Do not use Uber to/from Airport

seank

Ahhh yes Uber, checked a price for a trip from My home in Melbourne to the airport turned out  $10 more expensive than a normal taxi...

And why would you need to use Uber in BKK of all places the taxis are so cheap, your telling me they can do the cost of a trip way better than normal taxi's?

• Like 2

Actually, UberX is often cheaper than a normal taxi would be. 

As has been mentioned, they're a little pricey for the airport, albeit less so now the flat rate for BKK is only 300B - but for other trips around town they're awesome. I use them all the time. 

On 05/08/2015 at 10:40 AM, kennypowers said:

All Uber rides to and from the airport are a set 1000 Baht fee. It has always been this way. I always grab an Uber; I mean come on, 18 quid for a safe ride to the airport in a brand new sedan with a decent driver whose taxi doesn't stink, is serviced and MOT'd and has a driving licence. A no brainer, as they say.

Maybe some people prefer the 'authentic' Thailand experience,of driving at 150km/h in effectively a four-wheeled LPG tuk tuk with all the structural integrity of a tin of tuna?

• Like 1

The front desk at the rsidence where I live will book a Grab Taxi for me if i travel to the airport.

This can be done 24 hours in advance of the day I travel.

Much better than Uber in my opinion.

To return ftom the airport back to Bangkok I always go down on the groind floor and get a meter taxi from the queue there.

Because of my age and limited walking problems i always travel with a wheelchair from the airlines.

i am wheeled through the imigration ofen  at the Priority line queue.

The wheelchair pusher takes my baggage tag and picks up my checked baggage.

A quick stop at the bank queue for money exchange, and then downstairs by the elevators where he/she gets a taxi ticket and wheels me out to a taxi.

Usually a 50 to 100 Baht tip to the wheelchair pusher, then Ii am on my way via taxi to Bangkok.

I much prefer Grab Taxi to Uber because of their better and more friendly service.

It works for me.

That is why I always book a wheelchair from the airlines and take a prebooked Crab Taxi cab from my residence.

• 3 months later...
On 8/5/2015 at 4:40 PM, kennypowers said:

All Uber rides to and from the airport are a set 1000 Baht fee. It has always been this way. I always grab an Uber; I mean come on, 18 quid for a safe ride to the airport in a brand new sedan with a decent driver whose taxi doesn't stink, is serviced and MOT'd and has a driving licence. A no brainer, as they say.

I have never been in a smelly Taxi.You pay your 1k,i'll pay my 350 baht.

On 8/10/2015 at 0:03 AM, eppic said:

Ridiculous. Comparing a limo to a taxi. Camry with great space, polite driver, passenger airbags, seatbelts not stuffed below the seat, driver that doesn't smell bad and won't try to dump you out if traffic is bad. Who would pay more for comfort and safety? A lot of people that don't care about "flash".

Some of us also fly business class, is that all about flash? Only for those that can't or won't pay for the comfort so they can criticize those that are willing to pay.

BTW, I actually prefer GrabCar Premium to Uber. It is literally the same cars and drivers (most work for both companies) and has much better availability and a better app...only difference is GC is cash only. I suppose both are equally "flash" blink.png [as crazy as is sounds for calling a Camry flash -- I mean, it's freakin' Camry, not exactly a Rolls]

Personally, I find GrabCar premium prices around BKK so cheap that it's embarrassing, so I normally give them a big tip, but I guess I am lacking in brains and am all about flash. I mean, really, 30-40 minutes of a US$50K+ car with driver, cost maybe US$5...how

absurdly expensive!

Airport prices not such a good deal, but the schmucks at the AOT counter and the guy begging for a tip when taking you to the car get on my nerves...so I would still take GrabCar from swampy if it were available

All that you said about taxis is not true,fake story,alternative story.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/08/2016 at 9:36 PM, berybert said:

Yes because sitting down after a long time sitting down is all anyone wants to do.

That's OK the usual 45 minutes spent walking from the plane, standing in long queues for passport control and then standing around waiting for my luggage make up for the 12 hours in a cramped "cattle-class" seat unable to sleep.

On 10/13/2016 at 0:41 AM, jim cortesos said:

Hum?  ALLTHAITAXI....Yellow...newer looking..looks like a great option for a app. or call..Yes I have seen them around.

They have an app thought it is basically junk. Installed it and went through the registration process but it never sent the confirmation code to complete the registration. Uninstalled and tried again with same result. Uninstalled.

David

Deputy director-general Nanthapong Cherdchu said a sting operation on Monday in Bangkok had led to 18 Uber drivers being nabbed and each was fined Bt2,000.

He said the agency must try to make Thais understand that the use of Uber was illegal and if any accident happened, a customer would receive less protection under the law.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30308170

Well, sometimes, peace of mind about the quality of the driver to the airport is worth the price.  Last taxi driver was a turkey and a bit of a lun... ended up stopping him, and switched to another taxi and driver.

Uber is for a Cheap Charlie but is not really cheaper.  The drivers cannot find you and lack confidence in their driving.  It is not much cheaper for me time is money.  But, if important for some to possibly save 30 or 40 baht, go for it.

Edited by bkk6060

• 3 weeks later...

I was to BKK 10 days ago, landed in Don Muang. 

As the real "Cheap Charlie" I took the A1-bus to Mo Chit, 30 baht. 

Then Sky Train to Nana, 42 baht. 

I was probably at my embassy 20 minutes before compared to taking a taxi all the way for 500-1000 baht.

Going back home I used the same transport .

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have some questions to ask

If Uber is illegal in Thailand how can they operate?

Why don't they block the app?

How much is a normal Uber Taxi ride in Pattaya let's say for about 2 miles?

And what the hell Is Netcitzen?

Any tool what helps that is a weapon against the Taxi Mafia in Pattaya is good in my opinion. I would like to see them all out of business.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I agree..Dunno what Uber will charge you also they take cash.Taxi mafia is the worst outfit ever..Soi Nana and Sukumvit..One reason why I never go there..Don't even think about it.I rather get on the BTS and get off at some station where they are not around..There's to many legit taxis anyway that always hits the meter.Good luck to Uber in Thailand..They seem to be having problems like the US dept of Justice on grey ball app.Liken to that old Allen Parson's tune...Eye in the Sky'....

On 4/7/2017 at 11:17 AM, XJ650 said:

I was to BKK 10 days ago, landed in Don Muang. 

As the real "Cheap Charlie" I took the A1-bus to Mo Chit, 30 baht. 

Then Sky Train to Nana, 42 baht. 

I was probably at my embassy 20 minutes before compared to taking a taxi all the way for 500-1000 baht.

Going back home I used the same transport .

I like a taxi.  But, if the line is long you are smart.  Many buses going form airport to MC.  Good job!

57 minutes ago, jim cortesos said:

I agree..Dunno what Uber will charge you also they take cash.Taxi mafia is the worst outfit ever..Soi Nana and Sukumvit..One reason why I never go there..Don't even think about it.I rather get on the BTS and get off at some station where they are not around..There's to many legit taxis anyway that always hits the meter.Good luck to Uber in Thailand..They seem to be having problems like the US dept of Justice on grey ball app.Liken to that old Allen Parson's tune...Eye in the Sky'....

You are right I rent a condo in that area.  The taxi mafia are mostly the dudes that are parked near the front of the hotels. Usually several together and they will try to hit you with a fixed rate that is higher.  

But if you walk onto Sukhumvit and go a block or two away easy to catch a legit taxi meter.

On Uber good luck there have been problems in other countries that do a legit background check.  What do they do here?  

On 2017-5-8 at 2:31 PM, jim cortesos said:

Soi Nana and Sukumvit..One reason why I never go there..Don't even think about it.I rather get on the BTS and get off at some station...

This is pretty good advice in general. 

On 3/17/2017 at 7:14 PM, bkk6060 said:

Uber is for a Cheap Charlie but is not really cheaper.  The drivers cannot find you and lack confidence in their driving.  It is not much cheaper for me time is money.  But, if important for some to possibly save 30 or 40 baht, go for it.

Nonsense!  

Uber is the greatest transport you'll find in Thailand.  And it's not to save 30 - 40 baht . You'll get better drivers in new cars , you can track them all the way on GPS so they can't scam you. Also in cities like Pattaya you'll save 100-150 baht compared to the taxi mafia.   

• Like 1

Nonsense!  
Uber is the greatest transport you'll find in Thailand.  And it's not to save 30 - 40 baht . You'll get better drivers in new cars , you can track them all the way on GPS so they can't scam you. Also in cities like Pattaya you'll save 100-150 baht compared to the taxi mafia.   

I've only used the taxi Mafia once in Pattaya. And that was when I had to bring my PC home from Tuckcom in the rain, so I had no choice. I think they charged me about 300THB for a 10 min journey. If that was on the meter it would have been about 70THB(Or it would have a fews years ago in Bkk). I hope they all go bankrupt(in Pattaya anyway). I might use them just as a experiment and to piss the Taxi Mafia off.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

• Like 2

• 8 months later...
On ‎05‎/‎08‎/‎2015 at 10:40 AM, kennypowers said:

I've never had any of the problems you mention from the airport in normal taxis.

Also, plenty of stories about the same problems you mention in uber. For example, driver cancelling at last minute, driver doesn't know how to drive, car smells, etc., etc..

Can I ask how do you know the car is serviced and MOT'd here in Thailand? How do you know the drivers have licenses. In London for example, the uber cars are run down because the drivers aren't earning enough money to properly maintain their vehicles. Do you think this is going to be any different in Bangkok. Don't even get me started on insurance and criminal record checks.

I'm glad you like uber but I'm equally glad that I never feel the need to use them.

Uber most likely has been operating illegally  in every city until local governance caved in. 

I live in Miami Beach and use it quite often to cross the causeway and save on $30 parking at whatever event. I'll tinker with it in Thailand at difference scenarios.

BTW, my flight arrives 1140P on Apr 2., China Airlines flight from Beijing. I'm assuming immigration folk cringe when they service passengers from that destination. How bad is passing immigration and customs in BKK ? I will pass on Uber upon arrival even though 1000 sounds cheap via accustomed standards. I'm currently in Orlando and getting a $76 quote, 15 miles from airport.