Box jellyfish sting kills woman in Koh Pha-ngan

Lite Beer

Box jellyfish sting kills woman in Koh Pha-ngan
The Nation

KOH PHANGNAM: -- A Thai tourist has died after being stung by a box jellyfish while swimming off Koh Pha-ngan in Surat Thani on Friday night.

Following the 9.30pm report of the incident, Koh Pha-ngan police went to Koh Pha-ngan Hospital and learned that the 31-year-old woman was dead.

Police learned that the woman had travelled to the island from Bangkok with friends and went swimming at around 8pm in Tambon Ban Tai and was stung.

One of the world's most poisonous creatures, this cube-shaped jellyfish's sting can cause extreme pain, muscle numbness, stomach and back muscle spasms, nausea, vomiting, chest tightness and death.

Koh Pha-ngan Hospital's Dr Thanuwat Tippinit warned that this type of jellyfish was more prevalent during rains.

Thanuwat said the proper way to treat a sting with first aid involved pouring vinegar onto the wound.

Last August, a five-year-old French boy died from a box jellyfish sting on Koh Pha-ngan.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Box-jellyfish-sting-kills-woman-in-Koh-Pha-ngan-30265700.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-08-02

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is there any maps avaiable over where jellyfish are more common in Thailand ? Not every beach resort I suppose.. Is it more of them this month than others?

Faraday. The Australian St Johns still say Vinegar is the best first cause of treatment, to stop the other stingers going off. If no vinegar then salt water BUT don't use fresh water as that may well activate the dormant stingers.

The point I was trying to make was. They the local authorities know that there is a chance of box jellyfish in the area hence the signs BUT they don't seem to go the extra steps necessary to try and ensure the safety of the public. It can't be cost because let's face it, it ain't expensive to knock together something like in the picture I posted!

I have not seen in Thailand, but in the UK many pub restaurants have little sachets of vinegar, maybe worth while putting a few in you first aid kit.

Just to point out as it has been mentioned in the past a golden shower by your best friend is a myth and could cause the stingers to release more poison.

Does anyone remember the incident where an Aussie tourist died at Koh samoi island?

This would have been two years ago.

Someone ? had removed the stinger warning sign on the beach there.

The motive was said to be bad tourist publicity.

Tragic.

Q,,, How long would the presence a vinegar emergency station last at any tourist beach?

To ,solve, the problem I think only possibility is to install a big large fishing net , to hold the jelly fish back , and make swimming areas sorounded by nets , I think this should be a possible mission to realeize , when I ask in pharmacy about jelly fish bytes , only give me a cream for normal insect bytes , not sure the antiserum is avalible for the public?

In japanese sea the jellyfish have higest concentration , I see in national geographic !

Looks like the sweet mmm my paradise is gone!

To ,solve, the problem I think only possibility is to install a big large fishing net , to hold the jelly fish back , and make swimming areas sorounded by nets , I think this should be a possible mission to realeize , when I ask in pharmacy about jelly fish bytes , only give me a cream for normal insect bytes , not sure the antiserum is avalible for the public?

In japanese sea the jellyfish have higest concentration , I see in national geographic !

Most box jellyfish are so small they ACTUALLY get through nets!

So do they have emergency vinegar stations like Australia has?

I'm guessing NO!

Have you seen the price of malt vinegar here ?

I'm pretty sure it's not malt vinegar that they use, white vinegar is extremely cheap!

Read the label on Thai vinegar bottles 10 % vinegar

90% water

I'm guessing NO!

I'm pretty sure it's not malt vinegar that they use, white vinegar is extremely cheap!

Read the label on Thai vinegar bottles 10 % vinegar

90% water

And you point?

I'm guessing NO!

Funny the picture you supplied clearly shows malt and not white vinegar,still a terrible way to go.

RIP.

I'm guessing NO!

add some ugly taste to weniger,

otherwise it would be gone in minutes !

You are in Thailand !!

This discusses that Vinegar shouldn't be used & has a link to the ARC, but that doesn't page doesn't exist.

When I went directly to the ARC & searched for "Vinegar & Jellyfish", nothing was found. Bit odd.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-04-08/vinegar-makes-box-jellyfish-stings-worse-aust-researchers/5374274

Whatever the answer is for the Primary Treatment of stings, a consistent response is needed, with the treatment made available on every beach.

Are the Lifeguards trained in how to deal with stings?

Whereas, this says that Vinegar should be used, & is from 2014.

http://www.emedicinehealth.com/jellyfish_stings/page4_em.htm

Most box jellyfish are so small they ACTUALLY get through nets!

Believe your confusing Box jellyfish with Irukandji. The Oz solution...

http://dagsguide.com/Stinger-Net-Swimming-Enclosures.php

Poor woman, RIP. What a horrible, tragic death.

The description of the pain is horrific: http://www.quora.com/What-is-it-like-to-be-stung-by-a-box-jellyfish

More info here: http://www.outback-australia-travel-secrets.com/box-jellyfish.html

The message is very clear.

Anybody going swimming anywhere in tropical waters should always take a bottle of vinegar to the beach.

It's far more important than beer.

Friends in N.Q. have one which they use off the stern of their boat.They love it.

Cardiac arrest from the agony is the cause of death.I have known people who have survived hits and they seriously were begging to be killed.

Poor woman, RIP. What a horrible, tragic death.

The description of the pain is horrific: http://www.quora.com/What-is-it-like-to-be-stung-by-a-box-jellyfish

More info here: http://www.outback-australia-travel-secrets.com/box-jellyfish.html

The message is very clear.

Anybody going swimming anywhere in tropical waters should always take a bottle of vinegar to the beach.

It's far more important than beer.

Jacko, the above is correct. In the 15 years I had in the NT, and as an active member for a number of those years of the Gove SLSC, standard vinegar was always on hand. If I went bush I always had a 2 litre bottle in my vehicle and 2x2 in my boat. Poured on generously it negates the ability of the literally millions of minute stingers to inject the venom. After that one attends to the standard medical practice of attending to the patient comfort with reassurance and EAR/CPR if necessary. It is very painful although I personally have not experienced said pain - but seen enough victims including my own daughter. For what it is worth, divers (SCUBA) used lycra suits (commonly known as 'stinger suits') to provide protection. Believe me, they work. Full body, narrow area of the neck left exposed (alas,very bad place to get a tentacle sting) and the back of the hands and narrow spot near the ankles exposed - you'd have to be stiiff to cop it in those spots. In closing, although 'stingers' are seasonable we assumed they'd always be about. Witnessed: post dive, one bloke disrobed, dived off the stern, bang! We'd all had stinger suits on and nothing - came in at the same place he decided to have a 'dip'. No probs in the end thank goodness. Hope this assists. My experiences.

Archived