Will I have enough to Live in Udon Thani with this

BarrieSawadee

You will never know unless you give it a go.

Although a lot say take it slowly,infrastructure will cost alot more to build in 5 years than now.

Make sure you get hi-speed internet and generator for power black outs.

Its all about trust and i'm sure you wouldn't consider moving here if there was none.

600,000 a year to live is realistic.I'm nearly your age and been here 11 years but have outdoor hobbies.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why not rent a house in that general location and save the 60,000 squid for later. Get a teaching job for up to 30,000b a month then things might be different?

You say you can adapt to village life/food/bugs but what is the longest period of time that you have done this to date? Most cannot live like that, but some do and the highlight of their life is a trip in another Farangs car to Big C.

I wish you well but am playing the devils advocate here???

Not quite devils advocate. More like miserable generaliser.
What aspect of my post suggests that I am miserable?

I am having a great life here in Thailand but will not belittle myself by saying what I have or haven't got in public. I believe that I am a respected member of the community. Can you honestly say the same, puchooay? I hope you can.

I believe this guy has got his head screwed on right but I just question if his ideas are unrealistic about living like a Thai farmer at the age of 45.

You should read what you wrote. "Most"??? Really? Who is this lone farang with a car? I am respected in many communities.

Back to the OP. You say you have been together for a while already. I say give it a go. You are about the same age as me. Village life is great. Do you have any hobbies? You will need a little to do from time to time.

I believe this guy has got his head screwed on right but I just question if his ideas are unrealistic about living like a Thai farmer at the age of 45.

+1

+1

And not only that, paying for the privilege of being one.

That 3 million baht for the house build is ringing big alarm bells in my head.

Who in their right mind at the age of 45 gives up, house, job, family and friends to move half way round the world to live like a peasant?

No mention made of what type of visa the OP will be on.

No mention made of future pension plans, etc etc, this doesnt pass the logic test.

Keep the house in the UK rent it out, and rent some place for 5k baht per month here.

The OP will go stir crazy from cabin fever.

Must confess I can understand and relate to where the OP is coming from, any opportunity to get out must be examined, especially true at his age when he's likely been working his nuts off for years and tolerated everything that UK Plc has thrown at him. But the answer, sadly, remains the same. Sorry matey, just wait a while.

+1

Who in their right mind at the age of 45 gives up, house, job, family and friends to move half way round the world to live like a peasant?

No mention made of future pension plans, etc etc, this doesnt pass the logic test.

Keep the house in the UK rent it out, and rent some place for 5k baht per month here.

I guess you probably haven't read the whole thread.

Why not rent a house in that general location and save the 60,000 squid for later. Get a teaching job for up to 30,000b a month then things might be different?

You say you can adapt to village life/food/bugs but what is the longest period of time that you have done this to date? Most cannot live like that, but some do and the highlight of their life is a trip in another Farangs car to Big C.

I wish you well but am playing the devils advocate here???

Hiya again

I originally posted this question referring to finances only

I thought I had made My mind up already and did expect some kick backs

Most answers have been about will I like it and to slow down

The attention paid to this is causing Me to re evaluate a lot after all If I wasn`t going to listen to the answers then why post it ?

In a recent post I posted that exact same thing as in May be hold tight for another three Years or so invest the Money in the meantime whilst also earning/saving even more and also just developing the Land

I am fortunate in the respect that the GF will go along with whatever I want to do there is no pressure off Her in anyway(I just want to get out of here the sooner the better) :-)

Longest stretch is Four weeks total rural Living though and trust Me I never want to Leave and that is working the Land as well

Everytime We are out there I have always deliberately not done anything Touristy at all in preparation

I would rather You didn`t hold back that`s cool

Cheers Again

Barrie

acMust confess I can understand and relate to where the OP is coming from, any opportunity to get out must be examined, especially true at his age when he's likely been working his nuts off for years and tolerated everything that UK Plc has thrown at him. But the answer, sadly, remains the same. Sorry matey, just wait a while.

Hiya Chiang Mai

You are bang on on all that You have just Posted I really do not fancy Living here and getting Old under all of the pressure that I do have to deal with daily and then being in Thailand Old and not knowing what it would have

been like while still being active

All that said however I don`t want to come back here early as an Oldie either Arrrrgggghhh

So a few more Years Me thinks

Cheers Again

Barrie

Barrie

Wise decision ie deferment of relocation. I came at age 55. Old is not that bad especially in the Nth.

Stash the $$$ away while you can. Come over to LOS & no need to worry about whether you can afford.

If you currently think this way, you are probably correct - so not yet.

Barrie

Wise decision ie deferment of relocation. I came at age 55. Old is not that bad especially in the Nth.

Stash the $$$ away while you can. Come over to LOS & no need to worry about whether you can afford.

If you currently think this way, you are probably correct - so not yet.

Cheers

I don`t actually want to feel this way and didn`t feel like it before I posted biggrin.png

Any doubts though have to be addressed realistically even though I do know that I would not get Cabin Fever Etc.I would not want to have to return Home to live early well not ever actually

Cheers Again

Barrie

PS I didn`t mean Old was bad just different coffee1.gif

Barrie44

Old - no misinterpretation.

However, for you networking in a new country would be a big challenge. ie many old dudes live in the Nth.

Get the $$$; come on over; do it well. Get the timing correct & life should be rosy.

As for TV everybody on here needs to look into something called KODI it is a free downloadable programme with all of the World`s TV and Movies on it and it is free including all of the Sky channels just plud Your Computer into Your TV "HDMI Lead" I guess You only know what You know in this World

No internet in many rural locations.

Never internet in your gfs village, she left there for a reason.

Barrie,

I'm confused,are you barrie44 or barrie sawadee or both.

Hiya very well spotted I joined here Years ago as MrBarrie44 hence My mentioning that I have read loads on here for Years I then wanted to use ThaiVisa.Com a lot more now that the time well was nearly getting closer to finally move :-) and I wanted to have a more fitting name and I could not work out how to change My MrBarrie44 name

Cheers

BarrieSawadee,MrBarrie44 :-)

+1

I guess you probably haven't read the whole thread.

I dont need to read it all to know the 3 million baht he quotes for a house is BS.

Wont even bother mentioning the land he has already bought.

This whole deal could be put together for 1 million baht, rent land at 1,000 baht per rai per year, 4,000 baht per year, x 30 = 120,000 baht, build a 2 storey Thai house for 7-800k.

Archived