How to stop/ slow down?

cooked

There are lots of people who drink as much and more than you.Even girls drink beer!

It is the way you drink that is slightly worrying.

Beer should be drunk in the pub with your mates,laughing and talking <deleted>.Not at home,alone,clock-watching to see what time you can have your next fix.

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alcoholism is a disease of denial ie I don't have a problem - it is everyone else who just don't understand.

When you accept that you are a sick person & not a bad person, you may be ready.

Rather than sit on your arse & procrastinate, I suggest that you try something positive. You know the deal. Now, it is up to you.

Haven't you disappointed yourself enough already - life is not a dress rehearsal.

OP, first you have to ask and answer yourself 1 question.

Why do you need to drink?

Do not answer me, answer yourself.

If you can identify the reason for drinking , you might be able to eliminate the problem.

If the answer is because you enjoy it, then it's much harder .

I would cut out all drinking daytime and only drink in the evening, perhaps start with gym or some other sport to keep your mind off beer.

I enjoy a beer. I find it much more satisfying a drink than any other. I once found a non- alcoholic beer that I really did like... I started gaining weight and they discontinued it after two years. During the times that I have given up altogether I have drunk the same quantities of water and other drinks, so I am a thirsty person.

I'm not a binge drinker, as night time drinking would doubtless become,

I don't have time to start in a gym or something as I work most days around the farm or building an extension.

" I enjoy a beer." No, you don't enjoy to have a beer, you're an alcoholic and your body needs alcohol to function properly. You're so used to wake up with a hungover that you forgot what life's really all about. But you did something very impressive, to state your problem here on an open forum.

I've worked for/with drug addicts for a long time of my life and I assume that I know a little bit about addiction. I've looked into quite a few friend's grave and said goodbye to them.

Some of them died a terrible death. Guess you know the different stages of your all in a sudden non functioning liver? Once you've got a cirrhosis,your liver will fall apart. Then you have only 6 to 12 more months to live. Then please take your medicine with Johnny Walker....

I'd like to ask you a question. You don't have time to go to a gym, or similar, because you're so busy working on the farm? Many of your words are only cheap excuses, nothing else. Would you start doing some exercises, your body would produce a cool drug, also called Adrenaline.

Being on Adrenaline is freaking cool, free and much better than being drunk, mumbling a lot of nonsense to people where you believe they're your friends. Do you really think that women wanna hang around with a guy who can hardly get that thing up anymore? But that's not the point. Beer makes fat, do you really like the fact that you can't even see your own penis, when you go for a pee, because your stomach is so huge? Some exercises would be great for a guy like you and it would help you to drink less, and finally quit drinking.

My advice for you comes from the button of my heart. Stop lying to yourself. Stop trying to find excuses using other people as an example. Stop to write nonsense that you enjoy beer. The beer enjoys you and your liver. Stop making excuses why you decreased, how difficult it is/was. There's a time where you made a huge mistake and that was when you started drinking.

You're in no way better than any heroin junkie, in my opinion are junkies even "more clever", as they don't destroy their brains with alcohol. I guess you know that you've only got a certain amount of grey cells in your brain, right?

Stop trying to find excuses that you need your beer, whiskey, whatever. Stop writing about stuff which only you can understand. A lot of stop this and stop that, right?

Finally start to live, see the trees around you, when in the woods. Have a healthy sexual life, find out that even older people can still do body building and be proud to have at least some muscles. You might find a hobby, sport, anything that gives you a much better feeling than the one you've got after your usual beers.

I started drinking a "few beers" after work here in this country, two big beers became three, sometimes some whiskey as well and I did things ,I deeply regret. I could have killed plenty of people driving around, but I was lucky. It took a long time to find out that all these guys weren't my friends, only some always about other people gossiping drinking buddy's.....

One day, only a few weeks ago, I was so fed up with this bullshit and I stopped going to the "meeting point" with the cheap beer. I now really enjoy one to three small and cold bottles of Leo, without freaking ice in it after work and drink them when I come home.

I have days/weeks where I don't even drink one drop and I won't do the mistake again to give any addiction green light to take me over. This will never happen again.

Why would you pay money to feel bad in form of a hangover? Start to understand that only you can change it and stop drinking. Make some exercises and you'll find out what Adrenaline really is.

A Thai friend of mine got caught drunk driving and it wasn't just 20 K. Have you ever thought about driving after some beers and killing some guys, even if it's not your fault?

. Wish you the best, fragg the rest.

If you can identify the reason for drinking , you might be able to eliminate the problem.

I would cut out all drinking daytime and only drink in the evening, perhaps start with gym or some other sport to keep your mind off beer.

I enjoy a beer. I find it much more satisfying a drink than any other. I once found a non- alcoholic beer that I really did like... I started gaining weight and they discontinued it after two years. During the times that I have given up altogether I have drunk the same quantities of water and other drinks, so I am a thirsty person.

I don't have time to start in a gym or something as I work most days around the farm or building an extension.

" I enjoy a beer." No, you don't enjoy to have a beer, you're an alcoholic and your body needs alcohol to function properly. You're so used to wake up with a hungover that you forgot what life's really all about. But you did something very impressive, to state your problem here on an open forum.

I've worked for/with drug addicts for a long time of my life and I assume that I know a little bit about addiction. I've looked into quite a few friend's grave and said goodbye to them.

Some of them died a terrible death. Guess you know the different stages of your all in a sudden non functioning liver? Once you've got a cirrhosis,your liver will fall apart. Then you have only 6 to 12 more months to live. Then please take your medicine with Johnny Walker....

I'd like to ask you a question. You don't have time to go to a gym, or similar, because you're so busy working on the farm? Many of your words are only cheap excuses, nothing else. Would you start doing some exercises, your body would produce a cool drug, also called Adrenaline.

Being on Adrenaline is freaking cool, free and much better than being drunk, mumbling a lot of nonsense to people where you believe they're your friends. Do you really think that women wanna hang around with a guy who can hardly get that thing up anymore? But that's not the point. Beer makes fat, do you really like the fact that you can't even see your own penis, when you go for a pee, because your stomach is so huge? Some exercises would be great for a guy like you and it would help you to drink less, and finally quit drinking.

My advice for you comes from the button of my heart. Stop lying to yourself. Stop trying to find excuses using other people as an example. Stop to write nonsense that you enjoy beer. The beer enjoys you and your liver. Stop making excuses why you decreased, how difficult it is/was. There's a time where you made a huge mistake and that was when you started drinking.

You're in no way better than any heroin junkie, in my opinion are junkies even "more clever", as they don't destroy their brains with alcohol. I guess you know that you've only got a certain amount of grey cells in your brain, right?

Stop trying to find excuses that you need your beer, whiskey, whatever. Stop writing about stuff which only you can understand. A lot of stop this and stop that, right?

Finally start to live, see the trees around you, when in the woods. Have a healthy sexual life, find out that even older people can still do body building and be proud to have at least some muscles. You might find a hobby, sport, anything that gives you a much better feeling than the one you've got after your usual beers.

I started drinking a "few beers" after work here in this country, two big beers became three, sometimes some whiskey as well and I did things ,I deeply regret. I could have killed plenty of people driving around, but I was lucky. It took a long time to find out that all these guys weren't my friends, only some always about other people gossiping drinking buddy's.....

One day, only a few weeks ago, I was so fed up with this bullshit and I stopped going to the "meeting pint" with the cheap beer. I now enjoy one to three small bottles of Leo, without freaking ice in it after work and drink them when I come home.

I have days/weeks where I don't even drink one drop and I won't do the mistake again to give any addiction green light to take me over. This will never happen again.

Why would you pay money to feel bad in form of a hangover? Start to understand that only you can change it and stop drinking. Make some exercises and you'll find out what Adrenaline really is.

A Thai friend of mine got caught drunk driving and it wasn't just 20 K. Have you ever thought about driving after some beers and killing some guys, even when it's not your fault?

Wish you the best, the rest.

I take great exception to various remarks in this post. I get enough of a sweat on working here thanks very much, I am currently digging out a bamboo but as you probably never did much physical labour in the tropical sauna that is Thailand, you wouldn't know about that. What's a cheap excuse about that boyo? Plenty of adrenalin there, why don't you come around when we kill a pig sometime, that should get your adrenaline going. It is a 25 Km drive into town and I already drive there twice a day on a school run. So stuff your nice air conditioned gyms up the appropriate aperture. What a completely stupid remark to make, I work hard every day, and not in quick 50 minute bursts in a gym. I was a tree surgeon and a life guard and a lot of other stuff so don't preach to me about adrenalin. It's called sanctimonious.

Excuses about drinking beer. Oh boy I hope I never come near you if I ever need therapy. I dislike hard liquor. Wine doesn't seem appropriate in this climate. I like beer, it's cold and tastes good.

Thanks for wishing me the best. I don't wish you that, you sanctimonious preaching prig.

One day, only a few weeks ago, I was so fed up with this bullshit and I stopped going to the "meeting pint" with the cheap beer. I now enjoy one to three small bottles of Leo, without freaking ice in it after work and drink them when I come home.

A Thai friend of mine got caught drunk driving and it wasn't just 20 K. Have you ever thought about driving after some beers and killing some guys, even when it's not your fault?

Wish you the best, the rest.

I take great exception to various remarks in this post. I get enough of a sweat on working here thanks very much, I am currently digging out a bamboo but as you probably never did much physical labour in the tropical sauna that is Thailand, you wouldn't know about that. What's a cheap excuse about that boyo? Plenty of adrenalin there, why don't you come around when we kill a pig sometime, that should get your adrenaline going. It is a 25 Km drive into town and I already drive there twice a day on a school run. So stuff your nice air conditioned gyms up the appropriate aperture. What a completely stupid remark to make, I work hard every day, and not in quick 50 minute bursts in a gym. I was a tree surgeon and a life guard and a lot of other stuff so don't preach to me about adrenalin. It's called sanctimonious.

Excuses about drinking beer. Oh boy I hope I never come near you if I ever need therapy. I dislike hard liquor. Wine doesn't seem appropriate in this climate. I like beer, it's cold and tastes good.

Thanks for wishing me the best. I don't wish you that, you sanctimonious preaching prig.

Drink more and enjoy it. Your're a fool.

If this dude can read all that has been presented & still justify his drinking, I suggest that he puts the foot on the accelerator.

Just enjoy his demise, minimize the suffering of those around him. Finally, on his last day alive. why not do a stocktake of the cockroaches crawling up his nostrils.

If this dude can read all that has been presented & still justify his drinking, I suggest that he puts the foot on the accelerator.

Just enjoy his demise, minimize the suffering of those around him. Finally, on his last day alive. why not do a stocktake of the cockroaches crawling up his nostrils.

I'm blessed with sobriety and haven't had a drink in 12 + years. I don't miss anything about it at all and as I have sometimes said, if I was told "It's been a big mistake, Gerry, you're not an alcoholic, you can drink" my view right now is I would stick with not drinking because in my own mind I always associate being sober with having a hugely different and ultimately much better life. On the other hand as an active drunk I would have developed massive resentments against people for some of the things that have been said in some of the posts. My only way of coping with resentment was to torment myself with an inexplicable internal dialogue consisting of rage and vitriol, which always led to me get hammered and I say hammered, not drunk. You might have seen me standing alone at a bar drinking like a lunatic and caught up in my own wee world, unaware of anything going on around me. As a wise cracker said to me: You can always tell an alcoholic, but you can't tell them very much. I would respectfully suggest that we should show a bit of respect to the OP and would also like to suggest that the scare tactics as a general rule don't work for people like me. I rather liked the attention and the controversy and it usually gave me another set of resentments and excuses to get hammered.

Congratulations, Gerry

For me my actions as a sober alcoholic matter (a lot). Example matters. Speak the truth as it is.

I entered the doors in 1984 - almost 36yo.

They said - take the cotton wool out of your ears - LISTEN TO THE SIMILARITIES - not the differences.

It ain't easy BUT well worth it.

I had little going for me - plenty against.

Good grief. In my first post I said I was trying to slow down. I am doing that as best I can, thanks for the support. However people tell me to slow down, so they haven't read my post. Other people haven't read my post:

I got told that I was in denial. No I'm not, that's why I came to this forum to find out, to quote my words:

"So the question is, is this going to hold up or is it too early to tell?

Anybody done anything similar? Or have other advice?"

I was not asking to be preached to about responsibility towards my family: I should have thought that it was evident from my post that I do feel responsible. Nobody is suffering around me, not a word of complaint from the wife, she is supportive.

I was told three times to go to a gym, I have, three times, explained why that is neither possible or necessary.

I am now drinking one beer at 11.30, my meal time, followed by a siesta. By the time I have started off to school I will have had two more small beers, spread out over the previous 3 hours. '

For me this is a major step. I may well follow the advice of one poster to try one day a week without beer at all, now that makes the heart flutter.

If I have read aright, one can of beer needs about 90 minutes to get out of your system. Of course, it still goes through my liver but at least I am more or less sober. i can't say I feel better or worse for having reduced drinking, I never had a hangover for years.

good idea,keeping mind occupied on something else,meditating,drinking water between beers too.but its always a struggle,any addiction.Especially when you enjoy the substance.You could think about the harm it is doing to others,you are showing love right now by trying to cut down,just keep at it and be patient with your success to date.

Good grief. In my first post I said I was trying to slow down. I am doing that as best I can, thanks for the support. However people tell me to slow down, so they haven't read my post. Other people haven't read my post:

I got told that I was in denial. No I'm not, that's why I came to this forum to find out, to quote my words:

I was not asking to be preached to about responsibility towards my family: I should have thought that it was evident from my post that I do feel responsible. Nobody is suffering around me, not a word of complaint from the wife, she is supportive.

I was told three times to go to a gym, I have, three times, explained why that is neither possible or necessary.

I am now drinking one beer at 11.30, my meal time, followed by a siesta. By the time I have started off to school I will have had two more small beers, spread out over the previous 3 hours. '

For me this is a major step. I may well follow the advice of one poster to try one day a week without beer at all, now that makes the heart flutter.

If I have read aright, one can of beer needs about 90 minutes to get out of your system. Of course, it still goes through my liver but at least I am more or less sober. i can't say I feel better or worse for having reduced drinking, I never had a hangover for years.

well ok "is this going to hold up"..or "is it too early to tell"...i dont know,but my advice to you is take 1 day at a time,make yourself small goals to achieve and pat yourself on the back when you have been successful.

Cooked, your question is a good one. For me, when I tried to stop or cool it, it lasted for a few days usually and then I was off again for any reason - win, lose or draw. I drank for any reason, good bad or indifferent. I was probably a different kind of drunk from you however. I would describe myself as a binge drinker, so I stopped, but once I was on it, well it was mental. If I had a really heavy session and came out of it feeling OK, as sometimes happened, I recall having a conversation with myself about not being an alkie. That usually triggered an even bigger session next time safe in the knowledge I wasn't an alkie! I don't have this debate today, this conversation ended, it's blissful at times not having this!

Congratulations, Gerry

For me my actions as a sober alcoholic matter (a lot). Example matters. Speak the truth as it is.

I entered the doors in 1984 - almost 36yo.

They said - take the cotton wool out of your ears - LISTEN TO THE SIMILARITIES - not the differences.

It ain't easy BUT well worth it.

I had little going for me - plenty against.

Serious respect, brother! They told me to take the cotton wool out of my ears and stick it in my mouth! I didn't like it much!

gerryBScot

Correct fellow member.

Talking & listening concurrently - impossible?

Fang I am not sure I understand your short hand. I certainly agree that I needed to listen, and still do; in fact I had to learn to listen. I was a belligerent expert on all manner of stuff that I knew nothing about. Yeah I am that guy, as that guy I am much better for not drinking.

gerryBScot

The 1st sentence is irrelevant. I am merely agreeing with you.

2nd sentence - doing two things at the same time ie talking & also listening - cannot - impossible. Therefore, recommendation is listen for a period of time.

My wife had to pawn the wedding ring to get us to the end of the month so yes, you can say I have an alcohol problem.

I don't want to go cold turkey, I really enjoy my beer.

Alcohol problems are like an elevator. They'll both take you all the way into the gutter. But you can get off on any floor you choose.

If you like your beer more than your deplore the idea that your wife had to pawn her wedding ring, you're not ready.

Try slowing down, not drinking before lunch, drinking only one an hour, or any of the other schemes you'll get here from the folks that haven't actually slowed down, never mind stopped. They may work, though millions of people go to prison, destroy their families or die before they dial in just the right formula. Take the elevator down a few more floors.

When you're willing to do whatever it takes, post back. There's a lot of good people posting here who will gladly help the willing.

Mmm I don't quite follow you... my whole post is about the fact that I cut my intake by about 70% overnight..I am drinking one every 90 minutes, not every hour as you suggest. I didn't say I like alcohol more than the fact that my wife pawned her wedding rind, I was saying that I don't like that situation and this is what I am trying to do about it. Please don't lecture me (I have been an alcoholic for 30 years) and please try to read my post again.

If you are an alcoholic, then you can't control drink. Quitting is the only way good advice from Impulse. When you go down far enough let us know.

Naltrexone? If you take this drug & then consume alcohol, you vomit? I think of Pavlov's dogs experiment.

I have observed the experience of some who have taken this drug. Easy - they just don't take it.

You need support! That is why AA or similar support groups have achieved such success.

Not true, You are thinking of antabuse.

Use medical science. You have developed an addiction in your brain over the years and you need a treatment. Not moralizing bullshit. You cannot stop on your own so take the next step.

Today there is so called Sinclair method with a generic drug called Naltrexone or Nalmefene. Both are anti-opioids. The trademark name is Selincro. Just go to any decent pharmacy and ask for it. The method was originally developed in Finland in laboratory during 70's and 80's with rats especially breeded to be alcoholic rats.

The method is pretty simple. Every day you start drinking, take a pill one hour before. The pill does not work alone while sober, it needs actually alcohol! The anti-opioid with alcohol in your brain gradually makes the drinking less and less interesting over the course of about 6 months. It basically lessens the power of the addiction "circuitry" in your brain to your behavior. You will have gradually less and less cravings and alcohol is just not that interesting after about 6-8 months.

It does not make you sick while drinking and it is not a miracle cure. It takes a bit of discpline but it is like taking any other daily medicine. It takes time but works for about 4 out of 5 alcoholics unlike AA with less than 10 percent success rate.

Where do you get these results 4 out of 5 alcoholics "cured" with Naltrexone. Can they drink normally?

What have you got against AA? Whre do these statistics come frome?

Generally speaking, when someone is willing to humble themselves by walking into their first AA meeting, or admitting they woke up naked with the chicken (again), it indicates a desire to stop living the way they have been, and perhaps even to stop drinking if that's what it takes to quit living the way they have been living.

But not always.

If it is a true epiphany, it represents an opportunity to offer a path to the alcoholic that millions have taken to sobriety and being happy about it. Or a chance to say "it's all okay", just slow down a little and you'll be just fine.

I misjudged the OP's level of willingness, and for that (and my presumption that it was okay to hold up his own confession to nudge him onto that path) - I apologize.

AA and its program are not "one size fits all", any more than all vehicles with 4 wheels are identical. It's the same 12 steps, but they work very differently for different people. Just like the 4 wheels on a 4x4 SUV work very differently than the 4 wheels on a Ferrari.

Last observation: Another beautiful thing about not drinking? It's completely reversible and does absolutely no permanent damage. You can pick back up any time you want.

Unfortunately, I can't say the same about the consequences of not stopping, especially if it results in a DWI incident, liver damage, or the other hundred ways that alcohol problems ruin lives and families.

I note the O.P. has Fixed Times. , eg ,Eat 11Am. Ive noticed my friends who have that regimented lifestyle have much the same habit. .I go ages without any Drink, then meet Friends and Drink like a Fish for a while, but no routine at all, Fortunately today i have friends.thumbsup.gifbiggrin.png

I notice that you live in the boonies. I've never known an alcoholic get sober there. I've known alcoholics who have quit, some for more than 20 years, go live in Nakhon Nowhere and drink again and die. They end up placing priority on picking the mangoes, watering the lawn, dropping the kids off at school etc. I most of the cases, they have had more than enough money to pay someone else for doing these things.

The alcoholics I know who got sober, placed priority on their sobriety. Moved to an area where they could meet other alcoholics daily etc. Personally, I have to put my sobriety above my wife and kids, above my work etc as if I lose my sobriety, I lose them anyway.

Thanks for the recent posters, the preachers seem to have gone away. The way I have chosen, not drinking the next beer before a certain hour, seems to be working, Occasionally I haven't looked at the time and two hours instead of 90 minutes between drinks has gone by. First at 11am, last at 9pm. I was rarely a pub/bar goer and to be frank from what I have seen of the general scene here, I have no envy to be. Anyway this works for me and I am surprised myself that I am holding out, not cheated yet. It's easier in the daytime when I have plenty to do than in the evening.

Coming up: after 30 days I will go for one drink every two hours plus one day a week without, see how that goes. A can of beer takes about 90 minutes for the alcohol to be flushed out of the system so I am in a constant cycle of getting very slightly alcoholised and sobering up, I'm not sure that's a good thing.

Thanks for the recent posters, the preachers seem to have gone away. The way I have chosen, not drinking the next beer before a certain hour, seems to be working, Occasionally I haven't looked at the time and two hours instead of 90 minutes between drinks has gone by. First at 11am, last at 9pm. I was rarely a pub/bar goer and to be frank from what I have seen of the general scene here, I have no envy to be. Anyway this works for me and I am surprised myself that I am holding out, not cheated yet. It's easier in the daytime when I have plenty to do than in the evening.

Coming up: after 30 days I will go for one drink every two hours plus one day a week without, see how that goes. A can of beer takes about 90 minutes for the alcohol to be flushed out of the system so I am in a constant cycle of getting very slightly alcoholised and sobering up, I'm not sure that's a good thing.

Bottom line, if it's working for you and you like the results, keep doing it.

Best of luck to you.

Why slow down? Drink all you want. We are all gonna die sooner or later anyway.

Archived