's only 2 small cans I promise". A week later another farang got pulled in a similar way at the same point for 1 beer. So I feel vindicated to a degree, but still, I don't trust the money making machines they use.

Btw, they put what I would guess to be about 70 people in there that night. I know drink riding/driving is rife, but this was a village road way out of the city. I just don't buy it.

Think the limit here is .50 1 pint

Ive been breathalised once ,but cleared,friend put 500 baht in a bag for the cop to search Nice if an app was put on the phone"they are here" sort of stuff

East pattaya seems to checked far more often than Patts itself

i did testing with an hand held breath analysiser for 12 months.When i was way over the limit ,I then had a glass of tomato juice.It dropped .It dropped down very quickly.A second glass masked the alcohol to a point well below .05.Now that was overseas where the alco meters are tested on a regular basic and any police office using them has to be certified.Dropping from .08 to .05 was done with 1 glass to get lower, it took a second glass of tomato juice.Contrary to what many may at first think,tomatoes are alkaline not acidic.Buy an aloc meter and try it at home..

Over here I never drink and drive as was the case back home.A motorbike taxi is so cheap here why risk it and other peoples lives.

I got stopped at the beginning of April.

I had only intended to have one beer when watching the Sunderland/N*******le derby at the starlight bar.

I had one large chang. However after Sunderland winning I decided to head down Soi LK Metro to celebrate.

I was in Queen agogo for 3 hours and had six draft beers which would make it all in the equivilant of about 4 pints over 4 hours (including the beer watching the match). I felt okay to ride my motorcycle.

Got stopped near the temple in the road directly opposite the Pattaya Tai junction.

I was resigned to my fate when much to my delight the reading came in at 46.5.

The incident shook me up however and now I stick to a limit of 4 draft beers if I am riding home myself.

Archived