New Visa Rules Confirmed

Foreigners from countries qualifying for visas on arrival can come in and out of the country as many times as they like with a visa on arrival, but can stay for a maximum of 90 days in any six month period.

MUSIC TO MY EARS :-D

It looks like RIGHT NOW the only folks who can get a 90 day visa on arrival are from

1. BRAZIL

2. CHILE

3. KOREA (Rep. of)

4. PERU

Everyone else gets only 30 or 15 day visa

So on October 1, do all the other countries get the 90 day visa on arrival??

those countries offer Thais visa on arrival, so is reciprocated with 90 days for those country's citizens. Used to be 90 days for NZ as well until NZ changed to must apply for VISA to visit.

So...would doubt there will be any changes; don't tell too many of the non working english teaching/dive fraternity about this, or we will start another 50 pages of how Thailand is so unfair to give Peruvians 90 days when they only get 30 on arrival.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Loas Visa Run......

Have been staying in chiang mai fo 2 years on 30 day visa's from mae sai. Now just done a visa run to laos vientiane, managed to get a 60 day tourist ok but my passport was stamped with

" may not recieve a visa next time" asked the the embassy what it mean't , they said if i come back in 60 days they won't issue a new visa. But i could get just a 30 day entry visa.

So looks like it's going to be 3 months in 3 months out wherever you go ....

Thinking about cambodia now and forgeting greedy thailand... any suggestion to wheres good?

With that 2 year history most places will be tough on you. A new passport might be a worthwhile idea. :o

• 2 weeks later...
New visa rules confirmed

PHUKET: -- New rules limiting stays in Thailand on “visas on arrival” to 90 days over any six month period were confirmed at a September 15 meeting of Immigration Department Chiefs in Bangkok. The new policy will go into effect on October 1.

In a related development, the Royal Thai Consulate in Penang, Malaysia, has stopped issuing double-entry tourist visas.

Pol Lt Col Pipat Pongpan, an Inspector at Phuket Immigration Office, told the Gazette, “Anyone who has already stayed 90 days on visa-on-arrival permits does not need to worry. We will start counting the days from October 1.

“[Foreigners from countries qualifying for visas on arrival] can come in and out of the country as many times as they like with a visa on arrival, but can stay for a maximum of 90 days in any six month period. If they stay 90 days then they must leave for 90 days before they are entitled to another visa on arrival. They can, however, go and request a tourist visa from a Royal Thai Embassy or Consulate abroad and come back into the country,” he said.

“Extensions above the 90-day limit may be granted in exceptional cases, such as if the tourist is suffering from an illness or involved in a lawsuit,” he added.

“No new investment visas will be issued after October 1. However, existing visas in this category may be extended if the holder still has funds of 3 million baht and is still doing business in Thailand,” Col Pipat said.

Tourist visas are still available, for a fee, at Thai embassies and consulates in neighboring countries. The Royal Thai Consulate in Penang, however, will now issue only single-entry 60-day tourist visas. An official at the consulate said that an order had been sent down from Consul Pramote Pramoonsab to cease issuance of double-entry tourist visas, which allow a total stay of up to 120 days.

Double-entry tourist visas are at present still available in the Thai Consulate in Kota Bharu and Thai Embassy in Kuala Lumpur, however.

A source in the Visa and Travel Document Division, Department of Consular Affairs, Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA), said that the move by the consulate in Penang is not due to any sweeping changes in MFA policy.

The decision whether or not to issue double-entry tourist visas rests solely at the discretion of each diplomatic mission, the source explained.

--Phuket Gazette 2006-09-21

Somebody wrote: "Sorry to sound bitter but I am.

House bought, legal marriage, regular blood donor, volentary English teacher no criminal record, no burden to the Thai taxpayer clearly not enough anymore.

What the crap more can they expect from us?"

I just wonder what the regulations are in country the writer originally comes from.

I have been 38 months consecutive on visa runs to Mea Sai. Previously I worked in Thailand with the proper paper work in place. [work permit, tax certificate, Non-Immigrant B visa] Then retired.

Went to the Chiang Mai Immigration and asked them what documents I needed to stay in Thailand.

Officers very friendly, helpful and explained in detail.

Visited my Dutch Embassy in Bangkok to officially verify my income from Holland.

Returned to the Immigration in Chiang Mai, within 5 minutes they assessed my paper work, [Dutch Embassy statement, Thai bank account with B. 72.000 in it] and kept my passport, asked me to return in 3 days. In 3 days I received my Non-Immigrant O visa promptly and with a smile.

I think [and thought before] that the Thai Immigration is correct. People who apply to the rules are dealt with grace and understanding. All the "new" rules are nothing more or less than what you would expect to have found in your own country of origin.

I find it logical that if you work in Thailand, you obtain a work permit, pay tax and have a Non-Immigrant B visa.

Foreign bar owners, travel guides, diving instructors, teachers, etc. who earn a substantial income, compared to the average income of a Thai national, should be made to do so. And I often wonder why all these "moaners" are here in the first place, as I take it, they came here out of their own free will. Or may not!!!

I live in Thailand since 1988 after visiting more than 40 countries around the globe and in each of those countries, I could have settled... I never had any regrets chosing Thailand.

Dutchdellboy; yes but there are multiple groups that slip through the cracks of the rules. Enough money but no "provable" income comes to mind with the new marriage rules. (stock trader Etc.).

Also; an entire group of single men/women under 50 financially independent or with pension/rental income/ownership in company profits from abroad.

Retirement visa wants the 800k in account for 3 months. So the 3 month O visa one might have gotten at embassy prior, will expire before one can apply for extension in Thailand...

As you can see many gaps.

Cheers!

Went to the Chiang Mai Immigration and asked them what documents I needed to stay in Thailand.

Officers very friendly, helpful and explained in detail.

Visited my Dutch Embassy in Bangkok to officially verify my income from Holland.

Returned to the Immigration in Chiang Mai, within 5 minutes they assessed my paper work, [Dutch Embassy statement, Thai bank account with B. 72.000 in it] and kept my passport, asked me to return in 3 days. In 3 days I received my Non-Immigrant O visa promptly and with a smile.

Dutch,

Just for clarification, are you saying you converted your 30-day no-visa-required stamp into a Non Imm 'O' -- and that was it? Or, in addition to paying 2000 bt for this conversion, you paid another 1900 bt for a one-year extension of stay based on retirement or family support?

Besides bank book, did they require a bank letter attesting to amount and foreign source?

What about a medical certificate -- heard this is no longer required (but a lot of BS floating around).

Thanx.

I think [and thought before] that the Thai Immigration is correct. People who apply to the rules are dealt with grace and understanding. All the "new" rules are nothing more or less than what you would expect to have found in your own country of origin.

Absolutely!

Obey the rules and everything will be fine. If you have a slight problem, just be polite and ask for help! If you've nothing to hide then you're OK!

Absolutely!

Obey the rules and everything will be fine. If you have a slight problem, just be polite and ask for help! If you've nothing to hide then you're OK!

To the three people above who have sent a reply: Firefan , Jim Grant and Backpack Thailand

Backpack Thailand is absolutely correct ... be polite and ask for help .... they gave it to me.

Firefan Jobs: I have no clue if a stock trader living in Thailand can not get a work permit .... ask them! I mean Immigration. Or prove that his/her income is sufficient to meet the Thai standards. The B. 800.000 or B. 400.000 for legally married people seems to be no problem. I told them I do not wish to have such sums in my Thai Bank account. And I am sure I will not have any problems on the 23rd of December when my 90 days are up. ....

Jim: yes I forgot to mention, I went to the McCormick hospital to get a certificate of good health, took 10 minutes and cost B. 50 ... they pumped up my arm and told me I have high blood pressure ... I also went to my Thai bank and they issued a statement that I was a client since 19.. and that at present, I had B 72.000 in my savings account [but that could have been easily less or more]

At the Immigration I had to copy the last two pages of my Thai savings account book so that they could see that money from overseas came into my account at irregular intervals..... furthermore I told them that for nearly all payments I make, I use an ABN-AMRO world pass. I can not remember they asked me any other questions, but I do remember that they were very polite and helpful. It seems to be very useful to have your Embassy issue a statement, in my case a statement of my combined yearly income from Holland, to pass their requirements. Where and into which accounts was not asked.

And yes, I went from 38 visa runs straight into Non-Immigrant O and it did cost me B. 2000 only. I took my old passports with me in case they wanted to see Non-Immigrant B visa's in previous ones, but it was not asked.

HOW DOES IT REALLY WORK?

Can someone pls explain how does the new "90-day stays in 6 months' really work?

Does it mean that:

1) I can stay up to a total of 90 days over several entries in, say January to June and then repeat the 90 days stay from July to December, without having to pre-apply for any visa permit?

2) After staying a total of 90 days over several entries in January to June, I must stay away from Thailand for the next 90 days before I can return and get a tourist visa on arrival?

3) Alternatively if I want to come back to Thailand after completing my 90-day stay, I need to pre-apply for a visa prior to entiering Thailand again, say in the 7th month?

Pls help to explain.

Can someone pls explain how does the new "90-day stays in 6 months' really work?

Does it mean that:

1) I can stay up to a total of 90 days over several entries in, say January to June and then repeat the 90 days stay from July to December, without having to pre-apply for any visa permit?

2) After staying a total of 90 days over several entries in January to June, I must stay away from Thailand for the next 90 days before I can return and get a tourist visa on arrival?

3) Alternatively if I want to come back to Thailand after completing my 90-day stay, I need to pre-apply for a visa prior to entiering Thailand again, say in the 7th month?

1. Yes. If within any six–month period you wish to stay in Thailand for no more than 90 days, you can achieve this with any number of visa-exempt entries you choose to make during these six months.

2. No. If within any six-month period you have stayed in Thailand for no more than 90 days based on visa-exempt entries, you are free to enter again already during the 7th month without a visa. Please not that a floating 6-month period is used, not fixed half-calendar-year periods.

3. No. If during the first six months you stayed in Thailand for no more than 90 days based on visa-exempt entries, your next entry during the 7th month can again be without a visa. However, if after staying already 90 days within 6 months based on visa-exempt entries you wish to enter once more during the same six-month period, you need to get a tourist visa from a Thai consulate for you new entry.

--------------

Maestro

HOW DOES IT REALLY WORK?

Does it mean that:

Pls help to explain.

These questions show how f**king complicated this is going to get.

In order to verify if a punter has been here 90 days or less over the previous 6 month period they will have to count back 6 months and establish exactly how many days in those 6 months the punter has been in Thailand.

Lets use an interesting example. A punter arrives at the airport or other border post and it's established that he has stayed exactly 91 days over the last 6 months....and they tell him "sorry Sir, can you come back tomorrow". :D:D:o

These questions show how f**king complicated this is going to get.

In order to verify if a punter has been here 90 days or less over the previous 6 month period they will have to count back 6 months and establish exactly how many days in those 6 months the punter has been in Thailand.

Lets use an interesting example. A punter arrives at the airport or other border post and it's established that he has stayed exactly 91 days over the last 6 months....and they tell him "sorry Sir, can you come back tomorrow". :D:D:o

There’s already talk that some of the new rules may be reviewed and changed, hopefully for the better for those who need it.

--------------

Maestro

This is the 21st century and Thailand is stepping up, 'punters' are not part of the programz. It is simple with a few computers,internet connection, and a database to keep track of everyone. Officers will swipe your passport and computer screen will tell them what to do with you. I could code everything including db in 1 week.

Went to Chiang Mai Immigration at the end of last week, for a 365-day retirement-extension to my O-A visa, and was in/out within an hour, including a multiple re-entry stamp.

They were very keen to say, that I should "tell all your friends", about having at least the 800k in the bank for the full 3 months, before my next visit, in a year's time.

I asked whether the same would apply, to my friend on a married-with-kids extension, and they confirmed that he would need his 400k in the bank for 3 months too.

So I would draw the conclusion that they are serious about this, and currently intend to apply it, for those of us who use the cash-in-the-bank method, rather than proving a pension income-per-month.

This is the 21st century and Thailand is stepping up, 'punters' are not part of the programz. It is simple with a few computers,internet connection, and a database to keep track of everyone. Officers will swipe your passport and computer screen will tell them what to do with you. I could code everything including db in 1 week.

The computer coding is not what takes time. The system has to be implemented at all border crossings and all immigration offices, some places, equipment has to be installed and staff has to be trained. That process takes time in any country, and I think we can be certain that it will not be any faster here, unless they have prepared for this already.

While I think that the new rules make sense, at least for Thailand, implementation will obviously have to take some time. There are also situations that will have to be prepared, sometimes in cooperation with the neighbouring countries.

I went to Poipet yesterday, and asked myself the question: what will they do with me if they won't let me in? We can be rather certain that Cambodian immigration is not going to count the number of days that I've stayed in Thailand the last six months upon my departure, and without a visa, I will not be allowed back into Poipet. This will obviously be the situation with Laos and Burma as well, and I don't think any of those countries are too keen on taking over ownership of a bunch of more or less desirable foreigners who are not welcome into Thailand for the time being.

And yes, I went from 38 visa runs straight into Non-Immigrant O and it did cost me B. 2000 only.

But, was that the end result? Did you not pay an additional 1900 baht and get a one-year extension stamp, which you seemingly would qualify for?

If not, what's you next step?

New visa rules confirmed

PHUKET: -- New rules limiting stays in Thailand on “visas on arrival” to 90 days over any six month period were confirmed at a September 15 meeting of Immigration Department Chiefs in Bangkok. The new policy will go into effect on October 1.

In a related development, the Royal Thai Consulate in Penang, Malaysia, has stopped issuing double-entry tourist visas.

Pol Lt Col Pipat Pongpan, an Inspector at Phuket Immigration Office, told the Gazette, “Anyone who has already stayed 90 days on visa-on-arrival permits does not need to worry. We will start counting the days from October 1.

“[Foreigners from countries qualifying for visas on arrival] can come in and out of the country as many times as they like with a visa on arrival, but can stay for a maximum of 90 days in any six month period. If they stay 90 days then they must leave for 90 days before they are entitled to another visa on arrival. They can, however, go and request a tourist visa from a Royal Thai Embassy or Consulate abroad and come back into the country,” he said.

“Extensions above the 90-day limit may be granted in exceptional cases, such as if the tourist is suffering from an illness or involved in a lawsuit,” he added.

“No new investment visas will be issued after October 1. However, existing visas in this category may be extended if the holder still has funds of 3 million baht and is still doing business in Thailand,” Col Pipat said.

Tourist visas are still available, for a fee, at Thai embassies and consulates in neighboring countries. The Royal Thai Consulate in Penang, however, will now issue only single-entry 60-day tourist visas. An official at the consulate said that an order had been sent down from Consul Pramote Pramoonsab to cease issuance of double-entry tourist visas, which allow a total stay of up to 120 days.

Double-entry tourist visas are at present still available in the Thai Consulate in Kota Bharu and Thai Embassy in Kuala Lumpur, however.

A source in the Visa and Travel Document Division, Department of Consular Affairs, Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA), said that the move by the consulate in Penang is not due to any sweeping changes in MFA policy.

The decision whether or not to issue double-entry tourist visas rests solely at the discretion of each diplomatic mission, the source explained.

--Phuket Gazette 2006-09-21

How many tourist visas will they issue back to back though ?

Just got back from Laos and was told only 2 per year from there(Savannakhet). Or is this only 2 per year in total ?

• 1 month later...
Went to Chiang Mai Immigration at the end of last week, for a 365-day retirement-extension to my O-A visa, and was in/out within an hour, including a multiple re-entry stamp.

They were very keen to say, that I should "tell all your friends", about having at least the 800k in the bank for the full 3 months, before my next visit, in a year's time.

I asked whether the same would apply, to my friend on a married-with-kids extension, and they confirmed that he would need his 400k in the bank for 3 months too.

So I would draw the conclusion that they are serious about this, and currently intend to apply it, for those of us who use the cash-in-the-bank method, rather than proving a pension income-per-month.

Did they say anything about those who are making their first extension application i.e someone who's just arrived in Thailand?

lopburi3' date='2006-11-13 08:13:29' post='981733']

For marriage there is no longer any option for new applications to use bank deposit. For retirement believe the 3 month rule is being required for new applications.

lopburi, Do you know if existing married extension applicants

who have been properly renewing in the past with the 400K bank deposit are still elegible to extend?

Rather, will they be able to continue under the 400K, 3 month rule?

THANK YOU

As said, yes.

Now the (maybe) bad news. There will be a requirement for the funds to be in the account for 3 months prior to application (as with retirement). When that will take effect is not clear as people seem to be informed of it rather than it being required at present. If the same 2 or 3 months under review, where the money is expected to be in the account continues it may be up to six months that account will be expected to be at 400k or above. But that may not be required under the new rules - only time and people reporting there experience will provide that answer.