Stallions 400cc - Any good?

azerty66

I just saw the new Stallion 400cc in Chiang Mai. It looks very nice.

Is it any good? How much is it?

I am pretty sure that I am going to buy one as this is (for me) the nicest bike available in Thailand. A very good base to make a proper Cafe Racer.

What do you guys think????

8yLeCK1438881019.jpg

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe but I am not rich and this one has electrical starter and do not have the stupid/awful oil filter on the side that the Yamaha has...

+with the Yamaha, half of cost goes to the Goverment in taxes (import)

I do not know the price. That is why I was asking in my post...

The guys at the chop had no clue. Apparently they have to wait “a bike show in August in Bkk”.... Buy maybe some of you guys know the price already???

And what about quality? How do the 150cc from Stallons perform?

I have 2 SR, but I do like the Stallion as well. I wouldn't expect the same level of quality of course, but then, I believe it will be considerably cheaper. My guess is around 150k.

After watching the mocyc.com video review, I think you'll have to invest in decent rear shocks and front springs, as well as change all the nuts and bolts with good quality ones. The guy said that after 3 days of riding in bad weather, he found rust on various parts.

Still, if I didn't already have the SR, I could consider getting one.

I do not know the price. That is why I was asking in my post...

The guys at the chop had no clue. Apparently they have to wait “a bike show in August in Bkk”.... Buy maybe some of you guys know the price already???

And what about quality? How do the 150cc from Stallons perform?

I already look at the 150 and there is a thread here on them if you search. Weld quality on the frame is absolutely atrocious.

I have 2 SR, but I do like the Stallion as well. I wouldn't expect the same level of quality of course, but then, I believe it will be considerably cheaper. My guess is around 150k.

After watching the mocyc.com video review, I think you'll have to invest in decent rear shocks and front springs, as well as change all the nuts and bolts with good quality ones. The guy said that after 3 days of riding in bad weather, he found rust on various parts.

Still, if I didn't already have the SR, I could consider getting one.

I forget the price on the 150 but wasnt sub 60K? So with luck the 400 could be circa 100K Then 20K on some nice aftermarket upgrades and one would have a decent bike for less than half the cost of a new SR. But with very little resale value. The rust is an issue, and can be parlty address by changing out the nuts and bolts for stainless, but my guess is the frame will be rusted out at the welded joints in just a few years.

The good news is these bikes are 60,000 plus , depending on exact model . Their top model - Stallion Cafe Racer 150 Limited Edition - is 77,000 ,available in black or white , and has some very fancy wheels and susspension ( up-side down forks and reservior shocks ) . Ideal as a stylish runabout , and very popular on the " Distinguished Gentlemans " ride-outs / owners clubs . Google for more info . The Keeway shop in Chiang Mai ( highway 11 near Makro - 1 KM North of the Benelli shop ) has some in , but the LTD may be special order .

The good news is these bikes are 60,000 plus , depending on exact model . Their top model - Stallion Cafe Racer 150 Limited Edition - is 77,000 ,available in black or white , and has some very fancy wheels and susspension ( up-side down forks and reservior shocks ) . Ideal as a stylish runabout , and very popular on the " Distinguished Gentlemans " ride-outs / owners clubs . Google for more info . The Keeway shop in Chiang Mai ( highway 11 near Makro - 1 KM North of the Benelli shop ) has some in , but the LTD may be special order .

Jeff, put down you beer and have another read.

This thread is about the new 400cc cafe racer

The SR400 is ridiculously priced and the output is something like 27hp topssad.png.

I like the SR's myself since a SR500 was my first big bike in the 1980ish something and I went all over EU on it.

This new Stallion 400 is indeed very interesting if the price is low but I doubt very much it will be 100k baht, keep on dreamingwink.png

Electric start too, very good, I like that, does it have FI I wonder, I hope so.

OOPS !! , sorry , and no beer ! . In the OP,s second post ( post 5 ) he mentions 150 cc . This 400 is a new model , and upon closer inspection , i can now see two exhaust down pipes . This may be a similar engine to a bike company called " Mash " in England . On a 400 i would think F I . 140,000 would be very welcome . Not as good as a Yamaha SR , for sure , but a lot less money .

Funny you should say that, only last week in France I saw an almost identical bike with a 'Mash' badge on it. I don't know which name is worse!

Quality will be nowhere near as good as the Yamaha I suspect, but you get what you pay for. Would be nice to see these appear at under 150k, and I think there's a market for them. The SR400/500 is a great bike to cruise about on in comfort, but they're so expensive, and most of the older ones have no paperwork. Also could indeed be a good basis for a cafe racer project, and many of the SR aftermarket parts would be adaptable.

Twin pipes, looks like a single though, and it is clearly influenced by the SR. No experience with the 150cc Stallions but they look good for a cheap cafe racer...

The 150 version is really popular in my area. Classic styling + low price point, they really seem to have hit the nail on the head for this market. If the 400 is cheaply priced I imagine it will sell pretty well too. Can't speak to long term reliability though. Obviously Yamaha would have better build quality, but, as others have said, the SR400 is way overpriced.

As is often the case , these bikes are being sold under different "brand names" depending on that countries market preferences . Searching further , i found them marketed as Shineray ( not sold in Thailand ) .Some prices of 120 - 140,000 are mentioned - sites are in Thai / Chinese . There is a fantastic Limited Edition "Von Dutch" model (200 made) for £5,300 ( 275,000 ) in England . Looks like a street tracker / cafe racer with dual sport tires .

For those following this thread.

Make sure you also check out the Suzuki FAN FAN.

It is a little know model that is available here.

Last year I saw one at a bike shop in PHuket Town that was fully modified into a cafe racer. Fat alloy rims, trap exhaust, oversized brakes and lots of bling. Look great and sounded fantastic. I think they also retail in the 100-150K range but only a 125.

Van van is the coolest 125cc money can buy imo, a young dude near my condo rides one and I thought it was a 400 because of the big wheels and the noise lol but those maybe he modified from stock...

There is 2 of the stallion bikes at my office, they look great from a few meters away but upclose they're cheap and nasty

I wouldn't rate the quality above any other Chinese bikes but if your like working on a bike maybe it would do.... I couldn't trust it going flat out... Wouldn't even trust the brakes or clutch cables not to snap since these you can visibly measure rust by the day...

This is your life your talking about, 2nd hand Honda or ninja250 is the same price and much safer bet imo... Less retro cool factor but you gets what you pay for....

Sales girl at BITEC motorshow told me it won't be over 150,000.

150k for a fake Chinese cafe racer is Laughable

For this to be legit, they need to get Thais on board, the farang market is not worth considering and if I know Thais, they wouldn't buy a tiger boxer 250cc around 70ish (I bought one and it was a world of trouble )

Honda came out with a "slow" 250 and selling off the chart since, and now a 300,same same I think

The numbers cany lie...

Well if it cost around 150k baht I think it will sell very well to Thais.

Just see how popular the 150cc is, I see a lot in Pattaya, mostly Thais riding them.

How much is the SR400? 285k baht I believe, so if you can get a Stallion for almost 1/2 price, I think many will risk it.

It got Bosh FI and that engine is an ex Honda something from the 80's, so don't rule it out yet.

150k is too high IMO. You can get a CBR300 for less than that.

I know this thing looks cool if you're into the retro look but it's still an unproven Chinese knock off of a SR with limited dealerships. It shouldn't be too far north of 100k I reckon.

It sounds interesting. If its completely produced by Shinery, like said in the a review of the Mash Roadstar 400, imo thats a good thing.

But better wait and see. If it comes to thailand as knock-down kit or semi-knocked-down there are many ways to make a good bike bad at assembling.

Archived