cheap clean guesthouse Sihanoukville

starship

Hi

I'm thinking on taking a break in Sihanoukville, maybe 2-4 weeks - never been there before. Looking for any recommendations for a cheap clean guesthouse with free Wifi.

Alternatively, are there cafes with free Wifi where you can get an affordable tea or coffee (rather than 100B prices like Bangkok).

I'm after somewhere that's quiet and relaxed in the day, but has access to bars and entertainment at night. Otres beach looks good but maybe to quiet for me at night and most accommodation I've seen seems to be more expensive. What's it like at the beaches near town or at Victory hill? I don't have to be at the beach all the time. Any recommendations?

I also will be going there around the end of the month or start of next. I think it's still the rainy season. Is it still O.K at that time of the year or best to avoid the beaches. Just want a quiet break. It doesn't need to be amazing weather everyday.

Your thoughts

Thanks

Yeah, I'd heard it was quite grungy, but I've been used to that in the past. Surely it can't be like that everywhere though. I've done some research but there are hundreds of places there, so was kind of hoping to get some recommendations. Maybe I'll just check it out when I get there. Nice to know you can get a reasonably priced cuppa there though.

• 2 weeks later...

For that length of stay I would book somewhere reliable for 2 nights. I found Aqua Family Resort (the 'family' bit means guys and their Camby/Thai wives/squeezes plus the odd kid or two, but I was unattached as were many others) clean welcoming and good value. It's a couple of blocks behind Serendipity Beach 200 meters from the Golden Lion roundabout and is only 529 baht a night in September per booking.com.

Hire a bike (motorbike unless you are a cycle/health freak - distances between beach areas and ents are surprisingly lengthy in this town) and look for yourself. There's an oversupply out of Jan/Feb season and you'll have no difficulty finding somewhere cheaper that's clean and suits. Beats committing too early and only you know what area/style of accom you like.

The other place I liked was 'Route 66', more like a backpacker and run by a madly gregarious French-Canadian and his charmingly tolerant Camby wife, but that's on a main road away from the beaches (worth it for beer/food if you notice it in passing on the way to Victory from town). May have changed - it's been a couple of years; would not be surprised if wifey vacated!

Snooky can be a bit tawdry in parts, but SiemReaper is being far too hyper-critical IMO. Loads of clean places to stay at all levels and i found Serendipity beach fine. Just such a shame that you have to spend the best part of a day getting there from PP (yes I read the plans to upgrade the road) otherwise I'd be going back again next week.

Sihanoukville is great you can get a good cheap ac room at kangaroo kitchen 120 per month but in the city closer to the beach ac dorm at the rock 3 dollars per night ochres beach. Or hotel eios orchital 2 nice beach very quiet.avoid all gbts as they are a rip off and the tuk tuks will take you straight to them commission .

I avoid tuk tuks wherever possible anyway, but I'm intrigued to know what your acronym/mnemonic means.

Anyone else worked it out?

girlie-bar trans-sexuals? That would fit nicely for Snooky!

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
On 6/6/2017 at 8:27 PM, bangkokairportlink said:

How is Otres beach now ? Somewhere to eat 24 hours ? And what is the best front beach resort in your opinion ? Thanks.

yep wouldn't mind knowing myself if anyone has visited.....

John rented aqua resort  to the Chinese months ago;

look  anywhere around Victory hill .or on the main road between victory hill and the golden lion roundabout

plenty of rooms for under $150/month  unless u want stay in a dorm than under $100

If u stay at otres, u need transportation as its far from anywhere.

Archived