Thailand plans to grant multiple-entry visas to tourists from all nations

webfact

The article is suitably vague but sounds like the visa is to facilitate visitors from countries that don't get transit visas on arrival and who want to come regularly for short trips, e.g. Chinese. Perhaps it will also apply to tourists from Western countries who want to stay for six months but I doubt it, since they can come for short stays on transit visas. It would make more sense if it were valid for 6 months for individual stays of up to 15 or 30 days. They might be aiming at something like UK tourist visas that are valid for 6 months, 2 years, 5 years or 10 years but woe betide anyone who tries to use one to live permanently in the UK, rather than make repeat visits.

They have been edging towards reciprocal visa free travel with China but seem reluctant to go the whole hog, as Singapore did a few years ago. Now they have struck a deal with Burma for visa free travel by air. I think this is a way stage on the path to visa free travel with China.

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I seriously doubt a 6 month multi entry tourist visa is going to help. Most genuine tourists have a set time here & certainly do not plan to go in & out of the country over a period of 6 months. There is so much they could do with changing visa rules, especially long term ones for people who live here, support families & spend money all year round. Money which feeds into the grass roots economy, unlike all the Chinese tourists who's money only benefits a select few.

Actually it would - if you talk to many of the tourists coming to Thailand they are no longer just coming to see Thailand. With so many other countries in the region, they are simply using Thailand as a base for exploring the region. With it's excellent transport links and superior road infrastructure and flight schedules compared to most neighboring countries, Thailand is a natural base for transiting the rest of the region. Someone might land in Bangkok, head to Siem Reap 3 days later, do Cambodia, then head over to Nam, cross into Laos, back to Thailand, spend a month or so here, then Myanmar, then Thailand again, then Malaysia. Although it is possible to do that now using a visa waiver, first of all, some nationals only get 15 days visa free which may not be enough and secondly, there is less scrutiny applied to visitors in possession of valid visas (of any type) than visa free visitors so this visa will likely eliminate the whole visa run fiasco that started last year.

A multi-entry visa also helps retirees and other long-term tourists who might want to spend 3-6 months in the country (usually during their colder months back home) without having to apply for permits, visa extensions or even new visas altogether. It's also flexible in that they can still go to see say Angkor Wat, without going through the whole re-entry permit business, even if they're not difficult to apply for, but they can be a nuisance especially for older people not so well versed in these things and who prefer to lead a more streamlined, less stressful life, especially when they're on holiday.

" without going through the whole re-entry permit business "

where did you read under this proposed new Visa that it will no longer be necessary to purchase a re-entry permit each time you leave the country?

I always get a triple entry visa and there is no re-entry permit necessary.

Hmmm, 6 month multi entry tourist visa. Sounds good (for some), but I wonder how long the entry stamp will be. 30 days, 90 days or the full 6 months? If less than 6 months, I can see a lot of tourists having immigration 'problems' if they don't check the date on the stamp.

If a 6 month entry, will they be required to do 90 day reporting?

Everything seems rather vague, perhaps intentionally, but more likely they have not thought it through completely.

Also, from the OP: 'The agency will also develop more attractions, train more human resources, increase security, publicise second-tier destinations and fill up business in the low season'

Sounds very ambitious, but develop more attractions? Not sure any 'developed attractions' would help much. I am sure it would attract the locals, but it is not why foreign tourists travel, unless it is something spectacular and world class.

I seriously doubt a 6 month multi entry tourist visa is going to help. Most genuine tourists have a set time here & certainly do not plan to go in & out of the country over a period of 6 months. There is so much they could do with changing visa rules, especially long term ones for people who live here, support families & spend money all year round. Money which feeds into the grass roots economy, unlike all the Chinese tourists who's money only benefits a select few.

Actually it would - if you talk to many of the tourists coming to Thailand they are no longer just coming to see Thailand. With so many other countries in the region, they are simply using Thailand as a base for exploring the region. With it's excellent transport links and superior road infrastructure and flight schedules compared to most neighboring countries, Thailand is a natural base for transiting the rest of the region. Someone might land in Bangkok, head to Siem Reap 3 days later, do Cambodia, then head over to Nam, cross into Laos, back to Thailand, spend a month or so here, then Myanmar, then Thailand again, then Malaysia. Although it is possible to do that now using a visa waiver, first of all, some nationals only get 15 days visa free which may not be enough and secondly, there is less scrutiny applied to visitors in possession of valid visas (of any type) than visa free visitors so this visa will likely eliminate the whole visa run fiasco that started last year.

A multi-entry visa also helps retirees and other long-term tourists who might want to spend 3-6 months in the country (usually during their colder months back home) without having to apply for permits, visa extensions or even new visas altogether. It's also flexible in that they can still go to see say Angkor Wat, without going through the whole re-entry permit business, even if they're not difficult to apply for, but they can be a nuisance especially for older people not so well versed in these things and who prefer to lead a more streamlined, less stressful life, especially when they're on holiday.

where did you read under this proposed new Visa that it will no longer be necessary to purchase a re-entry permit each time you leave the country?

multiple entry visas don't need re-entry permits

If you have a multi entry visa you can come and go as you please, no need for a re-entry permit. I have been on a multi entry non O for years, never had to get/use a re-entry permit.

Wish they would do an " extension of stay " for a 5 year period at a reasonable cost of 20/30 thousand baht to include 5 year multi entry but hey this is Thailand they would never dream up this idea to help those of us who call the place home and spend our money to help the local economy !

I always get a triple entry visa and there is no re-entry permit necessary.

Unless you want to leave/re-enter Thailand more than 3 times, or shortly after one of your entries want to visit another country but don't want to lose the remaining x days of the current entry.

If you have a multi entry visa you can come and go as you please, no need for a re-entry permit. I have been on a multi entry non O for years, never had to get/use a re-entry permit.

I was always under the impression that on a Multi entry you have to exit the country at least every 90 days or have they changed the rules ?

The million dollar question is HOW MANY BBACK TO BACK could you get and assuming there would be some kind of limit what will they do then tell you to stay Thailand for 3months?

Maybe there will be a limit of one per year?

But then you could just go to Laos and apply for a double entry?

These are some of the questions that will be interesting to see how they will be answered.

I'm sure mmanny HIGH QUALITY TOURIST VISA RUNNERS will be waiting to see what happens!

<"Currently, citizens of 30-40 countries can enter the Kingdom without a visa">

One of the things I like about this country is there ability to come up with complicated ideas even though there skills in Math are absolutely terrible. 30-40 countries .... Is it really that hard to sit down and count them. I think they had one officer count and he came up with 30 and just to be sure they asked another officer to count and he came up with 40. So they asked 20 officers to count and they received a range of counts .... 30,32,35,36, 40,38, etc. So being great problem solvers, they decided to just say 30-40 and nobody would loose face. Great idea. We in the West could learn something from these people!

coffee1.gifrolleyes.gif

-A heads up on the backpacker or cheap 2 star traveler: I read an article once in the Bangkok Post that the backpacker is important to the economy since the money goes towards the 1-2-3 star hotel or hostel (locally owned) or soi vendor or small owned ma&pa cafe selling Pad Thai and 40baht beer. In some ways the money spent by this kind of traveler goes back into the local economy more than the 5 star tourist whose dollar/baht is going into the internationl company bank acct.

Duhh and i just had to jump all the hoops to get my multiple while i 'm married with a Thai. They even refused my application because the photograph i used was the same as last year.

So all these new quality tourists also don't have to show money on the bank?

So you are actualy telling the forum, that you produced the same photo that is already in your last application, sorry but i am laghing so hard.PHOTOS have to be withing 6 months of taking them hahahahahhahaha

No Probably the stupid photo they requests for him and his wife in their house, or out the front of their house.

You'd only need the re-entry permit once the visa has expired and you've still go time left on your current entry. Just like every other visa. I'm on multi visa now, I get a new stamp every time I arrive.

I wonder have they realised the amount of money they are providing to the likes of Cambodia when forcing some people to do visa runs, the first step was allowing people to get an extension of 30 days at the local immigration office bringing in 2k a pop, interesting to see how this is going to work

The number of expats, compared to tourists, is very small and much less significant money-wise ... esp. the border-runners.

There are millions and millions of tourists every year, but no where near that many expats.

BTW, I mean no criticism of border-runners. I've done it many times myself in the past. But, generally they have less money ... and thus spend less.

A step in the right direction!

Are you all familiar with that expression?

if I were the Thai team trying to create a more positive tourist and Foreigner environment, where would I go to get instant feedback?

Thai Visa.

And what would I see?

Negative, cynical and counter productive comments .. including a "Dash of Bash"

My conclusion would be, "Nothing can make these people happy, even when we move in the direction they claim they want, they cry like a school girl who fell off her bike."

Never mind ... let's work on something else .. noting makes these whiners smile. EVER.

Suggestion: How about .. just for a change .. some POSITIVE FEEDBACK for them to read?

This is great for tourists who are doing the South East Asia tour. Most don't have definite plans, and this would give them more freedom to come and go. Many would likely spend more time in Thailand on their tour as well.

Next step is to follow the Philippines lead and make a retirement visa for those under 50. They would be required to show double the amount in the bank of those over 50. Those legitimately retired that are under 50, or offshore workers I would guess are typically bigger spenders than those over 50. Why not make it easier for them to spend their money in Thailand.

Maybe they got tired of tourist spending their money in Cambodia? Cambodia even has a full moon party now!

...oh-oh...hope they don't try to sue Cambodia...

..like they threatened Singapore for celebrating Songkran....

Please tell me,Why is it always moan moan moan, at any new idea they have over here? Its always yes but, IF! or no I dont think so. Most of the posts (not the news ) on any of the theads are based on hearsay,except for the funny ones, The funniest last only a while before they are, for some reason deleted.

Thailand ministers make so many new rules and then say to them selves, Oh Shit, never thought about than.

They should seriously think about the old saying in the West. "PUT YOUR BRAIN INTO OPERATION BEFORE YOU OPEN YOUR MOUTH"

charging 5,000 bt, they should do the visa thing free not look at how much money they will make out of it. They want the tourists so make it benefit the tourists as well as the country.

They should seriously think about the old saying in the West. "PUT YOUR BRAIN INTO OPERATION BEFORE YOU OPEN YOUR MOUTH"???????

They would have to have a brain first.

So a year after forcing thousands of expats out of Thailand - expats who did border runs but who still no doubt spent lots of money in Thailand, they come back with this.

I think the same rules will apply. It you're considered to be working in Thailand you may still get kicked out. You also will have to apply for this from another country, so you'll still have to leave. In any case, I don't know any expats that were forced out of Thailand. And certainly thousands were not forced out. Can you explain where exactly they were forced out from? I've never seen any mention of thousand being forced out.

Neither have I.

They have already killed the golden goose with all the cr^^ of the past few years. Dreamy budget backpacker kids now (who want to get horizontal refreshment) and Chinese or Indians who share one Coke between six. A friend works in a hotel which caters for the latter groups, and I believe him.

Thailand was good in the 1970s and 80s.

Expats who can show 65,000b per month income plus, are keeping it all going.

When they say tourism is up by 15%, it's all hawking and shouting Chinese with 500b to spend. Joke!

Eddy

Stupidity as usual, for the same money I can get a one year multiple entry visa in Europe.

For being a backpacker?

Jobwolf:

If my Aunt had a willie, she would be my Uncle.

What is your point?

Don't you think a familly of 4 would be put of having to pay 20,000 baht for a visa?

If not, thy not charge 10,000 baht, and double the 140,000,000,000

why don't they charge everybody 5000 baht on arrival ? you can stay 6 month, but you don't have too ... as most are here for 30 days max ...

now 28.000.000 x 5.000 =

Maybe they got tired of tourist spending their money in Cambodia? Cambodia even has a full moon party now!

quality tourist? do they mean the chinese who wash their feet and underwear in wash basins? do they mean the tourist that defecate when and where ever they want? do they mean the russian mafia who prey on people in pattaya? do they mean the sex perverts who prowl soi cowboy and sukhumvit four looking for young boys?do they mean the nigerians who scam unsuspecting thai's out of their baht?

ALL the above tourist are welcomed in without cost on a daily basis!

so how do you propose they identify the undesirables? They dont actually walk through the airport with signs on their heads saying paedo, pervert etc

They won't be able to identify them, but they can make sure the punishment will be so severe, and I mean severe, when caught.

It may not be the complete answer but it will cut it down.

Archived