BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
Focus

15 K Usd For Condo?

What might USD $ 15,000 to 20,000 get me in Isaan for a flat or condo in Udon Thani, Nong Khai, etc.? Thanks.

What might USD $ 15,000 to 20,000 get me in Isaan for a flat or condo in Udon Thani, Nong Khai, etc.? Thanks.

20K US = 750K THB roughly.

Not sure about the places you mention, but I beleive that where I am (Buriram) would be very similar as far as costs go.

Inside of town, forget it. 15 year old townhouses start at 950K BHT. And then you need to factor in repair costs. Single houses of the same vintage start at 1.2 Million BHT. New houses on estates within say, 5 Klms of town, start at 1.4 Million BHT.

Now, once you start getting outside of town, its an entirely different proposition. You lose the amenities and convenience of being in town, but the prices start to fall.

Prices are on the rise in the great NorthEast, but there are still bargains to be had if you look hard enough :o

Good Luck.

in that pricerange ... a smallish 1br condo might be possible

I believe Thai law does not allow foreigners to legally own a condo in their name outside of certain areas, such as Bangkok, Pattaya, Phuket and a few other areas. Am I wrong about this? Experts?

I believe Thai law does not allow foreigners to legally own a condo in their name outside of certain areas, such as Bangkok, Pattaya, Phuket and a few other areas. Am I wrong about this? Experts?

yes .....you are wrong about that

Thanks for the insights. I could go up to 25 K USD, but that's about it. I don't need a fancy place, simple and small would do it. And I am not totally wedded to the idea of Isaan. Anywhere along the Mekong River area might be nice. On another related topic, would 250,000 USD stashed away in mutual funds, CDs, and money markets and a firm DO NOT TOUCH this nest egg for another, say, 12 years and quite good teaching quals (e.g. Masters, 20 years experience, etc.) for finding decent work (40-50k baht a month might do it) make you feel secure in Thailand?

Thanks.

if you are gonna work here ..... you may want to be in an area that will pay you for your quals .....

less tan 10M baht make me feel secure? not a chance!

Hi. Sorry, I should have added to my post above: I know this is a very, very subjective issue and question. I know an answer to my question all depends on personal attitudes, life styles, and tolerance for risk, etc... I can lead a fairly modest life style, not a lot of expensive drinking, two or three G and Ts (doubles) per night; I don't need a tennis court; long walks around town or by the river are my favorite exercise; don't need a fancy TV; don't need a car. Anyway... I'd love to hear the range of opinions and insights.

Cheers.

Thanks jdinasia, so you're saying 10M Baht (250K usd) ain't much? How much you think is enough, 500K usd? You know I'm just dealing with this whole how much of a safety net do I need issue? I am not money oriented but I don't want to end up in card board city either or have to worry too, too much about the essential things that money is used for: medical care, decent food, decent housing, a bit of comfort and relaxation. Know what I mean?

everyone is different .... all have different expectations.

For me ... having income in USD and a home back there is what makes me feel safe.

Yeah, everyone is different. I know what you mean about the USD income, but I don't have a home "back there"; I am looking for one in SE Asia. Right now I have a decnent USD income, but I would like to give it up in another few years and put some roots down in a place I'd rather live, like Thailand or Laos, which would mean a drastic reduction in income, but I think I can swing it: i.e. keep body and soul together and my sanity intact.

thanks

Thanks jd. Does anyone on this board actually have a condo upcountry besides in Chiangmai? I bet you could make some money selling condos along the Mekong river to foeigners. The hard part might be finding Thais to buy the rest.

I guess the thing I remember about buying condos in certain areas applies to buy more than just one condo. It's for investors who buy in quantity. Here's a link : http://www.bangkokbob.net/condominium.htm

Here's another link to buying a condo:

http://www.mlsasiapacific.com/buy-a-condo-in-thailand.php

I have friends with condos in HuaHin ... and Chumpon

20K US = 750K THB roughly.

Not sure about the places you mention, but I beleive that where I am (Buriram) would be very similar as far as costs go.

Inside of town, forget it. 15 year old townhouses start at 950K BHT. And then you need to factor in repair costs. Single houses of the same vintage start at 1.2 Million BHT. New houses on estates within say, 5 Klms of town, start at 1.4 Million BHT.

Now, once you start getting outside of town, its an entirely different proposition. You lose the amenities and convenience of being in town, but the prices start to fall.

Prices are on the rise in the great NorthEast, but there are still bargains to be had if you look hard enough :o

Good Luck.

If you want a cheap place in a town, best thing to do is go to the bank and ask to see there repossesions, i have bought property this way, bought a 2 story town house in Jira road,Buriram, for 480,000 baht, 3 years ago sold it last year for close to 900,000, we just gave it a lick of paint.