Corruption and Lies at UPS Airport Customs

tsk3009

I wonder if UPS Thailand is a 100% owned entity or has thai majority ownership. There is reason to beleive that brand reputation is the least of concerns for these thai owned subsiduries of foreign companies.

It would be very easy to hit up everyone receiving packages in thailand with a made up list of fees that most would pay without question.

The real problem is customs. The corruption there feeds into the companies that deal with customs, who then see an opportunity to skim as well

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last year I went to a UPS store in Atlanta, GA to ship some personal items to Chiang Mai. I had the same problems you encountered. I received emails from someone asking a question about the shipment. I was told it was in a warehouse and I would be charged 100 baht a day for storage. I keep receiving email from this person asking the same question over and over again. Calling them did no good.

Some of you may know that UPS is headquartered in Atlanta. I called their corporate office and raised holy hell. The next day I received a call from the UPS Thailand manager who apologized and received the shipment later that day.

UPS is an international corporation. Don't deal with the locals call the Corporate Office.

UPS. Had to pay approx 90% of value. First and last time used.

Royal Mail tracked and signed. Paid 7 yes seven baht to postman. Gave him 13 baht tip.

Both packages from UK . Small bike engine parts about 100 UK pound value.

Thats it ruin it for the rest of us....13 baht ...what were you thinkinglaugh.png

you live in a country which finds blatant lying the norm, even when its right in their face they just keep on doing it, they have no shame from top to bottom.

Easy easy you will have the love it or leave it boys on your back and they are a nasssty bunch. I am sure that they are loading up their vocabulary as we speak. Put on your hard hat and bunker down.

Between UPS, Fed Ex, and the post office, the only way to ship into Thailand is the latter.

I've had shipped numerous boxes through the USPS/Thai Post, of various sizes and never, not once, has the shipment been held up or any money demanded.

Having said that, I always wrote the address in both English (official doc) and Thai (taped on side), and both the sender and receiver had (made up) Thai names.

While I've heard of many who didn't write the address in Thai, and also experienced no problems, I always figure "an ounce of prevention …."

Australia Post is also reliable, but Oz merchants will not use them.

In the U.S., the Post Office is reliable, but many merchants will not use them.

Thai Post is reliable, too.

I find the internal workers with USPost office not to honest. I have had parcels cut open and the contents stolen. A lot of shippers especially Ebay ones have problems with them.

Between UPS, Fed Ex, and the post office, the only way to ship into Thailand is the latter.

I've had shipped numerous boxes through the USPS/Thai Post, of various sizes and never, not once, has the shipment been held up or any money demanded.

Having said that, I always wrote the address in both English (official doc) and Thai (taped on side), and both the sender and receiver had (made up) Thai names.

While I've heard of many who didn't write the address in Thai, and also experienced no problems, I always figure "an ounce of prevention …."

Ditto. USPS, Thai post, no problem. Though in fairness to the other workers, they could do with better management. Even when they get it, USPS - Thai Post.

I had to mess around with FDA crap as I received a care package from my family for my wife and I. My sister had included one tube of cheap lipstick and because it's a cosmetic item I was advised that it was causing an issue. But the resolution was to fill out some sort of FDA declaration form, which after duly submitting and paying assorted fees I received my package.

Sending things via courier is hit and miss. Sometimes things sail straight through. Sometimes they're hit with insane duty valuations. I think it's down to the random checking by customs and also the personal relationships between the courier clearance agent and customs.

Perhaps cosmetics are under different regulations than food. Small quantities of non-perishable food items for personal use and commercial samples should slide through to the destination without any hassle. So says Thai FDA officials and the Thai FDA website. http://www.fda.moph.go.th/eng/food/details/apply.stm

I had a small package which was a sample come from the USA and it had no value declared.

Someone in DHL had put the weight as 10Kg when it was in fact just a small jiffy bag about 50g. Nevertheless, they tried to stiff us for something like 2000 baht in duty on something worth 250 baht.

Even though they had the package and it was clearly not 10Kg, they would not budge. Eventually we told them we would not pay it so send it back. After that they said they would 'absorb the charge themselves' as a goodwill gesture.

When we got it, it had no such weight declaration on it.

I will never use FedEx again after they charged me $100 because the person who sent it did it on their own FedEx account and did not pay it. I didn't even have an account with them. Eventually they sold the debt to a debt collection company in the UK and I started to get threatening letters !.

I will always get stuff sent stuff EMS in the future.

I had a problem with DHL with taxes and fees on Christmas presents. I complained to the Thai side and UK. In the end I paid nothing.

Recently my friend wanted to give me 2 items worth about £250 as a gift. I decided to fly to Hong Kong to collect rather than letting him post them. Decided it would be less hassle

you live in a country which finds blatant lying the norm, even when its right in their face they just keep on doing it, they have no shame from top to bottom.

Easy easy you will have the love it or leave it boys on your back and they are a nasssty bunch. I am sure that they are loading up their vocabulary as we speak. Put on your hard hat and bunker down.

Im cowering up the corner too afraid to even breath......dunno how long I can hold out though, face gone a bit purple and things seem a bit dizzy?

Using Thai names, ingenious.

I will actually ask them that for fun surangw, but let me reassure you they won't respond.

The samples aren't worth much but I absolutely need them and it's super inconvenient. That sounds like a good idea before I ask the manufacturer to send another same except using the postal service and a fake Thai name.

It's funny, once I exposed all of XXX lies and sent a complaint to the head office, some other random person just sent me an email asking to pay as if nothing had happened. I was sure to add XXX email address to the response.

How will you collect the goods on a fake name?

He doesn't have to "collect" the goods. The post office simply delivers them to the address on the label.

If the item is to large for the post office to deliver then they have to be picked up at the post office, they will require Identification at that point.

Royal Mail tracked and signed. Paid 7 yes seven baht to postman. Gave him 13 baht tip.

Does anyone know what the 7 baht charge is? The office downstairs always pays it and gets it back from me, I know it's a valid charge because sometimes there is a stamp on the parcel in Thai but obviously indicating a charge of 7 baht. It isn't every parcel either, maybe 50% hit rate.

I'm not objecting to the charge, but if anyone knows what it actually is I would appreciate their sharing.

Know how you feel. Had the same bull crap with DHL. In the end told them to send the iten back to shipper and the a££holes got nothing. They are so bad and I now refuse to accept anything shipped to me by vendors via them. Vote with your feet and alert all others.

Know how you feel. Had the same bull crap with DHL. In the end told them to send the iten back to shipper and the a££holes got nothing. They are so bad and I now refuse to accept anything shipped to me by vendors via them. Vote with your feet and alert all others. Truth is not a strong point with thais. Money and face is all that matters.

Simply get used to it . This is Thailand theft is part of every day business by everyone , try shipping anything through long toi docks, everyone you have to deal with demands money , even the bloody fork lift driver.

I would not be arsed over the 1,000bt, it would have ended up a lot cheaper if you paid the 1,000. You got the samples for free are you expecting every thing free Man.

The package was received last Wednesday, which they immediately detained the because they falsely claimed it needed all the registration nonsense. So add all the other fees plus 5 days in the warehouse because of the 4 day weekend. Then I had to run around and figure out how to register with Customs, which I didn't need to do in actuality. That was a UPS lie. I contacted the FDA once I suspected that this was all a bag of lies and they confirmed it. That took about a week in total. 2 days since then. In total 100 USD.

I was never given the option to pay the only 1284 baht plus the other non-warehouse bullshit fees, UPS automatically put it in the warehouse based on false pretenses, saying I needed all this registration and that they would do the registration themselves if I paid the fees. The thing is, there was no registration I need to do with customs and the FDA. It was all a bag of lies.

Spend another 100USD and sew them.

Worst aspect I encountered was being charged (well they tried) as described above for an item that was being "returned" !!

it was made in Thailand, shipped from Thailand and being sent back to me, they treated it like an import !! I never paid, and who knows where it ended up.Ridiculous scenario.

I do video reviews for a US Tech Forum. I have Smartphones shipped to me every month. 90% are shipped DHL as these phone manufactures have unbeatable rates with them.

Last month I received 2 phones. The first arrived with no customs or VAT fees. The second phone has B950 in fees. I called DHL and asked why. I was told my first delivery was valued at $30. and the second at $60. The DHL rep stated that $30. is the no fee threshold.

I told her according to Custom regulations, there is no duty on computer products and Mobile Phones are listed in that category. I added that the package was marked as a sample and VAT should not be charged as well.

She did remove all the charges including DHL charges for processing the package, but would not remove the VAT charge.

I do agree that the carriers to implement these charges to make money. I also believe that I was credited due to the number of shipments I received and who they come from.

Got any phones for sale?

UPS will also have a 200b delivery charge, wait for it. Then the actual delivery guy wont let you hand it over and sign for it till you give him a 200b cash bribe, even when you record it openly. Worse is the no reply from a complaint to UPS. Have a better history with Fedex in Thailand.

Yes I recently had packages from both FedEx and DHL and had no issue. I had prepaid taxes on one of them.

A past Fedex package wanted taxes too but this list from UPS is over the top.

If you absolutely must have it you have little choice, although I would complain to UPS and the sender and investigate future alternatives.

Personally I would refuse to accept it.

I do video reviews for a US Tech Forum. I have Smartphones shipped to me every month. 90% are shipped DHL as these phone manufactures have unbeatable rates with them.

Last month I received 2 phones. The first arrived with no customs or VAT fees. The second phone has B950 in fees. I called DHL and asked why. I was told my first delivery was valued at $30. and the second at $60. The DHL rep stated that $30. is the no fee threshold.

I told her according to Custom regulations, there is no duty on computer products and Mobile Phones are listed in that category. I added that the package was marked as a sample and VAT should not be charged as well.

She did remove all the charges including DHL charges for processing the package, but would not remove the VAT charge.

I do agree that the carriers to implement these charges to make money. I also believe that I was credited due to the number of shipments I received and who they come from.

What do you do with all the phones...I'm in the market for a new smartphone.

Does anyone know what the 7 baht charge is? The office downstairs always pays it and gets it back from me, I know it's a valid charge because sometimes there is a stamp on the parcel in Thai but obviously indicating a charge of 7 baht. It isn't every parcel either, maybe 50% hit rate.

I'm not objecting to the charge, but if anyone knows what it actually is I would appreciate their sharing.

Is does seem a strange figure, in fact I thought he meant 70 baht, which I would have paid happily anyway.

There is a third package on the way now and should arrive next week. I will try to find out and post if I get an answer.

Interesting point is that it takes between 2 and 3 days to get from UK to Bangkok and 5 to 7 days to do the other 200 kilometres from Bangkok to the house

Edited by overherebc

What do you do with all the phones...I'm in the market for a new smartphone.

I usually send them to my HO and we have a Forum Contest.

Last year I went to a UPS store in Atlanta, GA to ship some personal items to Chiang Mai. I had the same problems you encountered. I received emails from someone asking a question about the shipment. I was told it was in a warehouse and I would be charged 100 baht a day for storage. I keep receiving email from this person asking the same question over and over again. Calling them did no good.

Some of you may know that UPS is headquartered in Atlanta. I called their corporate office and raised holy hell. The next day I received a call from the UPS Thailand manager who apologized and received the shipment later that day.

UPS is an international corporation. Don't deal with the locals call the Corporate Office.

I did just that. I contacted headquarters. The employees kept telling me I needed to resolve the problem with UPS Thailand, but UPS Thailand is the problem I told them. It's not an individual but the entire branch or location itself. They said that's all they could do. They probably assumed I was some kind of irate and unreasonable customer, which to be honest if in their shoes not knowing what I know, I would probably think the same.

I would not be arsed over the 1,000bt, it would have ended up a lot cheaper if you paid the 1,000. You got the samples for free are you expecting every thing free Man.

The package was received last Wednesday, which they immediately detained the because they falsely claimed it needed all the registration nonsense. So add all the other fees plus 5 days in the warehouse because of the 4 day weekend. Then I had to run around and figure out how to register with Customs, which I didn't need to do in actuality. That was a UPS lie. I contacted the FDA once I suspected that this was all a bag of lies and they confirmed it. That took about a week in total. 2 days since then. In total 100 USD.

I was never given the option to pay the only 1284 baht plus the other non-warehouse bullshit fees, UPS automatically put it in the warehouse based on false pretenses, saying I needed all this registration and that they would do the registration themselves if I paid the fees. The thing is, there was no registration I need to do with customs and the FDA. It was all a bag of lies.

Spend another 100USD and sew them.

The UPS Thailand website says the following... "Routine customs clearance automatically included in all UPS air service rates (where applicable)" but when your package arrives UPS then demands you pay for "Customs formality charges". Legally, does this not constitute consumer fraud? Anyone with a legal background care to comment... And UPS must have done this to how many thousands of people. And I actually sent a message yesterday to a large Bangkok-based law firm and am currently awaiting a response.

I'm having the exact same issue with UPS. At least DHL tells me which hoops to jump through in order to receive my package. The funny thing was the UPS representative in Thailand actually recommended I use DHL in the future for shipments to the Kingdom.

I informed her she could jump off a bridge with my package.. :)

Kurt

I had the same problem with FedEx,, a friend shipped me an old laptop, for some parts,, it was labeled as, "damaged, parts only, no commercial value", (which was true, it had clearly been dropped), He used FedEx, Global priority, it states 3-5 days,,, 2 week later, STILL no package although the tracking info showed it as having passed through the sort facility, and customs,, I Googled, "FedEx main office, Bangkok", or similar,, Hoping I could find out it's location, and go there myself.... Instead of getting an address, The 1st page of results were ALL things like, "Never use FedEx in Thailand",, "FedEx and Thai customs are thieves",,, "NEVER use UPS/FedEx in Thailand",,, etc, etc,, When it finally showed up, they had tacked on an import duty, as if it were a NEW laptop, several other fees, and fees for, "storage" or the like,, Since then, I've only used Thai Post, EMS,,, never a problem, and they'll actually deliver on SUNDAY!,, A great idea is to have it addressed in my Thai girl's name, (she lives with me) I was actually told by a Thai Postal person, "No import fees for Thai person",,, Not sure if that's completely true, as I'm sure on an expensive item there may be some duty. It's exactly the same with the Cops, not stopping 3 Thai's on a scooter, with NO helmets,,, "They Thai, have no money",,,,,

Edited by Adeeos