Low season is really low

madox66

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When your up high enough and looking down on Jothien Beach right after a bit of rain you can see the pipes and the black sludge burbbling out of them....there is one broken pipe closer to shore and at times its like a fountain.

attachicon.gifpipe 9 (Medium).JPG

That is one class photo. Almost worth abandoning the collapsed Pattaya seafront pathway for a something even more impressive.

yes today seemed quite unusual. I rode my bicycle all the way down Jomtien Beach Road and it was really quiet even in the afternoon.

And then it was just the same along Dongtan Beach walkway- totally deserted even though it was a lovely afternoon with a nice warm breeze.

And then as I returned home I rode along Pattaya Beach walkway and it was the same there. Usually on a Wednesday when the deck chairs are not out there are big groups of Thai's sitting under the shade of the trees but today there were very few.

Someone else is not eating their TAT porridge. Tourism is up 40% and climbing.

cheesy.gif

yes today seemed quite unusual. I rode my bicycle all the way down Jomtien Beach Road and it was really quiet even in the afternoon.

And then it was just the same along Dongtan Beach walkway- totally deserted even though it was a lovely afternoon with a nice warm breeze.

And then as I returned home I rode along Pattaya Beach walkway and it was the same there. Usually on a Wednesday when the deck chairs are not out there are big groups of Thai's sitting under the shade of the trees but today there were very few.

cheesy.gif

Big C 2nd Road was pumping on Wednesday night. Haven't seen it so busy in years. I thought maybe all the tourists from Bangkok decided to come down here.

cheesy.gif

Big C 2nd Road was pumping on Wednesday night. Haven't seen it so busy in years. I thought maybe all the tourists from Bangkok decided to come down here.

Do you mean foreign or Thai tourists ? Because thats like saying : Pattaya is really busy now look at all the traffic. 90% of which is composed of Thais.

Do you mean foreign or Thai tourists ? Because thats like saying : Pattaya is really busy now look at all the traffic. 90% of which is composed of Thais.

LOL "Thai tourists" visiting a shopping mall in Pattaya???

No mate...I was referring to FOREIGN tourists.

True, most people traveling around in cars will be Thais and certainly Pattaya has become the new weekend retreat to the younger Thais from Bangkok which is a welcome sign. (They do not patronize the same places as the visiting farangs except Central shopping center. The bars along 3rd road and around Hollywood is their avenue of night time entertainment and the upscale hotels is where they would be staying if they have not purchased one of the new condos in town.). The single Westerner visiting Pattaya is on the downslide; however, there are more independent young travelers coming from South Korea and other parts of South East Asia. Gradually there are more and more free spirited Chinese (middle class) that also travel solo to Pattaya but as we know, most of the Chinese are visiting Pattaya in packaged tours buzzing around the area in their white cocoons (busses). Sad to say to the old timers here from the post Vietnam era, that Pattaya is changing.

True, most people traveling around in cars will be Thais and certainly Pattaya has become the new weekend retreat to the younger Thais from Bangkok which is a welcome sign. (They do not patronize the same places as the visiting farangs except Central shopping center. The bars along 3rd road and around Hollywood is their avenue of night time entertainment and the upscale hotels is where they would be staying if they have not purchased one of the new condos in town.). The single Westerner visiting Pattaya is on the downslide; however, there are more independent young travelers coming from South Korea and other parts of South East Asia. Gradually there are more and more free spirited Chinese (middle class) that also travel solo to Pattaya but as we know, most of the Chinese are visiting Pattaya in packaged tours buzzing around the area in their white cocoons (busses). Sad to say to the old timers here from the post Vietnam era, that Pattaya is changing.

It gets the feeling as being far more foreign than times before,but guess that's the way the cookie crumbles. Whatever you state is correct,and for the westerner there must come a time sooner than later when enough of enough takes centre stage(unless you are camped in front of a computer 24/7)infiltration of Chinese into is not a good thing for westerners,makes for an uncomfortable experience,as last night Chinese group walked in ,group of westerners walked out of popular restaurant Jolly Friar

cheesy.gif

Probably westerners who came to Thailand for a single day, as they seem to have disappeared already.

There are lots of foreigners not coming here anymore. My friends, most of whom live in Bangkok, say one night is enough in Pattaya. Most won't come at all. I get the idea that foreigners who live upcountry are the ones who come to Pattaya to get away from the wife and family. But overall, most foreigners I come in contact with outside Pattaya don't like to come here at all: "Because it's not like it used to be." On a recent couple of trips to Cambodia, every day I met someone who used to live in Thailand or Pattaya. That's all my Phnom Penh hotel-owning friends tell me. Lots of Thailand "refugees."

The traffic are as bad as always , big queues from Suk to south or central Pattaya almost every afternoon . If I want to do the shopping in a hurry (I drive a car) , I have to do it early in the morning or after 10 PM.

The locals seem to earn enough money to fill gas on their cars when you look at the traffic.

There are lots of foreigners not coming here anymore. My friends, most of whom live in Bangkok, say one night is enough in Pattaya. Most won't come at all. I get the idea that foreigners who live upcountry are the ones who come to Pattaya to get away from the wife and family. But overall, most foreigners I come in contact with outside Pattaya don't like to come here at all: "Because it's not like it used to be." On a recent couple of trips to Cambodia, every day I met someone who used to live in Thailand or Pattaya. That's all my Phnom Penh hotel-owning friends tell me. Lots of Thailand "refugees."

I have a friend who has pulled out of being in Pattaya full time and prefers to spend his time in Phnom Penh now. The differences are noticeable, beer 20 to 40 baht a glass of fresh Angkor draught and better farang food there at better prices. He loves it and the locals are really very accommodating. They have a can do attitude where as in a lot of cases in Thailand it is a fark you attitude and they couldn't care less if you leave their business. He said to me his money goes a lot further there and said the people are so much more friendly and accommodating. On my visit there I found that all to be true, I loved it, I'm only here because my partner is here and she is Thai.

I have a friend who has pulled out of being in Pattaya full time and prefers to spend his time in Phnom Penh now. The differences are noticeable, beer 20 to 40 baht a glass of fresh Angkor draught and better farang food there at better prices. He loves it and the locals are really very accommodating. They have a can do attitude where as in a lot of cases in Thailand it is a fark you attitude and they couldn't care less if you leave their business. He said to me his money goes a lot further there and said the people are so much more friendly and accommodating. On my visit there I found that all to be true, I loved it, I'm only here because my partner is here and she is Thai.

Both all true above. But what about the net effect :Is there a way to gauge the number of incoming new foreigners that do not remember or care about the way it used to be

compared to the numbers outgoing.

Both all true above. But what about the net effect :Is there a way to gauge the number of incoming new foreigners that do not remember or care about the way it used to be

compared to the numbers outgoing.

"Net" effect? zero. Chinese are the new mass incomers,spending next to nothing TAT figures include them too

Isn't it Wednesday .... beach is closed ....

Beach is closed? What nonsense. Wednesday means no deckchair vendors. It doesn't mean that the beach is closed. What are you thinking?

I think he was being slightly facetious, People say this is the lowest low season every year and they are probably right. The Thais in their stupidity of live today and fuxx tomorrow are starting to realise what they have done with their scamming.

Like most Guys here that have been around close to 25 years its so blatant from the moment you come through baggage reclaim that it becomes the norm.

Myself going to Skiathos in Greece this Summer was an eye opener. People so happy to see you, polite, kind and with no malice. My love affair with Thailand is dying next two trips may well be the last

Isn't it Wednesday .... beach is closed ....

Beach is closed? What nonsense. Wednesday means no deckchair vendors. It doesn't mean that the beach is closed. What are you thinking?

I think he was being slightly facetious, People say this is the lowest low season every year and they are probably right. The Thais in their stupidity of live today and fuxx tomorrow are starting to realise what they have done with their scamming.

Like most Guys here that have been around close to 25 years its so blatant from the moment you come through baggage reclaim that it becomes the norm.

Myself going to Skiathos in Greece this Summer was an eye opener. People so happy to see you, polite, kind and with no malice. My love affair with Thailand is dying next two trips may well be the last

Greece has its own limitations. As for the scamming it is more of a low-scale irritation than anything else unless you put some serious business/property money down. I quite like low season periods. For sure the area is changing on the main drags but is still large enough to consider options. Maybe its time to move to the suburbs ie beyond Third Road blink.png

When your up high enough and looking down on Jothien Beach right after a bit of rain you can see the pipes and the black sludge burbbling out of them....there is one broken pipe closer to shore and at times its like a fountain.

attachicon.gifpipe 9 (Medium).JPG

nice pic ka Johng. when did you take this picture? I saw a lot of smell and dirty fountain after rain on pattaya beach as well. This picture was taken on March 2015.

post-224270-0-21360100-1440314338_thumb.

Business in Pattaya is in crisis. Today we have a lot of Chinese and Korean tourists. But the Chinese and Korean have their own business too. Their tourists support their businesses not general local businesses.

Transportation services, restaurants, massage shops, show businesses are their own. Belong to the Chinese and Korean.

Some Chinese and Korean own their hotels.

The restaurant boat on the balihai pier is owned by korean.

The more Chinese and Korean tourist do not mean more income for local pattaya businesses. Some tourist support local businesses but high rate of commission to the tour guide in exchange. That means local businesses have lower income and lower profit.

In the other hand, the more Chinese and Korean tourists, the more environment social and economic impacts for pattaya such as traffic problem, waste and waste water and also water supply that is not enough in Pattaya.

Impact to local economic is inflation. All seafood price are very expensive in Pattaya. Because of more demand for those tourist and finally the profit go to Chinese and Korean owned businesses. All of us who stay in pattaya have to assume the expenses that more expensive than any place else.

nice pic ka Johng. when did you take this picture? I saw a lot of smell and dirty fountain after rain on pattaya beach as well. This picture was taken on March 2015.

That photo was taken in 2010 if I remember correctly. I went to back to "yim yom" beach again about 10 months ago not only was the pipe still there but the gazebo and most of the promenade was falling to pieces.

Slightly off topic but there is a wave of Koreans in Vang Vieng Laos. Evidently some Korean reality show featured the town awhile ago and the Koreans are flocking in droves. A year ago or so when I was up there I would say at least 50% were Koreans. To get back on topic you may be seeing the results of this as maybe some of these Koreans are starting in or continuing on to Thailand in their travels.

And now Tops supermarket at 2nd Road / Pattaya Klang is closing down. One of the girls said they have been there 15 years but now the 2 million Baht/ month rent is too much. You look at the Pattaya ( bad ) News Clippings

and its not surprising that for alot of folks the enough is enough - the Thais can have this place - point has been reached.

It's sad with the cutting of the trees, as of now they have mostly trimmed the trees at Dongtan beach. Been sitting at the same vendor at the beach for the last 20 years and until a few years ago it was 30-40 people at low season now it's maybe 10-12. I think a lot of older expats that use to sit there are mostly dead a few had fights with friends and moved section and also the service from the vendors have declined a lot. I went to Koh Larn Thursday and it was filled with laud Chinese tourists. Went to a small beach away from the docks but even there it was 4 catamarans with Chinese tourists. The large beach chairs at Koh Larn are ฿30 compare to ฿100 at Jomtien beach. Also service was much better there. Spoke to some Falang/Thai couples that use to go to Dongtan beach and they travel from Jomtien to island every day. They have also seen the declining service from Dongtan chair vendors.

When it comes to the trees at Dongtan they needed trimmings.

And now Tops supermarket at 2nd Road / Pattaya Klang is closing down. One of the girls said they have been there 15 years but now the 2 million Baht/ month rent is too much. You look at the Pattaya ( bad ) News Clippings

and its not surprising that for alot of folks the enough is enough - the Thais can have this place - point has been reached.

Seems to be the case,Ive just hung on unnecessarily,now even I have had enough. Got three mutts and putting one up for adoption in US/UK flights etc paid for,sad,but three is two too many anyway,but manageable.

Making my first move to re-establish myself next two weeks,Portugal or Spain,but those Spanish houses for sale/rent are really cheap and looking at pix of them look fantastic,anyway a once or twice over is required,but just want to get the hell out of it PDQ

2 million Baht/month rent?

And "the girls" are all informed about the finances of Tops, right?

One of the most useless TOPS supermarkets I've ever been in. Every six months or so I venture in. There's maybe 3 or 4 customers, if that, and I never see anything to buy. Contrast this with the one in Central Plaza Rama 9 in Bangkok. Stupendous market.

The closing is another sign that foreigners of the Euro/NorthAm/Oz kind are leaving. As am I. Moving back to Bangkok in a couple of weeks as a short-term interim measure. During which I will spend some time in Saigon. What a dynamic city. Love visiting there.

Actually it was one of the customer service girls who seemed pretty informed. I went in today and tried to ask if the rent had always been 2 million /mo or if it had just been raised. But the same girl was not there and no one else could understand the question. But if I understood correctly this store is moving to the bottom floor (Tops ? ) supermarket at Central Festival. And this first girl said that is where she will continue working. Why dont you research this and get back to us regarding the 2 million ? In any event it is -1 supermarket in Pattaya.

Seems to be the case,Ive just hung on unnecessarily,now even I have had enough. Got three mutts and putting one up for adoption in US/UK flights etc paid for,sad,but three is two too many anyway,but manageable.

Making my first move to re-establish myself next two weeks,Portugal or Spain,but those Spanish houses for sale/rent are really cheap and looking at pix of them look fantastic,anyway a once or twice over is required,but just want to get the hell out of it PDQ

Portugal has a beautiful Atlantic coast that looks like the Central California coast.

Their clams in red curry is nice.

It's their best dish IMO JT.

I have a side of cabbage sprouts cooked with pork belly in chile & soy bean with it.

I like that vegetable as well.

Coincidentally (?) when I walked by last night they were completely shut down. Not sure if a temporary thing.

Actually it was one of the customer service girls who seemed pretty informed. I went in today and tried to ask if the rent had always been 2 million /mo or if it had just been raised. But the same girl was not there and no one else could understand the question. But if I understood correctly this store is moving to the bottom floor (Tops ? ) supermarket at Central Festival. And this first girl said that is where she will continue working. Why dont you research this and get back to us regarding the 2 million ? In any event it is -1 supermarket in Pattaya.

Is the building work in the basement at TukCom about expanding the space for the small TOPS supermarket there?

Archived