Do not use Uber to/from Airport

seank

Don't know about Uber. I wanted to get a ride to Suvarnabhumi. Was told I would get Uber Black (which I didn't ask for). Wasn't told the price and then I was told the fare would be 1 1/2 times normal because of the traffic (11:30am on a Thursday). The first taxi I stopped agreed to use the meter (I was shocked)- I gave him a large tip. Flew to the airport. No traffic.

But there was a promotion at Siam 1 where I downloaded the app and got a free Uber fan and umbrella! So not all bad. 5555

Uber is losing big money.For them to stay in business they need to charge high fees.ForvA Bangkok taxi charging 360 baht and Uber charging 1000 baht,they can find another way to make their money back.It won't be from me.

• Like 2

If they are charging a flat fee they should not be charging tolls...

I assume that extra 70 baht charge is for VAT (7%)?

The AoT limo (least expensive; large SUV) is 1,050 all in, for Suvarnabhumi to town. I used this recently, and found the value/experience/service to be acceptable, and will use it again in the future. I have previously used taxis, in ~ 95 arrivals over the years.

A lot of people swear by UBER.

I've never used it.

I think it's good to have options?

I often use GrabTaxi, especially in areas where there are no available or passing taxis.

Edited by bamnutsak

All Uber rides to and from the airport are a set 1000 Baht fee. It has always been this way. I always grab an Uber; I mean come on, 18 quid for a safe ride to the airport in a brand new sedan with a decent driver whose taxi doesn't stink, is serviced and MOT'd and has a driving licence. A no brainer, as they say.

I just recently have got a taxi to Don Muang and also Swampy a couple of weeks apart

Hailed them in the street. No problems, meter on, early-ish in morning, tad before traffic hits but both drivers were fine, taxis were clean, no mental driving

On no planet is a trip the airport worth 1000 baht, no matter how bleak a picture you want to paint of regular, metered taxis

Both were under 300 baht, no tolls

• Like 1

I understand Uber is at least 50% higher than your regular taxi,sometimes more.I'm not sure why people use them?Whats the benefit?

------------------------------

Uber is "trendy" and flash..... if your into that kind of show it shows you are important and into that kind of flash show trendy stuff.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I was thinking of using Uber to go from Don Mueang to Banglamphu. I've never used it before, and at their web site flat rates are like this:

BANGKOK SERVICE AREA - BKK AIRPORT (BKK & DMK): 500 baht (uberX)

BANGKOK SERVICE AREA - DOMESTIC / INTERNATIONAL: 1000 baht (UberBLACK)

It also says "BASE FARE ฿25 + ฿1 PER MINUTE" for uberX. How is this possible, what is the catch here? Does that mean if I took a 10 minute ride I pay 35 baht? That seems quite impossible, do I get it wrong?

https://www.uber.com/cities/bangkok

I was thinking of using Uber to go from Don Mueang to Banglamphu. I've never used it before, and at their web site flat rates are like this:

It also says "BASE FARE ฿25 + ฿1 PER MINUTE" for uberX. How is this possible, what is the catch here? Does that mean if I took a 10 minute ride I pay 35 baht? That seems quite impossible, do I get it wrong?

The website says base fare 25 thb + 1 thb per minute + 4.5 thb per kilometer. I think you missed that last part.

• Like 1

The website says base fare 25 thb + 1 thb per minute + 4.5 thb per kilometer. I think you missed that last part.

Yep you are right, I thought 4.5 thb belonged to Uberblack, because it was under it.

Uber is very clear about rates to and from airport. OP, if I was part of the Uber ops team in Thailand,I would cite defamation.

PS it's 3000 from the airport to Pattaya. 1000 to Suvarnabhumi, and either 500 or 1000 to DMK.

I guess Thai taxi drivers won't protest against Ueber applying dumping prices then... LOL

• 2 months later...

Strange over 160000 meter taxi's in Bangkok rolling down the streets and these new tech app. cabs sprout up like Macdonald's KFC' 7-11..etc..

Whats the point? I mean look at the taxi cue at Chat-tu-chuk or Central Lad Pharo on weekends tells a story.Good luck to the TNC's ..No brainer.

I think I will try Grab Taxi just to see how it works. TNC's are very popular in Californiacoffee1.gif

Thanks , I never knew that Uber had a flat fee ,

I know that I tried Grab Tax before , waste of time as you could see 5 guys near-by but none wanted to go for meter rate ,

all wanted to make up a number ,

I will have to look into the private company at 300-400 B , thats what I plan on paying anyway if the regular taxi driver is OK,

but last few times the drivers have been bad , driving crazy , complaining they make no money, rigged meter etc

always interesting at least !

• 8 months later...
On 8/5/2015 at 9:13 PM, ericthai said:

I use a private company when I fly in or out of Bangkok. The private company either picks me up in a car or van. The guy meets me at the arrivals area and then take me to his car in the parking lot.

Pretty much the same as uber but I only pay 300-400 around BKK area and 1000B to Pattaya, I always give a tip. So why use uber when there are private companies / cars offering a much better price.

Do a google search.

Why searching in Google if already installed app? BTW, Uber and also Grab car works fine if travelling abroad too. Done so in Philipinnes etc. Would always prefer such service than the hassle with overcharging and sometimes untrustworthy Taxi drivers.

I have a cheap Samsung Big C' 800 thb on AiS cell phone.Works great..AIS cheap .Battery last about 6 days..

Unless its raining or odd hours.. holidays ..always see herds of metered taxi with red lights on cruising in traffic.Bangkok taxi fleet around 120000 +?Most meter taxi rides for me from 60 to 120 thb.I do modern art and have to get around ..printers..photo labs..shopping..etc lunch.

Made a good  taxi friend whom lives about 1 block from my place whom likes regular dial up customers.All I have to do is make a appointment.Someday I may upgrade phone . I spend about 300 thb a day on meter taxis  3 or 4 rides a day.No problem..I have yet to see a Uber logo  ..just GrabTaxi.ps   ..The sec .guy will do back flips getting me a taxi at my bldg. for 20 thb tip..Not bad..

On ‎05‎/‎08‎/‎2015 at 5:07 AM, steven100 said:

Not a problem , My driver arrives every time on time ... it's relaxing to sit in the limo after a long flight.

Yes because sitting down after a long time sitting down is all anyone wants to do.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, berybert said:

Yes because sitting down after a long time sitting down is all anyone wants to do.

I like the 30 THB bus from DMK to Mo Chit...the only problem is you don't have time for a smoke, because it runs so frequently.  Living the dream is tough, these days, but 1000?  totally out of your minds.  For 1000, I can get from Swampy to lower Sukhumvit, with a liter of Jim Beam from Duty Free, and a decent meal at Took Lae Dee.  Going the other way, I had a 06:30 am flight, left my hotel at Sukhumvit 39 at 03:40 walked out to the curb, got in a pink cab,,,he dropped my date off deep into Ekami, then took me to the terminal...the meter said 180, and I gave him 220.

If the Drivers are called "Ubers," maybe the smart phone staring, circus pants wearing customers should be called "Goobers."

Edited by KhonKaenKowboy
  • Like 2

On 8/12/2016 at 5:28 AM, aquario33 said:

Why searching in Google if already installed app? BTW, Uber and also Grab car works fine if travelling abroad too. Done so in Philipinnes etc. Would always prefer such service than the hassle with overcharging and sometimes untrustworthy Taxi drivers.

I dont use a taxi, as I said I have a private company and they dont overcharge or give me a hassle.

You only have to google one time to find a company then just use that company all the time. The difference between

me using the private company and uber is that I know the driver will be waiting for me, with uber there is always a chance you have no driver or have to wait for 30 mins. 

• 1 month later...
On August 5, 2015 at 7:54 PM, charliebadenhop said:

Apples and Oranges... but-

In Los Angeles, taking an Uber to the airport costs 35-50% cheaper than a taxi, depending on time of day.

So a big savings.

UBER is great but they can't pick up at LAX and the shuttle drivers to hotels are now NO UBER! You can how ever walk to the Century BLVD for pickup.

Is there a dedicated UBER pickup zone at Swampy? I just did a trip to the US on personal business. Las Vegas (Down with Taxi Mafia!) and Reno have dedicated UBER pickup areas now.

Edited by Dipterocarp

Uber X charges very fairly but in terms of airport runs, they are likely not to make much money using the traditional charges because A) They have a very low likelihood of finding passenger at the airport and B ) the airport run is very far out of town and they'd be unlikely to get a customer that far out anyway.  

They essentially dont want the airport business but they will do it at a cost that benefits the driver/uber.  

On Wednesday, August 05, 2015 at 9:13 PM, ericthai said:

I use a private company when I fly in or out of Bangkok. The private company either picks me up in a car or van. The guy meets me at the arrivals area and then take me to his car in the parking lot.

Pretty much the same as uber but I only pay 300-400 around BKK area and 1000B to Pattaya, I always give a tip. So why use uber when there are private companies / cars offering a much better price.

Do a google search.

Me too B 1,000 from Swampy to Pattaya, B 1,200 from DMK, usually an Innova size vehicle.

• 3 weeks later...