Stallions 400cc - Any good?

azerty66

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Stevemercer said:

You are right...my apologies.

I got my wife to inquire about buying one of the CT 400s. She was told none were available.

Not surprising.

Come here, oh wait we don't have any of those anymore, but we have that new model for 1xx,xxx baht if you want !

On 10/8/2018 at 10:09 AM, Happy Grumpy said:

Well, that's good value.

Also a sign that it's the end. The company is finished and it's selling off all it's remaining stock for anything they can. 

unfortunately you're guess isn't right, I was in touch with the company just yesterday and they simple renewing the whole range with updated models, so a new website is up to come ans Stallions still in business...

On 10/18/2018 at 4:12 AM, MekkOne said:

unfortunately you're guess isn't right, I was in touch with the company just yesterday and they simple renewing the whole range with updated models, so a new website is up to come ans Stallions still in business...

Given the progress going on in China, that should be good.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 1/19/2019 at 11:26 AM, Rhys said:

Just get on your bike and ride..

I've done it, bought a 2 year old Ct400 in mint condition from an Aussie guy, he's really looked after it. 

So far I'm really impressed and it was amazing value for a similar price to what the best 4 stroke Phantoms seem to be advertised at. 

I don't seem to be seeing any new ones for sale which is a concern but they are still sold in many countries under various names. 

I intend to do a bit of touring on it over the next few weeks so keep you posted ???? 

• 5 months later...

Hey everybody. I've been reading a lot on here about this bike and hear good things. But the biggest question is, how is the 400cc Scrambler offroad? Is it a true Scrambler or similar to the Ducati Scrambler, just aesthetically a Scrambler? 

The price point of this bike is great, but my philosophy of use will be all terrain. I need a bike that's good on long highway rides, but also capable offroad as well. After reading some bad reviews and hearing the quality of the Stallion was rubbish, I decided to go for the Royal Enfield Himalayan, but this is priced better, and I like the sleek look and weight difference more, so I'm revisiting it. 

What is your guys opinion of the quality of the build? Does it seem like it will last a long time? How are the welds? But most importantly, has anyone taken it off road and if so, how did it fair? This will be the first bike I purchase. 

Thank you in advance.

I would say this is just aesthically a Scrambler, just look at the front forks. How much travel do they offer? I couldn't find the specs, but judging from the pictures it looks half of what a Royal Enfield Himalayan has. The rear shocks won't be better.

If you ride this above 10km/h offroad and weigh more than 70kg you will probably bottom out the suspension all the time.

On 8/11/2015 at 12:52 PM, maykilceksin said:

a bad quality a chinese copy of decades old popular sr400 yamaha.

so wanna ask?

do you buy Sqny or Sunny instead of Sony? Or do you buy Sophone6 instead of a real iphone6?

i do not think so so why you can be so cheap on the motorbikes that carries your soul and your life.

such a bike is disrespect to the heritage of yamaha sr400. So i cannot understand how those sr400 fans like this bike. this chinese knock off is disrespect for all those sr400 followers and disrespect for the Yamaha team designed and created this bike

and sure in a year, it will be a rusty problematic machine like other stallions or lets say like most if not all chinese bikes.

Thanks for the Yamaha heads up! This one is 24 years old! I doubt a Stallion will make it to ten. 

20190505_140002.jpg

On 7/27/2019 at 5:11 PM, Jonasaurus said:

Hey everybody. I've been reading a lot on here about this bike and hear good things. But the biggest question is, how is the 400cc Scrambler offroad? Is it a true Scrambler or similar to the Ducati Scrambler, just aesthetically a Scrambler? 

The price point of this bike is great, but my philosophy of use will be all terrain. I need a bike that's good on long highway rides, but also capable offroad as well. After reading some bad reviews and hearing the quality of the Stallion was rubbish, I decided to go for the Royal Enfield Himalayan, but this is priced better, and I like the sleek look and weight difference more, so I'm revisiting it. 

What is your guys opinion of the quality of the build? Does it seem like it will last a long time? How are the welds? But most importantly, has anyone taken it off road and if so, how did it fair? This will be the first bike I purchase. 

Thank you in advance.

Please do not buy a Royal Enfield. These bikes are so rubbish that it's already insane. They start shaking at 80 km/h and there's quite a lot wrong with these bikes.

I'd ridden a Bullet 250 in India for a few months and I was impressed. Please watch the movie and it's an Indian who tells you what's wrong...!  

2 hours ago, Isaanbiker said:

Please do not buy a Royal Enfield. These bikes are so rubbish that it's already insane. They start shaking at 80 km/h and there's quite a lot wrong with these bikes.

I'd ridden a Bullet 250 in India for a few months and I was impressed. Please watch the movie and it's an Indian who tells you what's wrong...!  

Rubbish.

RE never made a 250 Bullet.

Every 350-500 OHV single vibrates. No counterbalancer, long stroke, heavy flywheel, mass produced, not blueprinted, it can only vibrate,

Part of the charm.

They are certainly not, nor are they marketed as such, as competition to an SR 400. In fact there really is nothing out there like them, and i mean that as complimentary.

If looked after , the things are pretty indestructable. Fixed on the side of the road or in any major town in India.

I certainly would'nt take a couple of Indian Hipster's view on the bikes as gospel.

ShIt these guys would freak if they got a dirty fingernail....

I'd rather trust a goat herder's opinion 4000 metres up in the Himalayas whose owned one for 20 years as his only transport.

15 hours ago, Isaanbiker said:

and it's an Indian who tells you what's wrong...!  

Meaning?

On 1/2/2016 at 10:20 PM, ktm jeff said:

Hi Jack. Always enjoy your bike reviews. Im surprised your battery was completely discharged after just 40 minutes - maybe it was more to do with the inverter rather than the GPS. Can your mechanic wire it to an "ignition live " wire. Sounds like you received good service , something that some dealers need to improve. Im not too sure if many people could tell the difference to easy between the well respected SR and the Stallion , except the price ticket. Enjoy the riding.

It's very easy to switch a relay in between that keeps the inverter off when the ignition is off. The GPS doesn't need much juice. 

17 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

Rubbish.

RE never made a 250 Bullet.

Every 350-500 OHV single vibrates. No counterbalancer, long stroke, heavy flywheel, mass produced, not blueprinted, it can only vibrate,

Part of the charm.

They are certainly not, nor are they marketed as such, as competition to an SR 400. In fact there really is nothing out there like them, and i mean that as complimentary.

If looked after , the things are pretty indestructable. Fixed on the side of the road or in any major town in India.

I certainly would'nt take a couple of Indian Hipster's view on the bikes as gospel.

ShIt these guys would freak if they got a dirty fingernail....

I'd rather trust a goat herder's opinion 4000 metres up in the Himalayas whose owned one for 20 years as his only transport.

I'm sorry, it was a 350 bullet. My apologies it was in the year 1982. The foot brake was on the left side and you had to switch gears with your right foot. 

If a 500 cc bike starts vibrating like hell riding 80 km/h, that you don't even see something in the mirrors then thank you. 

Actually, I wanted to buy a second hand RE 500 last August, not knowing anything about the bad vibes etc. Also the handling is a joke, very bad in curves and you've got to be your own mechanic when you buy such a bike. 

Luckily I've checked some test rides and was shocked what a snail that thing really is. I had already planned to drive to a place near Chonburi to buy a RE in a good condition. 

But to get back on topic, i don't think the Stallions are any worse. They're faster and I'd think more reliable and cheaper. Time will tell. 

Here the price for RE models, pretty frightening for what you get:

Royal Enfield Thailand Price List
Model Price Down payment
Classic 500 ฿ 189,800 37,960
Classic Chrome ฿ 198,800 39,760
Continental GT ฿ 219,800 43,960

We have a 12 year old Yamaha Best II and I can ride 95, there's nothing shaking. My point being is why would anybody spend so much money for a bike that has so many problems?

6 hours ago, Isaanbiker said:

I'm sorry, it was a 350 bullet. My apologies it was in the year 1982. The foot brake was on the left side and you had to switch gears with your right foot. 

If a 500 cc bike starts vibrating like hell riding 80 km/h, that you don't even see something in the mirrors then thank you. 

Yeah, my Triumph still is right foot shift.

Worldwide in 76 they homogolated left foot shift inc Norton, Triumph and HD Sportsters, and some Italian bikes which still liked a right foot shift.

My Triumph is actually a left foot shift 79 that i converted to right foot shift.

Confused?

The Indian made Bullets for some reason got away with it until 12-15 years ago.

Bar exceptions like exotica such as Velocettes, virtually most Brit bike based designs on the 500 singles vibrated like a jackhammer. Why a lot of people prefer the softer 350.

I test rode earlier this  year some legal Thai registered old style 500 Bullets. Yes, fast they are not. Straight to 80 (4 speed box), which is a comfortable cruising/touring speed, and then a painful creep to 100 kph max.

Great fun though.

Wonderful motorcycles.

Oh, and re the topic, saw one of these 400 Stallions close up today. If you are after such a bike, for the money they look a decent bit of well finished kit.

They have nothing to do with an SR400, but are based on the 4 valve twin ex port Honda XR400 single. Good engines.

026.jpg.40dc487c46886795255e53bec7203303.jpg011.thumb.jpg.a62584cc8b954575f0c76a9b81b56faa.jpg013.thumb.jpg.0d03e6b6670b53c89ccb7c28e20f6669.jpg

2 hours ago, Isaanbiker said:

We have a 12 year old Yamaha Best II and I can ride 95, there's nothing shaking. My point being is why would anybody spend so much money for a bike that has so many problems?

# There are no problems as far as i'm aware.

# Buying a bike like this has nothing to do with performance and everything to do with how it makes you feel.

# Takes you back in time to when the world was not in a hurry.

# Has character and soul that no other 350-400-500 single can replicate.

# It's not for everyone, let alone most people, which is fine.

# If you don't get it, that's also fine, but a few people do, and they enjoy a different style of motorcycling, just like tens of thousands of vintage enthusiasts who like plodding along country lanes at 50 mph/80 kph on classic BSA/Norton/Ariel/AJS/Matchless etc singles.

And any other low bhp. high torque bikes like side valve Harleys and Indians etc.

As i said, wonderful motorcycles.

17 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

# There are no problems as far as i'm aware.

# Buying a bike like this has nothing to do with performance and everything to do with how it makes you feel.

# Takes you back in time to when the world was not in a hurry.

# Has character and soul that no other 350-400-500 single can replicate.

# It's not for everyone, let alone most people, which is fine.

# If you don't get it, that's also fine, but a few people do, and they enjoy a different style of motorcycling, just like tens of thousands of vintage enthusiasts who like plodding along country lanes at 50 mph/80 kph on classic BSA/Norton/Ariel/AJS/Matchless etc singles.

And any other low bhp. high torque bikes like side valve Harleys and Indians etc.

As i said, wonderful motorcycles.

I get your point, but I've realised that many people who've bought one tried to sell their bikes short after purchasing them.

I can cruise with mine too, but I need a sort of acceleration and do not want to drive behind all the scooters.  

Archived