Do not use Uber to/from Airport

seank

Just a little warning with Uber.

Being using Uber around Bangkok for the last few months and happy with them so ordered a cab to Don Mu

I always use the Uber app and it said I could get 200bt off the trip.

Unlike Grabtaxi with automatically adds the promotion to your account with Uber you have to apply for it beforehand.

Additional unknown to me, the website says flatfee to airport is 1000bt.

In short a trip that should have cost a few hundred but ended up costing me a 1000bt.

They were very kind to show me the original fare and than readjusted it to a 1000bt.post-66656-0-50912700-1438674885_thumb.p

Uber response was basically ‘tough luck’.

*extra 70bt was the toll.

• Like 2

I understand Uber is at least 50% higher than your regular taxi,sometimes more.I'm not sure why people use them?Whats the benefit?

There absolutely are times when they are useful. I was recently caught at a house near ekkamai in a rain storm. Couldn't escape to find a taxi, streets were flooded. Opened Uber app, saw there were some guys nearby and then put in my request for pickup. Very nice guy in a big van picks me up 10 min later, pulls all the way into the driveway so I don't get too wet. I ask him to take me to the BTS and he does. I expected a charge but never got one.

Uber is very clear about rates to and from airport. OP, if I was part of the Uber ops team in Thailand,I would cite defamation.

PS it's 3000 from the airport to Pattaya. 1000 to Suvarnabhumi, and either 500 or 1000 to DMK.

• Like 1

All Uber rides to and from the airport are a set 1000 Baht fee. It has always been this way. I always grab an Uber; I mean come on, 18 quid for a safe ride to the airport in a brand new sedan with a decent driver whose taxi doesn't stink, is serviced and MOT'd and has a driving licence. A no brainer, as they say.

Each to his own. I take a 552 van from my local bus stop to Swampy. It drops me in the arrivals carpark and costs 25B. But don't attempt it with any case bigger than a carry-on wheelie.

• Like 1

All Uber rides to and from the airport are a set 1000 Baht fee. It has always been this way. I always grab an Uber; I mean come on, 18 quid for a safe ride to the airport in a brand new sedan with a decent driver whose taxi doesn't stink, is serviced and MOT'd and has a driving licence. A no brainer, as they say.

I'd use just a little brain.

Have you compared that price to a perfectly legal AOT limo with a ton of financial backing, insurance out the wazoo, 100% absolute tracking of who your driver is, and real nice cars? With no waiting and no need for advance planning?

• Like 1

Just for grins, I looked up the AOT limo price to my home near Asoke from BKK.

1000 Baht for an Isuzu SUV, 1100 baht for a Toyota van that holds 8 passengers and 6+4 pieces of luggage, 1200 Baht for a Camry.

http://www.aot-limousine.com/web/vehicle_type.html

Kind of makes Uber look not-so-favorable at 1000 flat fee plus tolls...

BTW, great heads up from the OP. I didn't realize Uber was a flat rate ++ from the airport.

Edited by impulse

I'd use just a little brain.

Have you compared that price to a perfectly legal AOT limo with a ton of financial backing, insurance out the wazoo, 100% absolute tracking of who your driver is, and real nice cars? With no waiting and no need for advance planning?

Not since all my Uber expenses are paid, no :). But thanks for the heads up, brainiac!

Useful when you are in on eof the few areas of BAngkok where no taxis seem to venture. Someone helped me by calling another internet taxi service, can't remember the name. The jaunt between sois in Sukumvit wasn't much more than a regular taxi and the car and driver were excellent. Sorry to see that in some cases the app taxis are also a problem.

Uber is very clear about rates to and from airport. OP, if I was part of the Uber ops team in Thailand,I would cite defamation.

PS it's 3000 from the airport to Pattaya. 1000 to Suvarnabhumi, and either 500 or 1000 to DMK.

I use a private company when I fly in or out of Bangkok. The private company either picks me up in a car or van. The guy meets me at the arrivals area and then take me to his car in the parking lot.

Pretty much the same as uber but I only pay 300-400 around BKK area and 1000B to Pattaya, I always give a tip. So why use uber when there are private companies / cars offering a much better price.

Do a google search.

Will stick to my long time friend Thongdee.

Anyone who wishes for his number PM me.

Speaks English,will do Pattaya,Hua Hin Runs and upcountry long distance,price agreed before departure pay him upon arrival at destination.

Will also do excursions by the day week etc.

Based near Don Mueang but will accommodate.

• Like 2

How can anyone NOT know they charge 1000 to the airports?

It is all over the place in their material, site, etc.

Uber is great for some things. Outstanding. If you are taller than 150 cm ... and if you are perhaps 190 or 2 meters tall you will appreciate the back seat of a new Camray. The quiet in Uber Black cars is great. Usually they have a bottle of water. Often a hand towel. One thing is certain: silence.

I am free to make calls, go to sleep or whatever. I can sent it to pick up a friend and drop them off as if it were my personal driver. Try that with a yellow taxi, even if they are a friendly. And I have friendly taxi drivers that have used over the years. also motorcycle drivers - we use for documents or to pay the electric bill.

I like sitting in a business meeting at the conference table, and when finishing a meeting, i quietly pull out my phone and call Uber. They guy is waiting downstairs at the entrance, usually standing with the back seat door open, saying "Welcome Mr. Bill (whatever my name is).

On many occasions I have clients with me. They are impressed. Most think it is my personal driver.

I went out with a girl and had one car and driver. Nice ride. Later that night called another to pick us up and looked like same car to her. She thought I had 2 drivers :) heh heh heh.

Aside from impressing everyone, I do it for myself because the extra money is worth the comfort. Very simply, the new car, space, professional style, quiet convenient billing to my card, trip report mailed to me, are all worth it.

Any time I had a problem (and I have had a few along the way - some my fault, some theirs) their customer service were excellent. I have gotten credit and free rides more than once if they screwed up.

Happy Uber User.

I did not know , if I did know than I would not have used them. Only ever used the android uber app and it never displayed the price of 1000bt anywhere on the App as you can see is an extra 400bt if it was normally charged.

Around town Uber is fine but the airport standard charge is over priced.

As mentioned, it is not displayed on the android app.

How can anyone NOT know they charge 1000 to the airports?

It is all over the place in their material, site, etc.

Uber is great for some things. Outstanding. If you are taller than 150 cm ... and if you are perhaps 190 or 2 meters tall you will appreciate the back seat of a new Camray. The quiet in Uber Black cars is great. Usually they have a bottle of water. Often a hand towel. One thing is certain: silence.

I am free to make calls, go to sleep or whatever. I can sent it to pick up a friend and drop them off as if it were my personal driver. Try that with a yellow taxi, even if they are a friendly. And I have friendly taxi drivers that have used over the years. also motorcycle drivers - we use for documents or to pay the electric bill.

I like sitting in a business meeting at the conference table, and when finishing a meeting, i quietly pull out my phone and call Uber. They guy is waiting downstairs at the entrance, usually standing with the back seat door open, saying "Welcome Mr. Bill (whatever my name is).

On many occasions I have clients with me. They are impressed. Most think it is my personal driver.

I went out with a girl and had one car and driver. Nice ride. Later that night called another to pick us up and looked like same car to her. She thought I had 2 drivers :) heh heh heh.

Aside from impressing everyone, I do it for myself because the extra money is worth the comfort. Very simply, the new car, space, professional style, quiet convenient billing to my card, trip report mailed to me, are all worth it.

Any time I had a problem (and I have had a few along the way - some my fault, some theirs) their customer service were excellent. I have gotten credit and free rides more than once if they screwed up.

Happy Uber User.

I did not know , if I did know than I would not have used them. Only ever used the android uber app and it never displayed the price of 1000bt anywhere on the App as you can see is an extra 400bt if it was normally charged.

Around town Uber is fine but the airport standard charge is over priced.

Minnehaha says How can you NOT know the price to the airport, but doesnt even know his own name...lol

Quote] welcome mr Bill (whatever my name is)

he can't even remember what his Mum used to call him?

Except there is one little problem, Ubber is illegal in Thailand !!!!!!!, a licenced Taxi with a licence driver who uses the meter is legal. How would they sure ?

Please Explain?